Chapter 716: Council Decision
2.4k 8 79
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author's Corner: Thank you to Jon Overman for joining the Patreon!

Within the world of Lorek, there was a conference being held. This conference consisted of the major leading figures for both the worlds of Lorek and Spica both, the two worlds that were experiencing a drastically different flow of time from every other world. Several cultivators that had ascended to the rank of Supreme Immortal to become a god through the cultivation system were present in the meeting from both sides.

The topic for the day’s discussion was the large number of star beasts that appeared surrounding their two worlds as of late, many of which seemed capable of destroying entire countries on their own. These cultivation deities had been forced to engage in combat with many of the star beasts, but they alone could not protect an entire planet by themselves. Especially not one the size of Lorek.

“Has there been any word from Haslan, the God of Arrays?” One of the Spican deities questioned, looking to the local counterparts. However, he was met with a shake of their heads.

One dwarf that seemed to have fire licking over his hair let out a resigned sigh. “Not sense the flying islands were given permission to launch. That was a couple centuries ago, but he’s not yet returned.”

As one of the earliest gods of Lorek, Haslan had been granted one of the first flying islands to use as his base of operations, and had taken it out to explore the universe at his earliest opportunity. “Then, it is safe to assume that he has already fallen.” A Spican god spoke up in resignation. “That or he has no interest in returning to the mortal world.”

“Aye.” The dwarven God of Flame, or the Flame Immortal as he was called in Lorek, agreed. “We can seek help from the Citadel, but I think we’re in agreement that we have not fallen to that degree just yet.” His eyes roamed around the room, receiving nods of acknowledgement.

There was naturally going to be a downside to a world having such a drastically different flow of time from the rest of the world alliance, not to mention the difference in the metaphysical laws themselves. Assistance that could be readily provided on one side could scarcely be provided for the other, forcing individuals to create their own system to fend for themselves.

That was how this very council had been created over one hundred years ago. Though, to other worlds, that was an event from merely two years prior. Even still, the cultivation worlds of Lorek and Spica did grow at a remarkably slower pace than any other, with it taking centuries of training for new talented figures to rise to prominence.

“Well, then what are we going to do?” A Sword Immortal asked, her eyes closed as she leaned back against her chair. “We can’t ask outsiders for help, we don’t have the Array Immortal, and we can clearly not settle this matter on our own.”

“Let’s face it, we’re not stuck trudging through things with trial and error anymore.” A Spican representative spoke, his elven features furrowed. “We all know the path of cultivation, and most of us have established small sects to pass down our inheritance. Give it another century or two, and all of those sects will be able to produce their own immortals. But those beasts out there won’t wait that long. Right now, we need to figure out a method to repel them before it is too late.”

The Sword Immortal shook her head, a bitter smile on her face. “You’re not entirely right, Selas. They will wait, they’ll wait until we get a few more immortals among our ranks. At that point, the highest ranked star beasts will begin to descend all at once.”

Those within the room turned to look at the Sword Immortal in confusion, prompting her to open her blank white eyes. “Did all of you think that the energies within our atmospheres are unlimited? They may come from every star in the sky, but we only receive an infinitesimally small fraction of their power. Every cultivator we groom uses some of that power in order to grow.”

“To the star beasts outside of our world, our world is a buffet waiting for them. Some are content to feast on the energy remaining in the atmosphere, while others are blocked by it from descending and devouring our people. Once that energy is gone, both types of beasts will no longer have any reason to abstain from attacking us.”

“What are you suggesting, Mora?” The Flame immortal turned to look at the ursa who had spoken, raising his brow. “You can’t be suggesting that we stop cultivating our youths.”

“Of course not.” She chuckled bitterly. “Even if we did, the star beasts across the world would continue to grow. It seems as if we are stuck between the jaws of a beast, are we not? Yet, there is still a way for us to escape this dilemma.”

Accepting the protracted silence as a sign to continue, her lips tugged upwards. “Each and every one of you possesses your own universe within your inner sky. This universe has been birthed by the world itself, attuned with the laws you have mastered. Who among you is willing to use your own light as fuel for the next generation?”

Gasps rang throughout the room, some people jumping to their seats. The stars within one’s inner sky was sacred, containing not only their insights into the profound laws, but also the very essence of their energy. To share those with the world would directly result in weakening themselves.

Feeling the incredulous gazes of those around her, Mora let out a deep laugh. “That’s what I thought. All of you are so concerned with your own standing that you will promote the future generation in name, but not truly risk your all to see it through.”

“Ye’ll want ta watch yer words carefully, Mora.” The Flame Immortal grit his teeth, his dwarven accent slipping through in his race. “Not a soul here hasn’t put their life on the line ta protect their home, yerself included.”

“Have I touched a nerve, Sparky?” Mora asked with a knowing smile. “Tell me that I am wrong. That any of you would directly bestow others with your stars to use as their cultivation resources.”

“And what about you?” A representative of Spica questioned pointedly, staring straight at Mora. “I suppose it would only be a small matter for you to lead by example?”

