Prologue: A man, a magic circle and a hole
220 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A whisper was floating in the Great Hall of the Scar. In the middle of the hall was a gigantic magic circle shining in a silvery color. The interior of the circle was changing every second. A normal person could not look at it without getting a terrible headache. Even a normal magician would have trouble concentrating when studying the circle, should he ever get the chance to do so.

In fact, most of the supreme mages of this world would give away all their assets and riches in order to study a circle such as this. They would even give away everything for just a single glance, knowing well the futility of it, as they would not comprehend anything from it. But such a circle is nowadays impossible to access if you are not part of the inner circle of one of the supreme powers of this world. Even those who have free access to such circles only understand what their predecessors have passed down in ancient manuscripts because the knowledge on how to create such circles was lost long ago. Such a circle would be one of the greatest treasures of these supreme powers.

In front of this circle stood a young man dressed in green robes. He had hair as black as coal, with a few strands of brown, a nose which was a bit crooked, nearly unnoticeable, and a faded scar on his left cheek, which extended from his eye right down to his neck. But the most notable thing about him were his eyes. One eye was dark blue, like the depth of an ocean, while the other was dark green like the leafs of an ancient tree. If not for these eyes he would look like any other young man in a crowd. His face had no mystic charm to it and no otherworldly beauty. Even the scar would not attract much attention, as such a scar was not uncommon.

The eyes of the young man darted across the ever-changing circle while he was whispering something in the language of magic. Clearly the young man understood the circle completely and was controlling it with his words. If an old, seasoned mage would see this, he would immediately fall to his knees, begging the young man to become his teacher.

Nof eder akur Esot al. Aro eder akur Esot al. Lus eder…”, whispered the young man without a break. This scene went on for about two hours when he suddenly grabbed the air and pulled out a staff out of nowhere.

The staff was clearly of the finest quality. The shaft was made from some kind of bone, which was surprisingly big enough to create a man-sized shaft from it from one piece. The whole shaft was full of some sort of engravings. On the top of the shaft was a jet black crystal, which seemed to fuse with the fabric of existence around it. It gave a very peculiar feeling. But the most notable part of the staff were eight spheres, which were circling around the crystal. These spheres had no specific pattern in their circling and could change directions at every moment.

If one would look closer one would notice, that every sphere was partnered up with another sphere. The partnered up spheres would be on the opposite site of the crystal from each other at any time. An old veteran mage would immediately realize, that each of the spheres had the aura of a specific element. After a bit of concentration, he would determine the elements of the spheres of water, earth, fire, wind, light and darkness. But the remaining two spheres would leave him scratching his head.

The young man was looking at the staff with sorrow and regret.

After he sighed he continued to chant his spell, while additionally drawing new circles with the tip of the staff. These circles, once finished, flew to the ground and fused with the gigantic ever-changing circle on the ground.

After a few minutes, the eyes of the young man wandered to the opposite end of the hall. At the back of the wall stood three vases. Each the vase was the height of a man, and the width of a barrel.

After the young man pointed the staff at the vases and said a word some sort of liquid flowed out from the vases and started to move in the direction of the great magic circle on the floor. If one would look at the liquid closely, one would get the impression like the liquid was flowing not through the air, but through the world itself, as if it itself were a part of it.

The liquid reached its destination and touched the circle, which in return started to shine and slowly absorb the liquid. After ten more minutes the liquid was fully absorbed and the young man stopped his chant.

With this… I’ve done all I could to fulfill my duty.”, he said with a sorrowful voice.

They now will have more time to prepare, for what will come.”

As he said it, the young man looked at the circle on the floor, which stopped changing. Then he looked through the circle at the thing which the circle was sealing. Under the circle was a gigantic hole. The hole was so deep, that one could only see darkness. It was like a scar on the face of the world, which it precisely was. The hole was a tear in reality and the gigantic magic circle sealed it.

The young man turned his gaze away from the hole and looked again at the staff in his hands. The next moment his face showed a determined look.

No. I won’t let you fall in the hands of these greedy dogs. You are the symbol of our order. You were passed down from the very first Worldmage right down to me, the 57th one. I just won’t let this filthy trash use you to boost their own ego and pride. I won’t let them use you to hurt people you were created to protect.”

The gaze and the words of the young man contained deep hatred. He sucked in his breath and started to draw another set of magic circles with his hands, while the staff was floating in front of him. When he finished he pointed his hands at the staff and said a short “Vol”, the staff disappeared in a flash of light.

The young man smiled when he saw this.

You will be safe on the Mountain of Oaths. As for me…”, he turned around and faced a stone gate, “I have to welcome my murderers.”

The next second he stepped through the gate.

3