Chapter 12: The Oath
895 2 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As she drew near the village proper, she could see a large group of goblins all crowded near the entrance of the village of the cliffside path way. Which winded it’s way down to a gulch.

She spotted four goblins near the school’s entrance, and noticed that one of them was Seshat. She slowed down to a walk, that would be considered “normal” to everyone else around her. Which felt terribly slow to her.

She was approaching the group from behind Seshat, so that she could keep an eye on the new goblins on this clan. Their leader, clear as day. Much like all the other goblin clan chieftains she had met up to this point. He was dressed up in lots of garments and ornaments. He had a hat on his head that was similar to a turban, but this one had antlers of some sort of beast sticking out of them.

He had beads and claws and fangs of other beasts that hung off of string and twine, littered all over his person; strung in his antler hat.

It this guy for really? I have seen leaders dress fancily before, some quite extravagantly, but this is over kill... and I don’t believe for a second, that he killed everything that he is wearing. 

She critiqued his attire on her approach. She looked at his companions. They too were dressed quite strangely, but in an opposite kind of way. There clothing was a bland bunch of greens, browns and grays. Which she found surprising to say the least. They also had hoods and masks that covered their faces.

Have we been getting spied on? This looks similar to what I’ve had made for Artemis and Leaf’s new rangers.

This is one of the new things she did for the clan. Was show them how to hunt and lay traps and to avoid detection. even introduced camouflage, in a sense: this had been something that Leaf had thought up herself, and how she had gotten her name. She made clothing with sewn on leaves, to help her blend into the environment.

She had learned all this from her father back on Earth. It was the typical story of wanting a son to bond with and do the same things together, but ending up with two daughters instead. But luckily for her dad, Crystaria had shown an interest in his pleasure and craft as a park ranger.

Her mother had convinced her to not follow her father down that route. A choice she still regretted to this day. But she was happy that she was able to spend time with her father and enjoy what he did with him.

The quick thought of him brought a quick melancholy to her mind, but it was quickly dispelled by a raised voice.

“Who are you to tell this one they cannot enter here?! This one dares to keep Fraggrim from meeting the Demon Lord?! Who is this one?!” He shouted in outrage at Seshat.

“If you would just listen to me, this is not the chieftain’s hut anymore. This is called a school, this is-“

“Do not lie to Fraggrim, This one knows a chieftain’s hut when Fraggrim sees one!”

Crystaria was starting to feel her eye lid twitch in annoyance.

While I loved nothing more than to bring these so called chieftains of other clans to their knees; why was it, that they had to do this blustering show boasting on who was better than who every time.

It seemed that every chieftain that came to the clan after accepting Crystaria’s invitation on joining their clan, they came in only making demands and throwing what weight they could around.

And every time, Crystaria had to unleash her aura and knock them flat on their backsides.

“This is getting old.” Crystaria muttered to herself.

“Fraggrim has had enough of theses games and lies: this one will take Fraggrim to the Demon Lord, or you will let Fraggrim into the Demon Lord’s home for him to rest his feet.” He demanded of Seshat.

“Chieftain Fraggrim, while I am trying to help you and your people and give you support and accommodate you all. You just can’t come here and go where you please. The Demon Lord, will be here in a moment, and then she-“

“ENOUGH!” He shouted with spittle and rage. “How dare you talk back to Fraggrim! Fraggrim will not stand for this!”

But before he could do anything, Crystaria tugged gently on Seshat’s skirt. This got her attention and she turned to look down at Crystaria.

“De-“ But Crystaria had her finger to her lips. She then lipped to her to call her by her name.

“C-Crystaria... you are h-here.” Seshat stuttered because she called the Demon Lord by her name out in public, and was confused on why she asked her to do so.

”Who dis?” Crystaria said in a cutesy voice, and pointed towards Fraggrim.

Seshat tilted her head in confusion and then looked towards Fraggrim. After looking at him and seeing that he had stopped to look at the interruption, which was Crystaria that was pointing at him.

Seahat then caught on to what the Demon Lord was trying to do.

