Chapter 11- Wealth and toys
290 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I'm alive and healthy just a mix of being busy and writers block. Hope you enjoy the chapter.

I learned today that humans, without needs to interrupt their activities, are very close to robots when they get into something. They will continue whatever activity until they believe it is either completed, boring, or something makes them stop. I also realized that I am able to be the ultimate family planning aid. I can absorb the sperm cells for contraceptive, or I can temporarily join the sperm cells to make them immortal and guide them to the correct eggs. I can even make it a single baby pregnancy or an octuplet pregnancy. Though I doubt most mothers could handle such extremes. But in order to do so I need to know what the host wants beforehand. So troublesome… still thanks to this realization I can now have a new form of mass production of selves. Though it is far slower than dungeons to start it has an exponential growth rate and the ability to make genetic abilities stronger for me to copy repeatedly. I also learned that there is a need for some form of storage or teleportation to place all of the items and money accumulating in the dungeon so that we don’t always have to go all the way back to Corrina to retrieve it then haul whatever it is back to where it is needed.

Chia and I ended up talking throughout the entire night. Though It might be worth mentioning that Kay ended up as her hug pillow the whole night. Come morning we headed out to have breakfast. Chia attempted to knock on Jeff and Tanya’s door so they could eat together but I quickly stopped her. We will leave them alone for a while longer. There shouldn’t be anything to strange about adventurers sleeping in right after an expedition. We had breakfast then I had Chia leave the city for a “brief run” so I could meet up with a transport I sent from Corrina. Its still early but the pick pockets are out in force. This time however I gave each one a single large copper after catching them in the act. Much to the surprise and strange looks from those thieves. Little do they know that each coin in covered in infection. After my interaction with Jacob I realized how corrupted this city is and how casual they are about it. So, I decided I will start with the underworld and work my way up. Hopefully, I will learn more about how they investigate poisons and diseases from the darker side of the races than I would by walking in the light. With that information I can start with countermeasures before I spread in earnest. I don’t expect all of them to get infected since its just the coin and the infection is set to self-destruct within a few days if it doesn’t find an opening to infect a host. If they are very clean conscientious, I doubt it will be effective, but the darker side doesn’t tend to mind such things much in my assumption. All it would take is a single meal eaten by hand without thoroughly cleaning hands or a cut near the point of contact. If I focus I can directly control it to make its way to any access points but that would take too much focus and I'm not inclined to trust the simple intelligence of the infection cells to notice they were detected.

We stopped after the first 5 making a show of having an empty purse. Slight of hands are never easier when the hand itself can absorb and then deposit the coins temporarily. Still needs a lot of improvements but it is a good temporary storage concept for things that can’t be carried in the open. Though it doesn’t solve the space taken that adds to the body size. Still it is usable for now. We successfully left the gate with the guards only giving Kay a glance after seeing the collar on his neck. Once we were far enough from the walls that we couldn’t be seen clearly, I guided Chia to a slightly hidden borough where I had two badger selves dig and hide in, with the items I wanted last night. First is a pile of small silver coins, enough to easily send a lifetime without working or support a noble’s lifestyle for two months according to Chia.

Next is a woven backpack made of a type of monster spider’s silk. They seem to be rare around here but with that one I made it the top priority for Corrina to reproduce and study. I intend to make all of their clothes out of this, but it will take some time. It will defend cut-purses from slicing it and the flap goes between her back and the bag making it impossible to access without taking it off. Unfortunately, the only thing I had to dye it with right now was tree resin, so it was a light brown with a slightly glossy flexible finish. Not the best but better than white as that would really stand out. I added dirt on top of that to make it seem a bit travel worn.

Finally, the main thing I was so eager to get my hands on, 5 of my new toys the energy gun! I made it discovering that with all my anti-lightning mods I actually made my hosts hyper conductive to electricity flows. Then the goblina mage showed me that electricity could be made by magic for offense that kinda sparked an idea. They look like a short, angled dagger with a large handle and large pommel. They honestly look like it was made as a backhand bludgeon, but a dagger blade was added as an afterthought. It is a magic and electrical hybrid. The pommel is a metal sheathed mana stone that is fully attuned to only lightning while the handle is an instant discharge battery. The blade is just a covering for the firing focus for a high heat energy-based projectile. Its weak compared to the space guns it’s based off, but it packs far more of a punch than any magic I can use at the moment. Enough to vaporize a hole in large rock, before it explodes, in one shot. The mana stone then magically recharges the battery, so mages won’t be able to see it coming from the mana. I also included an overcharge option of adding the mana stone’s full capacity to the shot at the price of making the mana stone collapse under the strain. Its trigger is simply strongly squeezing the bottom of the grip, shifting the battery terminals up to make contact with the gun section internally. One happy side effect is when fired it releases a large amount of electricity into the grip as the power arcs to make contact with the gun. For my selves, their lightning mods negate this and channel the power right back into the battery. For someone else however it wouldn’t be much different to happily taking a lightning strike and still try to continue squeezing the “trigger”.

I will grant that for all its ability it’s a shoddy cobbled together prototype. It can only fire once before needing to recharge for around 10 minutes after all. Even if I hook the battery to the host’s generators, I doubt I could make it fire again within a 2-minute time frame. There is also an issue with plasma flares following the projectile due to being in the atmosphere when it was designed to be used in space. The overcharge shot is still an untested theory due to fear of an uncontrolled thermal runaway cascade, without an airtight and secure enough environment to withstand the potential temperatures of ~127 times a star’s core of 3.6 billion degrees Fahrenheit I won’t dare try it. But this was the best I could do with what I could find, the dungeon could make, and the goblina’s fine motor skills. Honestly, I want to be praised for making this work as it is. I'm not sure if the spell called a mana shield can defend against this or not but it was able to pierce a rock wall spell easily. It’s worth being a trump card at least.

I had Chia put two on her hip in easy reach of her off hand that way she could use them even while fighting. The other three went into the bag. Unfortunately, we are far too close to potential witnesses for a practice firing right now, but next time we are way away from civilization I want her to get familiar with it. Hopefully, we won’t ever have to use it where there will be surviving witnesses afterwards.

8