Chapter 20: Tribulations From An Insane Jester
46 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was the day to fight the war with Ares. Our strategy was straightforward. Overwhelm Ares’ army with overwhelming firepower. My avatars were essentially Gods, and Chaos was in doubt about Ares having Divine allies in our war. 

Sam and I would be at the front lines, mowing down Ares’ forces with our swordplay. Meanwhile, Sharpshooter would snipe from behind us, hopefully taking out Ares with some special bullets she had reserved for such a target. Kageko and Mara would be their typical sneaky selves, causing mayhem in the enemy’s backlines. 

Due to some rules surrounding Cosmic Entities, Chaos and Mori could only help indirectly, with Chaos tipping luck just ever so likely in our favour and Mori giving Sam and me a deathly aura that’d scare anyone that approached us. May and Amaterasu, who was very adamant about helping us in this fight, were relegated to mostly observation in the war, only using their magic to take out the occasional foe. However, should things go south, May would let out a nuke spell she knew, and as an even further last resort, Amaterasu would cause a supernova. 

A bit overkill, but you never know. If somehow all that failed, however, we still had a backup plan. Elizabeth was to activate this complex magic circle thing Mara conjured up, which would pull everyone on the battlefield into the Dreamrealm, and from there, we would let Phoebe run wild. As it turns out, Sharpshooter is quite sharp at strategy too, having come up with all this in a single day after learning which avatars I had access to.

We gathered our things and were prepared to leave before we heard a thud from the kitchen. We looked in that direction and saw the body of Ares minus his head on the ground, and lying next to it Marx, albeit with slightly more dishevelled hair than last time I saw her.

Before we could react to this new development, we heard slow clapping from the living room couch. We all looked and saw another Marx, this one with perfectly straight, almost robotic hair, sitting down on our couch and looking away from us. “As elegant as ever, Marx.”

She stood up and faced us, “Hello there. I’m Marx. For the remainder of my stay, you may not speak. I do not like interruptions. In addition, you may not move. I know some of you are more than willing to shut down adversaries when they are speaking.” She glared at both Sharpshooter and Mara, who were somehow chained up.

“As you can see,” She pointed at Ares’ beheaded body, “Your current foe, Ares, has deceased. That is because of a bumbling fool of a rogue Marx clone that you guys had met yesterday. She got bored of the idea of waiting for you to defeat Ares, and so did it herself so she could fast forward her limelight moment.”

She walked over to the laid down Marx. “I will be gifting this Marx clone to you. As both compensation for the rogue clone causing you some trouble and a start to a relationship with you. Through her, I shall relay to you information about neutral Avatars that have yet to choose a side and how you could potentially win them over. Unlike the Roundtable, I am both unbound by rules and in the know with Avatar nature. I’m also more trustworthy than half of them.” She glared at Chaos.

“I hope to be on good terms. I wish to be on the winning side, and since Demon made me and the clones be her entire Intelligence unit, a wildly stupid move, I am more than willing to side with you, who will most likely defeat her idiotic Avatar hangout. If you are confused, ask Sam. She is a traitor, after all.” She looked at Sam, who had a look of horror on her face. “Do not worry, Samurai. I do not care enough to hand you back to Demon.” 

She offered her hand towards me before quickly pulling it back. “This is a deal you cannot decline. I was about to shake your hand, but then I remembered I despise you.”

“If you are wondering what Avatar I am… I would say we are The Remnant, not that anyone else knows that. I will not explain any further.” She started walking towards the door. “By the way, feel free to kill the rogue clone. I have no use for her.”

We stood there, watching her walk out. Sam had a very conflicted look on her face. Chaos was looking at Ares’ body with a blank face. The rest of us were looking at the door the cold Marx just exited through. 

“So… uh… don’t you guys have a fight to go to?” We all looked at the voice and saw the dishevelled Marx straightening out her suit, doing a sloppy job with her tie. “I think you guys should go deal with her… cause… uh… she’d probably go wild. She was one of the wilder Marx clones, after all.”

“Let’s go do that then. We can discuss stuff after it.”


“About time. I was getting fucking bored.” 

We arrived at the battlefield, which was abandoned entirely, with only Marx in the middle. Compared to the dishevelled hair of the Marx we had, or the robotic hair the other Marx had, this Marx had very wild hair, with a bit of red at the tip of her hair. “Ooh… you have clumsy there. Now you know we’re clones. You know, this whole clone thing reminded me of you, Evelyn. We’re basically clones, but not. Which is why I hate the clones. I also hate you. Those two hatreds aren’t related, but whatever. I hate you.”

She looked at Sam. “I hate traitors. Traitors like you, Sam. Betrayal hurts, and you know it. Why’d ya had to do it to me, man? Also, your sword is stupid, fucking weeb.”

She looked at Mara. “Speaking of traitors, fuck you, you binch. Fucking binch ass motherfucker. You binch, you absolute fucking binch. Asshole sucking binch. Uh… I’d use other profanities, but I can’t think of them. You binch. I did say I’d swear at you a lot. Binch. I hate you, binch.”

She looked at Sharpshooter. “You haven’t answered my DMs about a job, and for that, you will die. Nothing personal. I just don’t like being ignored. Wait… okay, maybe it is personal.”

She looked at Kageko. “Congrats on your marriage. Uh… I’ll just pretend I hate happy couples or some shit.”

She looked at everyone she hasn’t commented on. “I can’t be bothered to go on about the rest of you. Too much of a fucking hassle, and I’m slowly losing the rage I was hoping to use as a crutch in our fight. Can we ju-”

Immediately, Mara jumped out of Marx’s shadow and backstabbed her, instantly bringing Marx to her knees. “That’s for swearing at me and beating me at Uno. Ya binch! I’m not going to lie, I’ve been waiting to backstab someone. Don’t worry mom, she’s not dead. I hit her with a magic dagger. Maaagic.”

Well… that was anti-climatic.

I'm starting to think I like anti-climatic endings. I also think I might do shorter Author Notes from now on. I don't actually have much to say in these nowadays, so don't be surprised if there is none on some chapters. That and I get the urge to spoil stuff in these. I will say that these anti-climactic endings won't happen anymore. Probably. Also, just remembered about the Strong Language warning. Might as well use it.

2