“Oh! This is Fraggrim from the Silent-Wind clan.”

“Insolent little! You even ignore this one, for a child! Has the Demon Lord been so lax that they let you be rude and do as you please?! Even the little one’s no not their place! If Fraggrim was these ones chieftain, Fraggrim would have beaten you for such things as this!”

Crystaria had just about enough of his blustering and attitude. But she wanted to do more than just reveal herself and put him in his place.

“And who is this one, that they think they can say what they want in the demon lord’s village?” Crystaria questioned.

“*SCOFF* And now this little one questions this one’s authority! Has the sight of chieftains fallen so low, that common no name goblins are free to speak to their betters?”

“This one has a name.” Crystaria stated.

“What?!”

“This one has a name, her name is: Crystaria. It is good to meet you!” She noticed that the two next to their chieftain stiffened. She couldn’t get a real read on them because they wore hoods and masks, covering most of their faces. Only an oval from their ears to their eyes, revealed anything of their faces. She couldn’t see the reaction on their faces, but that stiffening body language told her something.

They know me; at least they know my name. Why?

Their chieftain didn’t react at all besides to be surprised, but for all  the wrong reasons he should be.

“This one has a name?! Why? And for what?! What have you done that you deserve a name young one?” Fraggrim questioned.

“Nothing.” Crystaria spoke honestly.

“What?!”

“I have done nothing for a name. It is my right.” She informed Fraggrim; while she casually slipped back into her normal tone of voice.

He scoffed at her again.

“And what right is that?! What has this one done that it is your right, when this one admits to have done nothing?”

“It is because I believe that having a name should be a right, not a privilege; not something one has to earn. I don’t believe anyone should be above someone else, simply because of their status or if they have a name.” She said with a stern authoritarian tone of voice. All the while keeping her emotions in check and a smile on her face. The chieftains lackeys glanced at one another with a worry in their eyes.

Fraggrim on the other hand just glared down at Crystaria for the insolence of what he thought was a young goblin child.

“Who. Are. This one?” He questioned haltingly trying his best to be intimidating.

Crystaria rolled her eyes.

“I am the goddamn batman that is what!”

“What?!” Fraggrim started at what she said and questioned in confusion.

But it was to late to say anything else. Crystaria glowered at him, while unleashing the full pent up might of her aura.

Many unfortunate goblins that had been standing behind Fraggrim fainted and others fell on their backsides, trembling in fear. Fraggrim himself, fell to his hands and knees, trembling at the onslaught of Crystaria’s aura. He had released and soiled his trousers. Sweat poored from his body and face, his eyes wild with fear.

The only surprising result to Crystaria, was the fact that his two lackeys had somehow remained standing, albeit shakily, but standing non-the-less.

Interesting.

But she focused on Fraggrim at this moment.

“Tell me Fraggrim. What right does another chieftain have in the home of another?” Fraggrim’s lips trembled, but no sound came out.

“Don’t bother, the answer is; they have none.” She looked down at him now that he was prostrated before her. “How dare you come into my village and treat my people as if they were your own.” She took a step forward and continued. “How dare you demand anything from my people, and treat them less than they deserve. I know for a fact that the ones to greet you and welcome you in, treated you with respect that was afforded your station: you only had to follow what was asked of you, while you were in another’s home; and this is as much my people’s home, as it is mine. So you have not just insulted me, you’ve insulted my clan and village.”

She stopped about three feet from Fraggrim. She took a breath and was about to finish her speech when his to lackeys ran forward.

“Wait! Please wait!” They ran forward to intercept her between and their chieftain Fraggrim. Their hands raised and held out in a motion to plead for her to stop. “Please stop,” Said the distinctly female voice. “It is not Fraggrim’s fault. Please do not harm him!” They both fell to kneel on one knee and bowed their heads in front of Crystaria, in almost perfect unison. “Please forgive these ones’ father. He was just doing as he was instructed.” The effeminate voice asked.

intrigued as much as she was confused. Crystaria raised an eyebrow at the cloaked camouflaged individuals.

