Chapter 27: Problem Solving.
384 4 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Athena came back late last night, only to have to be up real early the next morning. To say she was tired was an understatement. Her mind was a race with thoughts of what happened. What Lirania had confessed to her. What she did.

Her hand instinctively had gone up to touch her lips. Self-conscious of the action she ripped her hand away, looking at it like it was a poisonous snake about to bite her.

Just what am I thinking…

“Hey there Captain? You awake? Everyone is out here already.” Willow informed her.

“I am ready. Sorry for running late. Can you please have Stubs tear down my tent?”

“Of course! Anything for you Captain.” Willow saluted with a smile before disappearing behind the tent flap.

Athena smiled at her friends silly nature. She had just finished rolling up the last of her equipment, then headed outside.

As she stepped out of her tent, she spotted her seven troops standing next to one another.

“Stubs, your dismissed to carry on your duties. The rest of you, Sargent Willow will be briefing you all on what we discovered yesterday.”

“Excuse me Captain.” Crane called out.

“Yeah Crane? What is it?” She asked, despite knowing he was about to give her a bigger headache than she already had.

“Is it even possible to discover anything, when your camp is this close to the expedition’s caravans? I mean, this was hardly a walk from base camp.”

The three other goblins that hung around with Crane, snickered at what Crane had been implying.

“Crane!” Willow barked. “One more crack like that! And regardless of orders of the Captain! I will stomp you into the ground!”

“Woah! Easy there Sargent, wouldn’t want you do something like that and trouble the Captain over it.”

Athena put her arm on Willow’s.

“Calm down Sargent. The “private”, isn’t worth it.” She stressed his rank in order to make things clear.

But this only infuriated Crane. But he hid it behind his smiling mask quite well.

Athena look at Willow’s face. Nodding for her to start.

Willow sighed, then started informing the other privates.

“As you were informed. We went to establish a forward position last night. But we ran into at least four complications.”

“Four complications?” A private named Grient.

“Yes. One was a large boulder that is in the middle of the direct route we are taking. Second is a wolfs den not to much farther from there. And the third and fourth problem are goblins.”

“Goblins? Why would other goblins be a problem?” Asked another private named Wayne.

“Let me ask you something privates. Are you the same goblins you were four months ago? No! Just a month ago, were you even close to speaking like you are now?” Willow asked them.

The privates exchanged glances with each other before looking back to their officers.

“No Sargent, no we’re not!” Crane answered resolute for his group.

“And what we ran into, wasn’t goblins like us. Is was goblins like we used to be.”

“Maybe even worse.” Athena chimed in. “From what we could tell. Is that they are living in old dilapidated housing that was leftover from before the orcs moved through here. Most of these goblins were, if not feral, lived relying completely on instincts.” She then nodded towards Willow to continue.

“We tried moving slowly to get their attentions, hoping for chance to communicate. But they started chasing us on sight. Which made us have to go farther than we were planning to, which is how we stumbled into the four problem, which was more goblins.”

“More ferals?” Asks Crane.

“No, actually. They were coherent and could communicate. The issue lies in the fact that they have almost nothing, and they are completely based on scavenger living. They also, while able to communicate, were very animalistic in their behavior, they are just a wondering clan of goblin scavengers. Which is to say, that if they meet the caravan we’re escorting.”

“They might attack us!” Said a girl named Cindy.

“Correct.” Willow acknowledge. “There are less than thirty goblins within the feral village. Hardly anything to worry about. Nothing at least two or four orcs by themselves couldn’t take care of. The next problem lies in the wondering clan. They number within at least five-hundred or so. We even suspect that, they are where the ferals are from, that they are the young without being taught reasons, or those that suffer from some sort of brain disorder or damage. That were left to fend for themselves, which they might be following the larger clan in hopes for scraps. We are most likely going to have to inform General Artemis about this, and we will have to make joint effort with the army to take care of this threat.”

“Wait a minute! Threat?! Take care of! Only needing a few orcs?! You’re taking about just killing off fellow goblins like it is nothing!” Shouted Crane.

“That is the plan if it comes down to it. And it most likely will.” Athena informed him. “We will, of course, try and reason with them, but that is also not our call. It will take a long time to integrate these rouge goblins, then it would be to just move in and eliminate them.”

