Chapter 7
26 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The battle raged as Kali turned the crank on her crossbow. She pushed her will into the inscription on the mechanical contraption. The runes on it began to glow, and the strain in her arms lightened. The bowstring locked with a click. She knelt down and loaded a heavy bolt into the groove, before bringing the stock of the weapon to rest against her heavily padded shoulder.

Taking a breath, she waited for the right moment. Her job was to distract and create openings. And that is what she’d do.

She saw one of the hunters get crushed under the beast’s foot. She saw Jerrick hurl a bottle of that concoction he liked. It smashed against the beast’s head, burning into it. Blood mixed with the vile alchemical substance and dripped onto the ground.

Kali took aim at the beast’s face. From the corner of her vision, she saw Holin’s head turn to the woods beyond the creature. A frown creased her forehead. Lifting her head from the bow, she scanned the trees but could see nothing.

“Bring it down!” Rhone shouted above the clamour. “Quickly now!”

She looked over to Rhone and saw that Holin had moved next to him. Holin retreated another step before bending over with a muffled cry. Even from this distance, she could see his body contorting and twisting. Some of the hunters near him gave him wide-eyed stares.

A shift? Why would he...

Though unsure as to what, she knew something was wrong. Time was of the essence. Kali followed Holin’s example and closed her eyes. She found that part of herself that was always locked away. Taking a breath, she embraced it.

She could feel the pull of the behemoth, calling to her. More than that, the pull seemed to change in strength, fluctuating. A shiver ran through her as her eyes flew open, her vision tinted red.

Time slowed down as her Aspect asserted itself. The screams and shouts from the other hunters seemed low and stretched out. With a movement lasted longer than it should she lowered her face to the bow and sighted down the beast.

Kali saw Rhone next to the beast, his spear launching towards its knee. She saw the behemoth’s hand close in on a huntress. It seemed so slow, as if all she had to do was call out a warning. But she knew the sound would never leave her mouth in time.

She took aim as the behemoth’s fingers closed its grip. Small minute adjustments to her targeting were made quickly as her mind became burdened by her perception. She released the air in her lungs and, in that short moment between breaths, pulled on the trigger.

The string sprang back, pushing the bolt forwards. It wobbled slightly in the air as it flew, straight to the jugular of the behemoth.

The strain became too strong. Kali broke out of the trance, the world speeding up before her eyes. The beast’s pull faded, and the red tint to her vision disappeared. Sounds accelerated and came rushing at her.

The huntress screamed as she was crushed, Rhone’s spear stabbed into the creature’s knee, and the bolt burrowed into its neck. The beast reeled, the binding on its jaw drawing tight. With a heavy thud, it was sent to the ground, gurgling blood.

It wouldn’t stay down, she knew. But it was enough of a distraction for Holin to finish his Aspectshift.

A blur sped through the air, landing on the behemoth with all the wrath of a vengeful spirit. It tore into the beast with a blade of steel. It slashed, again and again, new streaks of blood joining the old ones in the air before they fell to the ground.

The behemoth’s cry was mangled through its broken throat as it swiped at form attacking it. The shape leapt back through the air and landed nimbly on its feet. The small moment of immobility afforded her a good look at Holin.

His skin was wrinkled where it showed. His ears were pointed and stuck out past his head. His face elongated and ending in teeth too long to be human. His eyes glowed, no longer the pale red they were but a shining crimson.

The moment passed, and Holin sped back into the fray. Kali ignored the pressure in her head and began the process of reloading. Her mind turned back to the strange pull of the behemoth, changing in strength. Almost as if...

Far and near…

Kali’s hand halted, still in the middle of turning the crank on the massive crossbow. She looked up, and her eyes quickly found Holin, realising why they needed to end this quickly. 

With a renewed effort, she turned the crank as quickly as she could. Her arms strained for the last turn before the string locked with a click. She loaded another bolt and raised the bow.

Holin moved around the behemoth, drawing blood with each step. Where Rhone’s movements were carefully planned and controlled, his was wild and relied solely on his Aspect-enhanced physique. Between the two of them, they occupied most of the creature’s attention, giving the other hunters a chance to attack.

She turned her focus to Adler and Red. They were at the back of the beast working their way through one of its legs. Red stuck at the beast’s leg, using all of his considerable strength to drive the axe blade into the flesh at an angle. The creature lashed out trying to kick him away, but he moved away in time. With another shout, he struck out again, his bardiche cleaving a wedge of skin and muscle from the limb.

The beast spun, but the chain between its jaw and foot hampered the movement enough to give the big man time to retreat. Adler moved in as it swiped at Red’s retreating form. The inscription on his blade glowed as he cut deep into the wound Red had created.

The behemoth’s maw opened wide as it bit towards Adler. He leapt to the side, but she saw he wasn’t going to make it. Kali steeled herself and invoked her Aspect once more. Time slowed to a crawl. She took aim, her arms moving in agonising slowness as the beast’s maw closed the distance to Adler. As soon as the shot lined up, she pulled the trigger.

