Chapter 23: Katie the Goddess of War
826 1 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So...zombies!”

Katie looked at the figures that were climbing their way out of the ground and quietly put her Glock away.

Across the football field, over thirty rotting corpses slowly emerged. A foul reek quickly covered the field, sending many of the students vomiting. On the side, Caitlin was obviously distressed. She did her best to hide it, but Katie could see her tight lips.

Zach walked up to Katie.

“We should work together.”

His intentions were good. In fact, his proposal was perhaps the smartest thing to do for the three unfortunate chosen. But since when did Katie ever do the smartest thing possible?

“Yeah...no.” She whispered before pulling out her kitchen knife. The weapon has killed reanimated bodies, psychic grandmas, and tree-girls. Time to add zombies to the list. “Fuck off, Zach.”

“I know you don’t like me.” The boy was persistent. “But that’s another matter we can talk about later. If we don’t collaborate we will all die here!”

“Rrrrr…” The brunette growled in irritation. “which part of ‘Fuck off’ do you not understand? Is it the “fuck’ or the ‘off’? ‘Cause I’ve got a dictionary on my phone if you want…” She flipped her knife around like an absolute pro, which she definitely wasn’t.

“Look…I know you are a good fighter, Katie. But...remember Prince Oberyn? Do you want to get your head cracked because you’re overconfident?”

“Ok...that just took a weird turn. By the way…” Katie, the easily distracted girl she was, trailed off. “you watch Game of Thrones? What do you think about that random Stark guy winning the Golden Throne? I mean the Iron Throne! It’s just so stupid! I was hoping on Sansa Stark claiming the win, but...”

Perhaps even Mr. Isaac was getting annoyed by the small talk. Finally, all the zombies have gotten out of their resting place. With a simultaneous screech, all thirty-some zombies launched themselves at the three students.

Ten to one. How fair.

“Damn it!” Zach cursed before reaching into his pocket and pulling out a handgun. He turned to the zombies and started shooting.

Bob pulled out a knife, but honestly, he had no idea what to do. How the fuck am I supposed to kill zombies with a knife? Melee it?

Katie showed him how with her actions.

Without another word, Katie jumped forward. The plant in her body was ready for combat, but actually, she had no intention of using it right now. That would ruin all the fun!

A zombie growled in bloodthirst and leaped onto Katie, but Katie was faster. In one swift strike, her kitchen knife went straight into the zombie’s brain.

Instant kill.

Pulling the knife out, Katie suddenly felt pain in her arms. On the side, two zombies grabbed onto her bare arms and started chewing through her soft skin. Just as they were having a nice little feast, the zombies suddenly realized instead of soft, red meat, they were biting down on some sort of brown plant!

I’m a zombie! I didn't sign up to be a carnivore! So...what’s my retirement plan? Is there a zombie 401k for me?

“Well, I was hoping on getting a kill-streak, so...sorry boys!” Katie apologized to the reanimated corpses before chopping the two zombies’ heads off.

Double-kill! Triple-kill!

Another zombie leaped onto Katie from the back and bit down on her neck. A ton of gasps could be heard from the bystander students as the zombie’s teeth cut through Katie’s skin and even a major blood vessel. But before the zombie could do anything else, Katie reached out and slammed the knife into its brain without even looking.

Quadra-kill!

At this point, upon dropping four zombies in just moments, Katie wasn’t in the best situation. She was injured, tired, and even hungry. But she wasn’t knocked out. Not even close. Instead, she felt better than ever.

The more hits she took, the better she was. It was as if she was built for war.

On the side, Zach shot zombie after zombie in the head, killing three of them. To be fair, it wasn’t too bad for a student with next to no experience with firearms. But as another zombie got too close to comfort, Zach had no choice but to turn and run.

Thankfully, the zombies weren’t the fastest monsters Mr. Isaac has summoned. All they could do was stumble after their prey slowly. Zach was able to find the time to occasionally stand his ground and shoot at the zombies a few times, killing one or two each time.

