Chapter 16: Good News and Bad News
1k 1 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eric. On the second day of the games, after Katie helped Caitlin live through the pain contest, Eric gave Katie $10,000 in exchange for her friendship.

Well, that gesture of friendship certainly didn't make sure Katie would die for him, but it built a good foundation. Katie wasn’t blind. She could see Eric’s potential. The man has money, and in this time of crisis, instead of throwing away that money on partying, he used them to put some other students on his payroll and arm them as much as possible.

If Katie was someone most of the class didn't want to mess with because she was a murderous, masochist maniac, then Eric was scary because he was a good strategist. More importantly, he was rich.

“Eric, what are you doing here?”

Eric smiled politely. His eyes lingered on Zach. He didn't remember the man being in the class, but he quickly turned his attention back to Katie.

“Katie. I’m not surprised you’re still alive.”

Katie sighed. She wasn’t in the mood for some verbal back and forth.

“Just say whatever you want.”

“I am here with a proposal.” He glanced at Katie and realized she made no objection. “Ever since the games started, we have never had a chance to fight back. Mr. Isaac was impervious, and the ways in which he killed us was untrackable and unstoppable.”

Katie rose her eyebrows.

“But this time, it’s different. My friends and I engaged the ball of goo...”

“Bravo!” Now Katie was truly impressed. Going head to head with the monster? This was something she would do.

“Thank you.” Eric’s answer was polite but not arrogant. “As I was saying, we engaged that ball of goo, and while bullets couldn’t kill it, they could stop it. We were forced to retreat because we didn't have enough guns, but with your help, we can effectively pin the goo down.”

“We still can’t kill it, but we can make sure it doesn’t kill another one of us for the rest of the time it’s active. It will be a slap to Isaac’s face.”

The man speaking was a tall, expressionless Asian. He looked like Eric’s lieutenant.

“Actually, we might have a way to kill it.”

The classmates turned to Zach, who raised Katie’s incendiary grenade. As he paced out the plan, Katie’s eyes darkened. She could see the look of respect on Caitlin’s eyes, and it hurt. Unlike the physical pain that she enjoyed, this was an agony that made her infuriated.


The pile of goo ventured across the hallway. It made its way past two unsuspecting teachers before suddenly sensing something.

Flesh. Warm, young flesh.

Across another corner, stood one Katie Lockwood.

“Come and get me you, well, I would call you son of a bitch but it’s a little overused, so...whatever just come and get me.”

The goo leaped forward. Judging from how it tricked its victims, it had decent intelligence. It was obvious Katie wouldn’t be fooled by its pretense, so it went for the kill.

Katie suddenly pulled out two Walther PK380s and started blasting off at the goo before backing up. The goo was slightly slowed down by the shots, but it persisted. At that rate, it would be on top of Katie in twenty seconds.

Taking a few steps back and glancing at the side once more, Katie suddenly shouted.

“Now!”

All of a sudden, two classroom doors on the side were opened. Eric and two of his men came out on one side. His lieutenant, Caitlin, and another Eric’s man was on the other. They simultaneously started shooting at the goo.

The goo was immediately held in place as hundreds of bullets pierced its body. Gunshots echoed through the hallway, but not a single student or teacher outside of the games heard it.

“That’s it! Keep it pinned down!” Even Eric was a little excited. After days of fear, it was no surprise that he took some pleasure in laying waste to one of Mr. Isaac’s underlings.

His men made sure to pace out their shots. Rather than pulling the trigger down blindly, they fired short bursts of accurate shots, most of which landed on the target. The recoil bashed down on the men’s shoulders, but it was acceptable.

“Reloading!” One student cried as he reloaded his weapon.

Gracie reached into her pocket and pulled out her incendiary grenade. She was about to pull the pin when the pile of goo suddenly screeched. Some of the classmates cringed in pain and stopped firing, and the goo used this chance to make a leap.

One of Eric’s men was the unfortunate victim. The goo latched onto his chest. A hissing sound appeared, followed by the teenager’s scream. His body armor merely prolonged the period of suffering.

