Chapter 42: An Avatar hears it straight from a Centauress mouth
2.7k 3 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"My Lord, I have a friend who is an Information Broker. She would be perfect to find out more about Lord Attomas." Veronica said. "She lives in the Red light district.

Jack nodded and said "Okay. If you think she would be a good source, let's go."

Stepping out of the tavern, they began to walk down to the red light district. While they were walking, Jack asked "So how long have you known this Broker?"

"About three years My Lord. She was one of the first people I met in this city, and took me under her hoof." Veronica said.

Jack asked, "Hoof?"

"Yes, My Lord, she is a centauress. She is the head of the only monsterkin brothel in the city." Veronica said.

"Okay. So how did the two of you meet?

Smiling Veronica led him down a street in the red light district. "We met when I was following one of my exes. We hit it off and have been close ever since." Veronica said.

As they walked, Jack could see women and men standing outside of their clubs calling patrons to come in and enjoy themselves. They were barely wearing anything, several made advances towards Jack, only to be put off when Veronica glared at them with hostility.

"You have to be careful My Lord. Some of these brothels are a rip off. Some are dangerous, though you should be safe My Lord. Do you see the ones with a black mark above them?" Veronica said.

"Yes, what does that mean?" Jack asked.

"They have almost all slaves for prostitutes. Since you despise slavery My Lord, I recommend you avoid these places." Veronica said. 

Feeling a little sick, Jack only saw a few of the brothels had black marks. "Why do they have a black mark them if slavery is legal?" Jack asked.

"It's just one of the marks they useit's a way to let the customer know what to expect inside. Also, slaves make shit prostitutes, so most brothels will not use them if they can get around it." Veronica said"While slaves will follow orders, that doesn't make them good at it."

They soon came up to a brothel which had a green mark on the door. The brothel was named Play in the Hay. Veronica said "The Green mark indicates monsterkin. A few other brothels have a few monsterkin here and there, but this is the only Brothel that only hires monsterkin."

Stepping inside, Jack discovered a young woman standing behind the counter. Her face was cute, but what caught his eye was her hair, which was comprised of several hissing green snakes. The medusa looked at them and said "Hello, and welcome to Play in the Hay, the only monsterkin brothel in Taras. Would you like to take a look at the selection we have today?"

Veronica stepped up to the counter and said "Oh your a new girl. Nice to meet you, I'm Veronica. A friend of Kylie, is she in?"

The Medusa said "Greeting's Veronica, I'm Desere. Kylie is inis this visit a personal or professional?"

"Professional this time." Veronica said.

"Okay, that will be two small gold coins. Any services you need from Kylie will be negotiated with her." Desere said. 

Jack pulled out a few coins and gave them to Desere. "Thank you for your patronage. Do you need me to guide you to her room?

Vernoica shook her head. "I've got it from here." Veronica guided Jack up the stairs. As they went down the hallway, he caught some monstergirls relaxing, and a few monstermen as well. "They don't get busy till the night. Most of the population needs a few drinks in them to work up the courage to screw a monsterkin." Veronica said.

Reaching the end of the Hall, Veronica opened the door for Jack. Entering he found himself in a deep purple room, with soft light filtered through some lamps. There was a bed in the back with purple satin sheets on it, and lying ontop was a black haired centauress. She was lying relaxed on the bed smoking from a long pipe.

As Jack got closer, he smelled a strange herbal smell coming from the smoke she was breathing out. Looking at them, Kylie grinned and said "Hello Veronica; it's been a few months since I've seen you last. Where have you been girl? and who is this handsome man?"

"It's good to see you again KylieMy Lord this is Kyliemistress of informationKylie this is My Lord Jack, the one I have sworn to serve, the one who grants me eternal bliss, the one who..." 

Jack interrupted Veronica feeling she would take forever "It's a pleasure to meet a good friend of my servant Veronica."

"The pleasure is all mine" Kylie said looking Jack up and down. "I'm glad Veronica was able to find a suitable master. She has been a handful for as long as I have known her, so make sure you don't spare the rod when it's needed." Kylie winked at Jack.

"I will keep your advice in mind. Today I have come for your brokering services to find out some information." Jack said.

Kylie nodded and said "Is this about the expedition you are going to be joining?

"So you already have heard about the offer Lord Attomas gave me?" Jack asked.

Taking a puff on her pipe, Kylie nodded and said "When a suspected noble of the Empire enters the city and joins an expedition with one of the most important nobles in the city. It's very notable, in fact you've sent all the brokers in overdrive in the city."

"Why is that? I've hardly done anything to warrant it." Jack said simply.

Kylie looked at Jack and said "War. None of the nobles want to lose power when the Empire takes over the kingdom. Thus getting on the good side of the Empire early, is an advantage. Of course that is if you are really a noble of the empire."

"You don't think I'm a noble of the Empire?" Jack asked.

Shaking her head and blowing out some smoke. "Nope. Cause you came here, and Veronica brought you here. The Empire despise's monsterkin. They've almost wiped all free monsterkin from their lands. Any Empire noble would rather die then come into this brothel."

"Even if they could gain important information from you?" Jack asked.

Laughing Kylie said "They believe themselves to be smarter then us, so what could a dumb beast offer them?

