Part 7
518 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 7

“You need a job,” Mom said, dropping a bag of clothes on my stomach. I dropped my phone onto my bed beside me. “If there was one thing that kept my mind, it was a part time job. Plus, it nets you cash.”

I sat up. “How’dya know this won’t make things worse?”

She sighed. “I don’t. But do you have anything better?”

I shook my head. “Not really. Where do you think I should get a job?”

She smiled, and pulled a piece of paper out of her pocket. “I’ve got an idea.” I was handed the paper and saw it was a print out of a website’s careers page. “It pays well and you won’t have to deal too much with other people.”

I read over the page, then looked up at her. “You want me to be the secretary at a doctor’s office?”

“Not secretary,” she said, an annoyed look in her eye. Then she sighed. “Yeah, a secretary.” She sat down beside me. “I was at the store yesterday, got in a conversation with an old friend of mine, Oscar Santos, and he was telling me his niece had gone to college, so he needed a new receptionist. I told him I'd see if you wanted a job.”

“I guess if I’m gonna have a job, it should be somewhere people don’t know me. But secretaries talk to a lot of people.”

Receptionist. And all you’ll do is tell people the doctor’s ready to see them, then hand them the appointment card for the next one. It’s not like you’ll have to talk to people for sustained periods of time.”

I sighed. “Okay, okay. I’ll give it a try.” I lied back down. “But any unwelcome incidents and I get no chores for a week.”

Mom smiled. “Deal. Just be sure to make a real effort. Most of your problems are Eve, not other people.”

That’s… Partly true… Eve said. I could tell she didn't want to. It was a nice to hear her admitting it for once, though.

I picked my phone up again as Mom left the room and got back to playing Pokemon Shuffle. I was two moves away from beating Leafeon, and I’d been stuck on it for weeks.

And then the phone vibrated. A text message popped up over top of my game. I wanted to just ignore it, but then I saw who it was from.

Mindy.

Hey U call tom

Who's Tom? Eve asked. Is he hot

It’s text talk for tomorrow.

I responded.

Job intrvw, busy

I couldn’t see her tomorrow, though I needed to see her before school started. I sighed. This was the kind of dilemma that I’d have to deal with for a couple other friends and several extended family members.

Are you sure Tom isn’t just some hot guy she’s trying to hook you up with?

Why would she be trying to hook me up with a guy when she doesn’t even know I’m a girl?!

Okay, I admit, I didn’t think that far ahead. Heh heh.

What?

Head.

I sighed again.

***

“What is your experience working in an office?” Dr. Santos asked me, never really looking up from his clipboard.

I looked around the room and saw things ranging from his PhD, his MD, his junior high baseball trophy, a picture of his son’s junior high baseball team, and even a picture of him and his wife standing in front of a Vegas casino. The room was covered in a weird white/orange wallpaper that probably would have made my mom sick if she were in here.

“Um… I don’t actually have any experience. My mom just wants me to have a part time job to take up my time before school starts.”

He nodded. “And are you capable of putting files in a folder and then placing them in a drawer?”

I couldn’t tell if he was being sarcastic. “Is ‘yes’ the answer you’re looking for, or are you just screwing with me?”

He glanced up from the clipboard finally, a slight smile on his face. “Congratulations, Miss Cross, you’ve got the job.”

I sat there, no doubt a bewildered look on my face, and asked, “Are you being sarcastic now?”

***

I seriously wouldn't have told Mom I’d do this if I’d known it would be so boring. Most of the day, all I did was organize folders and occasionally take Dr. Santos somebody's file. I answered the phone a couple times just for people to tell me they were rescheduling appointments.

The first time somebody walked through the door, it was some guy I knew from school. Kenny, I think his name was. I don’t honestly know if we’d ever said two words to one another.

You could talk to him now, Eve said, he looks like he could use a girlfriend. Or at least a handjob.

Seriously? I'm here to keep my mind off this sort of thing.

I know, I know! I’m trying, too, but it - and likely he if you play him right - is hard.

Is it too late to put that innuendo bet back into place?

Hey, you tricked me with that. You know how hard it is for me to… Dammit, I just said ‘hard’ and I wanna make a joke!

“Excuse me,” somebody said. I looked up and saw the boy from earlier, Kenny. “I need an appointment card?” He handed me the paper Dr. Santos gave him.

I reached into the drawer of the reception desk and grabbed one of the cards. The date was already on Dr. Santos’ paperwork, so all I had to do was copy that.

