The Nostalgic Soda
72 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A place where I can be. The places where we will be. Nothing was there to be. It was something, simply be. I'd try to run, I'd try to catch my breath. For something, that will never be. In any case, the nostrils of my head weren't going to be. It was something, simply never be. I was being honest here. No matter what entails, I don't have any prerogative to stuff a silver spoon on your mouth.

It was the mouth that wouldn't be full. No matter how many spoonfuls you fed me, it'd never be sated. The raging river in the Mars and the bed of roses—it would be for the best, to shine on the New Canaan. The Millenium of the East, the far side of the scape. In the seas of space, I'd try to conquer the stars so I could stay by your side. Never will our stars let go, our hands entwined. With interlocking of our arms, can we be there to say goodbye?

In my deepest mind and the deepest recesses of thought, I'll try to understand the depths of my heart. It was something I yearned to delve, deeper and deeper, as much as I ever wished for. Nothing was as complacent as me. In terms of bridging the purgatory between the Moon and Stars. I was there and I was never there. I was here; I wasn't present; It wasn't me.

Luckily, all this journey was all for naught. I was cast away by the bartender. He said I wasn't buying any drinks and just occupy the furthest stool. He also said, my presence out there was making the mood sour.

It all made sense. Why do you want to go to a bar and not drink? Truthfully, I have enough cash to even buy the entire bar, but that place belongs to its customers. If no one comes to visit, it wouldn't be a bar. It wouldn't be any different than a graveyard. And even graveyards would have visitors from time to time.

I wasn't kidding in the slightest that I have no idea. In this bar. I just didn't feel like drinking.

"Do you have money?" the bartender harrumphed.

From that point on, I never visited this bar.

Instead of asking me what's wrong, he put his mind into his pockets far too much.

That kind of person will never give his customers any warmth.

Maybe it's due to the particular atmosphere, I don't feel like drinking.

That's when I encountered a bar as I was passing by. Glasses of the Gods—such an arrogant sounding name for a backwater bar.

The moment I came in, solemn atmospheres assailed me. Unlike the other bars, the patrons were drinking in peace. With the occasional clinking of glass and the shaking of liquor.

I felt the warm gaze of a young man in a bartender outfit.

"May I help you?"

His voice warm and dignified. Most of my reservations seeped away from a simple courtesy.

"It's nothing."

I sat on the same place; the furthest stool.

There were lots of exquisite drinks I couldn't really make heads or tails of.

The young man's hand movement as he stirred, mixed the drinks and shook it—felt like I watched a magic performance.

I was so mesmerized, I didn't even notice, the same glass just appeared in front of me.

With a gentle tap on the lacquered bar counter, it's resonance roused me from depths of stupor.

"It's on the house." the bartender gave a warm smile; his rows of clear white teeth and tender voice made me feel a bit awkward.

No matter how I look of it, this wasn't any different from regular iced water.

...although I saw traces of foam covering the glass. It made a specific pattern that's so dreamlike, coupled with the crystalline texture of the glass—it's a magnificent work of art.

It was too precious to drink right away.

Coughing few times and trying my best to not maintain eye contact, my hoarse voice reverberated through my wrinkled throat...

"W...what drink is it?"

"A non-alcoholic soda spring water with ice. Stirred with the technique I honed for years, please enjoy."

"...ah."

To tell you the truth, I had no idea about what kinds of drinks and recipes out there.

I wasn't sure about the reason I found myself drifting from bar to bar, not wasting a single cent at all.

The next moment, I found myself all battered and exhausted on my condo's entrance.

Yet, as I saw and scrutinized the drink, gazing at my old and withered reflection in the glass...

I finally remembered.

The freshness, energizing feel of a plain soda.

Back during my youth—on my workplace, there's always a few packs of plain soda inside the fridge.

Thinking about it, the soda I taste at present, were miles ahead of the soda in my past.

Yet, I don't know, how this bartender could evoke the same nostalgic feeling.

I remembered my old boss.

The old man scolded me a damn lot, yet he cared for me so much. Even more so than my parents.

After working for ten years, I started my own company.

Now, I was able to hand it over to my eldest son—I had nothing to do.

The moment I handed over the company, I went to rent a place of my own—to finally go on a journey and find myself again.

It pains me so much, how I absorbed myself with work after my wife died--I wasn't able to contact my old boss at all.

...when I was able to, he already passed away at ninety.

The taste of nostalgia spreading down my throat, seeping through my inner organs.

I didn't even notice I end up burping loudly.

The rush of foolishness from my youth.

The carefree days when I could afford to be reckless and hard-boiled.

It all just came back.

"Ah..."

The moment I scanned my surroundings, the bartender and the other patrons smiled and ushered me to enjoy my time.

Before long, I finally downed the entire drink

It was the best drink I've ever had in a long time. All these unsettling feeling of thirst was no longer.

Due to my incessant thirst, I once thought in fear, I might have diabetes especially due to my old age—fortunately, it's debunked.

The bartender went on his way serving the others as I was in a trance. \

The drink was so good, it's like I was back in my youth.

I waited before he was finally free and asked him a question...

"But why? How could you know I wanted that peculiar drink? I...never said anything..."

"Not surprising, Maestro-sama is a prodigy. If he's a bartender, everyone else could only be a barten. He just has a mysterious way of knowing so. It's part of his charm"

"I once wandered over many bars like you, until I took a Bartender (drink mix) to my throat,"

With several words of commendation and praises, it affirmed me that this bartender is the real champ.

It's like I was roped here through a stroke of luck.

I finally found my oasis in life.

Now I have an idea on how to spend the rest of my life.

Whenever I am feeling lost, or when I just felt like it—I found myself coming to this bar.

...and I was satisfied because he was there.

The Maestro that served drinks worthy of the gods'.

I hope I can continue getting his drinks until my time finally comes.

...and the day passed by peacefully.

I don't know what the future holds, but I'm happy with my life.

...and I'm happy with my drinks.

It's a parody chapter of Bartender. There's the anime and manga of it. So far I watched few episodes and stalled watching it until now, maybe I'll pick it up again later.

I can say I enjoy the cozy feeling of the show,. but I don't particularly like some episodes that force the drama too much. maybe it's just a filler--who knows. since it's an episodic format, maybe i could just skip the episodes I didn't like.

As for the nonsense in the first few paragraphs, it all started from a random writing thing I did. Somehow it turned out to a parody. Well, goes to show that the process of writing can be pretty bizarre. I do like how it built up the atmosphere of the overall story, so I kept it there regardless.

0