Chapter 16: Underground Part 1
4.4k 19 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked into the alleyway to find an untidy looking dwarf beckoning me over. He seems extremely shady, but I decided to approach him anyways. Upon seeing me approach, his mouth broke into a smile, seeming to be an attempt of a sign of friendliness. This, however, backfired as the smile revealed two rows of uneven, yellowish teeth, making him look much more sinister than before. 

When I got closer, he began speaking without any prompt from me.

Suspicious-looking Dwarf: {I guess you wouldn't know what cash is since you just arrived in this city. Cash is very useful. You can use it to buy the mana-infused water that you need to move or different parts to upgrade yourself to become stronger.}

He elbowed my metallic body lightly: {That's the dream of every autonomous golem, right? To become the strongest?}

He decided to target me because I just arrived to this city? He even thinks that I am naïve enough to not know what cash is. My suspicion kept growing, but I wanted to find out more about this money-making scheme before deciding on what to do. 

I asked him curiously: {What do I have to do?} 

The Dwarf seemed to be delighted at my question and answered: {All you have to do is fight other golems. You will be able to earn a lot of money, way faster than you would with hard labour.}

He had my curiosity, but now he has my attention. If he was planning to use me to transport drugs around the cities, I would have reported him straight to the authorities and be done with it. But an underground fighting ring, on the other hand, would be an interesting experience for me. 

To be honest, I'm not really impressed with the fighting capabilities of this world's humans, which according to Carl, includes typical humans, dwarfs and beast men. Sure, the Hero managed to land a hit on me, but it was only because I was distracted. I don't know how overpowered God reincarnated me to be, but that Hero can't be the limit of humans' power, right? Maybe, just like in my previous world, their greatest strength comes from the weapon they can create. And in this world, one of the weapons humanoids can create are golems. Thus, joining this fighting ring would give me a glimpse of the true power of humanoids.

Also, I am totally not feeling competitive with the other golems, since it is a fact that I am better than them. I just wanted to teach them who is the boss. But that wasn't an important reason, really...

Me: {What if I lose? Will we be fighting to our deaths?}

Dwarf: {Of course not! Even if you lose, you will still get paid!}

Wow! This totally legit deal is getting better every second! 

I quickly asked him with faked excitement: {How do I sign up?}

He took out a shabby looking piece of paper: {All you have to do is sign this contract. Since you don't have hands, just give me the word and I can help you to sign it.}

Helping someone else to sign a contract doesn't sound legal, but maybe this world has different laws. I do sense a slight amount of magic radiating from the paper.

Me: {Can I take a look at it first?}

The dwarf's friendly expression faltered for a second before he forced himself into making a smile: {Sure!}

He showed me what was written on the paper. It consist mostly of rules such as keeping quiet about the fighting ring. It just so happens that his hands were positioned over the bottom portion of the paper, blocking whatever was written on it.

Me: {I just realized that I can't understand what is written on the paper, can you read it for me please?}

The dwarf looked relieved as he turned the paper to face back towards him.

(Third Person View.)

[Third Person View has been activated.]

I adjusted my view until I could see over his shoulder. The bottom portion of the contract was finally revealed: If the participant gets killed during a fight, the organizers cannot be held accountable. Wow, harsh.

The dwarf read everything except the part about being killed. He probably just so happened to leave it out on accident though.

Me: {That's all?}

Dwarf: {Yes.}

Welp, I gave him a chance.

Me: {Please help me sign it.}

The dwarf was overjoyed: {Right away!}

He signed on the contract which spiked in magic power for a second before returning to normal. He then stashed it into his pockets and instructed me to follow him. 

We went deeper into the alley before the dwarf suddenly came to a stop. He walked up to a seemingly normal wall and began tapping on it. After a while, the wall began to slide inwards with a scraping noise.

(A Secret Entrance!)

This was getting rather exciting. We went through the entrance which was at least twice my height and width. Immediately in front of the entrance, there was a long flight of stairs. Other than the sunlight entering through the entrance, the stairs were dimly lit by torches on the wall which were spaced far apart, leaving huge gaps of darkness in between them. Scraping noise echoed through the long tunnel as the entrance was closed shut by two dwarfs.

I jerked up and down repeatedly as I traversed down the stairs, but since my tires were made out of rubber, I didn't make that much noise. 

I took a look at my surroundings and found that one of the dwarf from the entrance was following us down the stairs. The dwarfs seemed to be familiar with the stairs as they did not trip or stumble once despite the lack of lighting, at least, that's what I'm hoping for. I'm seriously hoping that they do not have night vision or something like that. Ugh, when can my appraisal display their skills. Utilizing one of the dark gaps in between the torches, I summoned two of my drones.

(Inventory)

Drone 1 and 2 popped out of my inventory and immediately went into stealth. They then proceeded to dash upwards, only stopping when their rotor blades are almost touching the ceiling. Immediately, the dwarf behind me started looking around sharply as if he had noticed something.

Please don't notice my drones!

After a while, the dwarf shrugged and continued following me. Phew, that was close. My plan could have been ruined if he had noticed them. My drones maintained their position as I continued down the stairs.

