How to Raise a Cold CEO (8)
585 3 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Felicia came home from school one day to see a van parked outside the front of the mansion. The van had the generic words “Computer System Technician: Home Installation and Repair” painted on the outside.

Her eyebrows rose until they almost touched her hairline.

‘Computer System? DARS! Is this a real computer? With a monitor and keyboard?!’

[Correct.]

“OH MY GOD, DID DADDY BUY A COMPUTER?!”

[Correct.]

“Stop the car!” Felicia cried out to the driver, who immediately screeched the car to a halt.

“Miss, what—?”

“I’m getting out here! Don’t wait for me!” Before the driver could say anything else, she opened the door and jumped out.

The chauffeur, mouth open in surprise, watched as she ran like the wind and swung the front door open. Usually they didn’t enter through the front door, but came in from the side. This had been the routine for years.

Felicia ran straight for Mr. King’s office. There were two places he tended to frequent, his study and his office. Considering the man in question, he’d never keep something like a computer in his study, so the only other place was the office.

Over the last few years, she’d occasionally seen advertisements for home computers in the morning newspaper. The first time she saw the advertisement, she tried to act cute and get Mr. King to buy one for her. But if Mr. King didn’t “believe in” television, he certainly wasn’t going to believe in the “new fangled” home computing system. He adamantly refused to get her one, no matter how she begged.

She had no idea why he’d finally gotten one, but she wasn’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth!

As she guessed, the computer was being installed in the office. Mr. King was also there, watching the technician curiously. Though ten years had aged him, his hair almost white and his face gaining a few more wrinkles, he still stood straight as a rod and had clear dark blue eyes. He turned around at the crisp sound of his daughter’s footsteps.

“Daddy, you got one!” She ran up to him and wrapped her arms around his neck, practically hanging off of his taller frame in excitement. “Thank you, thank you!”

He hugged her back, chuckingly slightly. However, this lasted only a moment.

Patting her back, he said seriously, “This isn’t a toy, Fee. It’s for work.”

She froze. “W—work?”

“Mm, King Enterprises is already using them. My assistant said if I didn’t get used to using them now, I’d be in trouble later.” He eyed her knowingly, “Fee, you can’t play with this. It’s for work, understand?”

She stopped hugging him, arms wrapped across her chest and pouted.

“All the other kids have their own computers!” In a school filled to the brim with kids from rich families, what parents couldn’t afford the newest, latest gadget?

“If all the other kids ran off a cliff, would you do it too?”

“Daaaaaddy!” She openly whined. “How could you accuse me of being a lemming? I’m just saying it’s not strange for kids to have their own home computers!”

“What do you need one for? You’ve got paper and pens for writing letters, a phone in your room to call people, and an entire library at home. As for games… does a young lady really need those kinds of distractions?”

Her pout deepened as she thought sarcastically, ‘So he knows what kids use computers for, huh? So well informed! Such a responsible parent!’

“Computers are the future!” She tried arguing back, “Just like how you need to know how to use one for business, I’ll need to know how to use one to be able to function in society!”

“You’ve functioned just fine for the last 16 years without knowing how to use one.”

“But—!”

Mr. King raised his hand to stop her. “Felicia, the answer is no.”

She stomped her feet angrily.

“Fine! Just let your only daughter get left behind! When everyone is doing all their banking and shopping online, finding out the latest news and being well informed, I’ll just sit in my corner like a caveman! Totally ignorant! Stupid! The King of the Numbskulls!”

Not just Mr. King, but the technician—who had been trying to remain invisible—stared at her in astonishment. The tech, being well informed about the technology he was making a living on, was particularly surprised. This was the first time he’d met a 16 year old girl who was well informed about computers. She was also a visionary, believing that computers would one day be so common if she didn’t have one, she’d be left behind. Was she unique or did all rich kids think like her?

For Mr. King, he didn’t understand at all. First, he wasn’t sure if any of those things she said could be done with a computer. And what was an ‘online’, anyway? Secondly, even if it was possible, those things could all be done “the old fashioned way”, with a checkbook or by reading a newspaper. Or by simply talking to other people!

Therefore, he concluded, she was overreacting and throwing a tantrum.

A deep frown formed on Mr. King’s face.

“I’m not getting you a home computer system and that’s final.”

“But—”

“Young lady, as long as you’re in my house, you’ll do as I say.”

Her face flushed red at being treated like a child and she exploded angrily, “Ha! Fine! Just wait, when I move out, the first thing I’ll do is buy myself a computer!”

“Not with my money you won’t.”

“Who says I’ll use your money?!”

“Whose money will you use then? Do you plan on working after you graduate?!”

Felicia's face scrunched in frustration, “M—maybe I will!”

Mr. King burst out laughing, as if she’d told a hilarious joke.

“Hey—! You old grandpa! What do you know?! I can work!”

He stopped laughing at her ‘old grandpa’ comment, his pride hurt.

“Felicia King! Go to your room!” He pointed at the door, furious.

“FINE, it’s not like I wanted to talk to you anyway!”

