Chapter 20 – Theories and Questions
272 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Flying ships…” Logan looked at her, as if for confirmation. Karen nodded back.

“I… did not see that one coming,” Logan admitted. “And I definitely don’t remember reading about flying ships in Dante’s Inferno.”

“No, of course not.” Alan rose to his feet. “Well then, if it is still your intention to meet the others, I should return and prepare them first. Otherwise, arriving armed as you are, would only frighten them and achieve no good purpose. Please allow me that courtesy.”

“Ok,” Logan replied. “You do that. Come back tomorrow and you can show me the way and introduce me to your friends.”

“Agreed.” Alan held up the small crystal in his hand. “May I leave this here to charge?”

“Yes?” Logan replied cautiously.

They both watched as Alan walked over tho the orange glowing crystal cluster and place his own smaller crystal among them. Moments later it too began to glow a bright orange. With a gentle tug, he pulled a different small crystal loose that continued to glow with the same bright, orange light.

“For the walk back,” Alan explained.

Logan just watched in stunned silence. In the last minutes, he had learned of flying ships, Circle hopping through Hell, wandering neighbors, and detachable crystals. Information overload made his head spin.

Alan paused just before walking off into the darkness and turned to Logan. The crystal in his hand cast eerie shadows across his face.

“Regarding your stated intention to escape out of Hell. Allow me to leave you with this thought for our next conversation. What if I told you Hell was not supposed to exist?”

Logan looked around and chuckled. “Friend, I hate to break it to you…”

Alan smiled. “Yes, yes. And yet, consider that this place we see around us, this Christian Hell, was not once mentioned in Christian teachings during the first four hundred years of being an established religion. It is later mentioned in the various versions of the Bible, of course, but every one of those examples is a mistaken translation of one of four words, none of which accurately translates to a fiery domain of eternal punishment.”

Alan stared at him and smiled in the orange glow of the crystal. “In other words, my friend, about two thousand years ago, the church fathers made it all up.” He tapped the side of his head and winked. “Think about it.”

Karen stood beside Logan and watched as the strange, little man turned a corner and slipped away into darkness. Logan startled her by suddenly leaping into motion to strap his armor on and pocket a handful of pebbles off of the ground.

“Where are you going?”

“To follow,” he answered.

Karen shivered and seemed to shrink in on herself. “You’re going to leave me here alone? You don’t have to go. He seems nice enough. Besides…” She offered a smile of unspoken, wicked promise. “I’m sure we could find more interesting things to do right here.”

“Perhaps his people are no threat and perhaps not.” Logan buckled his blades around his waist. "I’m not taking any chances. If they are a danger, I intend to have the advantage of surprise.”

He walked over to the crystal cluster and bent down for a closer look. Carefully, he tugged at the smaller crystals. Sure enough, one came loose in his hands, glowing a bright orange. “Cool.”

He looked back at Karen, staring at him wide-eyed. “Hey,” he grinned at her and winked. “Remember that you are Karen, the Slayer. You got this and I will be back before you know it.”

She threw her arms around him and planted a kiss on his lips. “Just be careful, ok?”

Logan moved off into unexplored darkness as quickly as stealth would allow and tried not to think about how many things could go wrong with this spur-of-the-moment plan. Cave exploration came with serious risks, especially in a rush. The ground was not level or smooth. He climbed, crawled, and squeezed through the random flow of stone and sediment where serious injury could happen at a moment’s notice.

Side passages emerged out of the shadow. The faint sound of movement ahead kept him oriented but getting hopelessly lost was a real, and terrifying, danger. He laid pebbled out in an arrow shape at every new passage to help map the way back home.

It was a great relief to finally catch up to the orange nimbus of Alan’s borrowed light crystal. Logan smothered his own light as much as he could and still be able to see where to put his feet. From that point, the greatest danger was destroying what little trust they had managed to build with this new neighbor.

If Alan discovered him sneaking along behind, the man would have every justification to think the worst. It might start the exact conflict Logan hoped to avoid. Alan was careful, looking back over his shoulder as if worried about the very thing Logan was attempting to do.

Logan felt guilty about it, like he was the bad guy in this scenario but not, he realized, as guilty as he would have felt only a few weeks ago. Life in Hell was changing him in more ways than one. The fight for survival was reshaping him, body and mind. Back into the mindset of the soldier he had been on the was-torn battlefields of Afghanistan. Weeks of hunting had melted the flab of easy living off of his body until nothing but lean, hard muscle remained. Of greater concern was the changes he could not see or understand.

What did I do to Karen?

Logan thought back on all the women he had been with in his life. There had been more than a few. Ever since hitting his growth spurt at seventeen, Logan had never had many problems attracting female attention. He knew his way around a woman’s body, but this had been something entirely new.

