Chapter 35: Will the Real Leader of the Group, Please Stand Up?
481 12 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She watched as they made their way from the main street, down a alleyway. The sounds of the night life of the orc village fading as they went farther away.

After the food cart, she paid attention to a few other things as they traveled.

None of the buildings were uniformed, but they looked very similar. She also had noticed that, every single on of them had glass in its windows, along with many other strange oddity; some had flat roofs. Some had tapered ones. She thought she even saw a large metal guard tower into the distance. But it was at night, with bright lights of the street surrounding her, making it hard to tell what the intended purpose of the structure.

If she hadn’t seen this place crawling with orcs or goblins, she would have thought she stumbled upon some sort of ancient advanced civilization.

How have they done all this? She pondered. There is just no way. I mean c’mon! The warmongering, bloodthirsty, savaging orcs made all this?! And I am not even going to entertain the idea of the goblins having a hand in any of this.

Although……

Her thoughts filled with doubt which clouded her mind.

They goblin we chased not only was able to stay ahead of us! But completely out maneuver us through the tree; US! ELVES! Like seriously?! What the fuck!…

She thought morosely.

If I hadn’t seen it for myself, I would have slapped the scout that told me such a lie.

But these goblins didn’t seem to be the dimwitted animals she had slaughtered before; not like the ones that destroyed countless farm, eating almost everything.

She shuddered at that memory.

They had come to kill a group of roaming goblins that had been attacking farm lands about twenty odd years ago. She still remembers coming up on to the aftermath of the destruction the goblins caused.

There had been nothing but bones and discarded remains left of any of the families they came across; including the children.

That was the day goblins went from annoying pests, to something she thought didn’t deserve to live. That they were to be killed on sight.

She was pulled from her musings as they rounded the building at the end of the alleyway. More buildings. More of the same looking grayish black streets. Raised pathways along side them, lamppost lining them.

It was still a marvel for her to see.

The goblins carrying her took her down another dark alleyway, before it came out to an area with something she actually expected to see in an orc village.

Finally! Something recognizable!

This helped her affirm that she was, indeed an orc village, and had in-fact, not died and fallen into some sort of topsy-turvy world with advanced technology.

Gods! If that happened! I don’t know how I would have survived!

She eyed the hut as they came closer. It was a standard hut she had seen in many orc settlements and villages prier. Raised wooden base, mud-caked leather walls, sap hardened leather roof. Tiny bit of smoke coming from the center of the domed structure.

I would say this is a relief to see, as much as it is silly, compared to all the other amenities I had come across on the way here.

As they entered, she noticed her men were all kneeling.

The goblin in-front of her, set the pole down on the ground, before rushing to  undo her straps.

Yeah release me, then I will…

Her thoughts trailed off as she noticed that how they had the knots tied, allowed them to just slide the leather straps from the pole free, but without releasing her bindings.

Cleaver… She accredited them for their ingenuity.

Her feet were slid down from the pole, then the pole was pulled out of the straps binding her hands.

Now she was left in the back of the group of her men, waiting for whatever reason they brought them here.

The hut was fairly wide. It accommodated all fifteen of them, along with what looked like two adjoining rooms at the back connected by doorways, which were separated by curtains of some sort.

There was also a large throne made of wood, stone, and bones.

This must be the Demon Lord’s seat. She guessed. Had they really brought all of us back alive for the Demon Lord to see us?

There were some small brasiers around the room. Along with some guards scattered across key points in the room; some near all the entrances, two near the throne.

She counted four orcs, two goblins. Making a total of only six of them guarding them at the moment.

Are they looking down on us? If we are able to break free of these bindings, we’re sure to be able to handle six lowly guards. Even if some of them are orcs. Hell, I am confident enough that, if I had a proper weapon, I could take on these six myself. She thought boastfully.

She was jolted from her contemplations when a goblin emerged form the back room.