“Keep a distance!” In the back, Zack screamed. The others were more than happy to comply, but as they moved, Katie saw the goo has already went through its first victim completely. Right now, it was getting ready for another move, and its target was Caitlin.

Katie knew bullets couldn’t stop it, so she reached inside her pocket and pulled out her dagger. Without any resistance, she threw it at the goo.

The goo practically ignored the dagger. After all, what would make the dagger any different from the hundreds of bullets poured onto it? But when the dagger made contact, the goo’s primitive intelligence realized its mistake.

The blade pinned the goo to the ground. Invisible energy scorched through the black presence. The creation that has slaughtered multiple teenagers with ease was trapped, and it was in pain.

That was the chance Katie needed. She pulled off the pin of the incendiary grenade and tossed it onto the goo before watching it explode into a sea of flames.

The black foul being screamed even louder. The double effect of the dagger and the incendiary grenade made its presence a living hell, and not the type where it was the tormentor. It was the tormented.

The screams continued. Most of the kill team frowned in discomfort, but Katie was smiling. She enjoyed seeing someone or something in pain as much as seeing herself in agony. She would enjoy it more if it was a sentient being in pain, but, ah well, life isn’t perfect.

She turned to Caitlin, ready to be thanked, but her expression changed when she saw her talking to Zach. She couldn’t help but walk over and listen to the conversation.

“If an incendiary grenade can kill the goo, then maybe it can do the same to Mr. Isaac?”

“Fire also worked on the undead that Mr.Isaac kept. It seems to have a good effect on dealing with whatever black magic Mr.Isaac is using.”

“Tell me about the day the game started again…”

Katie growled inside. She shouldn’t be annoyed. Why would she be annoyed? Caitlin and Zach are just talking about work. Once they’re done, Caitlin will come back to her, and the two could act like nothing has happened!

Quietly, she turned back to the goo, or what was left of it. After minutes of burning, it was finally put out of its misery. All that remained from it were the ashes. Katie walked over.

“Careful!” The lieutenant warned, but Katie ignored him. She knelt down beside the goo and pulled out her dagger.

The weapon was indeed impressive. Neither the corrosive substance nor the incendiary grenade made a dent on its metal body. While the goo burned, the blade stood tall. She quietly flipped the weapon in her hand, imagining what it would be like to stick it through Zach’s neck.

Wait...what am I thinking? Zach is not a threat! She made a promise to Caitlin to never kill anyone who doesn’t pose an imminent threat to her.

Killing Zach would be easy, but if she does that, she would have surrendered to her instincts. Today she could kill Caitlin’s friend out of jealousy. Tomorrow she could put a blade through Caitlin herself because of another trivial reason.

“It’s dead, right?” Eric’s lieutenant wondered.

It was more of a casual comment after minutes of thrill and fear, but Katie, the helpful girl that she was, answered it.

“Oh well, I don’t know. Maybe it’s being fried alive on purpose to deceive us?” Katie shrugged before suddenly stepping on the pile of black ashes, crushing them into dust.

“I take it we can go back to the classroom right now, but we should stay out here until the hour’s over, just in case.” Eric suggested. He was cautious, and rightfully so. Who knew would trickery Mr. Isaac would dream up next if they lowered their guards?

It turned out Mr. Isaac remained true to his words. The students waited in that hall for half an hour, switching people on guard. Katie kept on trying to talk to Caitlin, but she was disappointed to realize her friend was more interested in Zach.

Finally, the students returned to the classroom. The idea of Mr. Isaac raging out upon discovering how miserably his plan failed bought a smile onto Katie’s face. If he saw the newcomer Zach and decided to rip his head off, even better. If that happens, Katie promised she would offer a shoulder to lean on for Caitlin to shed her tears.

Mr. Isaac’s eyes glared at the students cruelly as they walked in. Katie returned an innocent smile before suddenly deciding to tap her pocket. That was where she kept her supernatural-being killing dagger.

