Chapter 20
88 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hurt”

 

Now that the door flew off the hinges, the sound of the gunfight outside became louder. The quietness that fills the air disappeared. The chaos I hear becomes my comfort. Knowing that we’re not alone in this.

Ryan is no longer able to support himself and has to lean on me. I try my best to stay strong and not fall so Ryan won’t get hurt further. I stare at the needle embedded right at the centre of his body but doesn’t attempt to pull it out.

It does look like it almost punctures Ryan’s heart. Attempting to pull that thing out might make things worse than it already is so I don’t even want to try.

“Zander... W-why?” Ryan’s voice turns creaky as it takes a lot of effort for him to speak while in pain.

“I’m here to kill a bastard,” Zander, the man that kicked the door open, raises his gun towards Nana.

Nana turns to the man threatening to kill him yet he shows no emotions unlike when he stares at me passionately. He raises his gun and shoots at Zander without pausing yet the bullet misses as Zander tilts his head slightly in that short second.

Zander is about to retaliate but his gun flies out of his hand and drops to the ground. A silver needle pierces through it. The culprit frowns at Zander with obvious dislike.

“Elua,” Zander spits out the name in contempt.

“The dogs and rodents, working together?” Elua grits through the words while glaring intensely at Zander.

“I’m only working with them because the treaty was broken,” Zander responds to him fearlessly.

“What do you mean?” Elua finally creases his brows but continues to glare at Zander.

This time, Zander pulls out another gun and aims it at Nana again. “Ask him.”

Elua turns to Nana and asks without hiding his confusion. “What is he talking about, Nana?”

While they are having a chat, Ryan tells me to move to the door. I support him as we stealthily advance closer to Zander and away from Nana. Seeing as we are moving away, Nana tries to grab my hand but Zander shoots at him.

He backs away from us to avoid the shot while my eyes become wide as I search for the bullet in the direction it flew. Everyone here is avoiding bullets as if it’s nothing.

“Explain yourself!” Zander shouts.

Nana crinkles his nose since I’m no longer within his arms reach. Ryan, on the other hand, urges me to continue moving. No one stops us this time.

“There is nothing to explain,” Nana finally answered.

“The organ harvesting orphanage was yours, weren’t they?!” Zander seems to be shouting an earth-shaking revelation but Ryan is getting worse so I continue forward and trying my best not to trip.

Nana doesn’t respond while Elua wrinkles his nose as his eyes travel back and forth between Nana and Zander.

“They were on my territory!” Zander glares and aims his gun at Nana’s head. “I don’t care what illegal things you do but let me remind you, I am VERY territorial,” He growls as his eyes turn yellow.

We manage to reach Zander safely as the tension increases between the three of them. His eyes are scaring me but he’s the safest choice I can bet on right now.

“Why did you do it?” Elua questions Nana and although Nana looks reluctant, at least he still responds to Elua.

“I need those things to make these stuff you requested,”

Zander points the gun at Elua this time. “So it was on your authority? Will you make an enemy out of us?” This time Zander is no longer shouting but his eyes narrowing on Elua.

Elua clenches his fist and readjusts his standing posture. He glances at the needle embedded in the pistol then at Ryan. 

Zander turns to us to say, “Get out,”

I nod erratically and ask, “Will you be ok?”

“I won’t die before they do,” He smirks, then moves his head slightly as a signal for us to leave.

“Tsk tsk. Not so fast,” The jingle in Elua’s voice is back as his eyes land on me. His voice is playful as he says, “Before you go, return what’s mine,”

I don’t have time to understand his words when the needle in Ryan flies out at the flick of Elua’s finger. The speed causes the blood to splash onto my face as I stare in horror. The bloody needle returns to its owner in the blink of an eye.

Ryan screams in pain with his face turning red as he clenches his jaws shut. At the same time, I see black vines peeking up from his collar as if it’s climbing up his neck.

Zander takes one glance at that and pushes us out. “Go get help, NOW!” He shouts and starts shooting at those two.

Ryan starts coughing terribly. I search for the car we came with but it is no longer in the place where I last saw it. I want to move but catches a glimpse of a stray bullet flying right past us. My feet instantly plaster onto the ground.

Ryan starts staggering in my arm. He pukes out blood and the black vines appear on both his arms. The vines on his neck spread onto his jaws. I start panicking and decide it’s better to move into the bushes rather than being an easy target.

I carefully move forward while everyone is preoccupied with one another. None of them notices us since we are the only ones without any firearms.

A car screeches into the scene and Do-Hyun jumps out while shooting at the enemy. He’s wearing a bullet-proof vest much like the others, signifying them as allies. Surprisingly, the enemies aren’t wearing any but even after getting shot once or twice, they remain standing.