“What are you talking about?!” Crane shouted. “The Demon Lord wouldn’t stand for something like this! You of all people should know that!”

“For one, I don’t care for what you’re implying; and for second, they are not our people: This isn’t the first time goblins have fought fellow goblins over territory. And it most likely won’t be the last.”

“This isn’t right. This isn’t what the Demon Lord had instructed us!” Crane countered.

“Our instructions, private. Are to scout out ahead of the caravan, find any intel we can, assess the situation, report back to headquarters, then they are the ones to come up with a plan. Our objective as a whole: Is to move this caravan, of over forty-nine-thousand, across this mass of forest safely to the United Orcish Tribes of the Graggoremire plains. If and when we can, are to assimilate any clans into our caravans; OR! Send them to the Pinnacle Goblin clan on mount Graggoremire. After that, they must be determined to either being a threat or an obstacle.”

“Threat and obstacles my ass!” Crane yells. “This is just some sort of excuse to make a false repost to your grandmother, to get them to do as you suggest! So you can “earn” an even high spot on the rangers!”

Willow started forward, but Athena held her back with an arm.

“Do you would do better if you had the reigns?” Athena asked him.

This surprised everyone there, including Athena herself.

“Y-Yes! I do! This one should have been named Captain! This one would have if you hadn’t come back!” Crane yelled.

Willow struggled a little bit to go around Athena’s arm. But gave up when she Athena still hadn’t lowered it or stopped holding her by her clothes.

“If I were to allow you to take charge of this group, while I go report about what has happened. Would you be satisfied?”

At first, Willow couldn’t believe what she was hearing. But then she thought about last night, which made a big ol’ grin appear on her face. She stopped trying to push past and took a step back.

“What is this?! Is this some sort of trick? You think Crane wants to play these sorts of games with you?!” Crane questioned.

“No games. No tricks. I leaves, and anyone else that wants to as well, is free to do so. You will be left in-charge of the group after that.”

“And what?! You are just going to report back to your grandmother that I stole your group or something?! IS THAT IT?!” Crane yelled.

“Nope. Not even going to report that.” She than reached up and tore off the sown on badge that signified her rank. She tossed it on to the ground in-front of Crane. “That is all yours.” She told him.

He stared at the badge, then back to Athena, then the badge, then Athena.

“You’re crazy?” He whispered at first. “You’re crazy! Have you lost your mind?! Do you think that the counsel is just going to let you off the hook for abandoning your duties?!”

“Well…” Athena shrugged. “If I have even half the influence you say I have, then I probably will only get a slap on the wrists.” She flouted.

“I will report you for everything you did today!” Crane threatened.

“Bite me.” Athena said as she turned to walk away. “Anyone else want to come?”

Willow smiled widely as she too, tore her badge off and threw it towards Cranes entourage. Then hurriedly walked to catch up with Athena.

Stubs sighed as he had just gotten done pulling down the tent and rolling it up. He hefted the tent onto his back, walked past Crane, stuffed his badge into his pocket without his knowing.

Watching as the three walked away back towards the caravan. Crane worried what sort of consequences that were going to come to them. Or to him for that matter. He wasn’t stupid enough to think that he wasn’t going to not get in trouble for what basically amount to mutiny. His only two chances were to either silence the trio, or to make a bigger accomplishment than the punishment he deserved was.

Crane decided on the latter, seeing as how he didn’t suspect that he, or any of the other goblins with him, would be able to take on those three.

So in is last act of defiance he shouted at Athena’s back.

“Go ahead and run you coward! Run back to grandma! See what good it does you!” He turned to his friends, who most had a slightly worried looks on their faces.

“Come on guys. Lets go and see these goblins for ourselves.” He informed them.

“No!” Cindy shouted at him.

“…” Crane had stopped walking at her shout.

“What did you say?”

“Crane! Even you can’t be this dumb can you?!” She questioned. “Just because she tore off her badge and named you acting Captain, does not mean you have the authority.”

He grit his teeth at her insubordination. Not five minutes and he was already dealing with traitors.

He bent down and picked up the cloth badge.

“Look at this Cindy! Look at it! Don’t you realize what this mean!” Crane shouted hysterically. “This means! That I am the Captain now! You will follow my orders! And follow what I say! Or else!” He threatened her.

