Chapter 8: Game 3
1.2k 4 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the fire finally died down, the corpses were no longer moving. Katie pulled the knife out of the stack and blew the ashes off its silver blade.

It might be her hallucination, but she felt like there was something different with her blade.

Footsteps came from inside the house. Katie turned and found Caitlin facing her. Her M1911 was in her hand. She was carrying a barrel with “flammable” written on top.

It seemed like she had a similar idea as Katie.

“Katie, I have an idea! If we can light them on fire…” She paused as she saw the pile of burnt corpses. “Oh.”

“Great minds think alike.” Katie joked as she returned the knife into her pocket.

Caitlin was in tears, especially after she saw all the blood and holes on Katie’s jacket. Setting the barrel to the side, she ran over and hugged Katie tightly with no intention of letting her go.

“Ok ok.” Katie reassured. “I can heal very, very quickly. It’s not as dangerous as it seems.” She pulled back and pulled her shirt open, revealing clear and undamaged skin. All the burn and scissor marks were nowhere to be seen. To her delight, her breasts recovered as well, otherwise she would be really sad.

Caitlin didn't let her friend go.

“Did it hurt?” She whispered gently.

“Well,” Katie took a deep breath and ended up with a generalized answer. “it was fun.”

She didn't reply directly, but Caitlin knew what the answer to her question was.

Caitlin kissed Katie on the cheek.

“Thank you for saving my life.”

“We should go.” Katie glanced at the pile of burnt corpses again. “Mr. Isaac is not going to be happy when he sees this. As much as I want to see him lash out, I don’t think it’s the best for our health and safety.”

The two finally broke away and left the house. They made their way back to Katie’s house, where the brunette changed off her torn clothing.

“I am going to Eric’s party. He told me it’s gonna be fun.” Katie said as she changed into a fancy dress. “Are you coming?”

“No.” Caitlin shook her head. She still looked a little weak. “I need some rest, especially after what I saw. Plus, I think I should analyze what we saw and try to deduce what Mr. Isaac is really after. It might be the key to taking him out.”

Katie nodded. She wasn’t surprised. Her body and her mind rejoiced at the brutal fighting she just went through and the horror she just witnessed, but unlike her, Caitlin wasn’t a twisted psychopath. She needed time to rest and recover.

Plus, she just learned that they couldn’t escape torment, even in death. The stakes were never higher.

“Stay safe.” After dropping the comment, Katie got into her red Sudan and drove to the address Eric gave her.

An hour later, she was pouring beer down her throat.


When the students went to class the next day, some of them were extremely drunk. A few of them almost came in late. Thankfully, that didn't happen, or there would be a lot more casualties than expected.

Katie sat down beside Caitlin.

“I just realized something very annoying.” She was obviously grumpy. “No matter how much I drink, I can’t get drunk.”

Caitlin’s eyes were weary as well. She couldn’t sleep last night, and rightfully so.

“How much did you drink?”

“A dozen bottles. I had to go to bathroom more times than I could count, but I was just always so awake, and it’s annoying.” Katie complained. After all the confusion and fighting, she wanted to loosen up and relax a little, but she couldn’t even do that. When all the other students at the party were down, she was still perfectly conscious.

“Whatever is wrong with your mind must’ve messed up with your ability to get drunk as well.” Caitlin did her best to think. “That is interesting, because if alcohol can’t affect your brain, then chances are other drugs can’t either. Have you drank coffee?”

“Nope.”

“Have you taken other drugs? Weed, maybe?”

“Honestly, no.” Katie’s parents prohibited her from taking any sort of drug. They did a great job in educating her. Ever since she was little, Katie has decided to stay as far away from drugs as possible.

“You can try it sometime, for science, of course.” Caitlin glanced and saw Mr. Isaac, in his terrifying form, walking into the classroom. “Here he comes.”

Mr. Isaac was obviously unhappy. The playful smirk on his face was nowhere to be seen.

All the students returned to their seats.

Mr. Isaac didn't even bother to hide his anger.

“Someone broke into my house and destroyed some of my properties.” He announced. “Whoever it is should step up at once, and I will gift them with a quick death.”

