Vol 3 Chapter 8: Adventurers and Heroes
2.4k 83 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hugo

“Lord Pendleton, I’ve finished my preparations. We’re now ready to depart.”

Hearing those words, I immediately roused up from my sleep.

Thinking about it, I didn’t get that much of a shut-eye last night. A couple of times I was woken up by Leila’s pained scream. I rushed into her room, only to find that Flameu was already there, giving another dose of her painkilling drug while comforting her. And that’s while her cauldron was still boiling. I guess she wisely knew her knight would only scare her if she sent him to do the job, and she was good enough to know when she could leave her concoction cooking on it's own safely.

Heh, I guess there's no need for my fairy in the slightest.

Still, it reminded me all those years ago, when Erika was still a baby. She would often wake up in the middle of the night, crying so loud that I woke up as well. Renee would have to calm her down. And she never uttered a single complaint. She was the paragon of motherhood through and through.

...Yeah, yeah, I know it's weird and creepy to compare a woman you just met to your mother. But I just can't help it. I feel she can make an excellent mother in the future… if she isn't secretly a mad alchemist, that is.

After letting out a good yawn, I left the bed and changed back to the clothes Fiora gave me (after Flameu left, of course). I then left the room. To my surprise, the look of the place had completely changed. Gone were the beakers, centrifuges, and cauldron. The long table was now used as a dining table, as Flameu and Berault were having their breakfast there.

"Please, Lord Pendleton. Join us." The alchemist spoke. "There isn't much, but I assure you, my sandwiches are perfectly delicious." She added with a smile.

She pulled a chair for me, and I sat down on it. I then took one of the sandwiches placed on the plate on the table and took a bite of it. Since they're eating it, it should be fine, right? No poison or anything. And I got my great fairy. She can heal poison with her water.

Afterwards however, I was grateful for my decision to partake in her offer, as true to her word, it was indeed delicious. And for me, who hadn’t had dinner yesterday, it was a godsend. I ended up eating most of it, to the amusement of the alchemist.

Oh, by the way, thanks to that as well, I got to see the knight’s mouth. And from my examination, he seems to be a human under all that armor—light skinned with no facial hair to speak of. He only lowers the bottom part of his helmet, just enough so he can eat Flameu’s sandwiches.

Afterwards, we each readied for our departure. Berault brought a large backpack with him, while Flameu only brought her staff, though she also wore a featureless black cloak over her robe.

Right, Dimensional Storage.

“Lord Pendleton, may I ask you a favor?” Flameu spoke. “Would you be willing to be the one carrying Leila? As you can see, with my staff and his backpack, we don’t exactly have any free room to carry a child with us.”

I agreed. It wasn’t a big deal for me anyways. She was so light to the point that my arms didn't really tire carrying her around yesterday.

I went to her room and lifted her up. She was sleeping, and to my delight, her fever seemed to have gone down a bit. Still, I knew it didn't mean that she was recovering. It was most likely the effect of Flameu's drug, temporarily tempering her ailment.

We departed utilizing the pair of horses they rode the first time I saw them. Apparently, the black one was named Frem and the white one was named Mrey. And judging by how she smiled when she met them as she brushed their manes with her hand, and how they each licked her affectionately for it afterwards, the alchemist might just be the animal-loving type. Another aspect of her that's contradictory to that sinister grin and laugh.

Since I had no horses on my own, I had to ride with either of them. To my surprise, the alchemist suggested that I should ride with her.

Umm, you know this means your boobs will be pressing into my back, right?

Judging by her mischievous smirk though, I think she perfectly knew what she was doing.

Of course, I took the offer up. I would be an idiot not to.

Marina once said that I should be wary of older women going after me. I guess she is one of them. Heh, that's one perk of being a good-looking young man.

With a small grin, I climbed up the horse, taking the hand she offered. Lucky!

"Oh, one more thing." She suddenly spoke. "If you would, please refrain from using my real name in public. We certainly don't need the attention right now."

