Chapter 144 – Holding Down The Fort
14 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once the two leaders had flown away, Erica turned to face the gathered group. "Operations team, we're in for a long day. We'll have a kinetic and teleotic on the roof terrace at all times, rotating every hour to keep fresh bodies. We're going to have another of each stationed at the stairs. That's four posted guards at our entrances. The other three will be making sweeps of the facilities on foot. Cody is on permanent assignment as one of those three since he is our medic. Use the latrine now if you have need. Otherwise you're waiting for shift change in an hour."

Erica took a piece of paper from the printer tray and began scribbling a guard rotation onto it. She hesitated over Diego before finally deciding to keep the two of them together for the entire day. She didn't know him well enough to trust his character or his capabilities. Being a paragon didn't carry the weight with her that it seemed to with others. Once she had the schedule, Erica walked next door to ask Sam if her group could handle getting lunch. The young Centurion perked up at the question and promised to get the meal personally. The girl probably had a specific type of meal in mind already.

Then began the monotony.

Erica never excluded herself from the duty rotations she wrote up. That wasn't her style and she didn't have the authority -- officially or otherwise -- to pull something like that off anyway. Out on the rooftop, she split her attention three ways: the space around the convention center where any open attack would come from, the interior of the building where the other soldiers could potentially be slacking off, and the Mexican boy who was most definitely letting his attention wander. "Keep your focus, Diego. We're on guard duty, not chilling with our buddies."

"I know we're guarding the building."

"Then get up off your butt and scan your surroundings for threats."

"Is that really necessary?"

"Six days ago terrorists attacked this building, so yes, it is necessary."

Diego got to this feet and let out a large sigh. "I'm still tired from being in detention."

"That was four days ago."

"The first night I barely slept because we had to go to a club. Then the past three nights I had to do guard duty and wake up early for PT. I'm not catching up any of the sleep I missed."

Erica shrugged. "Welcome to the Earth Defense Army. It's going to get worse."

"Yeah, we're moving to the North Pole. I'm from California, so cold weather isn't a thing I like."

"Is there anything else you would like to complain about?"

Diego turned away from her. "I never signed up for any of this shit. I wanted to go to space but then got turned into a sewage worker. Then the only way I could escape ICE was to join some fake army that is probably going to get me killed. I don't have a problem with any of you, but I know all of this is going to end in a bad way. Probably with me dead or in jail again."

Erica forced down all of the possible replies fighting to escape her lips. You think you have it bad, when I joined the EDA it was led by a psycho who tortured us as part of our training. Or maybe our mission is to save the planet, sorry if that mission is too 'fake' for you. She really had to resist the urge to come back with some of us could die because you can't get your feelings under control. None of that would be appropriate. She was in charge of this kid. What could she say to refocus him in the moment and help him adapt longer term to the group? She barely knew him, but she got the sense that some generic pep talk would not achieve either of her goals.

What would Ski say? He always had the ability to get people listening to him with that affected folksy drawl. That and a veneer of self-deprecating humor highlighting an unstated self-confidence. Scratch that idea. Whatever Ski would tell this kid would work because it was Ski who said it, not because he used the right words. Cassandane would probably terrify the hell out of the kid, which would not be effective in the long term. Erica scanned the environment before turning her attention back to the boy.

"This is where you are now, Diego. I understand you don't want to be here, but they're not going to let you leave. Your choice is between making yourself miserable or adapting to a new life. I don't know how to give you an inspirational speech. This is just me saying you are still alive and if you make the most of your situation you might end up being happy with how things turn out."

"Or I might end up dead."

"We all end up dead," Erica said. "Just think about how you want to spend your time until then. And don't slack off on guard duty. My job is to make sure everyone is doing the right things. If that means I have to ride your ass all day, then that's what I'll do. We'll both have a better day if that isn't necessary."

Diego glanced in her direction with a smirk on his face before turning away again. His back was straighter and he seemed to be paying attention to his surroundings.

Maybe I'm not such a bad leader after all, she thought.

"So how does that ass riding thing work? Is it a reward or a punishment?"

Erica ignored the questions and fortunately Diego went back to surveying their surroundings. Well, I fixed the attitude problem. That's what matters. If he makes sexual innuendos the rest of the day, it's still an improvement over him refusing to work.

Diego's voice was less playful when it came again. "Do you think we're going to be alive in a year?"

Erica swallowed. "If we're not, then I know we will have saved a lot of lives before we lost our own."

"I guess that's something."

"And maybe if we're really lucky, we'll all be recognized as heroes."

"Hope it works out then," Diego said.

"You'll be able to find all sorts of women to ride your ass if you become a hero."

"I'm still not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing."

2