“Your crazy! I am not being a part of this!” She told him with finality. “It was one thing to tease Athena in the beginning, to make her realize her actual place. But this?! If you do this Crane, there is no going back!” She tried to warn him.

He gritted his teeth. Then he drew his dagger.

“What the hell are you-“

*SLICE*

“!!!!!!”

Cindy’s badge was sliced off of her sleeve.

“Cindy of the Waterfall Clan! You are hereby relieved of duty! Report back to camp and await your trail!” Crane ordered her.

Cindy looked from her arm, to the blade that had cut her badge off, then to Crane.

“You have lost your mind, you’re almost feral!” She told him.

This time, Crane reached up with the back of his hand, slapping Cindy across the face.

“WATCH YOUR TONE CIVILIAN!” He yelled at her. “I will forgive this one thing! Now leave! I don’t want to see your face ever again! If I ever catch sight of you, I will kill you!” He threatened.

Cindy, who was knocked to the ground, bleeding from her bruised cheek and lip. Looked up at the friend she never knew was inside of him. Tears welled up in her eyes, as she tried to hold back from crying.

She then stood up and dusted herself off before walking away from there group.

Don’t cry now! You can do that later!

Grient watch as Cindy left realizing they had gone way to far.

“Come along private Grient! We have brothers to inform.” Crane said, referring to the apparent goblin clan ahead of them.

Grient turned to look at Crane like he had grown a second head. And to Grient, he sort of had. Grient didn’t say a word. He just reached up and pulled off his badge threw it on the ground in-front of Crane, then turned to catch up with Cindy.

“…………” Crane watched as another one of his friends left his squad.

“TRAITORS!” He shouted after them. But made no move otherwise to chase or harm them.

He looked over at his buddy Wayne, who he put his hands on both of his shoulders.

“You’re still with me? Right?” He held up Willow’s badge. “Sargent?”

Wanye eyed up the badge, before reaching up to clasp it with his hand.

“Yeah… Wayne is with you buddy…” Wayne assured him.

Crane smiled at Wayne assured.

“Crane knew he could always count on you!” He said to Wayne. “Now! Let’s get moving! Sargent! There is a mission we need to succeed!”

Wayne watched as Crane started to walk his way towards the direction of the rough map that their actual Captain had draw.

“…right behind you buddy…”

=============================

After Athena, Willow and Stubs were walking back to camp to make their report. Half finished as it was. They still couldn’t believe that things had escalated that quickly.

“Willow still can’t believe you did that Athena! I am so proud of you!” She said while wrapping her arms around Athena in a big hug.

Athena giggled at her affectionate antics and praise. But she said solemnly.

“Yeah, well… we did all three just quit our post. Not sure how much of a wise decision that was.”

“Ah! Don’t sweat the small stuff! Aren’t we about to be privates in the army? Think about all the exciting adventures we’re going to have!”

“You realize that it is not fun-and-games in the army, right?

“Oh relax! It will be fine! I am sure it won’t be anything worse than what your grandma put us through, and besides, Lirania really seemed to like you! Maybe she’ll go easy on us.”

Athena stiffened to a stop at Willow’s words. As Willow and Stubs began to pass her, the stopped to look at her with concern.

“…W-W-What did you say?…” Athena asked Willow.

“Me? Oh nothing, just that I noticed that the orc General seemed quite take  with you. You heard her right? She went on-and-on, about how great a warrior you are this, what a fantastic person you are that! It was nauseating to listen to her gush about your praise! I think I would rather listen to the Demon Lord write and read you a love letter than to hear a commanding officer gush over someones performance!”

Athena breathed easier after her explanation.

“Oh- Oh yeah! Right! That is what you meant! You had me worried there! Hahaha!” Athena laughed nervously.

“Oh what?-“ Willow started to ask, but then her eyes went wide. “Oh! Did you think I was implying that she like, liked you, liked you! No! No Athena, just… Athena no! Just EWW! I mean, I know were all allies and stuff now. But have some standards! What goblin in their right mind would ever date anyone other than a goblin!”

Athena’s heart clenched at the very disgusted tone and dismissal of Lirania, just because she is an orc.

