Chapter 397: Return to the Meeting
5.7k 7 111
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Author's Corner: Thank you to Nathan Avery and Izaak Duarte for joining the Patreon!

Time passed at a snail’s pace as I waited, the world developing slowly around me. I was able to keep an eye on the happenings from within the Sky Citadel, using both my world sight and my mirrors.

Ana began teaching a small class at the research institute, her chosen subject being the fundamentals of enchantment. It was a rather popular class, once it was revealed that the teacher herself was a form of enchantment, many people coming purely to ask questions about her.

Legion was having a fairly smooth journey through space, only having to adjust their course to avoid impact with a large asteroid belt. There were no monsters within the vast void that saw fit to attack them, so the researchers continued to diligently collect their data, sending it back to their employers every time that they logged off. By my estimation, they should be arriving fairly soon to their destination.

That information was then taken by the companies, which were pouring over it to learn everything that they could. Already, they were getting new ideas for how to develop proper shielding for long distance voyages, or sustainable food supplies that could be sent with the transports.

Tsubaki was… well, to be honest, Tsubaki hadn’t been doing much different from what she had been doing recently. If there was anything that I had to say, it was that she was getting more familiar with her world spirit companion, training together with it. She still went to challenge the top rankers of each field at their own areas of expertise to learn and grow.

When it came to a fight, there were few that were able to stand up against her, having spent her entire, long life honing her combat skills. However, when she challenged a ranking craftsmen, things became different. Her skills as a crafter were far below her fighting abilities, and she ended up losing most of those challenges.

Nevertheless, she refused to be discouraged by such losses. When she found a dwarven smith that she seemed to admire, she even asked him to take her as an apprentice. Now… that was truly something to behold, the man looking like he was unsure what planet he even lived on. In the end, he refused her, believing that the servant of the Keeper should have only one master. Instead, he left her with some teachings for her to study and improve her skills, promising that she could challenge him again at any time.

Looking away from the game, there were also many developments happening within Fyor, as well. More and more teams had broken through the twentieth floor, making their way into the twenty-first where they had encountered the perpetual storm. Without many hostile creatures to be found on this floor, it could be regarded as a ‘safe’ place to set up a kingdom.

That is, if they were able to build in a way that the storm did not destroy it immediately. Their answer to this seemed to be to build mostly underground, away from the storm ravaging the surface. There was about a hundred meters of dirt and stone to dig through before they hit the dividing layer between floors. On the surface, they created domed structures around the entrances and exits to their underground civilization, including one around the gate itself.

The hardest part for this colonization process was finding a food source. Given the intense gravity and atmosphere of the floor, most of the plants were too difficult to cut through, while the hides of the various animals had similar developed to withstand the pressurized blades of wind that swept through the storm.

However, this problem was solved rather… unexpectedly. When they heard of the troubles on the twenty-first floor, Dawn immediately reached out to offer aid. While the Council was still worrying about protecting their own borders and thinking how they could take this new area under their control, Dawn sent food and water. The nineteenth layer had an abundance of both of these things, so it did not trouble them at all to provide the assistance.

With Dawn’s help, and a donation of a considerable amount of tidestones, they were able to create their own farms underground. Although it hasn’t been long enough yet to say for sure, it looked like they were going to be able to sustain themselves fairly well.

When the Council learned of Dawn’s intervention with the new floor, they were… unhappy, to say the least. It was to the point that I was wondering if a war was actually going to be sparked by generosity. Dawn didn’t ask for anything in return for their aid, or wait to see if the twenty-first floor had any valuable resources. They just started sending supplies as soon as they heard about the problems.

Seeing actions like that actually made me quite happy, since it was rare for a governing body to be so altruistic. Thankfully, the Council decided not to do anything about it, for the time being at least.

As I was thinking about that, and debating whether or not I should return to the Admin Room to look into Lorek and the other worlds, a message appeared in front of me, one that I had been waiting for for a while now. The message announcing the annual meeting between Keepers. I had long since made sure that everyone was prepared for this meeting, so I was not at all surprised when the world stopped around me.

Given the information that I had already told Tsubaki in regards to being a Keeper, I had struggled with whether or not I should bring her to this meeting as well, give her that last little push. In the end, I had decided against it, believing that it wasn’t time yet for her to see all of that. Instead, I returned to the Admin Room, and saw the gods and goddesses all lined up to wait for me.

“Oi, lad, we goin’ or not?” Tubrock asked with a wide grin, clearly excited for this meeting. I could see Aurivy and Accalia both bouncing on their heels, while Irena and Terra sported small smiles. Leowynn stepped out from my body, her misty form coalescing to stand next to her mother.

