Chapter 50: A System gets therapy, A Ranger has a talk with his Stepfather.
2.3k 1 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lying back Jack stared up into the black void. "Since it's the most recent, I would like to speak to you about the dream I just had. It actually felt like more of a memory, then a dream. Which confuses me, because I saw a woman in it, that exists on the world below as one of my Users."

He heard Kelsey write something down, and he glanced over at her, and she was now holding a writing pad. "The dreamscape is confusing, large, and not even I have explored everywhere. I only found you, when Everlai popped up sending shockwaves in here."

"What are you getting at?"

"You say these are memories, if they are, then there is a time before you awoke as a system. I've had to stop you twice from affecting the world. If you did sleep before waking up, it is entirely possible that you made changes to the world according to the world."

"Your saying I created her? I don't think I have that power."

"Not directly. Dreams can be powerful things, the World can respond and create things from them. However, it would not be the same women from your dreams. Without the womans soul, your User just looks like the woman. Not even the Gods can create a soul."

"That seems possible given the information I received today. Apparently some group claimed they could see the dreams of a lost god. On one of the drawings they did, it looked like me apparently. Perhaps they were seeing my dreams?"

"Perhaps. I will have to take a look over the world, to see if I can spot any remnant of your dream energy on it. What else did you wish to speak about?"

"Well I signed a contract with a mortal. I then found out things I dislike and wished to get out of the contract. However, I failed to do so. Is there no way for me to get out of it?"

Kelsey wrote some more things down and sighed "No. If you signed a contract that is backed by the God of Contracts, then you must abide by the contract or you will suffer the consequences."

"Why do the gods even care?"

"You may not be aware, but the current oldest gods are only seven hundred years old. All the older gods are either lost, dead, or hidden away. Just like how the world descended into darkness and warfare a thousand years ago, the gods entered a great war."

"Who were they fighting against?"

"Not sure, there was definitely corrupted gods fighting. Eramis might know a bit more, but she was only a kid when her parents died in the last battle. The last battle saw the end of the last age of gods. When a new court of gods was established, several rules were established in the hopes of never having such a war again."

"I would have thought the world would be damaged if the gods fought."

"They battled in the gods region. Most of which has now become inhospitable to us due to the battle. Anyway, one of the rules they took was the Ironclad rule that we must abide by every contract we sign no matter who we sign it with. If you try to break it, the entire court will come for you."

"I see. Even if a god is tricked into signing one?"

"Even then. If you get tricked, it's your own fault. Which is why very few gods will ever sign a contract, the only ones typically desperate enough to do so are the very weak ones."

Jack flinched at that and said "Alright, I understand. I also want to speak about the thing that upset me most today. I felt a strange compulsion to do something I had no desire to do. I've been looking back over my actions and frankly I've found some bizarre things i've been doing."

Kelsey was silent for a minute looking at Jack before saying "Jack are you aware of what your soul looks like?"

"No? I have never looked at my soul."

"I can only see a very tiny bit that connects to the dreamscape. What I can see looks to be a large mashup of a variety of things. While its core definitely feels like you, several things revolve around it. Some of them feel like connections to your Users, the others i'm not sure of."

"What does that mean?"

"Are you aware of one of the detractors of using an Avatar?"

"No, I was unaware that there was any."

"It's a tiny problem, so most won't even notice it. An avatar is simply not powerful enough to house a complete gods soul. Which is not a problem for most, for you it might be a problem. These other pieces will affect you far more then when you are not in your original body. There are a few other problems with avatars, but this is one issue that might be the problem."

"So you are saying part of my soul forced me to have sex when I had no desire to?"

"No. Your soul cannot be forced. Your Avatar, however, is open to being influenced. But that is just one possible reason to what happened. I would suggest getting a look at your soul to see if this was the reason."

"I've considered I was drugged or some magic was cast on me. Yet I find it hard to think it would affect an Avatar."

"Then you would be wrong. The weak stuff won't affect you. The stronger stuff would barely affect you. The strongest, however, comes from the gods and will affect you. Several gods occasionally trade drugs and the like down to the mortals. If you were influenced by another person, this stuff would be the most likely culprit."

"So I'm back to distrusting one of my Users?"

"It sounds like you have some feeling for this User?"

"I'm not sure what I feel towards her. I thought we just had a sexual relationship. When I think that she did something it hurts."

"I would suggest taking a break in the relationship. Till you find out what happened. Otherwise, you're just going to agonize over it. I would also suggest you avoid sexual acts in the future. Here." Kelsey said writing something down and tearing off a piece of paper.

She handed it to Jack. He took a look at it and saw it held two words 'Sleep now.' "What is this?"