“I may, but first I wish to know whom I am addressing. And why is it that you knew who I was, but your father didn’t.” She saw that both figures stiffened at her words. But then the female voice started to speak again.

“This one’s name is Breeze, and this one is Hush. We are the true Chieftains of the Silent-wind clan.”

“... Hush and Breeze... from the Silent-Wind clan huh? Clever... So tell me Hush and Breeze, why was your father introduced as the chieftain? Why bring your entire clan; why have you come here?”

Hush and Breeze looked to one another, then had some sort of non-verbal exchange through only eye contact. They nodded to each other, then looked away and back down at the ground.

“These ones’ have brought are clan to escape the destruction of our people, these ones’ have also come to bring the Demon Lord news of what is coming towards you.”

“...” Crystaria was getting fed up with her crypticness and half explanations. “Listen, if you want me to take you seriously. Stop with this halfway cryptic way of delivering news. And don’t think I didn’t notice that you glossed over my first question. So I will ask again, and I want them answered in order and one at a time. Am I clear.” The tone of her voice brokered no argument.

Hush and Breeze once again looked to one another and had a silent communication. Breeze turned back to speak, but then Crystaria spoke first.

“That is enough of that.” She said as she reined in her aura and emotions. Lifting her grip on the people around her. “I want both of you to stand and remove your hoods and let me see who I am talking to.” She wanted to see their reactions to her questions proper. She couldn’t do that with their faces covered. But that did give her an idea for later.

And for a third time, the silent debate exchanged between Hush and Breeze. The they both stood up in unison. Then they also pulled their hoods back and their masks down at the same time.

Seshat gasped and Crystaria raised an eyebrow.

“Twins huh? Should have guessed...”

Standing in front of her, was a brother and sister who looked nothing like their parental figure who was still cowering and prostrating himself before Crystaria and his apparent Chieftain children.

They both had luscious thick dark brown hair, leaning towards black. The eyes had a greenish brown, almost a hazel, except the colors seemed to swirl together, rather than be a blended color. Hush had a more masculine features, with a squarer jawline and thicker unkempt eye brows, while his sister was more put together and had longer hair that reached the small of her back. They both had high set cheekbones, and had smaller noses to what was almost normal on a goblin.

“So that explains the silent look between you two. You can probably almost tell what the other is thinking huh?” She asked in the assumption of what she knew of twins.

“That... is quite accurate... how?”

“This is not the first time seeing twins before.”

Both their eyes widen at this news.

“There are more like us here?!” Breeze asks in surprise.

Seems she is the spokesperson for the twins.

“No, not in this village, but another place, at another time.” Crystaria explained in as little details as possible.

“Umm, Demon Lord... that might not be a sufficient of an explanation.” Seshat interjected.

“Huh?”

“That last known twins from goblins has not been seen in almost in almost a hundred years.” She explained to Crystaria. “These two are a special breed. And have most likely been blessed with being able to communicate with each with their minds... at least that is what was said of the last set of twins.”

“Huh...” She made a noise to this news in wonder. So she turned back to the twins in question. “Is everything she said true? Can you communicate via telepathy?”

“What is?-“ Breeze started to ask

“I mean! Can you talk to one another through your minds?” Crystaria corrected herself.

But Breeze shook her head.

“These ones have heard this legend as well. But these ones have never able too.” She paused, debating whether or not to continue, when Hush laid a hand on her arm. She turned to him, and he nodded to her. She gave him a smile and nodded back.

“These ones cannot read each other’s thoughts. But we have been in-tune with one another’s thoughts by communicating daily and frequently... these ones also have practiced ways to speak to each without words, for you see; Hush is not just a cleaver name for my brother... this one has not the ability to speak. So for years, these ones have developed ways for these ones to talk to one another.”

“Ah! Primitive sign language huh, so I am guessing when he wants to fully communicate to you, he will do something like this.” She then demonstrated by doing a few basic signs of ASL.

<Hello, my name is Crystaria, how are you?>

She had to spell out her name but she remembered the training she had to do for American Sign Language. She had a couple of cases where she had to help some mute with a sexual harassment suit.