She wore a similar colored garb as the goblins that had brought her here. Except that she wasn’t wearing a hood or mask. Her face was older looking, but while she had some wrinkles, they were not so heavily pronounced. Her hair was tied back into a ponytail, it was a light cocoa shade of brown, along with bits of strands that were white and gray poking through.

She walked out from the doorway from the right, making her way towards the throne.

No way!…

The goblin then stopped just right of the throne. Standing at attention.

Okay good… a goblin Demon Lord leading orcs? Ridiculous.

“Must be someone important.” Whispered Barclay.

She nodded internally at her soldier’s assessment.

Then an orc came out of the room.

She was tall. She had armor on that was colored red, much like her hair. It was an auburn color, which was very strange to find on an orc.

Her muscles, where they were exposed and showing, were extremely well built. Even by just looking at the orc guards in the room, to compare them to her would be something she would describe as woefully by comparison. They almost shined within the fires light on her muddy-mossy colored skin. Her face was set with a playful smirk of some kind, she had only a slightly upturn to her nose, as was pretty customary to find on orcish faces. Her cheeks were set firmly on the sides of her face, along with a dimpled chin.

While her face was definitely battle hardened, and had a certain Je ne sais quoi that made her slightly masculine, but could she could never be mistaken as anything less than female.

This must be her! Is this the Demon Lord?!

She struggled to reach the the knife she had hidden inside her boot.

These damn bindings!

The orc stopped in-front of the throne, standing just at its left.

Are you kidding? She isn’t the Demon Lord either?! What are they doing bringing out their leaders one at a time? Is this some sort of presiding court like the human king-… emperor does. She corrected herself. Still not used to the sudden change of what happened within the human territory.

Once the both of then were in place, a third figure emerged.

“Huh?!” Came the startled surprising cry from Crepe.

He wasn’t the only one surprised.

Her team watched as this tiny, Itsy-bitsy, child like goblin, came out of the same room, while wearing a full garb, covering all but its eyes.

They watched as it made its way slowly walking on its tiny legs, towards were the others were standing.

What it this? Did they let a child out or something? Is this like a sort of wizard or elderly goblin or something?

The goblin was nearly one and a half heads smaller than the goblin that came out previously.

If the orc was, by her curd measurements, seven yalms and a couple ilms tall. And the goblin that came out first only reached just to the mid of her thigh, this goblin just barely came up to the orcs knees.

This must either be an elder, a child of some importance, … Or just the Demon Lord’s fool. Or maybe his whore or concubine, and the sick bastard prefers children. Makes me want to gut him more…

But to her whole troops shock, this goblin child walked up to the throne that was big enough to sit a minotaur comfortably. Lifted itself up onto the seat, before swiveling around to sit up right so that it was staring at them from the seat of the throne.

Her mouth was wide open.

She assumed her mens’ were as well.

There is no way?

There is just no way?! Right?

There is, ab-so-FUCKING-lutely! NO FUCKING WAY! THAT THIS!

She looked at the small goblin child on the throne, its hands in its lap, staring back at them.

WAS THE FUCKING DEMON LORD?!

The same one that had my family killed?!

NO FUCKING WAY!

But despite her disbelief. She couldn’t believe that the dark races would go through with all the trouble to secure prisoners, just to set up this charade for them to confront a fake Demon Lord.

One of her men recovered from their shock first.

Arvid leaned over towards Bryan whispering aloud.

“So umm? You think that is the Demon Lord? Or something? Does anyone know any goblin tongue?”

“No need to worry about that. I can understand you just fine.”

A voice sounding like low brass tingling bells sounded into the room. The voice sounding as though it was singing Elvish, rather than just speaking it.

All the elves stared as the tiny goblin on the throne assuaged they worries about communication.

It seemed that this night was determined to keep them completely off balance whenever it got an opportunity.