“…Hahaha I guess you have a point… but what would you think if the Demon Lord and I got together? I mean, she is a human.” Athena countered to distract her from the discussion of Lirania.

“Are you insane? That is clearly different. She is clearly a goblin.” Willow argued.

“But she says-“

“Ah yeah. She says she is human! But come on Athena! You really don’t actually believe that dragon crap, do you? I mean, I was convinced at first. But I know better now… my theory is, that a super intelligent goblin, from some unknown clan, was chosen by the Dark Crystal, and it transferred her here! It also messed up her brain to make her think she was a human!”

“How is that more believable than if she was a human from another world, that got transferred here and turned into a goblin?”

Willow scoffed while leaning back words.

“C’mon Athena! Get with the order of things! Why on Alstaria, would the Evil God, residing within the Dark Crystals, bring forth a human, all the way across the vastness of the stars! To our planet, to transform her into, not only a goblin? but a pygmy goblin?! what sense does that make?!”

“Well… I mean!… when you put it like that, it doesn’t make sense.”

“Right?!”

“But I am still going to believe in what Crystaria has told us.” She told her resolutely.

“Agh!” Willow groaned. “You are more stubborn, than Stubborn himself!”

Stubs looked at Willow incredulously.

“Not to say that it is a bad thing! Hehehe!” She backpedaling said with a smile while looking at Stubs, trying to giggle it off. But Athena and Stubs just smiled at each other, before giving a sigh. A sigh that said. “She won’t change.”

“Aaaggghhh! You two are making me angry! You two won’t like me when I am angry!” Willow warned them.

Stubs only smiled at her.

“…Cute…” He replied.

“Why you!”

“Hey wait! Be quiet for a second!” Athena called out with a raise of her hand.

For a full minute no talked or even breathed.

“You guys hear that?” Athena asked.

“Crying… back the way we came?” Willow confirmed, but was also confused because there shouldn’t be anyone behind them.

“Should… go look…” Stubs said.

The other two nodded and then they headed back off the way the came.

“Stubs, take high.” Athena told him.

He didn’t even nod, but he executed his task by scaling a tree off to the side and following them by hopping from tree-to-tree.

As Athena and Willow approached, they saw a mess of muddy-blond hair.

“Cindy?” Athena called out to her former squad mate. As they got closer, they noticed her cheek was bleeding and swollen, along with a cut to her lip. “What happened to you?!”

“Oh Athena!” Cindy muffled as her cheek was swollen. “You were right! Everyone was right about you! I am so sorry!”

“Hey hey, hey! Calm down it is alright, just tell me what-“

“Cindy! Is that you?!” Grient called out as he was walking slowly towards the group.

He was about ten yalms away, when a goblin repelled down from the trees at an incredible speed. He made his way behind the approaching figure, blade drawn and at his throat before the other goblin could react.

“Moveandyourdead!” Stubs warned.

“Woah there! Easy Stubs! Relax! It is Grient! Remember me?!” Grient pleaded for his life.

The blade then bit into Grients neck.

“AndIdon’tremembergivingyoupermissiontotalk.” Stubs threatened him.

“Easy there Stubbiez! put the blade away slowly, and just walk him over here. Look!” Willow pointed at both Cindy and Grient. “Their ranks are gone.”

“………” Stubs thought about it for a moment before conceding that Willow was right. He swiftly twirled the blade away from Grient’s throat. Bringing it down to his side.

“Thank you Will- LOW!” He yelped as he was pushed forward to fall onto his face. Stubs having shoved him with the butt of his knife. Sending him sprawling.

“Ow! Why do you have to be so ruff Stubs!” Grient complains.

“Okay you two. Both of you better start explaining why you’re here right now.”

=============================

After a long thorough explanation from both Cindy and Grient. Athena’s face turned deeper and Deeper into a scowl.

“This is bad!” Athena voiced.

“Umm Captain? Yeah! No dragon crap this bad! Those two are dead meat if we don’t go and save them!”

“What are you two talking about?”

Athena and Willow exchanged looks with each other. The  Athena spoke to them.

“What is the first rule when scouting a new territory as a ranger?”

“What is this? A review on the manual? I thought you said we didn’t have time, that they were in danger.”