Unfortunately, my cell number appeared instead of the date.

What are you doing? I asked Eve.

He’s cute, ask him out!

I sighed inwardly. I don’t need a boyfriend, okay? Now I’ve wasted a card and this is my first day on the job, so lemme do this the right way, okay?

I heard her sigh now. Fine. Just put his stupid appointment on there. You could have a date with him, y’know.

No, I can't. I’m fairly certain he’s got a girlfriend.

Steal him!

I groaned, then forced myself to write the appointment date on the card and nothing else. It wasn't as easy as it should have been, but I managed it. Kenny smiled at me, but I was too disgusted with Eve’s trickery to smile back.

After that, the day got boring again, and all I did was play games on my phone until another patient walked in through the door. Of course, I wanted to do a spit take when I realized who it is coming in.

Mindy.

The first thing I thought when she walked through the door was how she was standing the heat wearing a long sleeve shirt and blue jeans. I was wearing a tank top and a pair of shorts, and I still felt like I was on fire when I was out of the air conditioning. Come to think of it, she looked like she had a pretty good tan.

The second thing I thought was Why the hell is she here?! Of course, I knew the answer; Dr. Santos was obviously her doctor. What was really freaking me out was that she had an appointment the day I started my job there.

“I’m here for my appointment,” she said as she came up to the desk. “Mindy Osborn.”

“I’ll… Um…” I stammered. I was making this very obvious that I was flustered by the fact that one of my best friends was here and she didn’t know I was I. Or me. Or… Fuck you, brain.

Stop arguing with yourself. You’ve got me here to be the other half of the argument.

You are not helping.

Hey, since she’s here, ask her about that Tom guy she wanted to hook you up with.

“I’ll go tell Dr. Santos right now,” I said, a little too quickly.

I walked into the Doc’s office and told him that Mindy was there, then I ducked into the restroom. I don’t know why I was going so crazy. Was I afraid of her finding out that the big boobed girl in who’s shirt she was staring down was actually her friend Mike? Was I afraid of telling her that succubi and magical girls were real?

Was I afraid she was attracted to me?

I almost certainly wasn’t attracted to her. I’d already accepted the fact that Eve’s influences made me attracted to men, and though I didn’t want to admit it, I was developing a tiny crush on Terry (and I would never let Eve know that). But was it actually gross to me that another girl might have a thing for me?

“Miss Cross, I’ll kindly ask you to leave the restroom now. Miss Osborn needs to pee in a cup.”

Dr. Santos was probably the most chill doctor I’d ever met.

“Yeah, sorry,” I said, stumbling out of the restroom. Mindy was still in the examination room, so I just returned to the desk up front and sat down.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I fished it out and found a text from - wouldn’t ya know - Mindy.

How wuz the intrvw? the text read.

I didn’t want to answer it, but against my better judgement, I decided to. Went ok, I typed. Got the job

Kewl, she sent back. Still no hangout?

Too bsy at wrk.

This was responded to by a frowny face emoji.

I heard footsteps coming close, so I shoved my phone back in my pocket. Mindy stood in front of me and handed me the paperwork from Dr. Santos, then she leaned close and squinted at me. All in all, I couldn’t understand what she was doing.

Maybe she can tell, Eve said.

I doubt it.

Your face is still kinda sorta the same, though girly.

It’s different enough.

“Do I know you?” Mindy asked.

Gasp! Eve said in mock-surprise.

A lobotomy would cure me of you, y’know.

I blushed. “I don’t think so,” I answered. “I’m new in town.”

And then the door opened, and Terry decided that now was the time to walk in. I was about ninety percent certain life was doing its damnedest to fuck with me at all moments of the day now.

The plot and his cock are both thickening! Eve said, with an almost absurd amount of glee in her voice. Words cannot describe how much I wanted to punch her in the face she didn’t have.

He walked up to the desk, looked at me, looked at Mindy, looked back at me, looked back at Mindy. He looked like he was about to open his mouth and say something, and then Mindy just hugged him.

“I can’t tell you how much I missed you and Mikey while I was gone,” she said.

“Have you told Mike how much?”

“No, he says he’s off at his new job.”

Terry broke off the hug, then pointed at me. “Yeah, I know. Right there.”

Mindy looked back at me, then leaned in close again. “I knew it!”

Double gasp! said Eve.

Helping! Not!

“You knew it was me? How?” I asked.

“It’s not easy to see, but I can tell by your face.”

“Sixty percent of the time you’ve been here, you’ve been staring at my boobs.”