Just because they can’t talk, doesn’t mean that can’t speak you assholes who try and take advantage of people who attack people who can’t say no themselves.

She got so angry at her reminiscent memory of her past that her anger almost leak out in her aura. But she reined herself back in and focused back on Breeze and Hush.

Their eyes were wide and they looked astonished.

“Yes! While Breeze is not sure what the Demon Lord has just said; that is correct! Hush will talk to this one by using Hush’s hands.” Hush nodded his agreement with his sister and demonstrated his own version of sign language. It was much simpler looking and had larger movements involving his arms. But she did not understand a single thing he said.

“Sadly you two have seemed to have developed your own way of communicating, I do not recognize what he was trying to say. I said with my movements: ”hello, my name is Crystaria, how are you?”.”

Breeze gasped and her hand flew to her mouth, while Hush’s only reaction was that his jaw opened wide up completely.

“... I’m guessing you can’t communicate that precisely?”

They both shook their heads in unison.

Cute.

“Not even close Demon Lord! By the Astaria! How is this possible?” Breeze asked is awe.

Crystaria gave them both a smirk.

“I can explain it all to you both. But I request we take any further talk inside. Away from prying ears.” She then gestured around to the other goblins around them, starting to congregate and look on to the spectacle that was Crystaria, interviewing another clan. “Plus I am still waiting on my questions to be answered.” She stated flatly, but without any notions that she was upset.

The twins then looked up and around before looking back to the Demon Lord. They both gave a nod towards her.

“Of course Demon Lord. As you have said. Let us take this discussion to another location.” Breeze concurred with Demon Lord’s plan, her brother nodded his affirmation.

“Follow me then.” She told them.

Crystaria entered into the school, followed by Seshat, with the twins and their father close behind them.

As soon as the twins took a couple steps and their eyes adjusted, they Breeze gasped. Their father, came around both of them to look and see what it was that had caught there attention. He too, was awe struck at what he saw.

“W-What is this?!” Breeze asked in wonder.

Crystaria turned and waved an arm towards the wall.

“This is what I have been doing since I got here, bettering my people; like I said before, this is a school: a place of learning and teaching. Where we instruct those who wish to learn.”

At her words, both Hush and Breeze shared a look. They nodded and both looked back to her.

“Thank you for showing these ones this. It gives these ones more confidence in you; not that these ones were not confident about the Demon Lord at this point. But we were unsure what kind of leader this one was. My brother and And this one did not want to hand over the reins to our clan, to someone we found unworthy.” Breeze explained.

Crystaria nodded her understanding.

“That is reasonable and understandable. But I am afraid that does not cover the reasons to your intentions to use your father as a substitute.” She gave them a smile that had just a hint of malice behind it.

All three of the present Silent-Wind clan shuddered at her words and smile.

Breeze to a breath to explain themselves but her father beat her to it.

“It was Fraggrim’s idea Demon Lord!” He said as he rushed forwards and prostrated himself before the Demon Lord once again.

“Father!” Breeze exclaimed in shock.

“No! Do not speak, it is true! This one gave Breeze this idea. This one will receive the punishment.”

Crystaria stared at this man protecting his children, even to the point of taking blame for the idea of testing her. She admired him, however.

“Let me ask you three something: do you blame the hammer or tool that someone uses if they accidentally hurt you with it?”

“No Demon Lord, Fraggrim would not.”

The twins shook their heads in agreement with their father.

“Then why would I blame a man, that was forced or used by another; even if they knew that the other was using them or that they agreed with what their master was doing? Isn’t he just another tool then?”

Both Breeze and her father were quiet for a second before answering her.

“Yes Demon Lord.” The acknowledged her words.

“Then Fraggrim, explain to me this plan that you suggested to them, that I may pass judgement.”

“My chieftains; my children, wanted to know who you were and what kind of person or leader you were. They ran ahead of the clan by almost a weeks time: they are our best scouts and hunters in our clan.”

Crystaria had no doubt of that; just by looking at them, she could tell that they were very experienced.

“Go on.” She encouraged him to continue.

“They could not find you. They had only heard you mentioned.” But Breeze interjected.