“Yes! But I need you to know why they are in danger. I can tell you the facts all day long, like I did before, or you can just get mad and make dumb decisions like Crane.” Athena told Grient harshly.

“Alright alright! Dark God your annoying… it states to have at least one or two spotters.”

“Yeah! And what do you think those two are about to go do?”

“Oh by the Demon Lord! They’re going to just walk in and make contact!” Cindy exclaimed.

“Exactly!” Willow chimed in.

“I don’t understand how that puts them in danger though?” Grient questioned.

“The reason being, was something we never got to explain. I was banking on all of you going with him, with some of you acting as spotters: those scavenger we mentioned. They are cannibals.”

“Oh Dark God!” Cindy exclaimed.

“Yeah… this is… … bad.” Stubs concurred.

“Well what are we doing just standing around here for! We need to go!-“

“It will be to late if we don’t go now.” Athena told him.

“That is what I was saying!” Grient said indignantly.

“But we still need people to go back and make a report. A report I might add to the right person.” Athena looked at Willow. “It’s got to be you and Cindy that goes back.”

“The hell it does!” Willow shouted at her. “You will not leave me behind!”

“And you know that Stubs and I have the best chances to sneak in their village undetected. And the more people we have, the more likely we’ll be caught.”

“But just the two of you?!” Willow worried.

“Grient will come with us as a spotter. He will also come running or going if things gets hairy.”

Willow still didn’t looked convinced.

“Look we need two goblins, to carry probably two other wounded male goblins away from a clan of about five-hundred cannibalistic goblins. We also need reinforcements, without my grandma or Crystaria knowing. One of the two will kill me for doing this, the other will lock me up in a cage to never do something dangerous again; and you know Crysta is likely going to try and reason with these goblins. And we don’t have the time for that: you need to go get Lirania.”

“The orc general?!” Cindy questioned.

“Yeah. She will come and bring a group of battle hungry orcs, so we only need to get away. And run towards here with Crane and Wayne, because I am sure that once we rescue them, we will be discovered quickly, then it will only be a matter of time before they come chasing us.”

She put a hand on Willow’s shoulder.

“Go back and report this. That is an order.”

Willow smiled ruthfully.

“You’re technically not the boss of me anymore.” Willow said cheekily.

“Then as your friend.”

“Nnnooo… not the friend reason!” She made a dramatic dip backwards. “You know I am weak to the friend reason!”

Athena just laughed at her silly friend.

“On your feet rangers! We have a mission to go do!” She yelled out the order.

Everyone hopped up, including Cindy.

“Everyone knows their assignments?!” At everyone’s nod.

“The move out rangers!”

Stubs and Grient were the first to start moving, heading in the direction of the  scavenger clan. Willow grabbed Athena’s should before she could move. Athena looked at her, then Willow gave her a quick hug and whispered.

“Bring him back safely! And yourself as well!… and the other three if you can.”

“Hey! Why are they optional?!” Cindy complained.

“Because they got themselves into this stupid mess!” She yelled at Cindy.

She then walked over and grabbed Cindy by the hand.

“Come on and lets go fluffer-butt!”

“I told you not to call me that!” Cindy complained.

“Don’t worry guys! We be back!” Athena yelled after them.

I hope…

=============================

Athena, Stubs and Grient, were about an hour away from the rouge goblin clans.

They had just passed the wolves den. While they were making great time. They were also running out of time for Crane and Wayne to be alive.

And while they made up ground because they had been to this area before, it did not negate the head start the other two had.

With some luck, they might be able to meet up with them, before they were captured; if not, then it very well may have been to late.

“So! This one wanted to ask!” Grient asking a question as they were running. “How did you know they were cannibals?”

“When we discovered the ferals, we tried going towards them to see if communication was possible; it wasn’t.” Athena told him.

“Okay? So how does that play into the clan?” Grient wondered.

“In our escape; as we were being pursued, we noticed that more and more of the ferals seemed to back off, the farther we headed towards this direction. Only a couple of them continued the chase. Once we had them down to manageable numbers we turned and killed them.”

“Okay. Makes sense. But still leaves the same question unanswered.” Grient pointed out.

