15 – [Example and Punishment]
1.9k 13 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sat in my throne, fully decorated in my crown and ceremonial armor. I was waiting for my guards to bring a prisoner to be judged, the one from the events in the Smith's Guild a couple of days ago. I had elected to run my criminal cases much like the western part of my old world, but with some slight differences. A noble who was appointed by the crown from the offender's home country would be present to provide a defense plea for dismissal, similar in nature to a defense lawyer appointed by the government. In addition there would be a panel of nobles, again from the offender's home country and Brimstone to provide sentencing suggestions. Though the dwarven selections were the guild masters since we did not have noble bloodlines.

In this case, the presiding 'lawyer' was a Duke who had been appointed to be our ambassador by King Traisan. The man was respectable company and I suspect he would not work hard for the offender in this situation, given their differing views on the treatment and standing of commoners. And the sentencing suggestions were likely to be harsh as well since my investigations had uncovered that this particular offender and his family were not well-liked by many of the nobility in his country.

—————

Before long we heard the jangle of heavy chains as the man was brought in through a side door that led to our prison. His clothes and appearance were presentable given the fact we allowed him a change of clothes and a shave before the trial, but he was sickly pale and would not meet my gaze as he was walked to his chair next to the Duke. He muttered something to his 'lawyer' while the guards were locking his chains to the floor, which seemed to irritate the Duke since he snorted through his nose and looked away from him.

I thumped my hammer-ax against the floor to gather the attention of the hall before leaning it against the arm of my throne again.

"Today, we hear the case for Vortimer Gillam, a Marquis from the Traisan Kingdom. His defense shall be provided by Duke Lucan Escalibor, also of the Traisan Kingdom. Those hearing his case are myself, King Anwirn Gemmolder Brimstone,  three noble houses of the Traisan Kingdom and the Masters of the four guilds of Brimstone."

I nodded to the Duke and his fellows on the panel.

"You may begin Duke Lucan."

The man in question stood up and walked to the base of the stairs to my throne and looked between me and the panel before he started speaking.

"I shall make no excuses or claim any lies. The offender before us was warned by our King to not commit the very actions he stands accused of. Those being lèse-majesté against the crown, threats against the crown's people and disruption of officers of the crown. There is no defense for these actions that endangered the very fabric of the fledgling trust that was recently formed between our Kingdoms. I advise his Majesty and the panel that his actions should not be considered minor and his punishment should be heavy."

Not exactly a defense, but I wasn't expecting anyone to defend the man much given that even his own King told me I was free to decide the man's fate. I thumped my hammer-ax again before turning to the panel of nobles.

"What say the laws of the Traisan Kingdom in regards to these charges?"

One of the nobles, a Viscount I believe, stood to represent them.

"Your Majesty, two of these charges are punishable by forced servitude for a lifetime, those being the charges of his actions against the officers and people of the crown. But the third but most serious of the charges, that being lèse-majesté, carries the punishment of execution and the dissolution of the offender's noble linage. We humbly suggest that the offender be rendered a precedent from which those of his like might learn from."

I nodded to the Viscount as he returned to his seat before turning to the masters.

"What stance do the guilds take on this matter?"

Gowyr stood to answer as it was his guild that experienced this incident.

"The guilds only ask that an example be made to dissuade further instances that would impede our work."

I turned to the accused and signal to the guards nearby to have him helped to his feet.

"And what pleas does the offender wish to provide before my verdict?"

He finally looked me in the eye before he said his piece.

"Your majesty, I have no excuse for the actions I have committed. I only ask that my family be spared any punishment as my actions are mine alone."

Everyone in the room returned to their seats as I closed my eyes to consider my options, I had already pretty much come to my decision before this trial but hearing the input of the nobles and the accused had corrected my path forward slightly.

"I shall render the verdict. The accused shall be spared slavery and execution, but shall be barred from ever returning to the Mountain. This banishment shall extend through two generations of his family lineage and shall include any who enter the Mountain on the family's behalf during such a time. Anyone found to be in violation of this decree shall be punished with contractual servitude to the Brimstone Smith's guild for a period of 5 years."

I thumped my hammer-ax for the final time and the offender was removed from the chamber to be processed and released through the front gate, where last I heard some of his family had gathered to protest his execution. I leaned heavily on my palm and addressed the Duke who had remained to discuss Traisan's plans to handle these issues going forward.

"Tell me Lucan, was that harsh enough to achieve your need for an example without being needlessly cruel?"

"Some may see it as soft-hearted your majesty, but I approve. There will always be those who do not heed examples and bloodshed would just embolden them to use trickery from behind the curtain instead of in broad daylight."

The man shrugged and slouched into his seat.

"Now, about the Kingdom's future plans for such trickery should it come to pass."

42