Chapter 24
82 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yalia 

 

Arriving in Kallamachu was a little like going to a city in Eurastia, if the city had been slowly declining for 50 years. Kallamachu had not been founded by Lamia but actually by people from Genoa, one of the larger countries on Eurastia several centuries earlier which gaethe city a very Eurastian feel to it. The settlers had apparently attempted to found a settlement on the Northern shores of the island but found the locals far too numerous and hostile to outsiders.  

 

Not giving up the settlers travelled to the south side of the island and found a long strip of land that was separated from the deep jungle by the Veil of the Gods. The few Lamia tribes that had lived on the southern tip of the island were either wiped out or assimilated into the settlers population. For centuries the city enjoyed easy access to many different markets and trade routes in this area, including the enigmatic mer-peoples and before long exports of the local goods back to the continent of Eurastia drove the cities expansion and turned it into an independent regional power. 

 

As time went on the Lamia of the Northern coast slowly created more cities on their side of the island, then opened ports and docks of their own which directly competed with Kallamachu. Unable to compete with the more conveniently placed cities, trade routes shifted. Lacking the land, forests and resources the northern cities had access to, Kallamachu could not produce as many goods for export either. So Kallamachu had been faced with a slow decline over the last 50 years, it was evident even from the deck of the Kalaraya. 

 

As the ship slipped into its berth beside several fishing ships half her size I checked my new pack once again. I had managed to fit everything almost I had into one larger pack I had purchased, but I kept a few smaller things in a satchel bag on my shoulder. The only problem was that I had limited room for food or other supplies so I would either need to abandon some things or find guides to help carry food up the mountain. 

 

“Once again we say goodbye Miss Jones.” Captain Noreko said. 

 

“And once again I have to thank you Captain. Without you I don’t know what I would have done.” 

 

“Something tells me that you wouldn’t have let that stand in your way Miss Jones. I have one more package that arrived for you.” At this Captain Noreko handed me a small package bound in paper. 

 

Opening it I found that it was the leather jacket and gloves that I had ordered. “Thank you Captain, I assumed that this hadn’t been delivered in time.” Putting it on I was now wearing a pair khaki colored pants and shirt along with the brown leather jacket I thought that I looked quite good saying as much the Captain agreed.  

 

“Wearing a shawl to cover my ears wouldn’t really work with this outfit but maybe I can find a hat in the port.” 

 

“Hold on for one second Miss Jones, I think I have something.” The Captain hurried below deck and returned a few moments later carrying a brown wide brimmed, high crowned, brown hat. “I haven’t worn this hat in years Miss Jones, it was always a little tight on me. Give it a try.” 

 

Trying it on I was surprised to find that it fit almost perfectly. The hat hid my ears and the high crown allowed them to sit up without being crushed, the band was snug around my head without being tight. “Thank you Captain it’s a perfect fit.” 

 

“You are welcome of course. I am sorry to say that as we have our cargo already my ship and I must be leaving already." 

 

“I understand Captain, you’ve already been too kind to me, and I assure you I will be fine.” 

 

After saying my goodbyes to the crew I was off. True to his word the Captain unmoored and sailed away as soon as I was off the ship and so I found myself alone in an unfamiliar port. With a determined step I set out into the city to find a guide. With something of a time limit I walked the streets looking for anyone who might know of a guide. A tavern owner was usually one of the best sources of information in a city to newcomers and while that was my initial plan I kept my eyes open for anyone else who might be able to help me. 

 

Walking through a market I tried to get a feel for the city. Despite its slightly run-down buildings and dirty streets the market was busy. In contrast to the more northern cities at least half of the people of this city were not Lamia. There were a good number of Cat-Kin, Dog-Kin and I even saw members of the Mer-Peoples there. Now there was a species that looked strange. 