“While these ones’ were watching, these ones’ noticed this one with a certain group of goblins all the time, but never participating, we thought this one was a child. These ones’ had heard people call this one by name, or when they talked amongst themselves, they would mention the Demon Lord. These ones’ had no idea that this one and the Demon Lord were one and the same person.”

At the end of Breeze’s interjected explanation, she looked back to Fraggrim and said.

“Continue.”

“They were not sure who the Demon Lord was, so this one came up with a plan. That we would test the Demon Lord’s resolve; these ones’ explained that the goblins seemed very lax, so they thought that you might be lacking in resolve.”

Crystaria felt that she should be insulted, but she knew what these people were doing by the gist if what they had been saying so far. So she decided to just concentrate on what Fraggrim was saying.

“This one suggested that Fraggrim act as chieftain, and act pompous and rude, to test the Demon Lord’s resolve. If they found Demon Lord lacking, they would either challenge this one is for right to rule, if they thought the Demon Lord were too weak, or to escape with clan if the Demon Lord was a tyrant.”

Seshat let loose an audible growling noise out of anger.

“How dare you people stand here so brazenly say such things in front if Crys- The Demon Lord! Do you not realize who you are speaking to?!”

Crystaria’s eyes were wide at her out burst, it made her feel a little better that she was being defended by someone she considered a friend. But she needed to cool the situation, not to escalate.

“Seshat, thank you for your kind words and getting angry on my behalf, but that is enough, it is okay now.” She told her.

“But!-“

“Hey, it’s okay.” She said and laid a comforting hand on Seshat’s arm, she let her aura out, letting her calm sooth the room.

“...” Seshat was quiet for a second before she took a breath, she then let it out as a sigh, while visibly relaxing. “As you wish Demon Lord, I am sorry for my out burst.”

“It’s alright,” Crystaria told her. “Thanks for getting angry on my behalf.” She then looked back to her guests and saw that they too, had become more comfortable and relaxed in her presence because of her aura.

I am so glad I’ve been practicing this, Is has been so super useful.

“So now that everyone is calm. I guess the next question I should ask; is why did you feel it necessary to test me?”

“That leads into what our clan has come here for Demon Lord.” Breeze said.

“Did you not come here after receiving my invitation?” Crystaria questioned.

“No, we only heard recently that you were gathering an army, so we assumed you had already been informed.”

“An army?! Is that the rumor going around? Oh good grief!” Crystaria smacked herself in the head with a literal facepalm. The impact made a resounding thwack, that hurt the ears of everyone there; except Crystaria, and lifted the skirting of the hut they were inside.

“...” Everyone was staring wide eyed at Crystaria. “Sorry...” She apologized sheepishly. “Still not used to my own strength yet.

“...” still no one spoke.

“Moving on from my spectacle!” She said in an embarrassed tone of voice.  “No. I am not trying to build-“

“Demon Lord! What has happened?! Artemis heard a loud noise what is wrong?!” Artemis ran in with a worried expression, her blade drawn and ready.

Crystaria could not help but let out a sigh.

“Everything is fine Artemis. That was just me being stupid and forgetting how strong I am... again.” She informed her.

“Oh, so the usual then?” Artemis said with a cheeky grin as she sheathed her skinning dagger.

“Yeah the usu- HEY!” She exclaimed in mock outrage. This just made Artemis laugh, but it caused Seshat to release the laugh she had been holding since the Demon Lord had lifted the hut’s skirt with self harm.

“You too?!” She couldn’t believe even Seshat would laugh at her.

She was always the stoic, sensible one.

She waved here hands to get their attention.

“Can we get back to the topic please?” She asked her compatriots, even though it sounded a little whinny to her ears.

“Of course Demon Lord. Whatever you desire.” Artemis said with a dignified tone and a one arm across her back and one at her waist bending in a half bow towards Crystaria much like a butler would. This caused another round of giggles from Seshat, and another sigh from Crystaria.

“Moving on; what was I saying? Oh yeah! No! I am not building an army!” She went back to explaining herself.