“So?” The bell like voice called out to them. “If I had to hazard a guess on why you were all here. Along with the weapons we have confiscated, I would hedge my bets that you all are some sort of scouts or spies…” It then leaned forward, propping its head on a hand, while resting its elbow on its leg. Looking for all the world like it was bored.

“… Or your assassins…” The goblin accused.

They said nothing to that.

“Well… it is pretty obvious. You have been in my neck of the woods for a few days now. Taking notes,” With those words, the goblin next to it threw at their feet their document. “Finding ways to infiltrate. Making plans to find out who the Demon Lord…” It then leaned back, laying its hands behind itself. Allowing it to lean back while it rested against its arms. “… Not that it wasn’t obvious what you were planning on doing… I mean! Why else would a group of elves, directly from the kingdom of Alva Elof be doing out here?”

They flinched.

Damn… how?!

“Unless you care to give me another explanation?… I will gladly listen to you.” It promised. Its voice sounding very sincere.

“…………”

“Still nothing huh?” The supposed Demon Lord questioned. It then shrugged. “That is okay. Because it really doesn’t matter why you’re here. You have trespassed on our home without an invitation, so I am afraid that I can’t allow you to leave.” It threatened.

“You think you’ll get away with killing us?! Well we’re not going to-“ As Frank was starting to speak. The goblin and orc guards, along with the two flanking the throne started snickering. “What is so funny?!”

“Oh! My apologies.” The goblin sitting down replied courteously. “It was just that… well, you said something funny accidentally. And my subordinates do so have a hard time keeping a straight face at the sound of a total joke.” It mocked.

“You think I’m some sort of joke to you?!” Frank yelled at the goblin. Getting red in the face, as he continued to be provoked.

“Well?…” It sat back up with the same lethargic movement that it had displayed since arriving. “Comparable to whom? myself? Or to most others in this room? Your fellow assassins have done a better job in not raising to the bait, when thrown at them? Take your pick.” It told him.

Idiot. She thought as she watched her soldier make a complete fool of himself.

“I dare hope that you are not the leader of this rag-tag bunch of criminals.”

“Criminals?! Don’t you dare insult-“ A fellow kicked his feet out from under him.

The goblin looked over towards Vern, who had done that.

“Very well done. You probably saved your friends life, or maybe your mission.” It praised. It then tilted its head a little to the side. “You wouldn’t happen to be the leader would you?”

Vern said nothing.

The goblin nodded.

“Then will the real leader of your group, please stand up?” It asked.

And to her ever lasting disappointment. Three out of her fourteen soldiers, glanced backwards towards her.

IDIOTS!

“AH!” The goblin exclaimed. Not missing the opportunity given to it. “So you’re the one who leads these people then?” It asked as it stared directly at her. It then did something unprecedented. It got up from its throne, then started walking towards her.

But as soon as it was halfway towards her from the throne, Bryan stood up.

“I am the leader! If you have anything to say to EGH!-“ Almost as soon as he started talking. He stopped

The goblin stopped in its tracks but maintained eye sight with her even as Bryan volunteered to impersonate her as leader to hide her identity.

“Its you?” The goblin questioned even as it stood still looking at her. “No… no, I don’t think so.” It then raised a hand bending it only by the elbow. Its one hand did a flickering movements so fast, that she didn’t know what shape her hand was for a moment. “…Why don’t you take a nap…” It suggested. She saw a purple greenish ring form around Bryan’s head before his eyes rolled back into his head, collapsing where he stood.

This got more snickering from then other dark races in the room.

She hoped Bryan was okay from that fall.

“Now then? Before we were so rudely interrupted.” The goblin said as it approached her.

It stopped right in-front of her.

“Would you care to give me your name?”

“… Yeah… your FUCKING DEATH!” She pulled out the knife she had hidden from her boot, swinging it down towards the Demon Lord.

“FOR MY FAMILY!”

*SHIRK*

The knife made swishing sound as it slid into place. She didn’t feel the normal resistance a blade would give when stabbing something.