She immediately ran out of the office and down the hall. After turning a corner, she suddenly stopped. Her temper had abruptly cooled.

‘DARS.’

[Yes?]

‘Did I just… er... flip out over something stupid?’

[Yes.]

She covered her face, squatting on her heels, and groaned loudly.

‘Being a teenager is such a pain.’

DARS floated down and did his comforting “bounce, bounce” on her shoulder.

[There, there.]

Felicia glared at him angrily. She swore she heard a trace of laughter in his mechanical voice.

Later in the evening, Darius came home. Because he was in track and field, he occasionally stayed after school and didn’t return until before dinner. It wasn’t until halfway through the meal that he realized something was wrong.

“Why aren’t you two talking to each other?” He said, speaking to both his father and his sister. They were the types that chatted incessantly at the dinner table. Without their conversation, the table felt unnaturally quiet.

Mr. King glanced at Felicia, who immediately turned her face and huffed loudly. Seeing this, Mr. King’s face darkened.

“Apparently I’m an old man now and don’t know anything.”

Darius' eyebrows scrunched together. “Dad, what are you saying? It’s because you’re an old man that you know a lot.”

Mr. King felt like he’d taken a fatal blow twice in one day.

Kim, who also didn’t know what was going on, hastily intervened. Taking Mr. King’s hand in her own, she gently squeezed it. “Honey, you’re not old. It’s just these young kids have no perspective. I bet they’d say college students were old.”

“I would no—”

Felicia viciously kicked Darius on the side of his leg. He turned to her, eyes wide and speechless. His face clearly said: What was that for?!

“Daddy,” Felicia spoke before Darius could say anything and make matters worse, “Had a computer installed in his office. He said I can’t use it because it’s only for his work.”

“Ah.”

Darius finally understood. His sister had been whining about wanting a computer for years. Now one was in the house and she couldn’t touch it. This was like putting a huge chocolate cake in front of a child and telling them they couldn’t eat it.

“Sweetie, apologize to Daddy.” Kim spoke, a look of disapproval on her face now that she, too, understood the source of the fight. “He works so hard for you, every day making sure you have a good life. He gives you everything a girl could ever want. If he says you can’t have one thing, how could you begrudge him for it?”

Felicia lowered her head and scowled, poking at her dinner plate. Over the years, she’d come to a sort of compromise with the host over Kim. She avoided Kim as much as possible and, in return, the few times she was around Kim she’d be obedient. Neither Felicia or her host were very happy with this method, but it was better than nothing.

“Felicia…” Kim eyed her daughter warningly.

“Alright!” Felicia brought her head back up, eyes clear of resentment. “I’m sorry, okay? I know I’m being unreasonable, I just can’t help it. Everyone has something they want—”

Kim abruptly put her fork down, making a large clattering sound, and glared at her daughter. Felicia paused and pursed her lips, then turned to Mr. King.

“Sorry Daddy.” She looked extremely contrite. “I know you work hard and love me. I won’t… I won’t bring up wanting a computer again.”

Mr. King was silent for a moment. “Do you really think I’m an old grandpa?”

Felicia’s face twitched. That was what he was really upset about?!

“Daddy, how could I really think that? I was just angry, okay? People say things they don’t mean when they’re angry all the time! You’re so handsome, all the other daddies at school look ugly by comparison. Even some of the boys in school don’t measure up to you.”

“Really?”

“Of course! Aren’t I right Mom?”

Kim, finally satisfied with her daughter’s performance, laughed. Poking her husband, she spoke in a charming voice, “Damien, honey, didn’t you win “Most Handsome Man of the Year” in those financial magazines 4 years in a row? And if that isn’t enough, what about my opinion? Do you really think I’d stay married to an ugly man?”

“...you are pretty shallow…” Mr. King muttered, immediately getting a playful slap from his wife.

From then on, the rest of the meal was pleasant.

Truthfully Felicia wasn’t angry before the meal started. But Mr. King had come to the dinner table blatantly sulking, barely talking to her at all. Anyone would be annoyed by such behavior from a man who was old enough to be a grandpa! Since she found his behavior ridiculous, she returned tit-for-tat and didn’t talk to him either.

After dinner she and Darius headed to their rooms. Their rooms were across from each other.

“Fee, are computers really that interesting?” Darius asked along the way. He knew of their existence because other students talked about them but due to his father’s active dislike of them, he hadn’t done much research on them. As a (usually) obedient son, he didn’t understand his sister’s insistence on getting one of them.

Felicia put her hands behind her head, entwining her fingers. “Not so much now… it’s what they’ll do in the future that interests me.”

“The future?”

“Just you wait Dee. Twenty years from now, everyone will either have a computer or be interacting with one.”

“How can you be so sure?” Darius found it a little bit unbelievable that everyone would own a computer. Weren’t they just big calculators? He could do everything they did and he didn’t need to be plugged into a wall.

She glanced at him and raised an eyebrow.

“Because I looked into them. You should do the same. I saw what they can do now and what they could do five years ago. Every year they’re improved, getting faster and smaller and able to do more things. Mmm… just based on that, I’m guessing someday we’ll be able to hold a whole computer in the palm of our hand.”