All the students started looking at each other in shock and confusion. Some were really surprised. Others simply wanted to show Mr. Isaac how surprised they were so he wouldn’t suspect them.

All the while, Mr. Isaac scanned the room. His eyes landed on Katie for a brief second before moving on.

When most of the class was covered in sweat, he finally started again.

“Or maybe it’s not you. Anyways, before we start the game, I want to announce something. Today’s Friday. We won’t be having class during the weekend.”

The class looked at each other in excitement. If Mr. Isaac wasn’t here, they would be shouting and screaming already. Only Katie looked a little down.

“But that means the game today will be more challenging. Of course, I’m sure none of you is going to object.”

The class groaned inside. Of course they wanted to object, but they were smart enough to know it wouldn’t matter.

“What is the game?” Katie, the good student that she is, asked.

Mr. Isaac smiled at her coldly. He had a golden chip in hand.

“In this school are 18 chips just like the one in my hand. In the next hour, you will spread out across the school and try to find the chips. By the end of the hour, anyone without a chip will die.”

18 chips. There are 21 students left in the class. Even in the best case, 3 students will be dead in an hour.

Katie couldn’t help but grin sickly. Just the way she likes it.

“Also, participants are allowed to influence each other.”

Even better.

This addition means students are free to attack each other. Things might be peaceful at the beginning, but close to the end, students would rather take the risk and attack those with the chips then die painfully. Things would get brutal, and the damage done would be so much more than just the 3 victims. Mr. Isaac knew that. The students knew that.

Katie saw a few boys resting their hands in their pockets, presumably on their weapons.

She tapped her Glock and turned to Caitlin.

“You have your gun with you, right?”

“Yes.”

“Then promise you. You will shoot someone if you have to.”

“Katie, I’m not going to shoot my fellow students…”

“Promise me!”

Katie knew Caitlin. She had morals, but that was what she was afraid of. Caitlin would rather die than become a killer. If it comes to this, even if she has a gun to someone’s head, she would never pull the trigger and take the chip.

“I can’t…”

Katie snapped out her Glock and placed it next to her temple. The whole class gasped as Katie leaned to Caitlin’s ear and whispered.

“If I pull the trigger, I will blow my head open. Even if I can heal, chances are I wouldn’t do so in time to get a chip. I will die, and probably be revived by Isaac and spend an eternity in pain. Well, at least that’s what’s gonna happen if you don’t make the promise.”

Caitlin was obviously caught by surprise. “Katie…”

Katie cocked the gun.

“I’m serious.”

Caitlin closed her eyes. “Fine. I promise.”

“Thank you.” Katie lowered her weapon and turned to the rest of the class, who was staring at her with their mouths open. “What? Something on my face?”

They quickly turned away.

“The game begins now.” Mr. Isaac announced. He has been observing the class in silence.

Some students wisely started a timer on their phones. Both Katie and Caitlin were among them.

The students streamed out of the room in small groups. Katie and Caitlin were together. Terry and a few of his pals were in the same group. Terry still held on to his shotgun. What made Katie look was Eric. The rich boy had three other boys around him. All four of them had handguns, and what’s that they’re wearing? Is that body armor?

Eric must’ve purchased that equipment. He might’ve even had the other three boys on his payroll. Money wouldn’t matter to Eric if he’s dead.

Fair enough. None of her concern.

“Where should we go?” Caitlin asked.

“Don’t ask me. I’m the muscle.” Katie waved her Glock. “You make the call and I’ll execute it. Honestly, we can just hide in the corner and wait for others to find the chips then take the chips from them.” She saw Caitlin glancing at her. “I’m just kidding!”

“We should go to the gym.” The blonde finally decided. “It’s larger, so the possibility that there are chips there is greater.”

Katie didn't disagree. The two started walking down the hall. It was class time, so the halls were empty except for the other participants of the game. There were a handful of teachers that subconsciously ignored the participants. If the participants didn't actively interact with the teachers, they wouldn’t be noticed.

When Katie reached the gym, a couple of PE classes were working out there. Katie and Caitlin simply navigated across the perimeter, checking every piece of floor on the way.