Ah, that's right. She's quite the celebrity around here. Makes sense. That's also why she's wearing that dark cloak with the hood on.

"Call me Rowan, if you would. As for Lord Berault, Ber would suffice."

-------

We headed to the town’s eastern gate. To my surprise, we left not in the early mornings, but well around 8 to 9 o'clock, judging by where the sun was. I wasn't sure if this world had invented pocket watches actually. Not that I would want to get one. I don't want a return to my old life where I was afraid of clocks at every single minute. Had to set up an alarm clock to wake up in the morning, had to set up reminders in my phone on my office tasks and the deadlines they had, etc. It was unpleasant. I would rather have an easy-going life like this where I was not continuously being haunted by them.

"Charles! Chaaarles!"

That voice… that's—

"Charles! You're going out too?"

Sure enough, my instinct was correct. It was the voice of Amelie, shouting from a distance. She ran towards me, breasts bouncing wildly in the process. You know, I wonder how in this world, big-chested women never seemed to be able to find bras that could hold their chests in place. Both Renee and Helen were like that as well—voluptuous to the point that even walking normally made their breasts jiggle a little.

Or maybe it's just my perverted eyes catching things that no other people would see.

Hold on, isn't she supposed to be mad at me?

Oh right, she's being her usual self. She'd get mad about one thing, and come the next morning, she had forgotten about it entirely.

"Wait, who is that? Why are you carrying a little girl with you? And who are these people? Your new party? And why are you riding with a woman like that?”

She didn’t hesitate in the slightest to bombard me with questions, as expected. And is it just me, or her tone sounds a little bit angry? Hmm, maybe she’s still mad about yesterday after all. That, or she’s jealous that I’m with another woman. Sorry, Amelie, your boobs are great and all, but I just don’t think you’re my type. Well, that, and Sherry.

I looked behind me, throwing a glance towards Flameu as I wanted her to be the one to explain it. I felt I was just going to fumble my words and make myself look even more suspicious if I tried doing it on my own.

“Is she perhaps your acquaintance, Milord?” the alchemist asked with a smirk.

Ah, I actually never told her about them, did I?

"Yes. We traveled together for a few months from down south," I answered. At this point, Anton and Anne had arrived on the scene as well.

"I see." Flameu turned to face the trio. "Then, please, allow me to introduce myself. I am Rowan, a humble alchemist. The girl over there is my patient. She has been struck with a mortal illness and the only way to cure it is by obtaining the heart of the dragon. And so, I’ve employed Charles and Ber here to procure it from the ice dragon living nearby.”

“A-a dragon?!” The mage took a few steps back, covering her mouth with her hand. “Y-you’re not serious, are you?”

“Oh, we are serious, 100%,” Flameu replied with a smirk. “You see, Charles here has promised that he’s strong enough to take on one. And so there is nothing to fear.”

“What?!” This time, it was Anne’s turn to explode. “You’ve got to be joking! Charles!” She threw a harsh glance at my direction. “You?! Taking on a dragon? Ha! Don’t make me laugh! You’re not some legendary warrior that can take on a dragon one to one! You’re just a C-rank whelp who happens to be skilled in magic! You have no chance whatsoever against an S-rank monster like that! And you, redhead!” Her glare now turned towards Flameu. “You’re not allowed to do this kind of thing, you know, bypassing Guild rules on giving out a quest to adventurers without their permission. And this is exactly why! You’re trying to rope a kid to do an S-rank job without caring that he’s not actually an S-rank! And even if he is, you still need dozens of S-rank adventurers to take on a dragon! What do you think a dragon is, huh? It’s one of the strongest monsters out there!”

Flameu continued to smirk, seemingly unfazed in the slightest by the girl’s arguments.

