Chapter 2: Unseen Entities
275 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking at whatever was in front of me, I couldn’t help but feel my legs start to fail me. I fell to my knees, unable to stand due to how scary the beings were. I mean, come on, that sleeping thing, probably some kind of Eldritch horror. That Japanese looking couple, one of them has a weapon, and the other one probably doesn’t even have skin! Let’s not get started on the woman who looks like the literal embodiment of chaos.

“Uh… Evelyn? You alright there?”

Oh, and the one who just spoke to me. The literal cloak with a huge ass scythe. If that isn’t the Grim Reaper, then who is?!

The Old Man, almost as if he were reading my mind, looked at me. “Good observation child, that is in fact the Grim Reaper, or Azrael, or Thanatos, or whatever form of Death you believe in, but feel to call her Mori, as you usually do.”

“Wait, Sam, I thought we were going to keep that a secret!”

“There is no such need to do that, as it is clear she is distressed, and I’m sure a familiar fa-”

Suddenly, the demon interrupted the Old Man.

“Puhaha! Ya know G, I doubt that’d make things better. Sure it’d be funny, but for her, it might crush her whole perspective on reality, ya know. After all, finding out a classmate of yours is literally Death would surely make someone’s brain go haywire.”

“Hmm… if you say so, son.”

“Ew, like I said, stop calling me that.”

The dryad decided to speak up to interrupt the two, “Before you two decide to get in yet another one of your father-son moments, I say we should introduce ourselves, starting from Sam, then ending with Grim.”

The woman whose entire body was in a state of constant universal creation and destruction stopped her thoughtful state, “I am Chaos. The one from Greek mythology. Now then, I’m going back to watching the guy I blessed and cursed with extreme luck. He’s currently being confronted with his hot rich Russian girlfriend who just found out he killed a man, even though the dead body was actually from another world, and the guy just happened to have a sword with blood in hand, which is a prop in a play.” After that, she went back to her listless state.

“Or we could go out of order, that’s fine.”

“It is safe to assume that we are free to interrupt, yes?”

“Well, considering everyone’s favourite Lady Luck did, I’d say we can.”

“Well then, me and my former partne-”

“I don’t need you to talk for me, you idi-”

“Quiet, I am just trying to be polite he-”

“Pfft… and shutting me up is being po-”

“Well, considering the ru-”

Suddenly, the two started bickering back and forth, with no telling to it stopping. The cloaked figure decided to do their introductions.

“Those two are Izanagi and Izanami, of Shinto fame. If you can’t tell, the guy with the spear is Izanagi, and the one burnt all over is Izanami. While I’m at it, I might as well introduce the sleeping one and the mute one.”

The cloaked figure pointed at the sleeping figure. “That’s Azathoth. Try not to wake them. Well, not like any of us can.”

They then pointed at the man with golden hair and skin. “And that’s The Sandman. He can’t really talk since this isn’t the Dream Realm and all. His hold on reality is fragile due to his nature.”

“With the current situation, I believe it would best if you were the one to do the introductions, Grim.”

“Then I guess I will. The dryad who said I should introduce us all, who’s all responsible and stable,” the Grim Reaper pointed towards the dryad, “That’s Yggdrasil.”

She gave a friendly wave, “Hello there Evelyn, I hope to get to know you more, and vice versa.”

“Now then, that Old Man and the demon over there, they’re more or less God and the Devil.”

The Old Man gave a smile, “Greetings child, let us hope that your ascendance to Cosmic level will bring great fortune for us all and the denizens of Earth too.”

“Haa… still going on with that goody two shoes shit, huh Old Man. Well, whatever. Now kiddo, before you decide to call me Satan or Lucifer or some random ass demon name, I’m not them. I’m The Devil. Like this Old Man here, I don’t have a true name to go by, and also, I’d rather not share a name with those weak punks. However, if you want to call us by something, call me Daniel and the old geezer Samuel.”

“The bright guy over there, that’s Ra, the Egyptian God of the Sun.”

“Hmph. I’ll have you know that if you were a proper subject of my kingdom, you would be punished for blasphemy. After all, I am much more than just a sun deity. However, although the whole story about me creating the universe may indeed be false, I did bring about the Sun and the stars that cover our skies and the ever expansion of space.”

“Yeah yeah, now then, who’s left.” Death decided to look at the two she didn’t introduce, the pirate and the fairy. “Haa… the fairy then, that’s Titania, the Fairy Queen.”

“Hehe. Why yes, it is indeed me, Titania, the Fairy Queen! Sure, Titania isn’t my true name, but I like it. Now then, after this, you want to come to the Forest of the Fairies and play some games? I know that the fairy inside you is curious about that. Or rather, that Archfey in you.”

“And last but not least, since you already know I’m the Grim Reaper, is that pirate over there. Just call her Kendra. Guess that’s all then.”

“Wait, wait! Don’t I get a proper introduction?!”

“Fine then. She’s the Kraken.”

Wait a minute, isn’t the Kraken a giant squid thing?

“That is its true form, child. However, due to some circumstances, her ascendance to Cosmic level was required to ensure the safety of all.”

“Long story short, kiddo, little ol Ken there was still a monster at the level of a God, so we hoped that forcefully making her a Cosmic Entity would more or less give her at least some level of intelligence. It worked. Barely though.”

“What do you mean barely?! I think in my current form I’m pretty smart, ya know.”

“Explain you accidentally destroying your house all the time then.”

“Uh… gamer salt.”

“...”

Suddenly, there was an awkward silence.

Seriously, how did I get here? Is this a dream? Or am I dead?

So. About me being inconsistent with releases. In all honesty, I didn't want to release a chapter at this time on this day, but with the whole corona stuff going on, I'm now on what I'd like to call 'Extended Home Study'. So here's a chapter. A side chapter that uses the word roundtable in every sentence will come soon too, for those who aren't sure what is in this white void besides this mishmash of mythological deities plus Kendra.

You might have realised this chapter is in the first person, which is unlike the previous two. Just pretend it symbolises the true start of the story since we're now in Evelyn's shoes. Yeah, let's go with that.

On an unrelated note, I've just realised my cover for this story is just grapes. At first, I figured it could represent Evelyn's splitting from her avatars, but the more I thought about it, the dumber I realized it was. Too bad I have no idea what to use instead. Might change it to an axe, or a greyed out King Dedede, or a quill pen, or whatever I can find on my computer.

8