 

They stood on two legs with two arms as most peoples did but they had slightly webbed fingers and toes. Their noses were nonexistent and on the back of their head they actually had a small fin that trailed behind them with two other fins hanging down on either side of their heads a little like hair. Even their skin looked to be somewhat slimy and wet. I actually new several scholars who thought the      Mer-People were attractive but I really couldn’t see the appeal. Even if their body shape fell largely into the same general shape of most peoples with hips and slight chests. 

 

Walking past the Mer-Kin and her fish stall I saw something that caught my eye. 

 

A stall owned by an elderly female Leporidae selling rare plants and other potion ingredients, her tall ears drooping down slightly with age. 

 

Recognizing several of her wares as being rare plants from the deep jungle I stopped and got a better look. 

 

“Good morning Miss, how are you today?” 

 

“I am well. Are these Moon Berries? I’ve never seen them this fresh before.” 

 

Indeed they are miss. You won’t find a better ingredient for a health potion anywhere in the islands.” 

 

“Is this from over the veil? I’ve never heard of a Moon Berry Tree outside of the deep jungle.” 

 

“Bush miss, Moon Berries grow on bushes, and yes. I have a supplier who gets them for me.” She said her nose twitching. 

 

Not many people would be willing to give up their supplier to someone they didn’t know so I knew I needed to be careful in how I phrased this. “I’m looking to mount an expedition over the Veil who are your suppliers?” My father had always done the sweet talking. 

 

“I’m sorry miss, trade secret. I couldn’t give that up if my life depended on it. If you have a special order however I would be able to take that for you.” 

 

“I’m not looking to place an order, just run an expedition over the mountain. I would be happy to pay you a finders fee for your help, and promise not to let anyone know who your suppliers are.” 

 

“I’m sorry miss but my suppliers keep me stocked with the best ingredients on this side of the island, it would be my livelihood to give them up.” 

 

“I see.” I said, and I really did, these ingredients were rare and very difficult to cultivate. If she told others who her suppliers were, it was possible they would just go straight to her suppliers to undercut her. Still, trying to keep a secret like that was a waste of time. 

 

Walking two doors down I spotted a Lamia herbalist whose wares were not nearly as nice as the Leporidaes.  “I’ll give you two silver if you tell me who supplies the Leporidae with her herbs from over the mountain.” 

 

The Lamia didn’t even hesitate before giving me the name of the two Bovidea brothers who apparently made regular expeditions over the mountain, even going so far as to telling me where they lived. Handing over the two silver I walked past the Leporidae store owner again trying not to smile at her. 

 

Walking through the streets I left the city center, past the cobblestone streets of the nicest district, then through the small wall that separated the old city from the newer city. While the old city had been made of stone, crumbling stone, but still stone. The new city was made from wood harvested from the surrounding forests, the wood wasn’t nearly as nice the newer age of the buildings gave the new city a more prosperous feel to it, even if the streets were no longer stone but instead dirt and mud. 

 

Following the directions I had been given I walked down the main thoroughfare begore turning right at a small fountain, walking down a small side street I quickly found myself at a small two-story building. It was nicely kept and clear that more than a little care had gone into the building recently. It had been painted in the last few years and a small but neat garden stood in front of the house. 

 

Walking up to the door I knocked three times loudly and heard a shuffling come from inside. Soon an older Bovidae answered the door. “Can I help you?” She said. 

 

Looking at her I took note of the fur lining her face, far more than what even most male cat-kin had, but what really drew the eyes were the horns on her forehead. I had known that both male or female Goat-Kin could have horns but it was not something I had ever seen before in Genoa. Female Bovidae in Genoa preferred to keep their horns cut short. Aside from that she had pretty features, although her slightly graying hair indicating her advancing years. 

 

“Hello my name is Yalia Jones, I’m looking for Charles and Cawthorn Felton, are they in?” 

 

“They are in the city making a delivery at the moment. Is there something that I could help you with?” 

 

“I’m an archeologist and I am mounting an expedition to the far side of the Veil of the Gods, I understand your sons collect herbs from the summit and I was hoping to hire them to escort me to the far side of the veil.” 

