Chapter 8- The Tamers Guild
366 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I learned today that there are far darker sides of society and that even those who seem diligent and proper can potentially be bribed. I also learned that there are thieves and such everywhere. But especially by the frontier where the law is weak and the people that come here are often not the kind to be here for the scenery. Perhaps it might be wise to come up with a method to store valuables where parts with lesser scruples can’t find.

From the gate we walked down the road to the tamers guild with a red handkerchief tied around Kay’s ankle as a temporary measure. Apparently, it is required to get a proper collar for your monster pet even if you make it past the gate, so we aren’t in the clear yet. We received many strange looks from people we passed as Chia still holds the big panther in her arms, and most people give us a wide birth. Amazingly of those who didn’t avoid us, 3 of them actually tried to pickpocket Chia in broad daylight! And what’s even stranger is that all Jeff and Tanya did was give them a heavy smack on the wrists. Is this town really ok? Why does everyone not look surprised at any of this? I'm kinda worried that the parts on this planet are far less a proper civilization than I originally thought. While I was pondering that a fourth pickpocket stepped up to the plate. She tried to go for Jeff since the others failed with Chia, even though she has her hands full… Well that ended up with a different response, maybe I should give up hope on this planet… He started caressing her hand for a bit before slipping her a single copper coin with a wink. I could see the goose bumps on her skin raise, to record levels I'm sure. Then she ran off as quick as her feet would take her. Jeff, seemingly satisfied, turned back to the group to find Tanya’s iron claw meet his face. You know what I’m going to follow Chia’s lead and pretend I saw nothing. I suppose it would be effective though. I'm willing to bet, that thief girl will never try to pick his pocket again.

We arrived at the tamers guild and requested a tamed monster identification from the man behind the counter. He went into the back for a minute and returned with a book and an orb that looked suspiciously like a mana stone inscribed with many runes of some sort. First, he opened the book and flipped through it while muttering ‘panther type’ before arriving at a page he seemed to want. Then he held the orb against Kay as all the runes lit up and flashed sporadically. This clearly wasn’t the response he was expecting as he took it away from Kay and used some good old percussive maintenance on the orb, by smacking it on the counter a few times before trying again. Once again, all the runes start flashing. He grumbles under his breath as he goes behind the counter and comes back with a larger orb with far more runes engraved on it. I wonder what it’s meant to do? Only light up a few? Stay lit? What is it measuring? I can’t help but wonder as he once again holds the new orb against Kay and waits. This time many of the runes light up and stay lit while a number that looks like a digital counter is climbing from 1 at a staggering rate. At this point Mr. clerk is looking very uncomfortable. He keeps glancing at Chia who is innocently holding Kay in her arms. The number stops at 348 though it keeps going down to 347 then back up again. With a look of near terror, he quickly retreats behind the desk and is franticly flipping through his book. Its noticeable that he is starting to sweat profusely while he occasionally glances at us like he is afraid we aren’t still standing on the other side of the desk. Or maybe just making sure Kay is still in Chia’s arms and not stalking up behind him. Either way this isn’t looking good. I had a few bird selves stand by around the exits in case he bolted while trying to figure out how I can keep this quiet. Finally, he slams the book shut and stares at Chia.

“What the heck is that thing!? A dungeon monster that can cast low level magic 348 times without mana regeneration is insane! What’s more its mana stone shows signs that it adapted to all but the rarest magic elements, yet it shows no signs of using mid or high-level magic! A monster with that dense of a mana core should have figured out a method to use a higher-class magic. And it some how follows you rather than its parent dungeon?” the clerk nearly shouted at us but seemed afraid to upset Kay so restrained his voice.

Ah so the number is the number of low-level magic can be cast? And how did he think it was a dungeon monster? Ah Kay has a mana stone around his mana heart. And that thing can even detect what elements I have. A rather handy tool that I wouldn't mind acquiring, though it screwed me for right now.

“His name is Kay. And I think he is a normal Wind Stalker? He seems kind of young and small for a panther so he might be a pup.” Chia bless her heart is still playing a ditz to by me time.

“A normal Wind Stalker!? How the heck did you come to that conclusion! This is truly a monstrous B rank! And you think its still a PUP?? So, it will become even more powerful when it grows up? What are those corrupt idiots at the gate doing letting something like this into the city!?”

At this point Tanya stepped in, to back Chia up. “If its as monstrous as you say then wouldn’t it be best to raise it to fight for the races rather than against them? Wouldn’t that be far wiser an outcome than just throwing it out to hold a grudge against us?”

“That may be true but there is no way I can sign off on that!”

“So, don’t. Just claim we got the collar from somewhere else, or that we must have bought it from the black market. If we cause such a problem that it has to be investigated, then it is our problem alone. What do you say?” Tanya pressed a small silver into his palms while trying to be reason with him.

“I don’t know, they can track who sold it so it would still come back to me.” He replied even as he pocketed the silver.

“Then all you have to do is say we brought a different monster for you to test and used that collar on this one.” She countered adding another small silver with a frown.

“Well maybe I could consider it.” He said once again pocketing the silver while looking at Tanya with undisguised greed.

“Well and maybe his first incident will be going berserk in this guild making the poor clerk being the first to find out why people will say ‘don’t poke a sleeping panther’.” She replied no longer reaching for her coin purse.

He looked at Kay then back at her for a minute before going in the back and making a pet collar for Kay.

“That will be one small silver for your ‘Wind Stalker’s’ collar.” He said with a deadpan expression. Ignoring Tanya’s icy glare while she paid him.

Hmh, greedy little pest. Well we will have the last laugh. I’ve just picked my first main test subject for proper mind control. I vaguely noted Chia’s snicker as I thought that. It seems she is getting skilled at listening to my muttering since Tanya and Jeff didn’t seem to hear.  

As we left the tamer’s guild, we came across the Shangri-La! Ok maybe that’s a bit much but we found a bookstore! Knowledge for sale without a thought on who buys it! I can’t wait to buy them out. Though I guess I have to stay somewhat low key… *sigh* I guess I’ll be patient.

8