“Well, we killed all but one of them. Then we had to escape quick, because we noticed there were more people coming our way. After that. We saw a bunch of goblins heading in the direction of the ferals we killed. We were about to make contact with them, until we realized that they were bleeding out the bodies like you would with live stock. They were also doing minor field-dressings one them, along with tying their corpses to sticks to carry back. It was pretty obvious by that point.”

“…Right…” Grient lamented. “So my next question is. Why did you just let us  walk into this mess like that? Why did you just leave us on our own?” He questioned.

“Are you kidding?!” Athena shouted angrily. “We gave you guys a damn break down of everything you needed to know, minus the fact that they were cannibals. But we had already made plans to inform the higher ups that we thought that these goblins were beyond the point of reasoning with! If Crane didn’t get on his stand telling us how much better he was that he wanted to follow what Crystaria wanted, over what was commonsense for us, we wouldn’t be in the position.”

She looked back at him for a moment before saying anything more.

“And if you guys were dumb enough not to follow your training and listen like you were suppose to. Then you may as well deserved it what happened to you!”

“…… Then why bother to go save them?……”

“Because while I think they had it coming. I don’t think anyone really deserves to die. But if it happens, you’re going to have to learn to harden your heart really quickly Grient. Because there might not be anyone there worth saving.”

“……Right……” Grient replied in agreement.

=============================

Willow and Cindy ran towards the the expedition’s caravans. Which was slow going at the moment, mostly because they were being blocked by tall plants and trees.

“Okay. Good to see that this is buying time for us.”

“How is this a good thing?!” Cindy asked worried. “Every second we waste is another moment that Wayne could end up dead!”

“….. You didn’t mention Crane?” Willow commented.

“Damn him!” Was Cindy’s reply. “Did you not get a clear look at what he did to Cindy?!” She shouted while pointing towards her face with a single finger from both hands.

“Yeah, I did; and yeah, I get it. But right now, we need to locate the general.”

“Well… that shouldn’t be to hard, right?”

“It is not a matter of difficultly, it is a matter of subtlety.”

“Huh?!”

“Just follow me and keep your hood up. While we patched you up. We don’t need people questioning on why you’re injured.”

“Cindy doesn’t understand why we’re being secretive to begin with?”

“Because we can all technically be in a lot of trouble for what happened. And what we’re doing now, especially since that Athena is off on a dangerous rescue mission, with no back up in sight.” Willow explained.

“Why is it that you only mentioned Athena? Why is she the first person-“

“Come on Cindy! You really aren’t that dumb are you?” Willow question. “Even though Athena and my sister are best friends, and Willow is good friends with Athena also, Willow will not plead ignorant on the fact that the Demon Lord sees her as a potential mate, even if the two aren’t courting yet.”

Cindy’s eyes went wide for a moment. Amazed that Willow thought so far ahead of herself on such things.

I don’t think I am capable for this sort of thing. She thought introspectively.

The rounded a few wagons, that were waiting their turn to make it through the single-file pathway, into the deeper parts of the woods.

They then sprinted towards a group of soldiers.

“Excuse me!” Willow called out.

The ten or so orcs turned towards the voice that called out to them, but they didn’t reply.

“Oh Dark God! What were the words again?” Willow looked up, her eyes rolling up and into her head. Trying in-vain to find the right words to ask then.

When a voice to her right started speaking.

“Ouk… nue noss traa… voss norr trag …esta raggrognon?” Cindy spoke in broken orcish.

Willow looked at her with a flabbergasted expression.

“You speak orcish?!”

“Well! No! Not really! Cindy is taking the linguistic class that elder Seshat and Flannik are jointly teaching, but I know very little... Your doing that as well, aren’t you?”

“Yeah! But I couldn’t have bet my next three meals I remember any of it!” Willow shouted in amazement. “Cindy! You are a damned genius!” She said as she threw her arms around her compatriot and a thankful embrace. “I think I know why Athena sent you with me! Not just because you were injured!”

“Org ronnacrk noss vlanoss grag raggrognon?”

“Ah!” Cindy exclaimed.

“What is wrong?” Willow wondered as she disentangled herself from Cindy.

“They are asking what we want and need with their General. Which is pretty fair, I suppose.”

