Ch.6
993 5 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6

Symbols

 

I woke up in the morning, holding the teddy bear in my arms. Gently pulling myself out of bed and putting on whatever dress I've got my hands on. I went to the dining room and sat down, still half asleep.

“Princess, you’re up early...” Theron places the plate in front of me.

I immediately began devouring the pancakes. By the time I finished the meal, my sleepiness had faded away.

I looked at Theron, “The food was delicious! Who prepares the food here?” I asked.

“Why thank you, Princess, I’m glad you’re pleased with my cooking.” He grinned.

“What?! You cook the food here?” I said, surprised.

“Yes, Princess, since I’m the only one around here. I do most of the work.”

Theron looked at the teddy bear that I was hugging, “Did Vasilios give you that bear?”

Half asleep to notice that I've brought the bear with me to the dining room, “Oh! I found this bear in the library, did it belong to brother’s?”

Theron nodded, “That bear was a gift from his mother before she left the palace.”

That bear must really be precious to Vasilios, maybe I should return it.

Ring ring

“His highness has woken up, I must deliver his breakfast to his room.”

“Wait, Theron,” I spoke up, “Allow me to bring brother’s breakfast to his room.”

“Princess, I shouldn’t-“

“Please...” Presenting him with a cute look.

Theron sighs, “Fine If you insist...”

I knocked on the door to let him know that I’ll be coming inside. Each piece of furniture had the color of gold and red. It seems that his choice of furniture is similar to that of his eldest brother.

Vasilios was seated on a golden rolled arm sofa, reading a book.

“Did you bring the cheesecake, Theron..!“ Vasilios looked up.

“Brother, where should I place the platter?” I asked, looking around.

“Where’s Theron? You’re not supposed to—“ Vasilios raised his voice at me.

“I wanted to! Alice wants to spend time with brother...” Cutting him off, putting on a puppy face hoping he won’t kick me out.

Vasilios furrowed his eyebrows at me,“..Set the platter here” pointing at the table.

I nodded, walking over to the table, setting the tray in front of him. He picks up the fork, eating the cheesecake first.

I hugged the teddy bear that I carried with me, “Brother, I heard from Theron that mister bear belongs to you.”

Vasilios nearly chokes on the cheesecake after hearing the last few words, “...What about it?”

“Would you want it back? I heard it was a precious gift from your mother—“

“Tsk, keep it. It’s just a worthless bear.”

“If it’s from brother, I’ll gladly cherish it!” Gleaming happily.

The table was stacked with books, several of them looking like they’re about to tip over any second. Judging by the covers, they appear to be in the category of mystery or suspense.

“Brother, you seem to enjoy reading during your free time,” I spoke out.

“...Not really.” He continued reading a book.

Feeling irritated that he wasn't delivering any effort indulging into a discussion. I can’t give up now, if he’s not going to talk then I’ll just annoy the hell out of him to at least catch his attention.

Sitting next to him on the sofa, “Brother what are you reading?”

“Cepas Goliath Gershon.”

Huh? Sweating nervously. That sounds more like someone’s name, is that really the title?

“Alice wants to read with brother! Could I read one of brother’s books?” I asked.

“Not that I care.”

Scavenging for a worthwhile book, there weren’t many that caught my attention. I picked up a book with a nice cover, but the title was just something I couldn't get ahold of.

“Brother, what do these mean?” Pointing at the symbols displayed on the cover.

“...Do you even know how to read?” He looked confused.

“Of course I do!” Responding with pride.

Vasilios took a book from the table, holding it up in front of me, “What does this say?”

I stared at the symbols with a troubled expression, “Uh..”

Vasilios sets the book back on the table, “Not only you’re useless, but you’re stupid as well.”

I curled my lips, “It’s just I haven’t been taught to read, that’s all.”

“Children would’ve been instructed to read by the age of four,” He stared at me, “Weren't you raised under a noble household?”

Nodding, “I’ve lived with the Myrilles my whole life, why do you ask?”

“They wouldn’t have a problem hiring a tutor to show you the fundamentals unless there’s something more to it.” He gave me a questioning glare, as though he suspected something was up.

I barely arrived in this world yesterday! Give me a break!

Smiling at him and tilting my head to the side appearing innocent.

A knock came from the door. The door gradually opened, revealing a tall man with chestnut hair. Thank god, Theron came in right in time! This was the second time he saved me from an unpleasant circumstance with Vasilios. Blessings to Theron!

….

The three of us went out to the open field. Theron was training Vasilios swordsmanship exercises. I was lying on the blue grass, watching Vasilios swing his sword around. I’m so glad Theron came prepared with snacks.

A couple of hours later, Vasilios was exhausted, I could see his sweat glistening under the heat. He sat beside me.

“Water...” He said, struggling to catch his own breath.

Unscrewing the lid and giving it to him, he quickly chugs it down.

“Wow, brother! You look so cool with your swordsmanship!” Praising him.

Vasilios wiped his mouth, “I still have a long way to go.”

“Brother, I wish to learn swordsmanship as well!”

He gave me a stare as he was thinking, “Hmm,”

“Theron. Give this girl your sword.”

“Yes, your highness.” Theron hesitated before issuing his sword to me.

As Theron handed me the sword, the weight quickly pulled me down to the ground, almost enough to crush my small fingers.

“Weak.” Vasilios stood up, dusting some dead grass from his pants.

Feeling tears forming in my eyes. I couldn’t bear how he constantly treated me. His unkind words were getting into my head.

Weak, useless, stupid. The pain-inducing from my fingers triggered by the weight of the sword wasn’t helping me cope with my emotions.

“Princess, are you all right?” Theron bore the weight out of my fingers until he felt a teardrop landing on his hand, ”..Princess, are you crying?”

17