Chapter 17: Sweet Dreams
97 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A green meadow with a tiny hill and a singular tree on top. Peace. “How awfully cliche Sharpshooter.” I laid below the tree, wearing my old suit and top hat, with my sniper rifle lying next to me. “Also, this is a dream. Why not wear something different?” I sat up and looked at some weirdo dressed up as a vigilante into bondage. The hat was familiar, however. Too familiar.

“Same could be said about you, Nightmare. I’m only wearing this here since it’s the only time I can wear such things. Suits are expensive after all.”

“Weren’t those clothes of ours brought to the world along with us?”

“They also go through some wear and tear.”

“So your dream is to sleep in your old outfit?”

“Basically put. Although now and then, I do like swimming in gold coins.” Sleep and money guarantee some level of happiness, after all. “So what brings you here?”

“Was told to tell you that Evelyn needs you.”

“Not interested.”

“Why so?”

“Not a contract. It’s hard getting a job when you’re a contract killer, and I’m not in the mood to do a freebie, even if it’s for my creator.”

“Hee… so you’re a money-grubber.”

“And you’re a sadist.”

“No, I’m not. Also, you can’t say that miss ‘Smile Before A Headshot’.”

“I’ve talked with Sandman.”

“That’s not me being sadistic. I just like teasing him.” Nightmare decided to sit next to me.

“Surprised Evelyn got you before the rest of us.”

“Yeah, it turns out she’s friends with Sandman. By the way, it’s Phoebe.”

“A name. That’s new.”

“Yeah. I don’t know why, but Evelyn hasn’t put us back into the Soul home thingy. In fact, it’s almost like she cares now.”

“That’s interesting. But not enough to have me go back to her.”

“Huh, I see.”

“Thought you would argue or something.”

“Well, sure, she’s nice, but thinking about it, I really have no reason to help her.”

“So why are you here?”

“Avatar compliance.”

“Ahh… I see.”

“Ya see, I was very lonely here. Besides other avatars and Dusty, people instantly go into a state of complete fear whenever I’m around. I thought I would be able to escape by becoming Evelyn’s avatar, but as it turns out, I’m stuck here forever. Sucks, huh?” Nightmare began sinking her head into her knees.

“That… certainly sucks.”

Nightmare jumped up, “But that’s all in the past. At least I got to speak to Dusty and hear his voice. Too bad it ain’t a cute girl’s voice. So anyway, Evelyn is hoping to meet you. Tell me a place and a time if you want.”

“Hmm… I could go negotiate. Tomorrow, 3 pm. I’ll come to them.”

“Got it. Now, time to go back to Operation: Double Sand Dunes.” With that, Nightmare disappeared. It looks like I’ve got a meeting tomorrow, but for now, a peaceful dream.


Right now, I’m playing a four-player game with May, Mara and Mori. May and I are already out, and Mara and Mori are getting really into it. The married couple moved to their own room, Sam is currently swinging her sword outside with Elizabeth watching her, and Chaos is still drinking.

“Hey, mom, there’s someone in the kitchen.”

“Huh. Guess it really is impossible to sneak up on you, Assassin.” A girl wearing a ragged cloak over herself and a worn-out tophat came out of the kitchen and stood next to us besides the couch.

“Well yeah. I’m the master of stealth. Also, you stink.”

“Sorry about that. When you’re busy moving from place to place for contracts, you tend to forget about the little things.”

“W-what? Who are you?”

“Don’t tell me you forgot our meeting.”

“Hey May, what time is it?”

“It’s 3 pm.”

“Oh. Time sure flies by fast. By the way, how did you get in here?” The Sharpshooter pointed at the hole in the roof Susanoo left when he came here. “Oh, that’s still here. I thought it was patched up.”

“Yeah, it was patched up.”

“What does that mean, Chaos?”

“Well, you see, I threw up an empty bottle last night, which caused a huge chain reaction, and boom, your roof was gone. Don’t worry though, I replaced it using Illusion Magic. Well, there was Illusion Magic.”

“Haa… anyway, as for you, Sharpshooter. Let me just name you, fill you in on the details, then we can go ahead with business.”

“Name me? Hmm… so that’s how you do it. Unfortunately, I am not here for that.”

“What?”

“I am here to negotiate. I sense this could be a very worthwhile contract. I do not fancy the idea of being your slave again after all. Even though Nightmare said it isn't like before, I still do not want a part of it again.”

“B-bu-”

“I don’t care what you have to say. Fill me in with why you wanted me. Then we’ll make an agreement. After that, we’ll go our merry ways.” The Sharpshooter looked around the living room, looking at each individual. “I would like this to be a private discussion.”

“Then to my room, I guess.” We moved to my room.


I explained the whole situation to Sharpshooter.

“Hmm… I see. The target is Ares, a God of War. Although I dislike our chances, depending on how much you’ll offer, I might help.”

“I don’t have much to offer.” Oh man, what should I do? 

“That’s where I come in, Eve.” Mori appeared floating above my bed in her full Grim Reaper outfit.

“The Grim Reaper? First, I learn you’re friends with the Sandman, and now the Grim Reaper. Interesting, Evelyn. So, I assume you’re offering payment in her place, Death.”

“Yes. I offer you my blind eye.”

“Ah, I see. Effectively making me immortal.” Sharpshooter stood there, pondering to herself. She reached out her hand to me, “Got it, you have yourself a deal, Evelyn. Now then, can I borrow your shower?”

“Uh… sure.” Sharpshooter left. “Hey Mori, are you allowed to do that?”

“Yeah. Even though I said I’d turn a blind eye, at the end of the day, she’ll die should she decide not to become your avatar. Even if Death herself has a blind eye, the End will always come.”

“T-that’s foreboding. So why did you do that?”

“Well, I still feel bad about not helping, so I figured this could help, right?”

“Yeah, you helped me. Although, I’m worried over how I’ll make her my avatar again.”

“Maybe they have dreams you could help them achieve.”

“I wonder if I could do that.”

Another chapter. Kind of running out of ideas for these Author's Notes.

As you have read, Nightmare has returned. If there's one part of the story I'm annoyed about, it's that I've been letting Evelyn gather some avatars a bit too easily. As you can tell, I've definitely changed it right now. As for Nightmare, I always thought that I did her no justice, really. I'm going to try to fix that, since in reality, the ending to her 'fight' didn't really do anything for anyone besides Evelyn getting a new avatar. Well, there's a lot of things I have a problem with the story after reading over it, but I'll try to fix them at my own pace.

Oh yeah, I said a couple of chapters back releases would slow down since I would do assignments, but those due dates got pushed back. So I guess I'm back. Not for long, though, since I actually really need to do them. If my releases slow down, just assume I'm doing my assignment work.

2