Chapter 6: Monster’s Lair
1.3k 0 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Come to my place. I need to talk to you.”

“I’m still intending on going to Eric’s party.” Katie reminded as she glanced at the paper Eric gave her again. “But I guess we still have time. What have you got?”

The two returned to Caitlin’s home. Neither of her parents was at home. Even if they were, they wouldn’t raise a single question.

Caitlin poured Katie’s a cup of orange juice before grabbing one for herself. The two finally sat down in the living room.

“I have been investigating what happened.” Caitlin started.

“Hmmm.” Katie looked at Caitlin in surprise. Her friend has shown more courage than she expected. As weak and tearful as she was in the day, she decided to take some risk in the end.

Speaking of risk, Katie couldn’t help but wonder if the fact that Caitlin was chosen for the game today was a result of the investigation she did. Maybe Mr. Isaac was trying to terminate the loose ends?

Caitlin continued.

“The memory of Mr. Isaac is forgotten by everyone not involved in the games, but the physical objects associated with him is still there. Most people just can’t see them. I got into the principal's office and found the file on Mr. Isaac. From that, I got Mr. Isaac’s home address.”

“I like where this is going.”

“I want to check it out. There might be some lead in Mr. Isaac’s house that can tell us who he is and how to defeat him.”

Katie looked at Caitlin. She could see the resolve in Caitlin’s eyes.

“This will be risky.”

Mr. Isaac has never shown any hesitation in terminating opposition. He has burnt and dissected students for so much less. There was no saying what he would do to those that pose a threat to him.

Caitlin sighed.

“Do you think I don’t know that? But someone has to do this. We can’t just sit back and let him cut us down one by one. Five people died on the first day. Another died on the second. How long will it take for the rest of us to go down?”

“You’re not the savior!” Katie suddenly got extremely pissed off. “I don’t know how long it will take for us to all die, but I know you will be the first ones to die if you keep doing this! Can’t you tell Mr. Isaac has already tried to exterminate you today? He knows what you’re doing!”

Caitlin was dead silent.

“I don’t believe you didn't see that.”

“I saw that.” The blonde finally replied. “But I’m still here, alive. He’s not invincible.”

“You’re alive because I stuck a knife in myself for you! Literally! Also, your opponent was a pathetic coward. You won’t have this luck every time!”

“You are strangely concerned about me.” Caitlin suddenly decided to change the field of battle. She decided to be the aggressor instead. “Why is that?”

“You’re my friend.”

“You didn't show that concern for Jessica.”

“You’re my best friend.”

“You didn't look concerned when Lucy was burned alive. You didn't look concerned when Brian was screaming on the ground. Why is that?”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Katie was a mess herself. She decided to avoid the topic.

But Caitlin wouldn’t let her.

“When you came to my rescue, you enjoyed the pain. I could see it. What is going on, Katie? You’re no longer the same after the games began.”

“Why does it matter? I’m more effective than I have ever been. You heard Eric! He thinks I have some sort of superpower! Whatever is happening to me is only making me better.”

“Whatever is happening to you is making you think it’s ok to shoot a fellow human being in the head with a shotgun.” Caitlin took a step closer. “You know it’s bad yourself, but you’re avoiding it. You can’t hide from this forever, Katie.”

This time it was Katie’s turn to be silent.

“You saved me back in the classroom, Katie, and now I will do my best to save you.” Caitlin gave a final push. “Tell me what’s going on inside your head. It will help. I promise.”

Katie took a deep breath before finally starting.

“I have always had this...this urge to do something interesting. Life just felt so boring. At first I thought it was just hormones and puberty, but it’s too serious to be normal. I started cutting myself just for the thrill of it.”

“I never noticed. I’m...I’m sorry about that.”

“It’s not your fault.” Katie pulled her sleeve up, revealing a large chunk of bare skin. “For some reason, I heal very quickly.”

Caitlin realized what Katie was saying. Moments ago, Katie stuck a blade into that area. Now, it was as smooth and pale as any other part of her body.

Katie continued.

“After the game began, I just started to get feelings. When Jessica died, I wanted to be terrified. I really did. But all I could think of was how beautiful she was with that scissor sticking out of her eye socket.” She was almost afraid to look Caitlin in the eyes. “It’s sick, I know, but I just couldn’t help it.”

For a moment, the room was silent. Katie looked away, afraid that Caitlin would see her as some sort of monster or maniac. Suddenly, she felt Caitlin wrapping her arms around her.

“It’s ok, Katie.”

Katie kept going.

“When Lucy attacked me, I felt intrigued. I had a lot of fun in fighting back and manipulating everyone to vote for her to die. The worst part is, as she burned, I not only didn't feel guilty. I enjoyed it. I am just so messed up.”

“Keep going. It’s better to say it out than bury it down.”

“When Mr. Isaac was choosing the participants today, I wanted him to pick me. I wanted to do horrible things to myself because I knew I would’ve enjoyed it. I got into the game not just to save you, but also so I can play a part in the fun.”

Katie suddenly started to breathe heavily. Her lips shook, but she still pushed through.

“When I saw that syringe, the one that held the Formula 6 drug, I wanted to take it. The pain will be intense, and a part of me wanted to see you scream. It’s horrible. I wanted to torture my best friend.”

Caitlin tapped Katie in the back in reassurance.

“It’s ok. You stopped yourself, didn't you? You are strong enough to control your animal desires.”