The bolt sailed through the air and hit the beast on the cheek, the strength behind the oversized projectile enough to alter its course. Only a bit, but it was enough. Its jaws snapped shut next to Adler, and the man hastily backpedalled.

She released the Aspect. The red tint to her vision faded, and she winced at the pain. Her vision swam. Her head felt like it was spinning.

Human perception was not meant to be pushed that far. Already she nearing her limit.

She saw one of the huntresses take the opening she had created. Though in her current state, she couldn’t see who. The woman slashed down with the halberd in her hands, chopping into the beasts face.

Kali grit her teeth and wound back the crossbow once more. It was a struggle with the hammering in her skull. She didn’t even dare to activate the inscription on the mechanism to alleviate the strain. With great effort and a final turn, she heard the string lock.

She panted as she loaded another bolt. Placing the bow against her shoulder, she waited for her head to clear enough to aim.

She saw Holin had somehow made his way on top of the beast. His sword was driven into its back, and he seemed to be pushing it deeper. The behemoth gave a gurgling scream and shook its back violently. Holin was thrown off, landing on the ground and rolling a few feet. How he kept hold of the sword was beyond her.

The beast turned its hateful gaze on Holin, who was rising to his feet. Four eyes focused on him, two having been taken out during the battle. The beast raised an arm. Left with no other options, she reached ffor her Aspect again. She lined up the shot through gritted teeth as the arm swung down in slow motion.

The bolt flew into its face, missing an eye by a finger’s width. It jerked its head to the side, the motion causing its strike to miss. The fist pummeled the ground next to Holin. The sheer shockwave of the blow sent him down again.

Her Aspect released all too quickly. In its place, her mind felt like it was going to burst. Blood trickled from her nose, running across her mouth. The bow slipped from her grasp and fell with a thud. She steadied herself on the ground before she could join it.

She saw the beast pull back its arm again. It ignored the wounds Rhone and the other hunters gave it as it struck towards Holin. She wanted to act but could only watch as the hand swiped towards him.

A giant pushed its way in front of Holin. Even in her current state, she could recognise Red. His eyes glowed crimson, his already massive body pushed to ridiculous proportions. His muscles bulged under his armour as he swung his axe to meet the beast’s hand. For a moment Kali saw the inscriptions on his breastplate glow before the hand covered him up.

A loud clash, then Red and two of the creature’s severed fingers flew through the air. He struck the ground with a crash and tumbled before finally coming to a stop, unmoving.

Red!

Kali struggled to her feet as the beast recoiled. She clutched the crossbow in her hand and stumbled as quickly as she could to where Red had fallen. She reached him just as he began to move. Relief flooded her as his hands clawed weakly at the straps of the breastplate. The entire thing was caved in.

Hurriedly she drew the knife at her side, almost fumbling it as she dropped down beside him. She sliced through the straps and ripped the breastplate off. Red drew in a ragged breath as the metal was removed. He rolled to his side and coughed, a few drops of blood falling through his visor and on to the ground.

She felt someone kneeling down next to her. She looked up and recognised Jerrick as he looked Red over. He pressed onto the man’s chest, causing him to groan in pain. Red’s breath was coming in short intakes.

“Take a deep breath,” Jerrick said. Red tried and winched.

“Broken ribs definitely. If he keeps coughing up blood he might have a punctured lung,” Jerrick said and shook his head. “Fuck knows how you survived that-”

Kali reeled back as something crashed down beside them. She looked over to see a hunter’s bloodied corpse. His torso was crushed and his eyes open, frozen in death.

“Got to help them,” Jerrick said as he looked back at the fight raging on a short distance away.

He turned towards her, “How are you looking?”

She shook her head. “I’m out for a while. I’ll be back in soon.”

“Don’t overdo it. You did enough. If you want to help, grab Red’s legs and pull him to the trees.”


Jerrick rose to his feet and dashed towards the fray, partisan in hand. The beast seemed to have finally ripped the binding free from its foot, which was now a mess of torn flesh. The chain and spike swung from its jaw as it swiped and snapped at the hunters surroundings it. Even with its new freedom, its movements were slow. The ground beneath it was red with blood. Even the behemoth's massive strength seemed to have limits.

Holin, still shifted, was harassing the creature's side. He jumped in and out as he slashed at the beast. It tried to retaliate, but he always seemed to know where the attack was coming from.

The other hunters gave him a wide berth. Jerrick was half surprised they hadn’t abandoned the fight completely, given the southerners’ superstitions.

Past the beast’s limbs, he could just make out Meera and Alder along with several other hunters. They seemed to be targeting one of its legs. The limb was covered in blood. At the back of its knee, pieces of flesh had been hacked out.

As he neared, he saw Adler dart in as the creature tried to pursue Holin. Jerrick saw him cut into the open wound, the inscribed blade slicing deep. The leg gave out underneath the behemoth, and it sank down.

The young noble hunter took the chance and leapt forward. He drove his long spear into the neck of the beast, now in range. Meera and the huntress leading the third team followed, inflicting as much damage as they could before pulling back to avoid the creature’s swipe.