“Charles…” This time, it was Anton’s turn to speak. He wore a stern frown on his face—a rare look for him. It’s the look he would only use whenever he really feels the need to scold someone. Whenever he uses that look, not even Anne’s spicy tongue or Amelie’s brattiness can overcome his presence. “Listen to me. I know you’re strong. Stronger than any of us, perhaps. But you’re not at the level where you can fight against a dragon. And there’s no need to do so either. You’ve heard yesterday that the Emerald Exodus clan is going to have a subjugating campaign against it. Wait until they return and purchase the dragon heart you need from them.”

I shook my head. “It’s not an option, unfortunately. I don’t have the money. And neither do Ber or Rowan. We have to get it on our own.”

“It’s too late for you to go after the dragon now anyways. They departed yesterday morning. When you get there, they probably would have finished the creature anyways,” he argued back.

“Then I will take the heart from them,” I answered without flinching.

Anton’s frown deepened. “Are you suggesting that you would challenge them for it? Or steal it instead? If you do the latter, you will be kicked out from the guild for sure. And not only that, they might murder you from it. ‘Adventurers who try to steal the spoils from other adventurers are to be killed, for they are no different than common bandits.’ That is the law of adventurers that the Guild abides. And if you think you can do the former, think again. Even if they’re graceful enough to grant you a one-on-one fight with their leader, he’s an S-rank adventurer. His abilities are far beyond yours.”

“Oh, so that’s what you believe. Then let me say this. I am far stronger than you think I am. I am strong enough to win, even against an S-rank adventurer.”

I looked him in the eye as I said those words. I know that the only way to show that I wasn’t lying was to challenge him head on. I gave him a cold, confident stare—far different from the happy, smiling expression I usually wore around him.

He was the first to break eye contact.

“Then, I am disappointed in you, Charles.” Her eyes turned cold as well. “You let us fight against all those monsters that would have hurt us while you can easily take care of them. I thought we could trust you as a friend. I guess not.”

My heart skipped a beat. He got a point. Me hiding my true ability like that… it’s selfish of me, isn’t it?

“I have my reasons to hide it from you,” was my reply however. “And I am not obligated to protect you or Anne or Amelie. You are adventurers. You already know that it’s a dangerous and risky occupation. If any of you die, it won’t be my fault.”

I wasn’t sure why I said such harsh words. Perhaps because I remembered the other trio of adventurers that I failed to save, and the words of that man who told me that they fought bravely until the very end. Since then, I knew what it truly meant to be an adventurer.

You can’t save everyone. That was the valuable lesson Nicole taught me.

His answer?

“...Fine. Suit yourself.” He looked away, before turning back and sending a sharp glance towards Flameu. “I do hope you pay him well, alchemist.”

“Oh, but Charles here is noble enough to do it for free! In fact, he was the one who found my sick little sister on the road. And learning of her plight, he offered to help on his own! Isn’t he just great?”

Here, Flameu pressed herself into me as she rested her hands on my shoulder. At this point, I’m pretty sure she’s doing it intentionally, just so to piss them off even more.

Yep, it’s that mischievous side of her once again.

Anton returned his glare towards me. “And you take this quest for free. You might be strong but your mentality is still of a kid. We adventurers don’t take quests for free. Especially if it’s a quest of this caliber. By doing this, you’re no longer an adventurer. You’re now pretending to be a hero. Is that what you want, Charles?”

With a smirk, I replied, “Perhaps that’s what I want.”

With these past months I had spent with adventurers, not just with these three, but with others as well, before I met them, I realized something. A lot of them are indeed vagabonds and ruffians, not that much better than common bandits.I suddenly remembered how the old master of Sherry, that bitter old woman, displayed her distaste of adventurers. And I imagine a lot of the upper class shared the same sentiment. Back then, I thought she was just being a snob. But now, I could see her point, at least a little. She’s still wrong to think that all adventurers are bad though, especially to the point of badmouthing Alan and Renee.

So, perhaps that’s what I want. I want fame and glory. I can do that as a hero too, can’t I?

Well, I’m still nowhere near strong enough to be called one though.

Anton, clearly not satisfied with my answer, turned around and started to walk away. 

