Chapter 1 – The Silver-Haired Girl
88 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1st Month of the Allos Calendar 1250

   

A flurry of wind blew across the thick sprawling branches of trees of the Redbark Forest. The atmosphere felt dreary while the silence brought in a sense of fear and desolation. Just like its name, every single trees in sight had a slight tinge of red in the exterior and if one decided to cut through its wooden husk, a natural deep crimson dye will trickle down. However, its eye-catching tincture were currently not visible in presence of the moon and its obscure shadows. Through the stillness that became increasingly unnerving if one was to stand in, a small group of steps could be heard, breaking through the inaudible sounds of the night.

"We... should've lost them from here."

A pair of figures emerged from the dense foliages of the forest and walked in a silent suit.

The young man behind took a fairly deep breath, sat limply upon the soft mound of soil and grasses, then exhaled, striving to regain the exhausted air from his lungs. Drops of sweat fell from his forehead, staining his greyish robes with dark speckles of dots.

"...We can't say for sure."

"...Right. But let me just take a rest for a moment. We'll go immediately after this." The other person before him- Simonne, creased his brows, contemplating, but eventually sighed. He too, sat at the ground with a thud. With a stretch, leaned upon a bark, and wiped the sweat off his forehead with his sleeves.

"..."

Simonne looked at him, then produced a sack of water from his knapsack and threw it in his direction. The young man- Kaiji, caught it mid-air then chugged its contents down, washing through his throat that had already grown dry overtime.

"You should've been tired now." Simonne said while looking at Kaiji. He also took a sack of water from his bag and brought it into his mouth. He wiped his mouth after finishing all of its contents and said, "Let's settle at the nearby village tomorrow."

Kaiji nodded at him in reply and, with a moment of hesitation, said, "Simonne."

The latter turned his eyes towards him, his brows pointing upwards. "What?"

Kaiji straightened himself to looked directly at Simonne who was leaning on a bark in front of him, but then suddenly shifted his gaze to the side, his face contorted in a rather awkward way- he seemed to be struggling to say something. Simonne already knew he was hesitating. Although it could be said that the two of them were traveling together, it also didn't mean that they were close. So he thought that he should just break the ice and said, "You kno-"

"What do you think?"

"..." Simonne was taken aback for a moment before he curled his brows. "About what?"

"About them. The Axiom Congregation."

His face instantly turned gloomy.

"..."

"Like, why must they all do this... things?

"..." Simonne sat there silently, his face blank. "...Only the Institution's upper echelons know."

-Axiom Congregation. The Congregation was one of the most influencial association in both of the prominent continents, along with the trifecta of empires. Its authority and territory could be said to be rivalling those of the three empires; respectively the Northwestern Empire of Sephite, Southwestern Empire of Gartren, and Eastern Empire of Fertrune- while the Axiom Congregation, although not officially annunciated, was unanimously considered as the fourth Empire in the northernmost land of Hierron.

The Congregation's territory in the continent of Hierron was consisted of three major kingdoms out of all seven, greatly surpassing the Empire of Sephite who only boasted two, not to mention the other two Empires that only have one on each other.

But the most significant thing the current Congregation possessed was its massive influence that extended all over the continents. The Axiom Congregation established countless churches to almost every capitals and towns to propagate its influence and interests to innumerable citizens and even nobles. Its might could be more or less dominating than other Empires if compared.

"But how are we supposed to live, now that the Congregation's hunting us?"

"You don't have to worry about that." Simonne replied. He seemed to be calm despite the circumstance. "The two of us aren't just the only victims. There, at the Institute, hundreds of people of whom bore hatred and resentment towards the Congregation were united as a group. We've already gathered enough resources, and so as long as you stay within our territory, the Congregation shouldn't be able to get you."

"And what if they attack?"

"The upper officials arranged several plans to take if that happened. There are several hidden branches of the Institute spreading all throughout the lands of Allos where we can take refuge in worst case scenario."

Kaiji nodded. "I see..."

  

  

  

---

    

   

"Someone's nearby.

"Where?"

"About 300 meters to the east. Two of them."

"..."

"Should we go?"

The figure nodded, as they both bolted along with a swift gust of wind, leaping past the dense undershrubs. A tinge of a silver flickered in the darkness.

   

    

    

---

   

     

   

"How long will it take before we make it there?" Kaiji asked, trying to catch up to Simonne's speed.

"It should be around a few weeks. We're not that far now."