Jerrick resisted the urge to shift into his Aspect. He had seen what regular use of it did to a man. He reached instead for the pouch at his side and pulled out his last vial of Corrosion.

Should have bought more.

He uncorked the vial and poured half of the contents onto the blade of his polearm. He ran forward, throwing the bottle as he drew nearer. It hit the beasts face and shattered. The liquid eating into it’s already ruined visage. It pulled its head up, giving him a good opening of its neck.

He charged, his partisan held in front of him. A drop of the Corrosion flew from the tip to splash onto his hand. He grit his teeth against the pain. Reaching the beast, he thrust upwards. The partisan shot forward and sank into the neck, right below Kali’s bolt. He ripped out the weapon, blood bubbling from the wound.

So close to the beast, the alchemical stench of the Corrosion mixed with that of its dissolving flesh was overwhelming. Jerrick had to suppress a gag.

He leapt back to retreat when an earsplitting screech echoed through his head. It rammed against his mind and dug inside. He stumbled as the pain closed around him. He shook his head, blinking away the tears from his eyes as he looked up.

A massive shadow fell over him as the behemoth’s hand descended. He reached for his Aspect desperately, but he knew it was too late.


Holin fell back as the pull spiked. He could suddenly feel the beasts in the surrounding forest. He could sense them as if they were a part of him. They were hungry. And so was he. So much food in front of him. All he had to do was sink his teeth…

With a massive effort, Holin shoved away the shared state of being that intruded on his mind. He locked it away, his Aspect sinking into slumber. His bones snapped, his fingers twisting in unnatural proportions. Blood streamed out of his mouth as his face reset itself, his teeth pulling back into his jaws.

He gasped for breath as the shift ended. He was kneeling on the ground his sword at his side. He could still feel the newly forming horde. A subtle presence at the back of his mind.

They were too late.

He looked up at the behemoth. It was on its last legs, as it were. It could barely keep itself upright, covered in gaping wounds. The arrows, bolt, harpoons and spears stuck out of it like branches from a tree.

He reached out and closed his fingers on the sword. He didn't know how the horde had formed so fast. Even with two catalyst-beasts, it seemed to soon. At least they could still take out the behemoth in front of them if they were quick about it.

As he stood up, he saw a vial crash against the beast’s face. It lifted tilted its head but stayed silent. Perhaps the previous dose had already eaten most of the nerves away.

Holin saw Jerrick charge in, his spear held close. He reached the beast and thrust forward in perfect form. Holin grinned and prepared to support him.

A new sound entered his ears. Skin against air. The flapping of wings. He looked up to see a swarm of forms appearing above the treetops, flying overhead. His eyes widened in shock.

Holin reached out with his will and pushed it into the amulet the hung against his skin beneath his armour. The air stilled around him, the clamour fading to near silence. A faint screech piecing the still air confirmed his suspicions.

Khatri.

He fucking hated Khatri. He looked down to see several of the hunters fall to the ground. Only the most experienced of the lot caught themselves in time.

Holin saw the behemoth raise an arm. His eyes followed its trajectory and found Jerrick stumbling back. A cold feeling gripped him as the fist descended. Holin ran but barely made it two steps before the creature’s fist came down. He watched as Jerrick was crushed under the blow.

Holin faltered, and his concentration broke. The sounds rushed back around him as the inscription stopped its work.

A roar came from the forest, just beyond view. The other behemoth was here. It apeared through the foliage, its massive form pushing the smaller trees to the ground.

“There’s another one!” One of the hunter’s screamed.

“Back!” Came Rhone’s shout. “Back to the city!”

The order snapped many of the hunters to their senses. The noble was the first to run, followed quickly by others. The first behemoth, barely hanging on as it was, was too wounded to pursue.

“Stick together!” Rhone shouted as he backed away. The beasts in the surroundings were keeping their distance for now. Mostly out of lingering fear of the behemoth, but they would attack as soon as it wore off.

Holin joined up with Rhone and the remaining hunters. They set off at a fast jog towards the treeline.

He saw Kali standing over a crouching Red a short distance away, crossbow in hand. Another woman stood nearby, armed with a glaive.

“There,” He said and pointed towards them.

“We make for the city,” said Rhone as he set the pace towards Kali. “Bowmen to the centre. Keep an eye out for beasts, the horde has formed and they’ll soon be swarming this way.”

“Where’s Jerrick?” A voice asked.

Holin turned to see Meera keeping pace beside him.

“He’s dead.”

She cursed. Holin felt the same but kept his silence. He could still feel the presence of the horde in the back of his mind as he knew the other Order members did as well. More pressingly, he could vaguely make out a part of that presence between them and Riversedge. There’d be a time to grieve later, but not now.

A loud crash came from behind them.Holin turned to see the second behemoth emerge into the clearing. A swarm of things passed overhead, casting them in shadow. Holin pushed his will into the amulet around his neck and prepared himself for a long fight back to the city.

Gods damned Khatri.

0