Chapter 87 – Questionable Strategies
50 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Their conversation paused when housekeeping delivered breakfast. Cassandane motioned to the table when she opened the door, then thanked them in a clear, if polite, dismissal once they had placed the trays. Mike pounced on one of the plates before the door had closed behind the two men. It wasn't much, just an omelette, fresh berries, and buttered toast. He shoveled it into his mouth while Cassandane returned her attention to watching the floating bodies through the window. Marius poured himself a cup of coffee and took an exploratory sip.

"This is awful," he muttered.

"It gets better with lots of sugar and creamer," Mike said. "Though personally, I prefer an energy drink to get my day started."

"Mouth shut when you chew, Mike. Just because you look fat doesn't mean you have to eat like it."

Mike squinted at Marius a moment before deciding to let the comment pass. Cassandane had other ideas. "Do you feel threatened by your student's rapid progress?"

"Do I feel threatened by this imbecile? Hardly. I feel frustrated by the constant disappointments."

Cassandane faked a laugh. Marius scowled, putting the coffee cup down to pick at the fruit.

"In the past, your response was to ignore those you felt were beneath you. You reserved your scathing comments for those who inspired your insecurities." Cassandane glanced back. "Mike, how long have you been attuned?"

He paused a moment to count back. "Eight days?"

"Eight days is quite impressive, wouldn't you say, Marius? It took me thirteen days. I believe you were close to the thirty day limit before you ignited."

Marius snorted. "Erral Quincy ignited in five days. The least of the five was the fastest."

"As a third party, I perceive the two of you to be indistinguishable in strength," Cassandane said. "How much training did you receive, Mike?"

Mike swallowed the final bite of his omelette. "A few hours a night for a week. Maybe six hours another day. Then maybe two hours yesterday on corona wrestling. Between fifteen and twenty hours total."

"You are virtually self taught. Impressive."

"Is this how you sway me to your cause? Insulting me and undermining my authority?"

"Marius, you will either join me out of self interest or refuse out of cowardice. I don't imagine my conversation will affect the outcome."

Marius stood abruptly, causing Cassandane's posture to tense in a way that made both men freeze. Marius swallowed. "Let me know your plan or we are leaving."

"It is quite simple. I have made a spectacle that is sure to draw Nallit's attention. When he appears, I attempt to kill him."

"So your plan is suicide?" Marius folded his arms.

"I am not as ignorant of the talents as I once was. Nallit is only human, no matter how strong or hateful he may be. I believe I have a chance to kill him. The odds go up if the two of you join me. And if I'm wrong . . . I don't believe he will kill me."

"You're not his pet Aoleyen anymore, Cassandane. He's not going to admire your fearlessness when you make an attempt on his life."

A calculating smile graced Cassandane's face. "I have insurance."

"I hope you mean life insurance," Marius said. "Mike, do you have life insurance on this world?"

"We do, boss."

"Then you can appreciate the joke."

"I can understand it," Mike said.

"The only true insurance is leaving this planet," Marius said.

"I'm staying. Your thoughts, Mike?"

Mike reached over and took a slice of toast from Marius' plate. "I joined an army dedicated to the defense of Earth. This Earth." He took a bite of the toast. "Plus, I have all my stuff here."

"From what I've seen, your inventory consists of a car that barely functions and some clothing. Surely you could live better among the fleet."

"It's funny, Marius. A few hours ago you were forcing me to fight while you stood by, giving me lines about how expendable I am and how grateful I should be to help further your plans. Now you want me to be a coward and run off with you. Fuck that. I would rather go out fighting for a cause that matters. You tell me Nallit is bad news. Well, I believe you. And I don't want him blowing up my planet." Mike took a second bite of the toast. "Your call, Imperator. Are you with us or are you resigning your commission?"

"You're awful enthusiastic for cannon fodder," Marius said. "This isn't going to be a fight. It's going to be a massacre."

"Then run, Marius." Mike nodded towards Cassandane. "I'm going to stick around as backup for the boss over here."

Marius erected the fakest smile Mike had ever seen to cover his reaction to the words. "You don't want to follow an Aoleyen into battle, Mike."

"Why not? So far my impression is of a competent leader."

"She will spend your life in an instant if she thinks it advances her goals," Marius said.

"Sounds a lot like someone else I know."

Cassandane's sudden hiss cut through their argument. "He's here."

Mike moved forward to look out the window towards the black man floating beside the airborn bodies. The grotesque arrangement burst apart, raining down a medley of limbs and guts upon the street below. The man spun in a slow circle, arms held out in a welcoming gesture. They couldn't hear his voice from the distance, but clearly Nallit wanted the one who had strung up his men to come out.

Cassandane put her hand to the window and turned to face them. "Are you coming Mike? Marius?"

"Sure thing, boss."

"Against my better judgment . . . yes."

4