“They are nice to stare at,” Terry said.

“Why the hell are you even here?!” I almost screamed.

He raised his arms. “I have doctors appointments, too.”

“Excuse me,” Dr. Santos said as he walked into the room, “this is a doctor’s office, not a social hangout. Miss Cross, have you given Miss Osborn her appointment card and has Mr. Hughes been logged in yet?”

Terry pointed out, “I just got here. I didn’t even give Mikaela my name yet.”

Mindy mouthed, “Mikaela? Really?” If Terry or Dr. Santos noticed, they didn’t say anything.

“I’m getting the appointment card done now, Dr. Santos,” I said, rapidly scribbling down the date for Mindy’s next appointment on the card. “And Ter - ah - Mr. Hughes did just arrive.”

Dr. Santos nodded. “Good.” He patted me on the back. “Once Mr. Hughes is taken care of, you can go home. He’s the last patient of the day.”

Mindy stood there all innocently, with her hands clasped behind her back. I think I wanted to stab her with a fireplace poker almost as much as I did Eve. “Is it okay if I wait in here for Terry and Mikaela? I just got back into town the other day and I haven’t gotten a chance to catch up with them.”

Dr. Santos nodded. “Just so long as there’s no more yelling.”

I blushed again. “Sorry, sir.”

He laughed. “Don’t worry. I was your age, working a boring job once, too.”

Terry followed him into the examination room, leaving me alone in a relatively sized waiting room with Mindy. Well, and Eve, technically, but I was doing my best to ignore her.

Mindy sat down on the desk and smiled down at me. “Soooooo… Mikaela.”

I sighed. “It was better than Michelle, okay?”

“No arguments there, I just wanna know how it happened.”

“I’m not telling you here.”

“Why?”

“Because it’s crazy as hell and I have proof. We’ll head to my house after Terry’s done.”

She hopped off the desk and sat down in the closest chair. “So, are you like… Y’know…”

“What?” I asked.

“You didn’t exactly seem happy that I was staring at your boobs, but you didn’t say anything when Terry said they were nice to stare at.”

“I’m girl straight, yeah. I do like boys.” I sighed. “Also, he’s seen me naked, so, really, I can't complain if he stares.”

The smile on her face grew wider. “Oh, I’ve got to hear this story.”

Triple gasp! Eve said.

What?

I dunno. I needed to say something.

***

“Hello, Mindy and Terry,” Mom said as we walked through the door. “How was your first day, sweetie?” she asked me.

“Well, Mindy found out and I wasn’t fired.”

“Good. Dinner in an hour, they can stay if they want.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Cross,” the both of them said.

They followed me upstairs, where Allie was just coming out of the bathroom. I pointed to my room, she shrugged and followed us in there. I plopped down on my bed, Allie took my desk, Terry sat on the floor and Mindy just stood there.

“Okay,” Mindy said, “tell me the whole story.”

Before I could say anything, Terry spoke up. “Mike’s possessed by a succubus.”

“Terry!” I squealed.

“What? It’s true.”

“Yeah, but I was about to tell her!”

Mindy laughed. “Um… Look, I love reading about succubi and all that, but we all know that’s just fake, right?”

I sighed. “I wish I could say that. I woke up one morning rubbing my crotch and screaming out moans like nobody’s business, all because of a succubus named Eve.”

“Eve? Like, Adam and Eve?”

Allie answered, “She’s named after Eve. Her mother was the original succubus, and possessed the real Eve back in the Garden of Eden.”

Mindy turned to Allie. “You seem really chill about all this, even though your little brother is now your little sister.”

Allie shrugged. “I sorta have a secret of my own.”

“Are you a succubus, too?”

She shook her head. She turned to me. “Is it okay if I show her?” I nodded. “Get ready for this one, Mindy.” Allie went through her transformation sequence (how easy it was to say that actually disturbed me) and then she was in her magical girl uniform, complete with wand. The bright light was still kinda painful, but overall, I was getting a little too used to this, considering it had only been sprung on me a couple days ago.

Mindy was speechless. She walked over to Allie and plucked and pulled at her outfit, poked her in the face, picked at her hair. Honestly, now I think I took my introduction to magical girls well in comparison to how Mindy was taking it. I was wondering if maybe she was overwhelmed by the idea that succubi and magical girls were real.

I stood up and pulled her away from Allie and sat her down on the bed beside me. “Yeah, so, back to the reason I was possessed by a succubus. I’m not actually a succubus, I’m just Eve’s host. She doesn’t want to be a succubus anymore, she just wants to be a normal girl living her life without fear of needing sex every five minutes.”

