[Chapter 4] Information
24 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Steven lit a torch on the side of the wall and placed the AI cube onto the table. He filled a cup full of fresh water and took a sip.

"So, AI Cube, what should I do now?"

"Call me M1, that's how my creators called me. I would first like to ask you some questions, if that's okay."

"Oh, sure sure, that's fine," Steven said. "So what do you have to ask?"

"Well, usually when people like you see something blocking your way, you'd just levitate it into the air and put it somewhere else. Why didn't you do that?"

Steven blinked. "Wait a minute. Levitate? I can't do that. What do you mean levitate? I don't have magic."

"Then I see the issue. Here's some information you need to know. First of all, this is the planet of Peltin. It's a lush planet, full of flora and fauna. But these ruins, all over the landscape, those aren't abandoned current human settlements. Those are ancient human settlements, ones that could travel the stars and make technology that astounded even themselves. Now, they're left in ruins."

"Why are they left in ruins? if they were such a strong civilization, how did they perish?"

"I knew you were going to say that. Although they were mechanically and technologically powerful, they missed out on a crucial flaw. They forgot to put enough security on the controller of all of the civilization's nuclear power plant grid. So when someone hacked into it, nuclear meltdowns were everywhere, and the globe became choked in toxic fog. Now, they're all dead and the nuclear plants are still spewing gas. Now, let me tell you the demographics about the planets."

M1 spread out a large holographic map on the table, showing three particular planets. They all looked the same, except that some were either colored differently or had different names.

"The planet that I'm from is called Templar. It's a rougher planet, with more mountains than water, so life is naturally tougher there. Despite the name, the planet isn't very temperate at all. Sometimes it gets scorching hot, sometimes it gets freezing cold. These new humans, that you'll probably see later, has magic in them. When they used the machines and ships from the previous civilization to get over here, they wanted to take all the sweet ancient technology for themselves, and proceeded to set up base and sell some of the goods for extremely jacked up prices. They are currently, the most powerful nation thanks to this technology, not like they can understand it."

"How can they use a space ship and not understand it? How behind are these people?"

"The machines that they found in the old ruins that were still in good shape had pretty simple instructions, so they got here really easily. And answering the question on their technological advance, even gunpowder is a secret of the Fenden Nation. That's the one on Templar by the way."

"You seem like a really useful robot. Why did they throw you away, and why were you being sold anyways?", asked Steven.

"Ha! They realized that I was a continuously learning AI, and best comes to worst, they chuck me off the ship because they think I'll take over the galaxy or something. As for the selling, the new people saw us AI's as guidance machines in basically every aspect. Guiding, psychology, farming, temperature control, you name it. "

"Oh. Well, can you tell me more about the planet I'm on?"

"Yes, you are on Peltin, a relatively lush planet that still suffers from toxic fallout. There are several dozen settlements, and all the planet's inhabitants can use magic. This type of magic here is attack and passive magic. What I mean by that is that you can attack people with it, or you can use it to aid your daily life. Because of this magic, people don't usually use technology very much. The technological age of this planet is steampunk, with the latest tech being airships and gear waterwheels. The best weapons here are simply flintlock pistols and rifles, and these are highly praised as the weapons of the gods. Now, in order to survive here, you need to understand you."

"How can I understand myself? I am me. I know me best out of almost everyone!"

"Really?", asked M1. "Let me ask you something. You aren't from around here are you?"

"Huh?"

"More so, It seems like you landed here by accident. Now tell me, how did you get here?"

"Well, I was on a ship built by a company called the Enterprise, and one time, while I was sleeping on a couch, I suddenly woke up in a drop pod crash, the pod shattered to scrap. Do you know a company called the Enterprise?"

"I do not," said M1. "All I do know is that you are not from this system, nor from this galaxy. Rather, you may be from an alternate universe! No one in the current age can build space faring ships like the one you once slept upon, so you are clearly an outsider. It's most plausible that your ship hit an undetected wormhole that warped your ship pretty badly. Your ship couldn't handle the strain, you and maybe your crew mates were put into escape pods, and your ship exploded into a billion pieces. That's my hypothesis."

"That is... a pretty good explanation."

"Yes," M1 continued. "And not only that, for you to hit a planet so close, there's a big chance that your ship may collide into other ships, causing a hailstorm of materials and ship chunks to come your way. But I guess more material is good news."

"Are you done speaking?", asked Steven.

"Done speaking? Ha! I never stay silent for long. I still have plenty of useful information. Like the fact that you landed and set up a base on one of the roads connecting two kingdoms that often trade with each other, so the fact that you landed in between them will probably make them angry, as they may think you merely want to tax the hell out of their trade caravans. Do you have any run-ins with the folk here?"

"Well, I . . . uh, got attacked by a tribal man, whom which I clubbed to death with a piece of wood."

"Excellent! You defended yourself! If the west has a tribal kingdom, the east probably has a steampunk kingdom, so they could harness each others strengths of animals and technology, respectively."

"And that means?"

"You'll probably have a heck of a lot of enemies."

2