“Obviously. In fact, I have already done so.” Her calm words drew another series of gasps from the group. “All of you must be familiar with the system of Subordinate Deities. Aside from our own world, it is something that every system uses. Is it not because of this very distinction in how we ascend, and our options in doing so, that we have taken to calling ourselves Immortals instead of Gods?”

“What’re ye gettin’ at, lass.” The Flame Immortal prompted, his hair starting to burn brighter. “We all know that ye can’t just give a star ta someone. It’s been tried, with rather explosive results.”

Mora nodded her head. “There are two reasons why it failed in the past. For the first round of trials, before the age of immortals, those who bequeathed a star upon another had yet to complete their inner universe. Their stars were unstable without their direct presence, and would shatter when brought away from their bodies without special powers.”

“Later, this was tried again, when an Earth Immortal wanted to help his friend cultivate. His friend was following the path of Kings, a rather strenuous path, and thus their progress was slower than normal. However, this process failed because the two had incompatible laws.”

“I have given thirteen of my own stars to my personal disciples, all of whom cultivate the same path of Swords that I have completed. They no longer want for the energy of the atmosphere, as they harness the power for their cultivation directly from the star that I have given. Not only does this stop the atmospheric energy from depleting, it also allows them to harness a more pure form of energy, increasing their cultivation speed.”

“Thirteen… Mora, you’re mad to have tested that on your own.” Another of the immortals said in shock. While each of their universes contained billions of stars, each one represented a permanent loss of power. At the same time, a failed test meant that loss would be wasted.

“Sometimes, the world needs more mad people. It’s my theory that those students of mine will become my own Subordinate Deities when the moment of their evolution comes. The stars I have planted within their inner sky will merge with their universe, and tie their power to my own. When that happens, not only will my efforts have paid off, but I will even receive a substantial increase in power.”

“In theory.” That same representative reminded her. “Besides, how are you even sure that the atmospheric energy is the cause of the star beasts becoming more and more active? Isn’t this all just more conjecture?”

Mora gave a small smile at that. “Actually, that’s the one part of this whole thing that I am sure of, without any shadows of doubt. Such an event has reportedly already happened before in the history of Lorek.”

The Flame Immortal looked over at Mora in shock and realization. “The Starfall…”

Mora nodded her head, though most of the gathered representatives looked confused. “In the ancient ruins of our world, scattered remnants of history can be seen. These remnants are from a long-forgotten civilization far more developed than our own. One where Supreme Immortals like us ruled the sea and sky alike.”

“And yet, they were destroyed, brought to ruin by a single, cataclysmic event known as the Starfall. So far, six different ruins that we have discovered referenced this event, including one as recent as six years ago under the direct supervision of my sect. If we piece together the context of these references, the picture is rather clear.”

“In ancient times, people cultivated far and wide, using the energy in the atmosphere as rapidly as it could be made available. They sculpted arrays to increase the efficiency, ensuring that not a single drop went to waste. However, because of this, they eventually became the source of their own downfall. Massive beasts emerged from the sky, descending on these sects and clans, ravaging them with the powers of the stars.”

“If we do not take up this method of mine, which I have taken to calling the Star Legacy, we will simply be following in the footsteps of these ancient people.”


“I’m sorry, what.” I blinked, hearing what was discussed in the meeting. “There wasn’t anything like that in the world’s actual history, right?” Looking around, neither Leowynn, Aurivy, Keliope, or Accalia could answer my question.

“Betcha I know who has the answer.” Keliope said with a small grin, glancing towards the hallway. Letting out a small sigh, I focused inwardly.

Tubrock? Got a Lorek question for you.

Aye? What’s the matter, lad? His response was prompt, though somewhat distracted.

What’s the meaning of the Starfall event that you left behind in those ruins you made? As each ruin was handcrafted by Tubrock himself, there was no way that he wouldn’t know what it was.

Starfall? Aye! It was just a cautionary tale ta scare the folks and stop them from tryin’ ta fly too close to the sun. Some mysterious event that wiped out the world, with just enough detail ta make sure nobody tried ta hog all the power for themselves.

I raised an eyebrow at Tubrock’s description. They’re currently taking it to mean that if they use too much of the world’s atmospheric energy, star beasts are going to descend and destroy them.

...Bollocks. He cursed. Well, I mean, they’re not wrong, but bollocks anyways. Lorek’s got a couple of those primordial artifacts buried in it, and Spica’s been broadcastin’ their position ‘cross the galaxy ever since they learned how ta reach space through the energy field. ‘Course they’re goin’ ta attract monsters.

I shook my head, sure that I had just heard wrong. Lorek has primordial artifacts buried in it?

Aye, ones holdin’ the domains of Lightnin’ and Frost, last I checked. First should be ‘neat a big mountain in the southwest hemisphere, surrounded by a constant storm, while the other is ‘round the north pole somewhere. Found ‘em when I was makin’ my runs and settin’ up the ruins.

I let out a faint sigh, bringing my palms up to slap my forehead. Next time… let me know about stuff like that when you find it, please...

79