Dark Eden Society
1.5k 13 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Souls weren't all equal. The more power they shouldered, the higher their value. The typical High Emissary's soul was worth 500 common souls, while Archon souls averaged at 3,000. Needless to say, Kilian didn't plan to hunt 30,000 common men. No, he would shorten the math with High Emissaries, Archons, or both.

But how?

"The academy has risen to maximum alert. This is no time for sudden disappearances or slaughter. Although we can rob souls without murder, the higher the victims' abilities, the more dire the consequences they face. At the very least, all will drop to Lesser Emissaries," Kilian spoke Jezebel's mind, for indeed those were the thoughts troubling her.

The soul carried all Elemental Crystals and Dra Roots. Losing one's soul was no different from losing any future on the arcane path. Man-made abominations aside, there was no exception.

"Which is why I do not plan to target the academy. I will take a detour and join the Dark Eden Society—using the initiation to harvest a maximum of corrupt and fiendish souls. How does that sound?" Kilian asked with a mischievous smirk.

"Naughty, and deviously cunning. Not even married yet that you're going to orgy behind my back. The sorrow of being a loyal wife," Jezebel pursed her lips and sobbed in false lamentation. Rolling his eyes, Kilian stood up, and from his storage watch, summoned a palm-sized mirror.

A secret cult predating the founding of the Imperial Academy, the Dark Eden Society gathered magi whose houses had been dealing in Dark Magic for centuries or millennia. Needless to say, most were high-ranking nobles. Even within the academy, among professors and students, many members of the Dark Eden Society hid. Interestingly, while none would blow their cover, the Dark Eden Society's members were by no means criminals.

In ancient times, the von Skoll emperors recognized that, just like prostitution, the attraction to Dark Magic was rooted in human nature. After all, side effects aside, Dark Magic is dreadful but simple. Given the right mindset and training, anyone can become a dark magus.

Forcefully banning it would only give rise to stronger cabals of occultists, so instead, they legalized it on the condition that the dark magi banded in one secret order that'd serve the von Skolls across millennia.

Often dubbed as the hidden order, across the ages, the Dark Eden society served as one of the von Skolls' most reliable forces. At the same time, members enjoyed unique resources and privileges, able to indulge in wild hedonistic parties and sin at the state's expenses. Of course, those secret orgies and rituals weren't merely for pleasure. Through them, the Dark Eden's magi also grew more powerful.

All this was common knowledge, but Kilian didn't doubt that to keep such a force under control for millennia, the von Skolls used many tricks. Rumor was that the Dark Eden members all gave up the ownership of their souls.

Connecting to Phira—Arcadia's web—through his mirror, Kilian logged on his account and browsed the Dark Eden's channel. There, a single link for admission requests stood.

While the majority stemmed from high nobility, because of the imperial family's desire to keep all noteworthy, aspiring dark magi under control, the Dark Eden Society wasn't that difficult to join. Tapping in the 1.5 million he kept at his disposal, Kilian purchased an access ticket for 300,000 qraftas, and submitted the following admission request:

"Although thanks to my 36 Unlocked Roots, I've already reached the top-level Lesser Emissary level, as things stand, I have no future. The Dark Eden society is my only hope to a brighter road, and I'm willing to give up anything to join its ranks."

Kilian firmly believed that following his testing results, the Dark Eden Society awaited his application. Indeed, what better weapon could the von Skoll obtain than the most gifted magical talent of all time? As long as they could guarantee his submission, they would not think twice.

And indeed, it didn't take five minutes before a video meeting offer followed. Accepting it, Kilian saw his screen change, and the figure of a cloaked man appear.

"Greetings, Kilian. We've reviewed your profile and are eager to welcome you to our ranks. However, we first must ensure that you will never harm the society's interests by taking something more valuable than your life—your soul," the society member began, watching out for any change in Kilian's face. Surprise flickered in his eyes—his face contorted into a frown—and for six seconds, he kept his eyes shut close.

"Don't be surprised. For a talent of your caliber, once we give you access to the Dark Attribute, your future is hard to fathom. At the very least, you will become a top-level Exarch. Better, you might defeat history and rise to that mythical altitude Arcadians can only dream of.

At that point, the empire's military power could not fetter you. How can we help you onto such a road, if we can't ensure your obedience? Kilian, don't be naive," the member pursued, and after adding another five seconds of struggle for good measure, Kilian nodded in approval.

The society member snapped his fingers, and Kilian's screen turned into a dark-purple vortex from which a crimson coin emerged. Nimbly, the coin dropped into Kilian's right hand.

"Put a drop of your blood on the coin, and it will initiate a soul contract. After you agree to it, several First Circle Spells and the Arcanum of Occultism will flood your mind. Study them diligently. In the meantime, we shall dispatch invitations and prepare a sabbat in the academy's northern forest.

We will send you the exact time and location in three days. Remember, this ritual will not only grant you the Dark Attribute but open doors you never dreamed of. Come prepared." By the time the man finished his words, Kilian cut open his thumb and shed a blood drop on the coin.

Absorbing it, it glowed in a vermillion light and fired a ray at Kilian's forehead. A lengthy contract appeared in his mind. In a nutshell, it ensured that should he attempt to betray the emperor or the Dark Eden's interests, his soul would automatically fall in their High Priest's hands.

The clauses didn't allow for loopholes. Unfortunately for the Dark Eden, Kilian's soul wasn't wholly his, to begin with. To snatch it, they needed Ashera's permission—an impossible task. Without hesitation, Kilian acquiesced to the contract, and as promised, the Arcanum of Occultism flooded his mind alongside some First Circle Spells. Naturally, Kilian had very little interest in the First Circle Spells. The Arcanum of Occultism, however, was a wealth of information.

After all, although he'd learned many of the occult principles from the dark magi he brain-wiped, they remained incomplete.

"I just gave you access to our true channel and created an account for you. We will use it to contact you. The coin hides a single-use invisibility charm, use it to leave the academy unnoticed.

In the meantime, feel free to browse the sub-channels and learn all you can. After your initiation, your performance will decide what kind of artifact and grimoire we will grant you.

Oh and, welcome in advance to the Dark Eden Society." The member's lips curved into a fiendish grin, and he vanished from the screen. Logging out, Kilian put the mirror back in the watch and heaved a long sigh.

"To think that I'd end up joining a satanic cult. We're only missing the ram skull. How low have I fallen..."

31