 

She looked at me for long enough that most people would probably feel uncomfortable. Fortunately I am not most people. Returning her gaze with my own I simply waited. After a few minutes she broke eye contact and said. “As I said they’re out at the moment but should be back soon. Would you like to come in for a cup of tea?” 

 

“Thank you that sounds nice.” 

 

“My name is Althea, please come in Yallia.” 

 

Walking into Althea’s home I looked at the clean entryway and surprisingly nice wooden furniture in the entryway. “You have a lovely home here.” 

 

“Thank you, this way please, I don’t get a lot of visitors from outside of the islands so it’s lovely to have you.” 

 

I really hated making conversation with people but my father had taught me at least enough to make small talk. “Have you lived in the islands long?” I asked. 

 

“For almost 25 years now. I moved here to meet my husband.” 

 

“You moved here to meet him? You didn’t know him before?” 

 

“No, we hadn’t met until just before we were to be married. He was the son of a business partner of my fathers. I take it you’re not having an arranged marriage then?” She said as she indicated a chair for me to sit it while she prepared our tea. 

 

“No, I’m from Genoa. Not a lot of arranged marriages there. I actually didn’t think arranged marriages were very common in most places now. Do many Bovidae have arranged marriages?” 

 

“Oh Genoa? Lovely city, I visited it once with my parents when I was younger.” She said before taking a breath and changing topics.  “Arranged marriages aren’t too common in most Bovidae families, at least not any more so than anyone else really. It really depends on where you’re living if you’re liable to need one or not. If you live in Genoa, Kralitz or any large city with enough of your own people there then arranged marriages aren’t really necessary, you can find your own spouse most of the time. But if you live in a place without any of your own people around, or if they are all your close relatives then it can sometimes be necessary to arrange something, at least if you want to be married.” 

 

“I see, I guess I never really thought about what you would do it you were the only of your species in an area. Was the arranged marriage something you wanted to do?” 

 

“Oh yes, absolutely. I had always wanted children when I was younger, and getting away from my father was a plus. He was a very controlling man who owned a small trading company. His business partner lived here and when his son came of age and started looking for a wife I was the logical choice. Of course if either of us had declined the match then it wouldn’t have happened. But I was young and I was looking forwards to getting out of my father’s house. I understand that many young men or women who are in arranged marriages feel similar. I was very fortunate though, my Grellis was a very kind man. We had many happy years together.” 

 

“Will your sons have arranged marriages as well?” 

 

At this she gave an un-lady like snort and said. “I’ve asked them before if they would like me to try and find someone for them, but for now at least neither of them is interested in settling down. My eldest Charles has been seeing a lovely Vulpine for almost a year now and Cawthorn my youngest doesn’t seem to have much interest in woman at all. So long as they’re happy then I am happy as well.” 

 

“I’m a little surprised, I know back that back in Genoa many people still don’t accept people dating outside of their people. It’s not uncommon for people to be disowned over it depending on the family.” 

 

“I used to feel the same myself. No chance at grandchildren if your children are with a completely different species than your own. But after my husband passed away I had a relationship with a Lamia who lost his wife. It didn’t last, but my children were always supportive. How could I be anything less? And if I ever decide to spend any time with babies my brothers and sisters have several back in Kralitz.” 

 

Nodding along I was about to ask a few more questions when the front door opened and two voices called out in greeting. 

 

Standing up from the table I looked at the two young men enter the kitchen. They were both fairly tall with broad shoulders and muscular frames. Their horns were longer than their mothers but I was a little surprised to see that the Cawthorn’s horns were larger than his older brothers. Both of their bodies were fairly hairy something that was common with goat-kin. They were both handsome and looked to be confident. Although only the elder brother Charles was sporting a smile while Cawthorn was wearing a neutral expression. 

 

“Good afternoon gentleman. My name is Yallia Jones and I have a business proposition for you.” 

3