He laughed in disbelief. “What, those clunky things?”

Felicia stopped walking and turned to him with a serious expression.

“I mean it, Dee. Because you’re good at math, you don’t see any use for them and view them as crutches for people who can’t do what you do so easily. But someday they’ll surpass even you.”

The amusement on his face immediately disappeared.

Had she read his mind? Sometimes he swore she did. Everyone else barely understood him, much less what he was thinking. But she always did.

Thinking how his sister was weirdly perceptive in strange ways, he suddenly found himself curious about computers.

A few weeks later, Felicia was studying late into the night. Unlike Darius, who could memorize everything easily in a single read through, she had to study. She didn’t have a photographic memory, just high comprehension skills. And she was putting the full weight of her comprehension abilities to use right now.

Other than math, every subject had discrepancies compared to her original world. History was slightly different, spelling was slightly different, even the sciences were slightly different! Though at least with science it was more a matter of her having newer information. These “slight differences” could get very very confusing, especially on tests with multiple choice and fill-in-the-blanks.

As she got into the higher courses, she could no longer depend on her original world’s knowledge to get her through her homework. By the time she entered highschool, if she didn’t study, her answers would be off by just enough that she’d fail completely. Right now she was maintaining a high B average by frantically studying.

Why frantically? Because her host didn’t like studying! The more she integrated with the host, the less of her original hobbies and desires took precedence. It was only thanks to years of hard work early on that her host had finally come to like reading. But even after all this time, she still needed to take breaks every 2 hours, otherwise the host body would zone out.

As for studying, her host was naturally an intellectually lazy person and didn’t want to do it every night. It was already pushing things reading regularly. Since this was Felicia’s second time through and she knew she’d leave this place someday, she was also not as enthusiastic as she usually would be. It didn’t help that she wouldn’t be in the career she wanted after graduating... Putting both mentalities together and Felicia found herself studying the day before a test like a mad woman.

On nights like this, she kept a cup of heavily sweetened coffee and cookies nearby. It happened she’d gone through both. All the servants were gone for the day, so she had to stand up and get what she needed herself.

As she walked to the kitchen, she noticed a dim light coming from the office. It was almost midnight, why was Mr. King up this late without all the lights on? His eyesight wasn’t good anymore, working in dim light would give him a headache... Curious, she took a peek inside.

It was Darius!

Not only was he inside the office, he had the computer on and was typing away.

‘What’s he doing?’

[Coding.]

‘...wut?’

[Darius is learning to code.]

Felicia eyebrows shot up and then lowered, her expression thoughtful.

‘Now that I think about it, he should be pretty good at coding huh?’

[Correct.]

Very quietly she closed the door and took a step back.

‘How long do you think it’ll be until he gets caught?’

[Calculating. His body can not continue functioning with so little sleep. If he continues on like this, he will collapse in another week.]

She rubbed her chin and then chuckled.

Alright, so Mr. King wouldn’t give her a computer. What about Darius?

Though she was spoiled like crazy by Mr. King, it was nothing compared to how he spoiled Darius. It wasn’t because Darius was a boy either. Mr. King wasn’t a chauvinist. Rather, it stemmed from Darius’ “being different” from other children.

Darius gave the impression of being normal now, but it was only an impression. Felicia and Mr. King both knew that Darius lived life going through the motions. What other people understood instinctively, Darius had to have meticulously explained to him. Even if it was explained, he didn’t really understand. This had been his problem when he was young, he didn’t understand the “why” behind everything. Because he didn’t understand, he didn’t see the need to obey so many senseless rules.

It was only when Felicia came into his life that he stopped fighting the “why” of life. Whatever Felicia said, he just accepted “as-is”. He did things, not because he believed they should be done, but because that’s how Felicia told him to do it. It’s not that his nature changed, it was only that he found someone he trusted enough to obey without question. In doing so, he could behave normally… most of the time.

This “most of the time” was the crux of the issue. Damien King wasn’t a young man and wouldn’t be around forever. What if, after he died, his son did something so out-of-the-norm that society rejected him? If he was rejected, how could his son live a good life? He couldn’t bear the thought of his son being mocked, belittled, and treated like a… a... retard.

So if Darius showed interest in anything outside of math, Mr. King was immediately supportive. This was why he was thrilled with his son’s acceptance of Felicia. It was why he attended every track and field competition his son attended, even if his son never won. It was why Felicia was almost 100% certain that when he found out his son was sneakily using the computer, he wouldn’t fight it but immediately go buy one for Darius to use.

Sure, it was a little unfair to Felicia, but in this one area Mr. King was blindly partial.

Felicia didn’t mind. Darius wasn’t the type to abuse Mr. King’s partiality and Mr. King dotted on her host quite a bit already. Usually there was no disadvantage to her when he showed this kind of favoritism. And, in this case, it was only BECAUSE he was being partial that she’d get her hands on a computer to begin with, so she had no intention of complaining.

Changed this arc from "The King's Obsession" to "How to Raise a Cold CEO". I may do something like this again, but I'm hoping the other arcs are properly labelled.

18