Never before had he fucked a woman into unconsciousness! Much less, what had happened immediately after. Something he could only define as… a transformation.

Logan had watched it happen while he kept a worried watch on Karen as she lay sleeping. Over the course of a few hours, her body had begun to change. Karen’s complexion and hair had lost that pale wash of color so common amongst the few damned souls he had seen. The circles under her eyes had vanished. By the time she had woken, Logan could almost swear she looked…

Almost alive, he realized, nearly stumbling on the rough tunnel floor in shock.

And, of course, he had abandoned her almost immediately after she had woken, to stalk a man who had offered them no threat. With all that was happening, should he have stayed to look after her?

No, he decided. It was a calculated risk, but he could not afford the luxury of assuming strangers were not a threat. All Logan could do was tackle one problem at a time and have faith in the strength of his females to take care of themselves. Both Karen and Beauty were strong in their own right. He had to trust in that, and in them.

Alan led him on a merry chase through twisting passages before eventually stepping out into a second, large cavern. A fissure in the ceiling allowed a slim ray of daylight in. Two clusters of crystal, both smaller than the one in Logan's cavern, glowed a pale beige. Between the two and the light spilling in through the ceiling from outside, there was enough illumination to drive the blackness back and see a large, blocky shape against the far cavern wall.

Logan looked but could not believe what he was seeing. He remembered a vacation to Greece during his second deployment and a visit to the ancient ruins of the Parthenon, still standing after countless centuries, with its many columns of marble and peaked roof. Here, buried in this cavern below the blasted landscape of Hell, he was seeing it again.

Couldn't be the Parthenon, he realized. This one is smaller and not nearly so ruined.

Three, low steps led up to a platform that wrapped around the building, lined with thick, tapered columns of what did appear to be marble. The columns supported a triangular roof decorated with a band of elaborate carvings Logan could not identify from so far away. The entire structure was canted at a slight angle, perhaps from a long-ago earthquake.

Even more strange, he could only see about twenty feet and one open doorway of what should have been a long, rectangular building. If it was a replica of the Parthenon, then it should have been more than a hundred feet long. Yet, only that small front section was visible. The rest of the structure looked to vanish into the raw bedrock of the cavern wall, almost like the fake building fronts Hollywood built on studio lots for filming Western movies.

As he watched, Alan approached and called out a greeting. Nineteen men and ten women, emerged out of the doorway and into the light. Some had that haggard look Logan had come to associate with damned souls. Most looked relatively healthy, at least by Hell standards. Ages ranged from young adults to the elderly. They were all, of course, completely naked.

“Back so soon?” one of the men asked.

“I have some good news,” Alan replied. “I have made a new friend. Someone who could be an ally in our efforts to save more souls.”

Multiple voices spoke up at once. Logan couldn’t make out the conversation but he could hear the doubt and suspicion in the way they spoke. By all accounts, they seemed more afraid of discovery than Logan had been. More importantly, what he did not hear was any sense of anger or violent response. There was curiosity and concern in their collective reaction, but nothing Logan saw or heard gave him any reason to think the gathered souls were a danger.

That would have to be enough. The longer he stayed, the more risk he took of being discovered. Logan backed into darkness and began to find his way back home, trying to understand what he had just witnessed.

An ancient Greek building in Hell. Then there was what Alan had said. Five rivers in Hell, all of Greek origin.

It made no sense. What did ancient Greece have to do with Christian Hell? The Greeks worshipped pagan gods like Zeus and Athena. What was the connection?

Logan found no answers on the return journey. Karen beamed to see him return and jumped into his embrace, kissing him with feverish intensity.

“I was so… worried about… you!” She managed between kisses.

Logan gently untangled himself from her. “I was worried about you too. Are you ok?”

“I am now. What did you see?”

Logan shook his head and stared out into the middle distance. I wish I knew, he thought.

Out loud, he said, ”A group of human souls hiding out in the deep caves. Thirty, counting Alan. They seem harmless enough for now. Tomorrow I will go to meet them and be able to better judge how to move forward.”

Karen nodded. “That is an unusually large group, but I wouldn’t worry too much about them. It's not unusual for the damned to gather in small communities when we can. It’s dangerous because more souls mean a greater chance of being discovered, but for many, the risk is better than being always alone. And we know better than to try and fight back. Damned souls only know two options, submit or run away and hide.”

A slow, wicked smile spread across her lips. Her hand reached out to rub at his crotch. “Speaking of which, I wouldn’t mind doing a bit of submitting right about now.”

“Horny again already?” he laughed.