On the side, Katie just added another three zombies to her kill count. She was almost soaked red in blood and gore, but if anything, all the fighting just made her even faster and stronger. In fact, for some reason, she wasn’t even that hungry after all the healing.

On the side, the students were looking at each other. Some of them were whispering.

“Wow! Katie’s is such a badass!”

“How is she doing this?”

“She got bit so many times! How is she not dead from blood loss or something?”

“Do you think she’ll get infected by the zombie virus? That’s how the zombies in Resident Evil work!”

“We’re not in Resident Evil! Wait...are we? Someone look up Racoon City on Google Map!”

"Really? You are such an idiot!"

Amid all the chaos, Caitlin stood there in silence. She couldn’t exactly pinpoint what was going across her head. On one hand, she hated what Katie has become. Sadistic. Masochistic. Pleasured by blood, pain, and death. She could never understand how Katie could giggle when more students were pulled into this terrifying fate, nor how she could stand by and watch Sara get mauled to death.

At the same time, Caitlin felt like she owed Katie. She has never known Katie had feelings for her. The thought simply has never crossed her head. It never occurred to her. Now that she thought about it, she could tell there were cases where Katie wanted to tell her the truth, but…

Now, as a result, she was stuck in a love triangle. and she saw no way out without hurting someone she truly cared about.

Back to the battle.

Katie was faster and faster. If initially, the zombies could land a few bites on her, then now none of them could stand a chance. Almost all of the dozen or so zombies left turned their attention to her, but none of them could take Katie down.

Push the blade in. Pull the blade out. Repeat. This seemingly endless cycle went on and on and on until the last zombie literally lost its head. Katie was like an invincible Goddess of War as she massacred the terrifying monsters.

Finally, the situation became clear. The students have won!

All three students were nice and standing. Zach was a bit exhausted, but he wasn’t even grazed by the zombies. Katie...well, she was the typical Katie Lockwood after a battle. Bob was injured. A bloody wound was on his left arm, courtesy of one of the zombies.

“Hmmm...over already?” Katie complained. She was just getting started with the carnage! In fact, not a single student died today! She turned to Mr. Isaac curiously. “Is there a round 2? Please~”

Mr. Isaac stood there, his body shaking in fury at Katie’s insulting words. Suddenly, he smirked viciously.

“Friendly reminder. You know the t-virus in Resident Evil?”

“Yah?”

“Well…” Mr. Isaac glanced at one of the students and realized he didn't need to keep talking. Why? Because what he was going to remind the students was already unfolding before their very eyes.

Bob collapsed onto the ground and started coughing like crazy. Black blood oozed out of his mouth, along with an ear-piercing scream. The students watched in horror as Bob’s body suddenly started to corrode. The once smooth skin was replaced by rotting flesh. Life was drained out of Bob’s eyes.

Before anyone could realize what happened, Bob stood back up again. This time, he was no longer in the realm of the living.

This time, he was a zombie.

Bob growled and charged at the nearest student, fueled by a boundless lust for living flesh. That student happened to be Katie, who chopped off his head with a single move and ended his suffering.

Yet that wasn’t the end. Bob wasn’t the only student wounded by the zombies and thus infected by whatever virus that made the zombies in the first case. Caitlin, Zach, and the others turned to Katie, wondering if today was the day for the psychopath to go down.

“It’s about time…” Kyle whispered with a small smirk. Had a lot of fun punching me in the face and embarrassing me in front of everyone, didn't you Katie? Well, guess what? You’re gonna die as a filthy, ugly beast! You think you’re some sort of badass? No, you’re not! There ain’t shit you can do against Mr. Isaac!

Now that Katie was dealt with...Kyle’s eyes laid on Caitlin. If Katie was transformed and she happened to have taken out Zach...the girl would be out of allies! Kyle might not be able to slay Katie himself, but he would be perfectly fine with taking out that frustration on her lover.

