Chapter 10 – Zack – Iteration 144
18 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zack struggled as he was forced face-first into the tub of water. His hands were cuffed behind his back and rope bound and lifted his feet into the air. There was no way to prevent the inevitable, but Zack struggled with instinctive passion to avoid inhaling the water.

The woman named Erik pressed her knee onto his shoulder blades, forcing his nose beneath the water. With a herculean effort, Zack managed to arch his back and neck enough to pant through his nose. Then a playful tap to the back of his head made him suck down a shot of water.

Involuntarily, Zack's lungs spasmed in a cough. The cough was followed by a gasping breath of water. His body spasmed in a wild attempt to find air, accompanied by laughter from Erik. His exertions triggered the impulse to inhale and Zack obliged his reflexes despite the fact that he was submerged.

Inhalations become an autonomic function once a certain point is reached. Uncertain whether the trigger is determined by lack of oxygen in blood or carbon dioxide levels. Zack recorded everything as an Observer without intending to do anything of the sort. He didn't know if the impulse to observe was another autonomic function or if he was trying to escape the experience through depersonalization. If the purpose was escape, Zack didn't think it was very effective.

He gasped several breaths of liquid and relaxed into the cold water. Death slowly enfolded him, allowing the welcoming warmth of nothingness to engulf him. Zack let it take him away, wishing his death would last this time.

Zack woke wet and shivering on the bathroom floor.

“How did you like that one?”

He turned his head to look at Erik. She appeared pudgy and weak, but possessed a maniacal strength. “I prefer the chainsaw.”

Erik laughed and clapped her hands. “Me too! I think we really bonded over that one.” Her false cheer faded, leaving only the predatory aura behind. “Death doesn't bother you. I need to focus more on the torture.”

Zack shivered. So far, Erik had stabbed him to death, beaten him to death with a golf club, sliced him to death with a chainsaw, and crushed his skull with the blunt end of an axe. The dying really didn't bother him. Time and again, it was a welcome release from circumstances he would give anything to escape.

The other Observers had lectured him, each in turn, when he arrived. They didn't participate in any of the festivities. Erik had been disappointed by her colleagues' restraint, insulting their dedication to the Creator's work.

Erik dragged him from the cramped bathroom of the farmhouse using the rope binding his feet. They made it to the front porch before they encountered anyone. The man named Ingrid waited on the porch swing. “I think you're enjoying this too much, Erik.”

“Watch yourself, Ingrid, or I'll put you on the naughty list.”

“No you won't,” Ingrid said. He studied her over his steepled fingers. “You are loyal to the Creator in your own perverse way. Hunting, tormenting, and murdering people is work to you, no matter how much you enjoy it. Doing the same with an Observer is just playing and you know it.”

“Do you really want to risk being wrong?”

“I'm not wrong,” Ingrid said. “You despised the relationship between Hess and Elza. If you focus your particular fetish on other Observers, then you would be committing the same sin as them.”

“For what Hess did in the last Iteration, he deserves the worst I can do to him. Don't interfere with that, Ingrid. I will make you my enemy.”

“And deprive the Creator of another Observer?”

Erik pointed at Zack. “This and the other have been useless as Observers from the first. The Creator won't miss their input.”

“I think you're wrong, Erik. I've been man and woman, tall and short, dark and fair, thin and heavy, weak and strong. Every variation of human possible. We all have. Every Iteration sees us inserted into random identities. Except them. Hess always a man. Elza always a woman. The Creator must have a reason for that.”

“And I have the urge to torture this man for eternity. Maybe the Creator has a reason for making me like that.” Erik dragged Zack by the rope, sending him tumbling down the front steps. “Nice talk, Ingrid, but I got lots of torturing to do. We're going to play with electric next. Ciao.”

2