“I did, but I don’t know how long I can do this anymore.” Katie looked at her hands. “My desires are growing every day as the games continue. Eventually, I won’t be able to control it, and I will do something that I will regret.”

Caitlin agreed.

“Just taking this isn’t a long term solution.” She snapped out her phone. “I can try to look for conditions that match your symptoms.”

As Katie sank into the sofa, exhausted from the outburst, Caitlin did some research.

“Ok. Do you lack empathy, guilt, or remorse? Do you have shallow feelings or emotions? Are you impulsive?”

“Well,” Katie considered it. “We’re talking about my new urges, right?”

“Yes.”

“Then it’s yes for all of them, except the shallow emotions part. I can still feel anger and happiness and satisfaction and so on.”

“Well, then you do exhibit some psychopathic traits.” Caitlin tossed her phone on the sofa.

“How does that help me?”

“Well, there is no cure for being a psychopath. It’s just how one’s brain is wired. I think it’s time to consider that you might not be having a disease.”

“Then what am I having?”

“A transformation.” Caitlin looked at Katie. “Something inside your brain is changing. It’s possible that you have had this for the entire time, but as of now, it has just been activated. You said you started feeling this change after Mr. Isaac started his games, right? Maybe he would know what’s happening.”

“It’s not like we can just go ask him.” Katie laid back again. “So nothing. What a waste of time.”

“It’s not completely nothing either.” Caitlin frowned. “There might be nothing we can do to dissolve your urges, but we can try to direct it to the right direction.” She touched the wound on her leg. “As much as I hate to admit, it does have its benefits.”

“What do you mean? Right direction?”

“Just like what you did today. If you’re involved in a game and someone has to die, like Brian, and there’s no other way, then you can do it. But if it’s people like Terry that would otherwise be fine, you don’t lay a finger on them.”

“In my defense, Terry threatened me.”

“Yes he did.” Caitlin nodded. “Now, I am going to punch you in the face.”

“What?”

“There, I threatened you. Are you going to kill me as well?”

“That’s not what I mean.”

“Being threatened doesn’t justify killing someone.” Caitlin leaned forward. She was dead serious. “Listen to me, Katie. If you are willing to kill someone today because they said the wrong thing to you, then tomorrow you will kill someone for much lesser reasons. Eventually, it won’t be you who’s making those calls. You will become the monster that you are so afraid of.“

Katie looked away. At that moment, she might have killed two people, but Caitlin was the boss.

“Fair enough. Control my urges. Don’t hurt anyone when I have other choices.” She nodded. “Speaking of choices, you said you got the address to Mr. Isaac’s house.”

“Right.”

“Have you been there?”

“No.”

“We should check it out.” All of a sudden, Katie found herself saying what Caitlin has been suggesting minutes ago. “I still believe it’s risky, but it might have some leads on how to end this game or what is happening to me.”

“Agreed.” Caitlin stood up and walked to the basement. A minute later, she returned with a black pistol.

“M1911. My grandfather was a fan of guns. He had this kept in the basement. I hope he won’t notice it’s gone.” She checked the magazine of the handgun and turned to Katie. “Do you need one?”

Katie pulled out the Glock 43. She glanced at the M1911 and then back at her own weapon. “In my defense, larger doesn’t mean better.”

Caitlin grinned.

---

Mr. Isaac’s house was located at one of the suburban neighborhoods, but as of yesterday, it was wiped off everyone’s mind. The house itself was still there, but any pedestrian that walked by couldn’t see it.

Katie and Caitlin reached the house in Caitlin’s silver car.

“Do you think he’s inside now? If he is, we’ll be in real trouble.”

“We should make up a story in case he sees us. How about this? He’s all about horror games. If he catches us, we’ll just tell him we had an excellent game idea and decided to come and suggest it to him.”

“What will that idea be?”

“Oh I have a lot of things in mind.” Katie shrugged. “I’m sure everyone else will hate me if I tell Mr. Isaac those ideas, but who cares? Let’s go.”

The two reached the door. Katie gave it a gentle push and realized it just swung open like that. She glanced at the lock. It looked like it was ripped off the door by something. Either way, the two walked into the house.

“Mr. Isaac?” Katie yelled. “Are you home? We want to talk to you about something! Mr. Isaac?”

“I think he’s gone.” Caitlin stated the obvious after Katie’s voice echoed through the house for a whole minute.

“Well, let’s do this.”

Katie and Caitlin started to go through the tales and cabinets of the rooms. They expected to find bodies and blood, but they found neither.

“There are food here.” Katie opened the refrigerator. “So let me get this straight. Mr. Isaac is some sort of undead that jumped off a building and came back, but he still needs to eat?” She pulled out a bag of milk. “I did not expect this.”

“Katie…”

“And check out this phone! It’s still being charged! What kind of undead monster uses a phone?”

“Katie…”

“I think we may have gotten everything all wrong. He’s not some sort of wraith or ghost. He’s a human being, at least part human being. Then why did he go through all the trouble to make us think he’s a ghost? He has the power to force us to comply either way!”

“Katie…”

Katie turned around and found Caitlin facing a hallway. She was staring at something, and that something terrified her so much that she was shaking uncontrollably. Katie’s expression changed as she pulled out her Glock and ran over.

Her mouth hung open when she saw what was at the other end of the hallway.

“Oh...this is finally starting to look like the lair of a monster.”

40