Chapter 4: Their First Quest!
90 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Huh?!” Centi and Gob exclaimed together. 

“Thank you! Thank you so much!” They kissed the ground beneath Joy’s feet, making her giggle at the sight. 

“Why did you say that Joy?” Centi asked, a free meal just escaped her. 

“Helping is good! I want more thanks!” She explained quite simply. 

  Centi only groaned in response. Gob didn’t want to return back to his village. Gob didn’t want to help his old village either. Seeing the same faces from before that watched him walk off into the woods alone. He didn’t know how he’d react seeing them again.  

  Centi didn’t want to go help some stupid goblins with their stupid problems. She’d rather do anything else but that. But here they were, following them back to their village to talk to their Chief. All because Joy wanted to help them. It looked like the little potion-maker wasn’t happy about this either. Maybe if they try together, they could change the Joy’s mind. 

“If I think about it as a trade then it doesn’t bother me as much. I get my tools, a few more ingredients for my tests, and a free feast.” Gob muttered as they made it inside the village. 

  All the goblins immediately started panicking once they saw Centi entering the fence. Gobi, Gobo, and Goba tried to calm them down by saying they were guests. It didn’t work and the goblin village’s strongest fighters came out. Centi couldn’t help but grin at the sight of everyone running away in fear. 

“What a nice welcome.” Gob remarked sarcastically. 

“It really was. It isn’t often that I’m feared in such a way.” Centi felt pleased by the reactions of the lesser monsters. 

“What kind of game are they playing?” Joy asked interested. 

  The three goblins talked with the defenders and soon they were on their way to the Chief. Joy happily took in the sights of the goblin village as it was nothing she’s ever seen before. The goblin village was a simple place. Spiked wooden fences surrounded the outer edges of the village while crude little houses made of wood were placed inside. Sometimes she escaped the sights of Centi and Gob, letting herself in the homes for a closer look. 

  Surprisingly, the goblins didn’t mind Joy’s trespassing habit and just laughed it off as they returned her to the group. This happened so many times that Centi was forced to place Joy on her back as they moved to the Chief. Gob helped her by watching Joy closely so that she didn’t somehow still run off on her own. In the end, they turned into a sort of spectacle within the village. 

“Hey isn’t that Gob?” 

“He’s still alive?” 

“I’m surprised that someone that useless is still breathing.” 

“The Dark Goddess must have been watching over him...” 

“To think he would find himself on the same side as a fearsome monster like that...” 

“Do you think if I was exiled, I could get that lucky?”  

“That little pink monster looks pretty tasty...” 

“Like a little meat egg right?” 

“If I saw one of those outside the village, I would definitely have to take a bite.” 

  Eventually, Joy and friends met with the goblin chief. Centi couldn’t fit inside his home even if she curled herself up so, he was forced to greet them outside. Centi was impressed by the red-skinned little goblin. He was definitely no slouch. Centi herself would have trouble trying to eat this one. He’s a goblin that has went through evolution at least once or twice. She guessed that was why he was the only goblin to look at her with something besides fear in his eyes. 

“Chief! We believe that these three can help us with our problem! We promised that if they helped us, we would reward them for their troubles!” Gobi informed. 

  An interesting gaze appeared in the Chief’s eyes but Centi couldn’t tell what it was.  

“And what did you promise as their rewards? You must know that times are getting hard on the village, correct?”  

“I’m only here for my stuff and some additional resources.” Gob responded coldly, he glared at the one who approved of his exile. 

  The Chief was the only one who could approve of an exile of a goblin within the village. Anyone could suggest an exile and no matter how many people who support the exile, the final decision rests in the hands of the Chief. The entire village could want a goblin exiled but it didn’t matter unless the Chief agreed to it. 

“I’m here for the promised feast and I wouldn’t mind some resources either.” A playful glint appeared in her eyes as she stared at the goblins watching them, sending them running away in fright. 

“Helping is good! I want thanks! Many thanks!” Joy expressed her inner desires as well before hearing another voice in her head. 

Request plenty of bones for me.’ The friend in Joy’s bones asked. 

“Oh! Friend wants bones too!” She quickly added. 

‘Bones?’ Centi and Gob thought in confusion. 

“Bones?” The chief questioned the infant monster. 

“Yes, bones!” She repeated confidently. 

“May I ask why?” The Chief was curious why such a small monster needed bones. It wasn’t as if he couldn’t get bones, if anything that was the easiest reward he could give. He was just curious. 

Don’t answer him.’ Joy’s friend told her. 

“Friend said he didn’t want to tell you.” Joy answered. 

“And who is this friend exactly?” The Chief asked. 

“How about you get to telling us about this problem of yours first before you start asking us anything.” Gob interrupted, their eyes met and Gob felt an indescribable feeling rise in his chest. 

  The Chief wasn’t the Chief for no reason... His strength was the greatest in the village. He could kill him before he even knew what happened to him. But Gob wasn’t too scared. With Centi next to him, he felt confident enough to take on the Chief with her help. The kid’s weird bone magic could help out too. It definitely helped him out when he was creating potions. 

“You’ve changed Gob...” The Chief murmured. 

“What would you even know about me in the first place?” Gob spitefully remarked. 

  The Chief let out a sigh. 

“You might be right... But that isn’t what we need to discuss, is it?” 

“Hurry up and tell us your problem.” Gob said. 

“To the north of our village, there is a beast residing inside a cave where we mine for tools and building material. If you can get rid of that beast, we will reward you with the items you requested.” 

“And why can’t you take care of this beast yourselves?” Gob asked. 

“I can’t afford to lose any more talented goblins nor leave the village unprotected.” Gob scoffed at his words. 

‘Oh, so now you can’t afford losing anymore goblins. What a piece of crap...’ Gob thought. 

“How strong is this beast?” Centi wondered. 

“I am unable to answer that. I only know that my miners stood no chance against it and it is considerably large.” He answered. 

Centi stared at him with an unamused look in her eyes. He was definitely using them for his own gain at no risk to himself. 

“We accept! We go now!” Joy patted the Centi’s hard carapace. 

  The three exited the village as the goblins inside started to prepare their rewards. Joy hopped off the back of Centi and walked on her own. She was happy riding Centi but liked walking alongside her and Gob more. It was also easier for her to go and investigate new things that she saw from down here. Much to the annoyance of Centi, and concern of Gob. 


The start of Joy and friends first quest! I wonder what will await them inside the cave!

Comment/Review on the story readers and give me ideas on possible fantasy/monster things you want to see! No guarantees that I will add what you want. But it helps to have ideas out there. Please point out any mistakes you notice or anything you're not clear about. I'll try to answer them and fix them to the best of my abilities. This is going to be my first non-human protagonist story. I've done a bit of research but not as much as i feel comfortable with so please feel free give me any criticism or feedback about these characters.

5