“You’re not?” Questioned Artemis with a raised eyebrow and a cheeky grin.

“I’m not! Now hush from the peanut gallery!”

At this, Hush pointed at himself with a confused look on his face.

“No! I meant her hush, not you Hush... god this is a mess...” Crystaria said as she reached up, gently, to cup and rubbed her head which was starting to throb with a headache.

But to her relief, Seshat gave a final giggle and walked over to Crystaria and laid a hand on her friend’s shoulder.

“Would you like me to explain to them Demon Lord?”

Crystaria nodded her head looking up at her with a petulant, tired frown

“Yes please. Get that part out of the way so we can move on to their important business.”

“Very well.” Seshat turned to their guests and told them. “To put it simply; as you see in this hut, the Demon Lord, has brought to us the knowledge of how to write out language, she is also teaching us how to read and to speak better: she is also teaching us better ways to scout, hunt, fish, and more. One if the first things she has done for us, is shown us how to produce our own crops: we have yet to have the need to make a raid of any sort in a month.”  She explained all that has happened in the time that Crystaria has taken control of the clan.

This got the three’s eyes wide in awe and wonder.

“No raids?...” Breeze asked in disbelief.

“None.” Seshat replied.

“Yes, and that is the way I hope it stays.” Crystaria said after she composed herself. Seshat took a step back and faded into the background, letting the Demon Lord take the stage again.

“The only reason other races look down on goblins is because we have never been able to lift ourselves out of the rut of raiding for our needs, keep ourselves afloat. The reason the alliance of races attack us, is because we give them every just cause to slay us as the vermin they think we are.” She explained the harsh truth to them. “To fix this problem so that it never happens again and to stop the raids, is to make the goblins self sufficient: that means hunting for our own food, growing our own food, learning how other skills like; making clothes, cooking, scouting, hunting, teaching, and even learning to craft weapons and build better homes. All of these things and stopping the raids are important to better the goblins as a race. And to better the race as a whole, I have reach out and sent an envoy out to other clans to deliver a message to them, telling them that I wish that they would come to this village and be a part of this clan and to help build and make the goblin race great.”

... Why does that sound so familiar?

She shook her head mentally of the errant thought.

“So I am also extending that same choice to your clan, if you desire. I will not ask you to relinquish control of your clan either. I am making a counsel within this clan, made up of the other clans, each chieftain is to represent their clan and voice their clans concerns, worries and hopes. It is my job to lead them and make that happen: if you decide to accept this offer, I just asks that you learn the basics that my clan has, and adapt them into yours.” 

After she finished her explanation, Breeze and Hush look at each other. Hush started to do his version if sign language, to which still amazed Crystaria that they had somehow stubbled through trial and error to find a way to communicate.

Truly amazing these two. If I hadn’t come here, would one or both of them have been chosen by the crystal instead?

Breeze paid rapt attention to her brother’s signs, then did a few back before saying aloud for all the hear.

“Then these ones agree dear brother?” She asked in a gentle tone.

He nodded at her, and she nodded back to him. Breeze looked back to the Demon Lord.

“We are of a consensus. We of the Silent-Wind clan, offer to pledge our fealty to the Demon Lord.”

But Crystaria shook her head.

“No.”

“No?” Breeze asked in a start.

“I want you to swear this.” She turned around to grab a crudely made piece of paper. She handed two piece to both the siblings. “Here, I know you can’t read this, but I will tell you what it says. And I want you to repeat what I say, Hush obviously excluded, but I do want you to swear it in your heart Hush.” She told him after her explanation to them both.

They looked to one another and nodded.

“These ones’ are ready.” Breeze stated.

“Very well: Then I, Hush and Breeze, of the Silent-Wind clan.”

They repeated.

“Do solemnly swear, that from this day forward, that I will lead my people, and follow the demon lords example, and lead my people to betterment, I will treat others as equals, regardless of name, race, or affiliation.”

They repeated.

“And I will not let my resolve be swayed from this course, not even from the demon lord herself; that even should the demon lord waver from the path she has set that I will strive to lead my people to betterment in-spite of her.”

