29 – [Proclamation]
1.1k 9 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello all! Apologies for the extensive delay, pandemics combined with office reorganizations/renovations do not provide amply time or energy to sit down and write for the moderately lazy like myself. I did catch up on some enjoyable series however that have given me new ideas for future plot arks and world-building, so that's a plus! Anyway, on to the first new chapter in forever!

I sat before a fuming Emperor with my war allies at my sides, watching as the gears turned in his devious mind, likely thinking of political schemes to use to get out of the mess he found himself in. I cleared my throat to redirect his attention back to myself before continuing with the discussion.

"To more securely remind you of your current position I shall forgo using your previous title going forward when I address you, so I ask that you get used to responding when I simply use your first name. And I remind you, that you hold no recognized power or royal bearing before this war council so any slight caused by yourself or your subordinates will be met with swift execution as I am as short of patience as I am of stature."

I chuckled along with my fellow rulers at the joke combined with the grotesque contortions of rage passing across the former Emperor's face.

"Aelfric, I shall be honest. I alone could topple the forces standing by in your former capital, however that would lead to a rather severe loss of life that I would detest being the cause of. Make no mistake that I will if forced, however. So, to avoid this end I am inclined to provide you and yours amnesty from the war parties currently surrounding your city and personally escort you to be held, within decent quarters, in my capital until such time as the after-effects of this war have settled and these fine gentlemen can join me for a joint trial. Where we shall pass judgment on yourself and the surviving noble bloodlines of your country for their crimes against the various races and peoples of mankind. Reject this offer and I shall not hesitate to cut the head off the snake here and now, as I would willingly be known for having killed a party in negotiations if it means even one more innocent soul remains free of the suffering that would be caused should I let you walk free. As I am sure I could force your armies to capitulate rather easily if I approached the gates bearing only your head. I will give you a few moments to gather yourself and make your choice, know however that any movements away from your current seat will end your life the moment your muscles begin to even shift."

I maintained direct eye contact with the man as I slowly ran my left thumb over the jeweled pommel of my sword whilst my other hand tugged on my beard. All those present remained unnaturally still and silent for several minutes as the man in front of me shifted through several years of emotions in those same minutes. Meanwhile, the leaders next to me watched his entourage closely for any suspicious movements from them. And just as the man opened his mouth the answer I got one of the reactions I was hoping for, the former Duke could no longer contain himself.

"I will not stand by while you besmirch the royal and noble lineages of this Empire, dwarf! You will show the proper respect to your betters and negotiate in good faith as is designated in the previous treaties made previously by the nations that brought you to fight their war!"

The man moved to step forward while continuing.

"You are a mere Fey, what makes you think you can comma--"

He was cut short by the whistle of a blade through the air and the sound of flesh being cleanly separated. The former Duke's face shifted from enraged to shocked and finally to horror as his torso fell from his legs to meet the floor with a wet squelch. A faint application of Ether pressure caused him to pass out and die of heart failure almost at the same time. I now stood in front of my throne, my sword still sheathed at my side as my eyes remained on Aelfric while his brother died rather painlessly a single step from where he had previously been.

"I shall not repeat myself, I believe you were about to provide your answer Aelfric, am I correct?"

The room turned slightly chilly as even my allies showed slight nervousness at the death they just witnessed. The former Emperor took a moment to compose himself after managing to remove his gaze from the corpse nearby and return to mine.

"I... willingly defer myself to your clemency and ask that you safeguard my family in hopes that they survive the end of our reign. I will endeavor to encourage the remaining noble families of the capital to surrender themselves as well in hopes that my actions can engender leniency for those of my lineage."

I nodded to the man before gesturing to Oswallt to have him prepare a missive to the city that myself and Aelfric could sign. I had the Empire soldiers present detained until we determined their status and rank before we continued negotiating how the capital would be handed over in the most peaceful and calm way possible.

21