They continue shooting as if they can’t feel pain.

My brows unconsciously furrow while watching these crazy men thinking they are invincible.

Do-Hyun catches sight of us and carefully approaches us. He moves swiftly and occasionally returns fire at those that almost hit him. His face is devoid of expressive emotions as he remains focused. 

“Let’s get out of here,” He wastes no breath before telling us to move.

He notices that Ryan is incapacitated. He wraps Ryan's other arm around his shoulder while walking briskly to the car. I try to keep up but I can see that moving is straining Ryan.

Ryan hasn’t spoken a word since earlier which is unlike him. His breathing is heavy while the vines continue to spread around his body. It gives me an ominous feeling and those things probably shouldn’t cover his body completely.

Do-Hyun shouts instructions to the scattered allies to protect our back. They quickly move into a protective formation around us while Do-Hyun opens the backseat. He helps Ryan to lay down while telling me to get in as well.

Do-Hyun slams the door shut the moment I’m completely inside. He then shouts another set of instructions before jumping into the passenger’s seat. My eyes are completely plastered on Ryan whose face has turned pale while his lips darkened.

“Do-Hyun, something is wrong,” I start to feel flustered and call Do-Hyun to check on Ryan.

Do-Hyun turns his head to look at Ryan and his face turns grim.

“Joey, get us to the treatment centre!” 

Joey, the driver, gives a quick glance before pressing on the accelerator. The inertia almost makes me hit my head but I manage to steady myself in time. Do-Hyun curses when he sees the enemies starting to shoot at us. Do-Hyun rolls down the window and sends a few bullets flying in their direction. 

I watch as we leave the chaos behind. 

Ryan gasps and pulls my attention back to him. His eyes slowly turn black while the vines are now almost fully covering him. His hand clutches mine while his body is shaking terribly.

Blood starts coming out of Ryan’s mouth as we go through the bumpy terrain. My tears fall while watching him in pain without being able to help him elevate it. I don’t want to lose him.

Despite the pain, Ryan reaches out to wipe my tears. His blue eyes tainted in black stare into mine. It makes me unable to stop sobbing. I use both of my hands to hold his hand and place it on my chest.

Sayang,” His hoarse voice is low and his eyes soften. “Don’t cry… ugh. My heart hurts more if you do,” He starts coughing heavily.

“Don’t talk… Please, just don’t… Don’t leave me,” I beg him.

He tries to strengthen his grip in holding my hand but I can feel the weakness is getting to him.

“I won’t,” 

That second of firmness disappears as his eyes turn black and he stops shaking. His hand almost slips away from mine but I hold on tight.

“Ryan? Ryan?!” I shake him lightly in fear that I will hurt him but he doesn’t respond at all.

“Do-Hyun, what do I do?! Ryan… Ryan, he…,”

“Calm down! Check his pulse,” Do-Hyun's immediate response makes me a little calmer. I nod at his instruction before fumbling with Ryan’s hand. 

A strong grip stops mine from moving and when our eyes meet, Ryan’s eyes are now glowing blue. His brows remain furrowed with a clenched jaw but the vines slowly recede. His eyes stare into mine unblinkingly.

“Are you okay? What's wrong?” Relief washes over me upon seeing the familiar blue reflecting my face.

“Ivan…” Ryan grunts in pain.

“I’m here. What do you need? How can I help?” I’m so flustered that I don’t even know where to put my hand.

Ryan raises his upper body to lean over. His chin is trembling as his eyes are glistening. His face is so close to mine but the pained look makes me unable to turn away.

“Please… Don’t reject me anymore,” His hoarse voice quivers as I feel the moisture on my shoulder.

I can’t even answer him when his body stumbles forward and I realise he has passed out. I blankly lay him back down gently. His pale face no longer has the black vines covering them. I can see it underneath his collar but it doesn’t spread anymore.

I don’t understand his words. When have I ever rejected him?

“We’re here,” Joey briefly says as the car comes to a halt.

Do-Hyun gets off the car right away and heads inside what appears to be a five-storey building in the middle of the woods. Joey opens the backseat door but I continue to hold onto Ryan. Joey takes one look before giving up and walking to the side to smoke.

It doesn’t take long before several people in coats rush out with a stretcher. Do-Hyun comes out with them and tells me to get out. I don’t want to but seeing his pale face makes me sad so I weakly walk out of the car. Do-Hyun wants to support me but I don’t let him.

I hold on to the car as I watch them pull Ryan out roughly but quickly. They push the stretcher into the building and I rush to follow. I watch as Ryan lay unmoving on the stretcher and into the treatment room. The nurse tells me to wait outside despite my protest.