At the bottom of the stairs, we were met with a solid iron door. The door was pulled inwards by two more dwarfs, making a loud creaking sound. Behind the door was a large room with six more iron doors. I could see multiple dwarves sitting around a table playing cards.

The iron doors were distributed equally with three on each side of the wall. I could see a long hallway located at the opposite end of the room with a portcullis iron gate that leads to an open area. The dwarf led me to the furthest iron door on the right and, together with another dwarf, pulled it open. 

Me: {Oi, what's this?}

The room was bare, and there wasn't even a single light source! They can't be forcing me to stay in there, right?

Dwarf: {Get in there. We will open the door at 8:45pm, and your match will start at 9:00pm.}

Tsk, his tone had completely changed from a friendly and delighted tone to a more rude and commanding tone. The rest of the dwarfs, who were playing cards, immediately stopped and pulled out sledge hammers from behind their backs and walked to his side.

Me: {What is the meaning of this?}

Dwarf: {If you know what is good for you, you will get inside the room.}

The dwarfs brandished their hammers and glared at me. Dwarfs, although shorter than the average human, were often more muscular and had menacing beards. A few of them wielding sledge hammers is probably even capable of intimidating veteran warriors. At least, I think they could. Wow, I don't have much contact with humans other than Carl and those at the Ter Leaf village, do I? 

Unfortunately for them, I am an attack helicopter. Let alone the fact that the sledge hammers would slightly dent me at most, I am, in fact, around 3 times their height. A single 《Charge》 attack from me would probably send them flying and give them serious injuries. Equipping sledge hammers aren't going to save them. 

I wasn't scared in the slightest. Instead, I was curious about the source of their misplaced confidence, and fortunately, the first dwarf soon revealed the answer.

Dwarf: {Kukuku, these hammers are enchanted with Giant Slaying magic. If you didn't know, this enchantment multiplies the damage dealt against larger enemies. I suggest that you obediently enter the room like the trash that you are. You do want to be able to fight in your peak condition, after all. Kukuku!}

Hearing the dwarf's threat, I started seething in fury.

(Is this what they call a minor villain? Who even laughs like that? Does he want to die?!)

For the sake of participating in the fighting ring, I resisted the urge to teach him a lesson and entered the room. The door is quickly slammed shut, followed by metallic clinking sounds resounding from the other side of the door. I tried pushing the door but it didn't even budge. I was now locked in a dark room alone. Spooky.

(Fire Magic: Illuminate)

A basic Level 1 Fire spell, it created a small, floating ball of fire which gave the room an orange tinge. The light wasn't especially bright, but it was enough to reveal my surroundings. 

(Wow, this room is completely bare.)

Those were my first thoughts. This room was large but it had no furniture, and upon closer inspection, I noticed that the room doesn't even contain any drains or air vents. I chilled in there for a while before realizing something.

(This room... It's built specifically for golems?)

Only golems are able to live in this sort of room. Those dwarfs, did they design an entire facility just to kill golems? I was still simmering with anger, so the realization nearly made me blow my lid. However, I soon realized that something was strange.

(Why am I so angry?)

I didn't even know any other autonomous golem! For all I know, they could be mass murderers bent on the destruction of humanity! I forced myself to calm down, soon realizing that my temper seems to have worsen ever since becoming an attack helicopter. Is it because I now have the power to act out on my emotions? Am I this sort of person? Also, am I not jumping to conclusion. There are probably plenty of other races in this world that can live in this sort of room. I felt consoled at this thought, then felt slightly depressed from feeling consoled at that thought.

After escaping from those depressing thoughts a minute later, I decided to train my magic while waiting for night to fall. Despite frequently using my magic in combat, I have neglected training my magic despite of it's usefulness. However, I still managed to learn some spell while leveling up my magic naturally.

(Fireball)

(Water Ball)

(Rock Needle)

(Wind Blade)

[Casting of Wind Blade has failed!]

I directed my attacks at the iron door. Again and again, the magic spells collided with the door. It seems like casting three spells at once is my current limit. The door started shuddering from the impact of my spells, but to my disappointment, there was no permanent damage.

Random Dwarf: {Oi! Quiet down in there!}

I ignored the dwarf and used a Level 4 Fire Magic Spell on the door, 《Flame Burst》. Immediately, a glowing red magic circle appeared in front of me and within a few seconds, flames exploded forth from it. The flames engulfed the iron door before disappearing anticlimactically without leaving a trace.

{Eh? Is that it?}

Sure, it looks cool as heck, but the destructive power is not as high as I had imagined. Have I been spoilt by the firepower of my modern day weaponry? But I suppose calling them modern day weaponry is wrong, isn't it?

Even worse, I found myself incapable of using any other spells at the same time while using 《Flame Burst》. Still, I continued attacking the iron door with a burning passion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dwarf: {What the heck is going on in there?}

One of the iron doors has been shuddering non-stop for half an hour, which was probably due to a golem trying to escape. The dwarfs had been ignoring it for quite some time, expecting the golem to eventually stop. However, there were no signs of the golem stopping it's attack. Rather, the attack seems to have intensified as the shuddering got more and more violent. Finally one of the dwarfs had enough.