As they covered half the gym, a pair of students entered. One of them carried a shotgun. An old one, but still a shotgun.

“Hey, this room is taken!” Katie shouted as she walked up to confront them. She waved her Glock threateningly. Caitlin was about to walk up as well when Katie waved her hand and stopped her. As concerned as she was, she went back to looking for chips.

Katie was right in that she was the better muscle. Caitlin was better as the brain.

“Does it have your name on it?” One of the two students, a tall boy, didn't back down. Seeing Katie’s Glock, he waved his shotgun at Katie’s direction to counter.

“Are you seriously provoking me?” Katie smirked, almost in disbelief. She recognized the boy. He was a shy one. In fact, she was surprised that he had the guts to stand up to her. Experience really does change a person.

Normally, she would be more than happy to shoot him and get this over with, but what Caitlin told her rang in her mind. If she shot someone for a single threat, then where’s the end? “Get out of here.”

Katie thought she was being merciful, but the boy didn't think so.

“Who do you think you are, bitch? Do you think just because you’re a little good at playing these games, you’re above us all?”

“Alex!” The girl beside him warned. “Be careful.” She glanced at Katie with fear in her eyes. Katie returned a sweet smile.

That was when Alex suddenly raised his shotgun and pulled the trigger.

A wave of shrapnels flew over and hit Katie in the chest. The metals ripped through her jacket and pierced her chest, sending her smashing into the ground.

“Katie!” A distance away, Caitlin started running away with her pistol raised.

“Die, you bitch!” Alex turned toward Caitlin. His shotgun was ready to be fired again. There was only thirst for blood in his eyes. Days of fear has transformed him. He was fine physically, but mentally, he was broken. He saw both girls as a threat to his survival, and he was perfectly fine with eliminating them before they could threaten him.

Before he could pull the trigger, a gunshot rang out from closeby, and Alex felt an explosion of pain on his left leg.

Looking down, he saw a bloody hole. He was no longer able to grab onto his shotgun as he collapsed on the ground and screamed in pain.

Katie stood back up.

She was furious.

“You destroyed my jacket!” She screamed, examining her black jacket once again. “That’s my second favorite! Do you know how much I spent on this?” She left a part unsaid. Her most favorite jacket was destroyed by the undead at Isaac’s house. Fair enough. But what the hell is Alex? Getting attacked by him is like being bitten by a rat. It’s not exciting. It’s just annoying.

“Katie!” The girl with Alex finally recovered from the shock. Seeing her boyfriend on the ground, she immediately turned to Katie. “Please! I apologize for him!”

“Apologize?” Katie smirked and turned to Alex. “I’m sorry.” She raised her gun and shot Alex again. This time in his right leg. “I’m sorry again. There.”

The girl realized what Katie meant. It would take much more than a single sorry to undo what Alex did. Suddenly, she turned to Caitlin.

“Please, Caitlin! Alex is just under a lot of pressure! Please don’t kill him!”

Caitlin’s eyes were ice cold. Even she was burning inside. If Katie couldn’t heal, then she would be dead already, and Alex might’ve shot her too. Even now, Caitlin could understand getting shot by a wave of shrapnels didn't feel good. She didn't say a word to the girl. Instead, she turned around and went back to searching through the gym.

In other words, she told Katie to do whatever she wanted.

Sure, Alex is under a lot of fear, but isn’t that the same for everyone? That is no justification for what he did.

“Oh don’t worry. I’m not going to kill him.” Katie smirked before firing three more shots. Two landed on Alex’s two arms, and the third landed at between his legs. The boy’s screams turned louder than ever before Kate kicked him into the head and knocked him out. “There. See? I’m a merciful person. Now, get out of this gym.”

The girl, almost in tears, moved to drag the uncouncious Alex out.

As they were gone, Katie turned back around and found Caitlin standing among the class in the gym. Most of them, thanks to the curse, were unaware of what just happened. But one of the shrapnels Alex fired must’ve landed among the class, because a bloody body was on the ground.

Whatever. None of her problem.

That was what Katie thought until Caitlin knelt down beside the body and pulled out a piece of golden chip.

“Oh…”

40