“Anne, Amelie, we’re leaving.”

The two, however, clearly weren't finished with me yet.

“You jerk!” Anne shouted. “Get off your high horse, you idiot noble! So you want to play hero? Is that why you’ve been looking down on us all this time? We’re just common adventurers to you, huh? We’re not blessed with whatever talent you have with magic, so you think we’re worthless? Is that it? We have treated you well these past two months, and this is how you treat us in return?”

I had no words to say to her in return. She was right. I probably had been looking down on them unconsciously, knowing just how much stronger I am compared to them. And I do want to play the hero. I’ve been doing so ever since I climbed up that mountain to save Marina, even though I was just a ten-year old kid. Father and Mother did as well. Any sensible people would know not to defy a mage of Vera’s caliber. They would instead obey her wishes. It’s not odd for girls to be married off to wealthier, more powerful families in this world. In fact, it would be an honor. Marina would be the wife of a future ruler of the Magocracy.

But no. It’s just in our blood, I suppose. We can’t just accept the world as it is. We have to defy common sense. And those are things only heroes do.

Amelie, on the other hand, didn’t say anything. She just stared at me like a hurt puppy would. And it immediately made me feel even guiltier.

“Well, if you guys are done, then please excuse us.” Flameu finally decided to interrupt. “Like you have kindly suggested, we don’t have much time. We must rush to the dragon at once, so my sister would get the cure she desperately needs.”

With those words said, she yanked the harness on Mrey. The horse neighed and started walking once more. Noticing its partner was moving, Frem followed.

I didn’t look back at the trio as I left. Instead, I stared to the distance. Heh, I’m pretty sure I’m having quite the melancholic expression right now.

It’s been fun, traveling with them. But this conversation we just had made me realize just how different our two worlds are. They’re not like Marina or Sherry or Fiora. If any real danger comes after me, they wouldn’t be able to fight it. They’re simply not strong enough. Thus, it would be better for them not to be involved with me any further.

I took a deep sigh. Guess two months were enough for me to feel this much attachment to them. 

But now, I had to put them aside. I was going to fight against a dragon after all.

And I think I already have a pretty good idea on how I’m going to do it.

I've been working on the next chapter for a while and I can't help but feel, I dunno, bored doing it. Lots of setup writing that I'm not excited to do. Starting to wonder if I'm losing my muse...

The problem is this. I want to write a more detailed scene but I'm too lazy to do so. And I also start to think whether I should even bother doing it. I don't know if you readers even care, or you just skim it. Hell, I skim often while reading webnovels.

Also, maybe Felicia

Spoiler

isn't that interesting of a character to be part of the harem. I dunno. I'm not even sure what kind of harem dynamics I want for the future. I just read an isekai with no harem, just a cute relationship with a knight lady. I'm starting to feel I want something like that to be in this novel. If it's going to happen, Felicia's gotta go. Because the plot's not going to work with a third wheel.

Well, if I change my mind, her fate will be different at the end of this arc. And the next arc, and the reunion with Sherry would be wholly different as well. Hugo won't have another breakdown, and said reunion would be far less dramatic. Oh, and maybe the harem would not even happen. The knight could like Hugo but knowing that Sherry is there, she will never make her move. Maybe I have to abandon the harem plotline altogether. So it would be more like Re:Zero or SAO, where there's the actual winning girl with the rest being "hanger-ons" to the MC.

Basically, there are two routes I could see the story go for Hugo. The drama route with Felicia or the normal adventurer route with the knight.

Honestly, I'm most interested in writing about Sherry right now, for some reason. Sherry and her travels with Myrilla, how they're treated for being demons in the Holy Continent, and how Myrilla teaches Sherry about the dangers of the Demon Continent. But we're not at a story checkpoint yet for an interlude.

[collapse]

And I just got a review that probably explains the (relatively) low ratings this novel has. Well, it can't be helped, I suppose, tragedy tag or not.

50