"This is a sleep prescription. If you feel like your losing control again, just activate it and you will go to sleep."

"If i'm losing control how can I activate it?"

"It's attached to your soul. Use your soul. Your body may be affected, but nothing can stop a soul. Now it looks like our session is over. It's time for you to awaken." Kelsey waved her hand, and the couch disappeared beneath Jack, and he fell.

Jack's eyes popped open on the bed he was lying in. Blinking for a moment, he found he was staring into the eyes of a large spider hanging over him on the web. Looking around he found the entire room was a mess of webs. Ritalassa was hanging in the center of the room.

"Good Morning Jack. I've been training Inky, I think I might have got a little carried away. The good news is I found Inky does not need to eat. I just need to give him mana from time to time"

"I see. Can you clean up this mess? I'm going to message a few of my other Users."

Inky crawled along the web and grabbed Ritalassa. Then they slowly began to cut the web down and stored it away. While they were doing that Jack sat up and thought what he needed to accomplish for the day. Tomorrow would be the start of the expedition, so he needed to go and pick up the Users he was taking. He also needed to speak with Veronica.

"Veronica, are you awake?" He sent her a message.

"Yes My Lord."

"I wish to speak with you tonight at the tavern. We will be leaving tomorrow on the expedition, so use today to get anything you need done."

"Of course My Lord. What time do you wish to meet up?"

"Late Afternoon. I will be getting the other Users, and I will be having dinner with all of them to plan for the expedition with them. I want to speak with you before that."

"Understood My Lord."

"I will talk with you later." Jack ended the message and then messaged Riley. "Have you, and Telvin made a decision regarding the Expedition?"

"Yes, we have, we have decided to accept your offer."

"Good, I will be there shortly," Jack said standing up.


Telvin woke up early feeling better then he had in months. He had never slept as well as he had, he felt like everything was going his way for once. He was still a bit giddy that Riley had accepted his courtship. He went to the window and looked out taking a deep breath of morning air.

Looking down, he saw his stepfather kiss his mother, then start to head to the nearby temple. Leaving the window, he went to change his clothes and made sure his pack was made up. Taking out to the hallway, he went downstairs and greeted his mother, who was cooking breakfast.

"Good Morning Telvin. Thank you again for the fish last night, it was amazing."

"Morning Mother. Riley was the one who caught that large catfish. Used her hand to catch it too. It was amazing."

"So you said last night. I see you're happy for once."

Telvin realized that he was smiling. It was a startling moment. He had forgotten what it felt like to smile. "I'm going out to the bakery and to pick out some stuff. Did you need anything from them?"

"A loaf would be nice." Rabica handed him a copper coin.

"I'll get it for you. Like I told you last night, it looks like we might be going soon on an expedition. So I need to pick up some extra food."

"Of course son. I'll make a few things you can have on your journey."

Telvin left the house and headed down the street. He saw a field of flowers and stopped to pick a few that would be suitable for Riley. He put the bouquet into his inventory and continued down the street. The bakery had just opened, stepping inside, he bought the loaf that his mom wanted. Then he bought several bread loafs for the expedition, as well as a few treats.

Then he went down to the grocers and picked up some rations that would last for a few weeks. Then he went to the fletchers and picked up some more arrows. He arrived at his last stop and looked at the temple grimacing a little bit. Then he walked inside.

The three elven gods statues were the same as he had remembered, and some of the priests saw him come in and promptly left the area. They obviously remembered him. He walked through the back and stopped at his step fathers office and knocked.

"Come In." Oracis said.

Telvin entered and found his step father was hard at work looking over a set of documents.

"Working hard?" Telvin said.

"Always son. I'm surprised to see you come here. Did you need something?"

Telvin sat down and said "I know we haven't got on well, but I need you to watch over Mianda while we are gone on the expedition."

"Of course, I can do that. That's not a problem at all."

"I didn't tell mom the exact details, but I think someone, most likely nobles are targeting her life. Part of the reason I'm going on this expedition, is because I'm not strong enough to protect her. You however are the strongest person in this village." Telvin said looking at him. Oracis was level Forty.

"Thank you Son for your trust in me. I will make sure your sister is safe."

Telvin stood and offered his hand "Thank you Oracis, for your help and taking care of my mother."

Oracis stuck out his hand and said "I love your mother. She takes care of me more than I do her."

"See you later." Telvin said exiting the room and went down the hallway. As he was passing one of the rooms, he saw his least favorite priest and flicked him off as he passed.

As he passed the statues, he suddenly felt a strange feeling as if he was being watched. Looking back he didn't see anyone and quickly left the temple. That was one of the reason's he hated the temple, it always felt like he was being stared at inside.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

39