They hesitated. They were literally stunned by what was just asked of them, it wasn’t that the creed was hard to do. But that a leader, would ask their subordinates to do better than their themselves.

After a moment pause, Breeze repeated aloud for both of them, while Hush resolved to imprint it on his heart.

“And I swear, that I will take all that I have learned, and all that I have, and pass it on to the next generation, that they too, will achieve a betterment than I left them.

Breeze’s eye stung at this, she had not given thought to having children or to securing a mate; for she did not want to find another, without her brother finding one as well. But what was asked of her was a beautiful, hopeful pledge, that she was sure that she would do all she could to ensure that it was made into a reality.

They repeated, and Crystaria continued.

“I will strive forward to so my people will also reach for betterment.”

They repeated.

“And that I, or any should, falter on the path, let I or the demon lord judge them that falter, every case fairly, and treat every case uniquely.”

Their was no hesitation from either, but each one thought about what was said and resolved to accomplish that.

“I pledge that I will give my life in the serves of protecting this clan, and my own clan.”

This pledge they had no hesitation, and had originally thought that such a pledge was just something that was common to say before swearing their service to another; that their life would not be their own and that it was forfeit.

But this was not such a pledge; and they had made that realization quickly, that this was no ordinary oath.

“And finally, I swear that I will uphold the laws given by the demon lord, that I will hold myself and my people accountable to them, even as the demon lord holds herself accountable to them.”

And there it was.

Never in their lives had they ever heard of a leader obeying their own laws or making themselves subject to them. What kind of leader would allow something like a law that they had made up, to constrain what they would do?

They realized that they had made a mistake, not about pledging themselves; but that they had so thoroughly misjudged the Demon Lord on her resolve and her character: she was more than worthy.

After they had repeated what was said. Crystaria then said to them.

“I accept your oath Breeze of the Silent-Wind clan, and I accept your oath Hush of the Silent-Wind clan. Now it is my turn to pledge to you.” She informed them.

“...” This revelation on that was said to them cause them both to look up  from the paper.

“Demon Lord?” Breeze started to question, but was shushed by the Demon Lord in question.

Crystaria after that, started on a pledge of her own, much the same as the one they had just made, with some minor differences about her status on being head of all the clans, how she held herself accountable, and how she would lead all the clans under her.

The biggest difference came at the end.

“... And that I, demon lord Crystaria, do solemnly swear, that if I am found lacking or wanting by the counsel of the united clansmen, that I will subject myself to their judgement and trial; and should they ever find my leadership lacking, that they may put into a three-fourths vote, that I must step down as leader of the united clansmen.”

Only silence remained after she had spoken her oath to Breeze and Hush.

Artemis and Seshat both had heard this pledge a time or two since the Demon Lord at started to invite others to the clan.

But for Breeze, Hush and their father. They were stunned and blown away.

Never in the history of the world to their knowledge, had to ever before made an oath such as this.

Crystaria brought her hand together in a clap, but gently for her. Lest she make a shockwave.

“Now that the formalities have been taken care of; you two are now apart of the clan, making you just like any others of the clan, after we get done talking about what it was that brought you here. Seshat here,” She gestured to the aforementioned person to her right. “Will lead you to an area where your clan may set up and move into, other then that, she will introduce you to Athena, who instructs all the new clans leaders of their roles, rules and responsibilities. Now then, what was that important information that was so dire again?”

If Crystaria had to be honest, she had been so caught up with everything and everyone, that she had completely forgotten that they had some sort of important information.

Breeze still having the stunned look on her face, opened her mouth and just let the information spill out.

“The Orcs from the Graggoremire plains are coming up the mountain to subjugate the goblins and take the Demon Lord’s power for themselves.”

Crystaria’s fingers curled in on themselves to make a fist. She would swear on her life, that at that moment, she heard the sound of a record being scratched on the needle, with the sound of glass shattering.

She uncurled her hands and brought them slowly to her face, rubbing it tiredly.

“D-Demon Lord?” Asked Breeze.

“NEXT TIME LEAD WITH THAT!”

49