Ashley seemed… well, almost bored. When I noticed her looking around in disinterest, I couldn’t help but speak up. “You sure you want to come with us?”

“Hmm?” She blinked, looking in my direction. “Yeah, it’s fine. It’d be lonely if I stayed here alone anyways. Might as well go and hang out, right?” She tried to offer a smile at that, but I could see that she didn’t really feel it.

Everything alright? I asked mentally, deciding that it would be best for the conversation to be kept private at this point.

Yeah, I’m fine. Ashley assured me mentally, before I could almost hear a sigh in the back of her mind. I guess I’m just feeling homesick. Missing my old life, you know? It’s nothing to worry about. I know that there’s no going back, and I have plenty of friends here. I just tend to think about it at times, about all the people I used to know, and what they would have been doing by now.

I hesitated for a moment when I heard her explanation. In truth, I had only rarely given any thought to my life prior to becoming a Keeper. Whether it was friends or family, I didn’t really think about them much. To be honest, I didn’t think about them much even before, as I was in short supply of both. To me, my life truly started the day that I accidentally ran into the old Keeper.

Still, I could understand how it would be different for other people. For me, I was simply going from one day to the next in a life with neither purpose nor substance. But for Ashley, she was leading a team, making friends and largely enjoying her life. She was actually living, while I was just focusing on surviving from day to day.

If I can do anything to help, let me know. I whispered mentally to her, but saw her shaking her head.

It’s fine, Dale. It’ll just take a little while, but my head will clear up. It always does. After sending that, I saw a more genuine smile on her face as she tried to reassure me, leaving me to nod in response.

Aside from her, everyone seemed at least somewhat interested in the event. Even Tryval, who I figured to be the one least likely to want to attend, seemed to be in high spirits. As such, I didn’t waste any time, focusing on the option to attend the meeting with all those present.

Similar to last time, a glistening golden door appeared along a nearby wall, slowly opening up to reveal a marble white landscape beyond. Udona was the first to run through the portal, seeming determined to make up for her lack of attendance in the last annual meeting, with the rest of us following shortly behind her.

Once prompted, I again chose the same restrictions as last time to place on everyone. Simply being, that they weren’t able to discuss secrets about our worlds. And as I walked through the gate, I could see the bustling crowd filing in. Keepers of all shapes and sizes appearing through their own gates.

“Well!” Aurivy called out with a playful grin. “You know the deal! Irena?”

With a warm smile, Irena nodded, taking a step closer and linking her arm through mine. It seemed like I was going to be having another ‘surprise date’ today. Still, that wasn’t an unpleasant thought, and I gently grabbed her hand with mine, smiling towards her.

“I’ve got an appointment with Balu that I need to take care of first. We’re supposed to meet up at the restaurant.” When I said that, Irena’s eyes lit up, clearly remembering the meal that we had shared there last time, when she had gotten me to buy the ‘cooking methods’ for spiritual energy. Something that I should probably check up on in the future, see how it all turned out.

Irena quickly nodded her head, and everyone dispersed. As we did so, I sent messages to both Tryval and Irena. Whatever the two of you earn today can go towards getting your own worlds. I figure it’s about time everyone that wants one should get it.

I did not receive an immediate response back from Tryval, but Irena gave a gentle squeeze of my arm. “Don’t I already have my own world?” She asked in a soft voice. “I was the first one, and mine is connected to every other world through their afterlife.”

“This and that are two different things.” I said with a shake of my head. “The Underworld wasn’t a reward for you, but more like a job… I want to give you a reward, Irena.”

The goddess of death chuckled slightly when she heard that. “Maybe, but I’ve always considered it as my realm. So… instead, can I use the points I earn today to have special enhancements purchased for my realm?”

I glanced curiously towards her at that, wondering what sort of enhancements it was she wanted. However, she didn’t elaborate any further, so I shrugged. “If that’s what you want to spend your points on, then that’s fine.”  Though now I was even more curious what she had in mind.

Hearing my agreement, Irena’s smile grew just a touch wider, and we proceeded towards the buildings that seemed to manifest along our path. We walked past the games, the competitions, and saw the vast fields beyond. And just as we had almost left the ‘city’, the building we were looking for appeared before us.

“There you are!” I heard a familiar voice shouting from behind me, and saw Balu rushing over, waving an arm energetically. “I was wondering where it would crop up this time.” The small rabbit girl gave a twitch of her nose as she rushed past. “Let’s go find a good seat, Dale!”

111