Ten minutes, thank you! I’d like to believe I have a little more restraint than you give me credit for.

Hence why you’re picturing Terry naked right this very second?

How’d you know that?

Because I’m picturing Terry naked because of you right now!

I continued, “It’s not always working so well, but in her defense, she thought she’d just possess me and be a voice in the back of my head, she didn’t know she’d change me outright.”

“Why are you being so chill about this?” Mindy asked. “You’re possessed by a sex demon, your sister is an anime protagonist and… Terry’s in the room!”

Terry asked, “Hey! What’s that supposed to mean?!”

Everybody else ignored him. “Believe me, all of this freaked me out at first. I had turned into a girl overnight, found out my sister was a magical girl, my mom had been possessed by a succubus when she was younger… I considered calling you that day, but I thought you were still out of town on your vacation, so I called Terry and… Hilarity ensued…”

“Whaddya mean?” Mindy asked.

“I told ya,” Terry said, “I’ve seen her naked.”

“He’s seen you naked?!”

I sighed. “Sometimes Eve accidentally - “ And it goddamn well better be accidental most of the time. “ - takes control of me and her urges make her take my clothes off and straddle Terry.”

I promise you, it has always been accidental. Okay, maybe one time was on purpose. But you know as well as I do that Terry is fucking adorable.

really didn’t want to admit that, but I kinda had to. Just not out loud, and not to her. “Believe me, getting naked in front of Terry is nothing compared to the other things I’ve had to deal with since becoming a girl.”

“Oh, you mean like boys staring at you, looking at you like a piece of meat and constantly having their eyes down your top?”

“More like the pheromones I emit whenever I sweat too much. Or just the fact that I went from being attracted to girls to being attracted to guys overnight.”

Allie asked, “You’ve had to deal with the pheromones?”

Mindy spoke before I could. “Were you ever possessed by a succubus? Seems like you know more about them than Mike does.”

I answered, “Because the succubi and the magical girls have been at war for centuries.” When Mindy turned to look at me with the widest, most shocked eyes I could imagine, I said, “Yeah, this is all like straight out of an anime. I keep expecting a beach episode any day.” When I saw Terry smile, I glared at him and said, “You’ve seen me naked, you will not get to drool over me in a bikini.”

He smiled. “I’d just like to point out how stupid that sounded. I’ve seen you naked, but I don’t get to see you a tiny amount of clothing.”

I was very grateful that Allie smacked him in the head with her wand.

I sighed. “So, yeah. It’s all been a little crazy for the last couple of days. About the only wins I’ve gotten were a job and Terry and I getting first place in a cosplay competition. But, that’s rivaled by all the almost-sex and the near rape in the movie theater restroom.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” Allie said. She was on me in an instant, looking over pretty much everything. “How far did it go? Are you okay? What was the guy’s name? Did he actually insert anything anywhere?”

“I said near rape. And I don’t know his name, he was just an usher at the movie theater. Why are you getting weird now?”

Mindy asked, “Now?

Allie said, “My baby sister was almost raped, that’s not something I take lightly, okay?!”

Somehow she didn’t get that when you said you’d dealt with the pheromones? It’s almost the only thing that happens when those start attracting boys.

Are you saying you willingly get raped whenever you let out pheromones?

kinda. Not exactly, I mean.

“Look, Allie, I’m okay. He didn’t touch anything, he just tore one of my shirts. Which I threw away as soon as possible.” I pushed her off of me. “Now that I think about it, if that shirt’s still covered in my pheromones… Are there boys being drawn to that trash can because of a single sniff?”

Terry started laughing. “Oh, man. The idea of that is funny.”

I leaned back on my bed. “So, Mindy, now you’re in on the secret. How are you taking this?”

She stood up. “Well, other than being down to just one guy friend and having to deal with you being hot and straight, I’m okay. Seriously, though, girls don’t still turn you on at least a little?”

I shook my head. “No. It was weird, but I’m kinda adjusted to it, no doubt because Eve’s been driving me toward trying to get a boyfriend ever since I got up that morning.”

Her eyes lit up. “Omigod, are you and Terry going out?”

The red on my face was almost certainly obvious. “No!”

“Even if it’s straight, you two would make the cutest couple!”

See? Even the lesbo sees it! Eve said with glee in her voice.

I don’t know which one of you I want to punch more.

16