I turn to the side and see two familiar men in a white coat. Eric enters the room while Dr Philips stops by the door and sends me a smile.

“Dr Philips, why are you here?”

Dr Philips turns to the room while the doctors and nurses rustle and bustle around Ryan. He looks at me through the corner of his eyes.

“You’ve been through a lot but you must have a lot of questions,”

I purse my lips while thinking about the reason I even agreed to go to that warehouse in the first place. We left without any answers but with an injured Ryan that could die.

“The guardians can’t tell you anything but the person that will answer your question has arrived.” After saying so, he walks into the room and everyone pauses in place as they look at him with hopeful eyes.

Dr Philips quietly tells them to leave. No one argues with him and walks out just like that.

“What’s going on? Why are you guys leaving?” I try to go inside but one of them stops me.

“It’s out of our hands. Stay put. You can’t interrupt.” The person proceeds to drag me away despite my struggle. Their strengths are commendable. It’s scary how such a lanky person even has the ability to carry me away.

I scream and struggle but they push me down to be seated on a bench. I slump down as I watch them walk away.

“Evan?”

My eyes grow wide because it’s another familiar face. His golden hair shimmers in the sunlight as he walks to me. Mama always says they are a lion’s mane and I can’t see it as anything else anymore.

He stares at me for a moment before saying, “You are Evan, aren’t you? You look different but similar,”

I bite my lips and start crying. Leon doesn’t pull me into his embrace but pats my head as he always does. He knows I hate to be touched by men and a hug is off-limits but I still love his head pat. They’re very comforting.

“You’re involved in a whole mess, aren’t you?” He quietly speaks even though we are alone. “Ruby didn’t even tell me anything. No, he probably couldn’t tell me,”

“Who am I, Leon?” I ask between my soft sobbing.

“You’re you. Does it matter even if you change your body… Ah,” He exclaims before muttering something under his breath.

I stare at him with hopeful eyes which makes him let out an awkward laugh.

“I remembered something. It was years ago, he told me that there was a mix up in the between worlds. A part of a soul accidentally came here from a parallel world and thus, became a newborn. Then they lost the original soul that was supposed to be born to that family. It was chaotic and even when they managed to recover it, the world's original trajectory had already turned into disarray.”

“Are you saying…”

He nods before continuing, “It’s probably you. It makes sense why Ruby was so attached to you but won’t take you away from there, himself. It’s not that he didn’t want to but he can’t. Something about world’s law and shi- stuff like that,”

The two of us fall in silence as I digest everything.

“Does that mean everything bad that happens to me was because I wasn’t born to my family?”

Leon blinks his eyes and scratches his head, “I don’t know but Ruby once said that each soul had its own path. Just like mine led me to him,” 

He furrows his brows before sighing, “You and that soul are the same person. If you two weren’t, he couldn’t have taken your place. You both have suffered, but that doesn’t justify what has happened. It was neither of your faults. You may not be able to accept it but for you to take back your rightful place, you both need to die at the same time without outside intervention.”

“That’s not easy to achieve…,” He rubs his forehead. “I’m not an expert on this but I’d like to believe that the soul knew he was trapped inside a body that wasn’t his own. He was probably as hopeless as you were. I’m not saying these to hurt you but only want you to understand,”

I don’t even realise that my tears haven't stopped flowing. I don’t understand anything at this moment. Did he steal my place? What happened? I don’t understand anything and there can only be so much I can take.

Leon sits quietly next to me and the sense of comfort just being by someone that knows me makes me feel better. Ryan’s face flashes in my mind and I clench my hand and swallow my saliva.

Eric approaches us from the distance, “Evan, he has stabilized. You can go see him now,” Eric informs me kindly. 

I nod my head and Eric continues saying, “Call me if he wakes up. I will be around. Stay as long as you want.”

I tell him “I understand,” and he leaves afterwards.

I finally realise that this building in the middle of nowhere is a functioning hospital. Their choice in location is odd but I don’t have the energy in me to ask them about it. I want to see Ryan now.

The two of us walk to the room. Leon manages to catch up with my brisk pace effortlessly. We stop in front of the door because my feet feel heavy the moment I see Ryan all hooked up to the machines. 

“Go.” Leon pats my back as a push and leaves me with a smile.

I watch his back but I don’t try to stop him. I know where he is heading now. I touch my cheek because I realise I unconsciously smiled. My heart feels lighter as I take a step into the room.

I sit next to Ryan and watch him sleeping peacefully. I reach out to touch his hand. It’s still cold but it’s not as bad as earlier.

I stare at his face while holding his hand. I tell myself he will be fine.

Everything will be fine.

 

Disclaimer: Everything that is written here is fictional and the author does not support any illegal activities. Do take good care of yourself and be careful.

5