What?!

She pulled back from the Demon Lord, looking down at it.

It had her knife held between two fingers. As casually as if it was holding a letter.

“Was this really your plan? Stab me with a stiletto? I am almost insulted.” The goblin reproached her with disappointment dripping from her voice. “I was hoping to keep this civil.” It had stated.

“WHAT CIVILITY DO YOU DESERVE?!” She yelled at the goblin. “You killed my whole family!”

The whole rest of the dark races started to out right laugh after she said that.

She looked towards them angrily.

“What the fuck are you all laughing at?!” She demanded.

“Now I see where your men got it from… what a potty mouth…” The Demon Lord chided.

“S-S-SHUT UP!” She shouted as she tried to pull her knife free. “L-Let go of my knife!”

The Demon Lord shrugged.

“As you wish.” It released its fingers. The knife coming free as if it wasn’t just stuck like it was embedded into stone.

She was dumb struck as she didn’t understand why the Demon Lord had simply let her go.

But she just growled, trying to lunge towards her again.

She was once again. Only to be caught again.

“Look… I released your blade once… and now you’re already trying to stab me again? Can’t we just talk?-“

“Just let me stab you and die already!”

“… guess not…” it pondered while it held her knife. “Okay then… let’s do that.” The Demon Lord announced.

“Here.” The Demon Lord shoved her knife back. “Let us make a deal. I will let you stab me. But then you have to tell me your name and listen to what I say… okay?”

She was fuming.

Absolutely, -fucking!- mad!

But what other choice to she have. She couldn’t over power the Demon Lord with her strength. So she would take anything she would get.

“Fine! I’ll do whatever you say! Hahaha! After your dead!” She then thrusted her knife into the tiny chest of the Demon Lord.

*thud*

*Riiiiiippppp*

She hit something, then was carried with the momentum of her thrust.

She landed basically on top of the Demon Lord. Her chest pressing against its head.

“Umm….” The Demon Lord spoke. “Not that I don’t love a woman’s chest pressed against my face… but can you please get off of me?”

“What?!”

She pulled back. Looking down at the Demon Lord, still standing there, not a drop of blood to be found on her.

“Seriously?! How?!” All she had managed to accomplish was to tear the Demon Lord’s clothes.

It shrugged at her.

“I’m just super strong and tough… we haven’t found anything that could cut me, nor anyone… Well! That is with the exception of myself I suppose.” It amended.

“FUCK YOU!” She shouted at it. “FUCK YOU FOR MAKING ME BELIEVE I COULD KILL YOU!” She tossed her knife down it anger. “FUCK YOU FOR KILLING MY FAMILY! AND FUCK YOU FOR EXISTING! IF IT WASN’T FOR YOU THEY WOULDN’T— ACK!” She suddenly started choking.

“That is quite enough of that.” The Demon Lord told her.

She reached up, gripping at her throat.

How?! I’m choking! Why?!

“I have been courteous to you, despite your attempts at assassination. Your intrusion. Your absolutely appalling language. So the least you, could do, is extend that courtesy.”

“PRINC Commander- ACK-“ Frank shouted but was cut off by something. She couldn’t see what. Her eyes were watering.

“Aaahhhh! Now that is interesting to hear! A princess is it?” The Demon Lord tilted her head. “Then I have an idea.”

“UUUOOOOGHHHHHH! *COUGH*COUGH*COUGH*COUGH*” Whatever was choking her had just suddenly released her.

She choked and coughed for a couple minutes before the Demon Lord lifted her by her hair.

“I have been extremely courteous. I have not harmed any of you, as of yet. Though it is my very right to do so.” It told her. “But as we agreed. You will tell me your name, who knows you’re here, and listen to what I have to say.” It instructed her before moving closer towards her face. “Do I make myself clear?”

*SPIT*

“……” The Demon Lord lifted up her hand, wiping away the spit on her mask.