Dwarf 1: {I will give him what for!}

The dwarf prepared his sledge hammer and walked towards the shuddering door. He placed his hand on the lock before immediately retracting his arm.

The dwarf reared back in pain and screamed loudly: {ARGH! HOT!}

The rest of the dwarfs stopped playing their cards to stare at the dwarf with unamused expressions.

Dwarf 2: {Very funny. Just shut the golem up.}

Dwarf 1: {The door is burning hot!}

Dwarf 3: {Why would the door be hot? Golems barely produce any heat, let alone enough heat to burn your hand. At least come up with something reasonable.}

One of the dwarf suddenly stood up, walked over to the iron door and touched the lock. Everyone looked at him with bated breath, silent in anticipation. The dwarf touched the lock with the back of his hand, then turned around and smacked the first dwarf in the back of his head.

Dwarf 4: {Stop joking.}

The rest of the dwarf burst into laughter.

Dwarf 3: {You just wanted a reason to hit him, didn't you?}

The first dwarf rubbed his head and touched the lock again only to yelp in pain: {What do you mean?! The door is so hot!}

Dwarf 4 rolled his eye: {Just say that you want someone else to shut the golem up, coward.}

Dwarf 1 gave Dwarf 4 an indignant expression as Dwarf 4 began unlocking the door. He was about to pull the door open when he suddenly released the door.

Dwarf 4: {The door suddenly increased in temperature!}

The rest of the dwarf killed the smile on their faces and immediately readied their sledge hammers, which annoyed Dwarf 1 since they did not react the same way to his words, but he was just newcomer so what could he do? Dwarf 4 braced himself and pulled the door open, only to find an inactive golem sitting in the corner. Even though it wasn't moving, the dwarfs felt a slight sense of dread from looking at it.

Dwarf 2 asked nervously: {Why isn't he moving? Did he run out of fuel?}

Dwarf 3 hid his fear by putting on a mask of confidence: {Bah! Just refuel him when the time comes. Damn it! I was about to win the match too.}

Being too cautious of the golem, none of them noticed the disfigured door as it was slammed shut once again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phew, that was close!

I was too engrossed in trying to destroy the iron door that I forgot my main purpose of coming here. Thankfully, I managed to distract all of them from the door with 《Intimidation》 set to the lowest output. Now that that's done with, I looked at the notifications I received while training.

[Magic Manipulation has leveled up from Level 5 to Level 6.]

[Magic Manipulation has leveled up from Level 6 to Level 7.]

Not only has my 《Magic Manipulation》 skill leveled up twice, all of my individual magic types have also leveled up at least 2 times. Earth magic is now Level 6, while Fire and Water Magic are now Level 7. My most used magic, Wind Magic, is now Level 8.

Satisfied by my progress, I decided to check my status.

(Open Status)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Name: Bell AH-1 Cobra Level 14/40 (Level 11 > Level 14) Experience: 802/1200

Type: Intelligent, Evolving Weapon/ Golem
Hp: 4550/4550 (+7) (+150, Level 11> Level 14)
Mp: 595/1210 (+30, Level 11> Level 14)

Attack Power: 1376           

Magic Power: 564                

Agility: 792

Defence: 205                       

Charisma: ∞

Weaponry: M134 Minigun (+1) (Overheat: 0%), M129 40mm Grenade Launcher (Upgradable), Two M158 Rocket Launcher (+1), [Additional Weapons can be unlocked for 20 Heli Points.] 
Ammunition: 6722/Nil (2×7.62mm bullets), 95/Nil (40×53mm grenade), 38/38 (76 in storage) (2.75 in (70 mm) rockets)

Heli Points: 0 points

Skills: 3D Maneuvering (Flight) Lvl 2, Lock-on System Lvl 1, Thread Technique: Glittering Hook Lvl 2, Physical Enhancement Lvl 4, Driving Lvl 2, Rest Lvl 3, Presence Detection Lvl 6 , Stealth Lvl 9, Free View (Third Person View), Increased MP Recovery Lvl 8, Bomb Rack Lvl 4 ( 1 Water 100 lb bomb, 100 lb/900 lb), Mental Fortitude Lvl 2, Magic Manipulation Lvl 7 (Leveled up!), Language Knowledge, Increased Projectile Damage Lvl 5 (Leveled up!), Inventory Lvl 1, Flash Lvl 1, Appraisal Lvl 5, Charge Lvl 4, Radar Lvl 5, Camouflage Lvl 5, Intimidation Lvl 1, Health Regeneration Lvl 2 (Leveled up!), Dance Lvl 8,  Spawn Minion Lvl 1 (New!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My mana reserve was getting pretty low so I decided to end my training at that point. Now, all I could do was wait for the dwarves to call me out for battle. I double checked my ammunitions and stats to ensure that I was in peak condition. Finally, after a long wait, the sound of the iron door being unlocked could be heard.

 

 

 

 

 

 

60