“Ask- no. Tell them! That we have important information on regards to farther-“

“Cindy is going to stop you there. Because Cindy doesn’t know how to say even all that much!”

“Well then! What can you tell them?!” Willow demand.

“May a I know where the General is? “Please no, I don’t wish to fight.””How long should we wait?” and “please send help!” Things like that!” Cindy informed her.

“Grrr!” Willow growled at first but than calmed down. “Do you think you can piece those words together to say, “tell the general, we know where a fight is, please send help?” Maybe even throw in that it is from Artemis’s rangers?!”

“Umm!… I can try?” Cindy told her with a distinct lack of confidence.

“Ugh! Just do your best!” Willow pleaded.

I hope those guys are having better luck than we’re having!

=============================

Athena, Stubs and Grient were in a birch tree about a hundred or so yalms away from the goblin village.

“Damn! There are so many of them! You said about five-hundred right? Looks about that many.”

“Possibly more. That doesn’t include people we can’t see. Those inside huts or tents…”

Stubs and Grient nodded in agreement.

“So? What is the plan?”

“… the thing we need to happen is, find we they are taken. Free them. Get out without being detected. And kill anyone who sees us… but the problem is…”

“To many… …around.” Stubs comments.

“Precisely.” Athena affirmed. “We’re going to have to do what we accedentially did last time we were here Stubs.”

“………” Stubs was quiet for a while before he nodded. “Sounds reasonable… who will be… bait?…” He asked.

Athena and Stubs both looked to Grient.

Grient who wasn’t paying attention to them, but was watching the other goblins mill about. He felt their gazes on him, then his eyes went wide.

“Me?!” Grient question.

“Pfft-“ Athena couldn’t keep it up anymore. “Sorry, that was just a joke. No, I will do it. I have the best shot. I need to you alive, healthy, and ready to run for your lives. Because there is no way I will be able to run carrying a wounded goblins on my back, all the way back to camp, while I have pursuers.”

“Stubs… doesn’t like this… very dangerous…” He threw out his opinion.

“ duly noted, but not a point. It will be dangerous for any of us.” She then pointed to a spot about fifty yalms away from them, and firty yalms closer to the village. “I need you guys to stage an ambush to kill as many of the pursuers as I bring with me. After which. We will hide and wait for the villagers to come out to retrieve the bodies like before. We will than ambush them, with the intent to wound and kill a few.”

“The point being?” Grient wondered.

“Is for them to chase us a certain direction.” Thinking we had gone one way.” When we get far enough ahead of them. We split back up, meeting back here; reason being is, that we need to know where they take their food and prisoners. And I am almost certain they will eat their own, and those who are fresh first, than those they captured.”

“I see…” Grient nodded. “So instead of waiting for nightfall. We will be doing it during the day than?”

“It is riskier to wait for night fall. They will all he inside of the village at night, plus they have the same advantages as us when it comes to seeing in the darkness. We should use the day time light to our advantage. Another reason to attack them, is to get them to basically sound the alarm, making many of them run out after their attackers, which is us, by the way. And we will be to exposed during the day time to be checking every hut to know where Crane and Wayne are.”

“I see… …bait and switch…” Stubs noted aloud.

“Kinda… it is not full proof. But it will at least present us with the best chance to rescue and to escape. The other problem come with our escape.”

“Why-“

“Because!” Stubs interrupts. “They will have the advantage then… with us carrying dead weight, if the two are… injured beyond able to walk… themselves.”

Grient stared at Stubs for a minute for how well he said that sentence.

“I was always under the impression that Stubs was a special?”

Athena laughs accidentally at that, than covers her mouth.

“Not… funny…” Stubs grouses.

“He isn’t a special. He has… what was it that the Demon Lord called it?”

“She said… it was called… dyslexia…” Stubs told them.

“Right!…” Athena looked at Grient. “He has to say things either really quickly, or very slowly, because his brain is basically making things that go forwards for us, go backwards for him; either his words and speech, or while he is reading.”

Grient then had a look if an O shape with his mouth as everything was explained about his mysterious comrade.

“Okay. Grient gets it… not really understanding how that works. But at least he understands now.”

Athena nodded to him, then looked from one to another.

“You guys ready?” She asked them. Without looking at her, they both nodded. “Alright! Let’s get to work!”

16