“Okay. I’m done.” The Demon Lord reached down. Picked up the dagger, thrusted it back into her hand.

“Take that, and follow me.” It said with a flick of her hands. A blue, green and purple circle appeared around the hand it had flicked.

“Do you really just expect me to?-“ but to her amazement. She could feel her body moving against her will.

“W-What is happening?! What did you fucking do to me?!”

“Please keep the cursing to a minimal, I would hate to have someone to compete with in my swear jar.” She jested.

She didn’t understand a thing the Demon Lord was saying.

She felt herself trembling at the fact that she had no control over her body.

But this didn’t stop the fact 

The reached the sleeping form of her good friend Bryan.

“Stab him.”

“What?! You think I am just going to?!-“ But to her horror. Something compelled her. She found herself dropping to her knees. Her tied arms lifted the dagger high above her head. Her whole body was trembling as she watched in horror as she held the dagger aloft, ready to strike it down.

“NO! Please! Mercy! Please don’t make me kill my men!”

The Demon Lord shrugged. “That is to bad. I asked for courtesy, and all I got back were wrongful accusations and a stabbing of own. I think it is only fair I returned the favor. What better way to punish you, then for you to deal out the punishment yourself.” It explained.

“NO! I will tell you everything you want to know! Anything! Just please! Don’t make me kill him! Don’t let me kill Bryan!”

The Demon Lord shrugged again.

“Should have thought of that before you spurned my hospitality.” She nodded her head. “Do it.”

Her arms came crashing down forcefully.

“NNNNOOOO!”

*SLICK*

“There? See? That is how you stab some one.” She commended.

“…….”

There was no reply for a while.

“Princess?”

Crystaria went over to flip over her prone form.

“Huh? She fainted…” She turned back to Artemis. “Maybe I had been a little to hard on her?” She asked.

“Nah! Most people, if they were in your position after interrogating people like this with such tight lips, would have either tortured them, or just out right killed them, then hung their bodies from the wall.” She explained.

“Gross! Why would I hang bodies like that and ruin my perfectly clean wall.” Crystaria Quipped.

They all shared a laugh.

But then Artemis grew serious.

“So? What are we going to do with them?”

Crystaria also looked down at the girl who had a knife in her hands, having it plunged up to the hilt if the dagger into the floor boards.

“Good question. She thought that was real enough. But the trick will lose its potency… Any suggestions?”

Lirania raised her hand up slightly from where she had her arms crossed over each other.

“Why not just separate them? Put them into different rooms, then question them one-by-one?”

“Hmm… that has merit, but it also might take a while that way. And some of them might not be willing to talk, even then.” Artemis countered.

“Well then? Let us split the difference. Let’s split up the princess, not tell her she hadn’t actually stabbed anyone. Then we can “threaten her” with the safety of her other soldiers.” Lirania suggested. “You saw how she reacted just now. Might prove easier if you make that threat that you’ll have her kill more of them.”

“Mmmmm seems mean…” Crystaria worried. “I already didn’t like the idea of threatening them with their stay here. I want ti integrate them, not interrogate them.”

“Yeah well. It worked wonders. Stupid kid jumped up at the provocation like a starving fish in a barrel.” Lirania countered. “Might want to separate him to, he might have a lot of useful information.

“Very true…” Crystaria thought for a minute on how to do this. “… Let’s separate them by which household knows elvish, give them some real actual hospitality. Then see if we can’t get them to crack with kindness.”

“Still clinging to the carrot approach huh?”

Crystaria shrugged.

“Of course I am. Better the carrot, and let then come to you of their own volition rather than by force. Then when the time comes for them to make a choice. It will be harder for them to betray.”

“Buying their loyalty essentially.”

“In a way. But I am trying to buy it, with my own promises and loyalties.” She looked down at the collapsed princess.

“This is going to be trouble. I can feel it.”

25