"Alright."

The two of them ran through the forest's thick vegetation, sweeping their way across the verdant greens. Unfortunately, the steeds they've been riding since the beginning of their travel had already died at the hands of the Congregation's men. Facing that, they have no choice other than to use their feet to get through the nearest town to get another batch of horses to ride on. Poor steeds-

"Enemy!"

Simonne's abrupt shout made Kaiji stop in his tracks.

*Woosh*

An object, sharply cutting through the air, whistled past at the side of Kaiji's cheeks, making a shallow cut before he even realized. It made him subconsciously take a gulp in dread.

"We're surrounded!" Simonne reflexively reached out to his bow and opened the quiver strapped behind him. His eyes darted across the surroundings before saying, "There's only about eight of them. They must be only scouts." He gave Kaiji a look, particularly at the dagger hanging on his waist. "Find a place to hide."

He hesitated at first, but seeing the flying arrows directed toward them, he immediately changed his mind, then nodded. He couldn't, after all, fight someone with a bow using a dagger. Following Simonne's instructions, he hastened towards a rather shallow ravine where a large rock stood prominently and leaped behind it then crouched as another arrow whistled past his head again. Cold sweat began to drop down his forehead.

Simonne, on the other hand, was fairly composed compared to Kaiji. Although he would admit that he's a bit nervous on the inside, he still managed to keep his composure in front of a sudden ambush. After all, he'd already experienced several of instances like this one in the past- but none of those was good to remember. He had to say that being in a life-or-death struggle really makes him restless in the inside to the point that he turned derange because of even just one, small mistake in his part would cause him to not see the light of tomorrow.

*Woosh*

Several arrows flew past Simonne as he continuously dodged to sides and grabbed three arrows from his quiver. He judged that the location of the enemy's archers should be about a few dozens of meters at the front, based from where the arrows came. With that in mind, he nimbly placed the arrow on the bow, pulled the cord then quickly released at the same time.

---

Kaiji felt his hand grow cold and found his body trembling in fear. Despite the fact that the Congregation's been hunting them this past months, he had never actually personally experienced being in this kind of situation. Experiencing it for the first time really brought him in the verge of insanity.

But just then, a piercing scream of agony that tore throughout the silence of the forest, brought him back to himself. That familiar voice made him uncontrollably shudder.

"Simonne!"

Kaiji stuck his head out the rock, risking himself from the dangers of the arrows, then saw Simonne kneeling down the grass, his complexion as pale as sheet. An arrow was deeply lodged into one of his legs and crimson blood cascaded out from the frightening wound, staining his leather clothes. Both of his eyes were tightly shut and the gritting of his teeth made him look extremely miserable.

Kaiji wanted to run where Simonne was but that will mean that he would also be caught. That will render his sacrifice useless.

He clenched both of his fist as he think of something that he should do in this situation, and fast.

"Run!"

Simonne's shout brought him to his senses.

That's right. He should run. There was, after all, nothing he could do.

*Rustle*

Several figures ran out from the edge of the forest and immediately formed an arc-like formation in front of them in a practiced manner. They all wore the same distinct white robes with an embroidery of golden symbols at their chests. Almost all of them have wooden bows directed at Kaiji and Simonne's course while the remaining two men held long staffs, also pointing at them.

"Surrender now or else we won't hold back to you two!"

One of the leading men that held a long staff yelled at them, breaking the silence of the night.

Kaiji did not think of anything anymore as he ran towards Simonne, who was at the verge of losing his consciousness.

Seeing that, the men holding the staff did not hesitate, he waved his hands and gestured something towards Kaiji and Simonne. Then one of the archers pulled the cord of his bow then straightened its wooden body at Kaiji's direction.

Kaiji wasn't afraid anymore. There was no way he could get out of this place without his companion, Simonne, helping him. Thinking that he would just eventually die in the Congregation's hands, he thought that it might be better off to die with his companion who sacrificed himself for his sake. That's right, he couldn't do anything by himself after all. With that in mind, he slowly closed his eyes.

"Bang!"

"Bang!"

"Bang..."

The sudden bursts of explosions made Kaiji stumble back in shock and also brought violent ringings in his ears. He felt his head a bit dizzy for a while. And after the bursts began to fade away, he felt himself being at the threshold of unconsciousness. His eyes drooped down and his body gradually became feeble.

But before both his eyes sank into senselessness, he saw a figure, having a silver hair, standing not far away from him.

1