Frowning Jack said "The more I hear about this Empire, the less I like them. YesI came to find more about Lord Attomas, and his family so I don't walk into a surprise."

"I can tell you about them, in fact I can tell you some more things you might be interested in. Since you are close with Veronica, I will only charge you eight large gold coins for the Information. Also I'll keep any information I learn from you in secret for her sake." Kylie said.

Pulling the coins out, he placed them in the cup Kylie indicated. "I want to know more about Lord Attomas and his familyI also wish to know Duke Adam Evercral's location. I also wish to know what people are looking to find out about me."

"Not only handsome I see, your also rich. Quite a catch Veronica." Kylie said glancing at Veronica. 

Veronica giggled and said "In more ways then you know.

"Let's start with the Hawke family. Right now the siblings are in a middle of a series of missions given by the parents to determine who will be the next leader of the family." Kylie said.

Confused Jack asked "Isn't that normally decided by birth order, or a will?"

"Usually. However, the Hawke family has always's had strange traditions. Each generation undertakes a wide variety of missions to see who the true leader will be. These missions are incredibly varied, and sometimes completely secret. Right now the other brokers believe that Lord Attomas is in the lead for the head, with Lady Niadas trailing closely behind." Kylie said.

Scratching his chin in thought Jack asked "What about Jadai?"

"Lord Jadai is believed to be last. Of course this is just speculation on part of the other brokers." Kylie said taking another puff.

Catching the hidden meaning in her words Jack asked "So that's what they believewhat do you believe?"

"Lord Jadai is clearly in the lead by miles. Which must be frustrating to his brother, as Lord Jadai has no interest in being the head." Kylie said.

"Why do you think that Lord Jadai is in the lead? What about his sisterdoes this not bother her?"  Jack asked.

"Lady Niadas only cares about the business. As long as she retains the control, she has, she doesn't care what happens. Since Lord Jadai has no interest in running the businesses, and Lord Attomas is more of an Idea person, her role is not threatened. As for why I think Lord Jadai is in the lead..." Kylie blew out some smoke.

Kylie looked at Jack and said "I've gotten inside information on the types of missions the previous generations have gotten, and the missions the current ones have gotten. On the surface they appear to be similar missions for all three. The trick is how they complete the missions. Lord Jadai has taken the least amount of missions, but the themes of how he solves the missionsresemble past winners of the head."

"What if the Head dies before the winner is decided?" Jack said.  

Lying back, Kylie said "The Head has written down all the missions they are meant to do. The Family council will review the missions according to the guidelines and decide who is the head, in case the head dies. However, I do suspect several attempts at Lord Jadai's life may come his way, for those who would rather see Lord Attomas as the head."

"Surely this information must be known to Lord Attomas, how is he behind Jadai, when Jadai has been making no effort?" Jack asked.

Kylie laughed and said "Because Lord Attomas hates people. He may appear kind in public, but he despises dealing with people, and cares only for machines. The closest he comes in contact with others, is when he fucks monsterkin. The mission's Jadai are also the most important."

"How do you know this isn't an act by Jadai to throw off the others?" Jack asked.

"Simple, Jadai is too forward with what he wants and doesn't want. Could it all be an act? Maybe, but if it is one, it is one he has been doing since he was a kid. Unlike Lord AttomasLord Jadai is truly kind to othershe may be bit rough, but he has always gone out of his way to help others. The missions he has picked are the ones meant to help others." Kylie said.

Jack asked "So the head of the Hawke family wants someone who is kind to others?" 

"Nope. That is just the appearance. What they want is someone who is ruthless to his enemies and fiercely protective of those under them. To be the True Hawk." Kylie said.

Nodding in understanding Jack asked "So what can you tell me about Lord Attomas? You said he disliked people?"

"In public he has a favorable opinion from commoners. He doesn't do the terrible things associated with other nobles and has donated substantial sums to charities. In private he dislikes being around others. The only presence he tolerates is those of his monsterkin servants. Several of which he has knocked up." Kylie said.

Jack said "Where does he get so many monsterkin servants?"

"From the slave markets. He is able to buy them and set them free. Though I don't believe this is from the kindness of his heart. He only buy's the female monsterkin." Kylie said obviously annoyed at Lord Attomas.

Jack said "You don't Like him?"

"No, I don't. He's come around several times to 'acquire' some of my girls." Kylie said"Do you know what he has offered me to buy the contracts of some of my girls? Fucking pig." Kylie took a deep drag of the pipe and and let out a big cloud of smoke.

"His interest in monsterkin seems more perverse then that, though." Kylie continued. "I told you he had knocked up his servant's before. He doesn't treat the kids from them as his children, though."

Feeling he was about to hear something he didn't like Jack asked "What do you mean?"

"I don't know what he does with the male children, the female children are raised at a separate estate. Most monsterkin develop faster then other beings, when they reach a certain age, Lord Attomas takes them as lovers." Kylie said disgusted.

Jack felt grossed at this revelation. "How foul this man is to prey upon his own daughters. Now I doubly regret signing that damn contract with Lady Niadas. Perhaps I can reason with her to get out of it."

"That is unlikely Jack, for if you have signed with her, she will hold you to the contract." Kylie said.

55