Chapter 15: Beautiful Dead
105 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few days have passed since the fight against Susanoo happened, and the ruin he left behind has more or less been fixed. Thanks to the help of Izanagi, who had recovered quite quickly from the spear wound, the entire neighbourhood was rebuilt. After finishing the repairs to the area, he left with Susanoo in tow, saying he would enact punishment on him. I’ve spent the last few days relaxing, training with the avatars I’ve gotten back and seeing what abilities I could borrow from them, as I was winging it in my fight against Susanoo and was lucky that it all worked. Fortunately, most of the stuff I could copy was the same as before, so it didn’t take long for me to get used to using them. What did feel different was the power behind the copied abilities. For example, back then, when I copied Mara’s abilities, I could only do it during the night or when it was very dark. However, now I can use it any time, and I can also make my surroundings dark. 

After a long week of nonstop action, I finally could relax in my room, eat some ice cream, and have a good night's sleep.

“You say you were training, but it was more like you were playing around with them. Especially with May.”

“S-shut it! Also, that’s my ice cream!” I quickly took the spoon Mori was holding and ate whatever ice cream was on it. Right now, we’re both sitting on my bed, eating some snacks I brought in. “By the way, why are you in here?”

“To sleep.”

“Why here?”

“Your noisy children didn’t allow me to take the couch. They wanted to hold a sleepover between them all in the living room, so they all just pushed me in here.”

“Why didn’t you just go home then?!”

“Too far,” She snatched the spoon back and had another scoop of ice cream before laying it down and lying on the bed, “Plus, I like it here. Nice and cosy.” 

A few minutes passed, with both of us saying nothing.

“It sure has been a busy week, huh Mori.”

“Yes, it has been.”

“Oh yeah, I’ve wanted to ask, but did I miss anything at school while I was in that coma?”

“Nope. Nothing special. Although you’re number one spot on the power ranking is gone, though. Oh yeah, there was also that matter about one of the teachers leaving.”

“Who left?”

“Mr Barrow.”

“Thank goodness, didn’t like that man.”

“Yeah, not only was he a creep, but he also failed to teach the correct things.”

“Don’t you fail most tests, Mori? How do you know he was wrong?”

“Me failing was an act, Eve. Remember, I’m the Grim Reaper. I know a lot of things.”

“You sure you’re not an idiot? I heard Thanatos was an idiot.”

“And I keep telling you it’s an act!”

“I know, I know, I’m just teasing you.”

“Is this for that honey thing from a few days ago?”

“Yep.”

“You sure don’t forget things.”

“Yeah, I don’t.”

More minutes passed, with more silence.

“Hey, Eve. I’m sorry.”

“Sorry for what?”

“For not being able to help, you know. I couldn’t help when we were at the Roundtable, I couldn’t help when we went to the Dreamrealm, and I couldn’t help with Susanoo. Hell, I couldn’t even help before you went into a coma or during it.”

“Well… you had reasons, didn’t you? I mean, no one knew I was going on that subjugation, you couldn’t do much in the Drearealm, and you didn’t want to cause the death of either Sam or Susan0o. There’s nothing to feel sorry for in those situations. As for the Roundtable, they’re all weirdos, aren’t they?”

“But still, even if I had a reason, I still didn’t help.”

“And I’m saying it’s alright. Everything worked out, didn’t it?”

“Yeah, bu-”

“No buts. But if you do want to do something, then here,” I opened my arms towards Mori, “Hug me. I’m sure it’ll make us both feel better.”

“Fine.” 

We both sat there, hugging each other in utter silence.

“For someone that’s been around for all of the time, you’re surprisingly human, Mori.”

“For someone that’s been around for a short time, you’re surprisingly motherly Eve.”

“S-shut it!” I let go of her. “It wasn’t my idea to act like a mother for them! Let’s go to sleep already!” I laid down on my bed, covering myself with my blanket.

Mori slowly got inside the bed, under the same blanket, “Thanks for the indirect kiss with the spoon Eve.”

“E-eh?! I di- we wha- hold up. Since when did you care about things like that?!”

“Who knows when? Maybe Death is a believer of indirect kisses and good luck charms.”

“S-shut up and go to sleep already!”

“Aye aye, captain.” 

After a few minutes of silence.

“By the way, Eve.”

“What, Mori?”

“Welcome back.”

“Yeah, thanks. I’m back.”

With that, we went to sleep. That night I had a nice and peaceful dream.


Meanwhile, in the living room.

“HAHAHAHA!!! DIE ZOMBIE SCUM!!! YOU ARE NOTHING COMPARED TO UNDEAD I SAW IN THE OTHER WORLD!!!”

“Careful A-Chan! There’s more behind you!”

“Ko-chan, Ko-chan! Help, there’s more coming!”

“Hmm… zombie on zombie action… interesting.”

“Zzzzzzz.”

"Combat with a zombie could be interesting. However, I would not risk becoming infected. Hmm..."

“Ahaha! Look at these kids! Although that lovey-dovey couple should hurry up and die.”

The sounds of five avatars, one Goddess and a drunkard, could be heard through the night.

Here's a new chapter. Who's the drunkard? Why is the Ko-chan/A-chan duo still here? Why is Mara so heated about this zombie game? Why is Mori's nickname Mori? Find out next time. Probably. Well, I'll answer the last one. Mori made her name Morrigan. You'll probably never find this out in the actual story since she'll only be referred to as Mori, Death, Grim Reaper, Cloaked One, Scythe Girl or some other weird, death-related nickname I can come up with.

So we got an actual Slice of Life chapter for once. I wasn't planning on doing that since I wanted to get right into the whole Ares wages war thing, but my mind took a different way, I guess. It's for the better. This story has been lacking in the Slice of Life part, huh.

And for today's third paragraph, I've decided to talk about the chapter names. No, not how they're all song names, but rather, they sound a bit too cool for my story. I read through my story, then looked at my table of contents and saw that the chapter names are a bit too cool. Oh well, they're more or less set in stone. Also, what's the deal with people hearting Enter Sandman? I'd understand if my prologue or the Roundtable chapters had the most hearts, but it's Enter Sandman. Someone, please tell me why.

4