Chapter 6 – A Glimpse at the Gate
27 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Darkness. Everything was shrouded in a mantle of darkness. There was nothing, except for the freezing cold air and the frigid feeling of desolation.
  
Until the surroundings gradually unveiled a room. But everything was still vague. Blurry. Although he could now sense that there was now someone beside him, his mind seemed to be struggling to remember. A woman. A vague silhouette of a towering woman stood before him— no, carrying him. He felt small and tiny— like he was perceiving all the things at the scene as colossal. Massive.
    
Then the lustring purple light glimmered.
  
  
  
Everything changed again.
   
  
  
It was still dark, but he could now at least observe the place where he was currently in. Pitch black, deep blue and violet, diversed hues dappled the scene around him— like the horizon at night. Except that there was no stars.
  
*Thud*
   
He felt the smooth, polished cold floor touch the bottom of his feet.
   
It's odd, he thought to himself.
     
For some reason, the floor, at where he stood, was like a mirror that reflected the glowing colors on the scene back. But it's pretty cool, if I'd be honest, he thought. He then tried stepping forward. And made another one more step. Then slowly began to walk.

He walked. Walked for even he himself did not know how long. Strangely, he didn't felt tired.
  
And at long last. He arrived.
  
An enormous wall proudly stood before him, with an extensively long snaking gash at the center— no, it wouldn't be proper to call it a wall. That's right. It's a gate.
   
*Whoosh*
   
Suddenly, the glowing colors in the background, which were the only thing that served as light, started to flicker and distort in a violent manner.
   
Kaiji felt his body grew weird and began to emit a faint light. Then everything in sight began to move and warp in a twisting manner. His own body seemed to be the one causing this, even sucking in the space itself. Finally, all the colors merged inside his body, along with the darkening of the place because of the absence of light.
     
But even though the suction force was that immensely powerful, the gigantic gate still proudly stood before him, unharmed in any way.
     
*Grrlll*
     
But Kaiji felt that foreign energies inside his body was just too strong and began to rampantly riot inside him.
     
Until finally.
     
   
  
   
"Boom!"
   
  
  
   
   
---
  
  
  
  
  
Startled, Kaiji opened his eyes and woke up.
 
Realizing that he had just slept, he started to rub his eyes and yawned. This dream again, he thought to himself. Wait.
 
"Hm... is that a new dream?"

He didn't recognize the latter part of the dream but the beginning of it was something that he could not simply forget. It was because that it was incomparably similar to the dream that had always haunted him since he was about eight, or possibly below, when he still lived inside the church. Although, all of it stopped after he reached the age of nine. He never really cared after that.

He had once tried to investigate every single details of that whenever he dreamt, contemplated as to what it probably was. But everything was just too vague. He could not find any notable things in that dream other than piercing coldness and the person who carried him, which he came to conclude as one of his parents. Though he could not be sure—it also could just be his guardian or what.

'And as well as that purple thing.' he said in his mind.

That was the only vivid part on his dream. Everything will grew intensely bright and purple, and the dream just ends after that.

"Wait."

That person— boy, we've met in the forest might know something. He also seemed to have the same purple... sorcery, or whatever it is.

"Kaiji."

Simonne leaned at the opposite side of the seat and called for him. He furrowed his brows. "Are you alright?"

Kaiji was startled for a moment when he heard him call himself before he had finally realized everything. That's right. We've just departed from the village. We're at the carriage now.

"I'm fine." Kaiji smiled back to help him ease his worry.

"...Are you feeling guilty by killing someone?"

Kaiji was taken aback by the sudden question but still smiled. "I can't say I don't feel guilty about that. He... that person might have a family... friends who love him and definitely cared for him... But don't worry." His face turned serious. "I won't let myself be a burden."

Simonne sighed. "Well that's a relief." He paused for a moment before he turned at window. "I used to be like you when I made my first one too. I've even threw up right on the spot." He chuckled. "Glad you didn't threw up like me."

Kaiji also chuckled when he heard that. "I won't."

Simmone smiled back. "Good to hear."

"..." There was an awkward silence after that, but only lasted for a little while before Kaiji finally decided to ask Simonne about the boy they've met at the forest.

"...Do you have any ideas as to who might that person possibly be?"

"Who?" A few seconds later Simonne made an 'aah' sound in realization and said. "He's General Leonel Rotunus. One of the most well-known knight in the Empire of Sephite. Also called as the 'Iron Knight'."

"...I mean the boy... *sigh* But since you've said it anyways, yeah, what's with him?"

Simonne made a confused look after hearing the first line of Kaiji's reply but still continued.

"He was considered to be the most exalted warrior in the entire lands of the Phythe Kingdom. And even possibly the whole Empire of Sephite." He temporarily stopped for a moment. "He was especially known for his hard, almost iron-like body, and henced earned his title of 'The Iron Knight'. Although, it was only a rumor that came from the citizens. Even I don't dare believe such tale. But personally seeing it... oh well, we still have a lot of things to discover."

"But how did you know that it was him?" Kaiji asked. He doubted that Simonne had ever seen that knight in person before. And the person in said, never revealed them such a title when they stayed there for a day. So how?

"When he ran." Simonne simply said.

"Ran?"

"During one of his battle with the beastmen thugs in the village, he ran as though his forty pounds armor weighed nothing to him." Simonne explained. "That was also one of the rumors."

"Oh..."

2