Karen opened her mouth to reply, then paused. An odd look passed across her face. “Yes, and… also no.” She blinked at him in astonishment, smiling in pure delight. “I don’t feel like I have to have it anymore, at all. That gnawing hunger is completely gone! I feel... wonderful!”

He stared at her. “You look amazing.”

She blushed and brushed at the tangle of her long, dark hair in a self-conscious gesture. “Well, that’s probably a stretch but I appreciate you saying so.”

“Karen, I’m serious. I wish I had a mirror to show you. Look at your hands.”

She held her hands up and stared at them as she wiggled her fingers, at the healthy complexion that had replaced the washed-out color of her flesh.

“Oh my!” she grinned.

“I watched it happen to you while you slept,” he said. “Somehow, you and I having sex did this to you though I can’t imagine how or why.”

Karen reached up to explore the lines of her face with her fingertips, then looked at him and nodded. “I have a theory about that. It relates to something else I meant to talk to you about.”

“Oh? Alright, color me curious. What do you think happened?”

She laughed. “I think you happened. Ever since waking up, I have been feeling this strange warmth and energy spreading throughout my entire body. And it all started right here.” Karen tapped a finger against the delicate strip of her dark pubes.

“What are you suggesting?”

“That you are a very special and remarkable man.”

“Karen…” Logan sighed.

She silenced his protests with a kiss and a smile. “No, hear me out. It has to be because you are alive, truly alive." She pointed at her chest. "I died, Logan. I am here only in spirit. This body of mine is not real, just like every other human in Hell."

She laid a hand on his chest, gliding her fingers over the swell of his pectoral muscles. "All except you. Somehow, you are here in spirit and body. That has to be where your strength and power comes from. It is why you don’t seem to be tethered to the limitations the rest of us suffer from, such as a dependency on demons for sexual gratification. What's more, I think you can share that strength with others."

He arched an eyebrow at her. "How's that?"

Karen grinned and gave his crotch a playful squeeze. "With this."

Logan rolled his eyes. "I thought we were having a serious discussion."

"Oh, we are," she nodded with a sober expression. "Think about it. The average human male ejaculate contains upwards of one billion sperm cells. One billion, all hardwired for just one purpose. To germinate a female for the creation of life itself.”

His eyes opened wide. “Tell me you’re not suggesting….”

Karen replied with a sad smile. “No, I will never know what it is to be with child. I only exist in spirit, remember? This body is just an echo, a memory, of the woman I was in life. But you are real. Just as the billion little swimmers you released into me are real, and all of that protein and life-giving energy has to go somewhere.”

“Yeah, but… where?”

“Everywhere,” she shrugged. “Logan, I can still feel your semen inside me. Not like a fluid, not anymore, but like a... a warmth and energy slowly spreading throughout my entire being.” She laughed. “I can even feel it in the roots of my hair!”

Logan stared past her. His eyebrows rose toward his hairline as he thought about Beauty and her obsession with finishing him off in her mouth every chance she could. Quite literally feeding on him week after week, sometimes multiple times a day. "The day we rescued you. I remember wondering how Beauty was capable of taking out a larger, older demon as easily as she did."

“Yes,” Karen nodded. “And I think we now know why. Your life force, what we refer to as Essence, is like nothing else in all of Hell and I suspect it has made her strong far beyond her apparent age. Your Essence is unmatched and practically infinite because, unlike the rest of us, you have a physical body that constantly renews your energy levels.”

Karen grinned. “No wonder our friendly sex demon latched on to you at first taste and didn’t let go!”

Logan shook his head and smiled back. “As crazy as it sounds, I can’t think of a single argument for what you are suggesting. When did you get so insightful?”

She chuckled, then shrugged. “Well, I was a prostitute. Being an expert on sex was sort of a job requirement.”

“Astonishing.” Logan shook his head.

The wicked expression was back on her face. "We could test my theory."

Logan chuckled at her. "I thought you said you weren't horny?"

"I said I don't need to. I didn't say that I don't want to. To be more specific, I want you in my mouth. I want to find out for myself what Beauty is so obsessed with.”

“You do?”

She nodded and licked her lips. “I do. I really do.”

Logan heaved a dramatic sigh as if shouldering a heavy burden.”Well, if you must. I suppose it would be rude to deny you the opportunity.”

“Yes, it would.” She giggled. “But first things first. Kindly strip and join me in the water. First, I am going to wash you clean and then I am going to blow your mind.”

“Just my mind?” he teased with a grin.

“No,” she grinned back. “Not just your mind. Now, clothes off, please.”

Karen proved, to his amazement and delight, quite thorough in her ability to distract him from the questions weighing heavily on his mind. Questions that would need to be answered, eventually, but it could wait until tomorrow. The evening rolled by in companionship and laughter and that was more than enough.

7