“Ummm…” Katie suddenly shivered, not because she was being turned or something, but because everyone was suddenly staring at her. “uhhh...guys? I like the attention as much as the next gal, but this is kinda creepy…”

“Katie…” Zach frowned. Even as he was talking, he was physically and mentally prepared to dash away any second. “how are you feeling?”

“How am I feeling? I’m feeling perfectly fine! In fact, I’m feeling awesome!”

Katie exclaimed as she held her hands into a fist. For some reason, she felt a lot more energized. All the wounds on her body have healed. What about the zombie virus, you ask? The answer is simple: how the fuck am I supposed to know? Do I, Katie Lockwood, look like a doctor to you?

On the side, seeing Katie was perfectly fine and human, the smile on Mr. Isaac’s face disappeared.

“Class dismissed.” He announced loudly to the entire class.

His foul mood was so obvious anyone could see it.

The students looked at each other before most of them departed from this hell as soon as possible. Whatever was happening with Katie was none of their concern. What was their concern? Spend every second of their remaining, and probably short, life on having as much fun as possible.

A few students made sure to avoid Katie as they left, occasionally throwing scared looks at her. Even Eric stayed away from her for the time being.

But not all students were afraid of Katie.

Caitlin walked up to Katie, not afraid of her turning into a zombie nor of the blood and gore all over her body. Katie suddenly found herself smiling. If experiencing and exerting pain made her physically comfortable, then being with Caitlin made her mentally relaxed. The only thing that kept this moment from being perfect was the boy standing next to them.

“Thank you, Katie.” Caitlin said quietly with a small smile on. “Zach would’ve been dead without you, along with god knows how many students if he keeps this game on.”

Mr. Isaac said yesterday this game of “choose the monsters via cards” would continue indefinitely until a team of three survived. Katie was perhaps the only student capable of ending all this, and she did precisely that.

“Yeah, no big deal.” Katie could swear she was blushing as countless thoughts rushed through her head. Did Caitlin really mean that? Has she forgiven her for what she did and said? Was she developing feelings for her?

The girl who braved undead monsters with barely any sweat found herself afraid. And what did Katie do with those concerns? She talked to Caitlin about her thoughts and feelings like a normal, well-educated adult.

Nope. She changed the topic.

“Plus,” Katie pointed at Zach. “I literally dragged him into this, so...ten dollars your boyfriend wants to put a bullet in my head right now?”

Before Caitlin could say anything, Zach cut in.

“Perhaps, but it is ultimately Mr. Isaac that is causing all this atrocity. If I’m putting a bullet in someone’s head, it’s his.”

“Really?” Katie almost burst out laughing. Nice acting! Don’t think I can’t tell you’re just being noble in front of Caitlin to make me look bad! She glanced at Mr. Isaac, who was a distance away. Good for you, Zach! Wait...what if I tell on Zach…that would be so fun! But Caitlin though…Her smile turned into a frown.

“Zach’s right.” Caitlin had no idea what foul thoughts were going on through Katie’s head. “If anyone’s responsible for what’s happening here, it’s Mr. Isaac. He needs to pay for it.” She turned to Katie. “Zach and I were looking into ways to handle Mr. Isaac, for good.”

She was also glancing at the undead teacher as she spoke. It would be really awkward if she finished saying all that and turned to find Mr. Isaac right there behind her. Oh wait, did she say awkward? Nope. She actually meant horrifying.

“Katie, you should join us.”

“Yessss!” Katie was almost cheering. Finally! She was finally accepted back by Caitlin! Unfortunately, she no longer had exclusive access, but...well, it was a good first step. “Let’s go!”

Just as the trio was about to leave, Mr. Isaac suddenly walked up to the three. More specifically, his eyes landed on Katie.

“Ms. Lockwood.” He said in what was no more than a whisper, but everyone heard him. “Please come with me back to the classroom. We...we need to discuss something...in private”

Katie felt Caitlin squeeze her hand tight.

 

29