It was a provocation.

Mr. Isaac tilted his head. That was normal...until his head reached a 90 degree angle with his neck. The sound of bones cracking brought a wider smile onto Katie’s face.

When all the students were seated, the teacher finally spoke.

“Congrats, students, for you have survived. Four of your classmates, on the other hand, weren’t so lucky.”

One of them was one of Eric’s men. Two others were the two who Katie used as body shields. Katie didn't know who the fourth one was, but she didn't really care.

When the games started, there were 18 students. Now, there were 14. 15. Counting Zach. Mr. Isaac didn't refer to Zach, but Katie knew he has become part of a game as well.

People were dropping like flies.

“Well, the good news is that, while you have been busying...learning, I have been working as well, and I have gotten quite the work done.”

Caitlin’s heart suddenly sank. What was Mr. Isaac up to now? This was a monster who keeps the bodies of his victims in his house and forges them into undead constantly demanding vengeance against everyone they knew. What could his idea of work be?

As if answering her question, a wave of noise suddenly appeared outside of the classroom.

“Someone call 911!”

“Mr. Stein just slit his own throat open with a pair of scissors!”

“Help!”

“Who knows CPR?”

“Shut up you dumbass! Does he looks like he’s having a cardiac arrest? Anyone’s got some tape?”

Katie suddenly grinned. He did it! He really did it! Finally! Mr. Isaac was no longer satisfied with a single class! He has spread whatever this is to the rest of the school! Well, it’s probably closer to a portion of it, but fuck it!

Hooray! Where’s the fun in working with a single class? They’re already down to 15 people! How many blood can 15, well, 13 not counting her and Caitlin, provide? Before long, it would just be her and Mr. Isaacs left, and before long, they would be at each other’s throat! Where’s the fun in that?

Wait! This is wrong...this is very wrong...I shouldn’t think this. A lot of people will die very painfully because o this, but...hahahahahahahaha! The sky is so blue! The sun is so bright! Life is so awesome!

Mr. Isaac, if you’re twenty years younger and a little more handsome, I might just kiss you!

Katie tried. She really did, but ultimately, she couldn’t prevent herself from making a small giggle, which sounded as obvious as possible in the silent room.

Most of the other classmates were paralyzed by what just happened. Even the cruellest of them was shaken at the thought of countless more sharing their fate. Katie’s more-than-strange response attracted the attention of all of them, but most of them ignored it. People like Eric and Terry simply didn't want to mess with Katie over something this small. Strangely, Kyle seemed to be agreeing with Katie’s reaction.

Except there was someone who didn't like what Katie said, and that was the one person not afraid to express it.

Caitlin stood up in her seat. She didn't even glance at Katie. Her eyes were trained on Mr. Isaac.

She could tolerate a lot of things from Katie. She accepted that she killed when necessary. She accepted that she enjoyed experiencing and causing pain. She accepted that she was provocative toward Zach for no reason at all. Hell she even accepted that she might have condemned two of their classmates to death.

But this was one thing she couldn’t accept.

The curse of Mr. Isaacs was spreading, and god knows how many people would be caught in this inescapable, limitless, and endless torment. God knows how many people would die after hours of torture. God knows how many of them would have their souls sealed inside their corpses, forever imprisoned by their killer. God knows how many of them would see everything they know and love evaporate into thin air.

Yet, Katie was giggling? Giggling?

This disregard of the suffering of others, this total lack of empathy, was something she could not tolerate from Katie.

“Mr. Isaacs, can we leave now?”

“Yes. You have the rest of the day to yourselves. After that, just make sure you’re back here tomorrow, or really bad things will happen.”

Caitlin picked up her bag and ran out the door without a word. Katie stood up, but after a few thoughts, she stood back down. Neither of them was in their best mood. Perhaps Caitlin just needed some time to rest and process what happened.

Sighing, she waited until the entire class left before standing back up and leaving the classroom.

She really needed a drink.

35