Chapter 68: Location of the Alpha
104 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Jay stood once more atop the western wall he was momentarily dazed. He couldn’t help thinking back to all the things that had happened. Was the Iceborne King also reincarnated? What about Jake? 

 

Did the others know about the calamity that would happen in 5 years from now? Or perhaps they had already overcome it in their past lives.

 

While Jay was standing on the walls reflecting on what he had just heard, the betas kept coming forward. Right now some betas had even managed to fully climb atop the wall at what point only the nameless princess could swiftly dispose of them.

 

At this point, the other mages were also using large amount of mana to keep the soldiers from being overrun.

 

As for Geralt, he was still standing atop a rock below the walls, it wasn’t that he didn’t want to find the alphas but more that at the moment he was incapable of doing this. 

 

The walls were already nearly being overrun with soldiers from the east having to reinforce, if he went down now to look for an alpha and didn’t find one within a few minutes the walls would surely be overrun and once this happened, he had no idea how they would be able to push the betas back.

 

While Jay was still standing on the wall dazed, another beta managed to pass by the defenses. Said beta was scaling the wall just below Jay. When this happened one of the mages noticed and hence they shot out an earthen arrow, but this arrow was only able to barely penetrate the shell, not hampering its movements one bit.

 

As long as it didn’t die a beta would keep going forward, following the scent. It didn’t fear death nor did it stop to rest. Its only goal in life was to follow the smell.

 

Jay only managed to get his mind back to the situation when the beta simply lunged at him, using its pincers to slash wildly. The first pincer to arrive was the one on the right side, faced with such a fast attack the distracted warrior was unable to completely dodge and the sharp pincer managed to slash at his temple, leaving a slash along the side of Jay’s head.

 

Faced with this pain, Jay finally noticed what was truly going on. Betas were making it atop the walls left and right, wounding his men.

 

WIthout unsheathing his sword, Jay kicked the beta right on its shell. Even if he couldn’t break it in this way, the creature immediately shot backward a few meters, falling off of the walls.

 

Once this was done, Jay promptly jumped forward and with a now unsheathed sword, he landed right atop the beta he had previously kicked.

 

When he jumped in the middle of a dozen betas most of them surprisingly ignored him just as they ignored Geralt and Green as only a few of the betas made their way towards him.

 

“Give me the seeds!”

 

Yelling this line, he directly jumped over the betas making his way towards Geralt who was only a few meters away from him at this point. Geralt didn’t reply as he promptly threw the package towards him, before turning around and thrusting his spear into another beta, killing it promptly.

 

After receiving the seeds, Jay immediately went for the edge. The ‘path’ leading up was very far down from this direction hence there weren’t many protruding rocks he could safely jump to. 

 

After half a second of consideration, he settled on one 5 meters down. As a Tier 1 warrior, he shouldn’t get wounded from such a drop while it was possible the alphas considered those areas as safe, hence he directly chose this rock that was about a meter by a meter in size.

 

Yet oftentimes things aren’t how you expect them to be. When Jay dropped onto this rock, a loud cracking could be heard as the rock directly broke sending Jay tumbling down the side of the mountain. 

 

Flat-head mountain could truly be called massive, moreover, the sides weren’t exactly straight with protruding rocks everywhere. It was these rocks that both saved Jay’s life and wounded him severely.

 

Thanks to the jagged rocks, his fall would often be broken, slamming his legs against one of these rocks didn’t only break them but it also caused his momentum to lessen. Another thing that helped with this were the betas. Since they didn’t have eyes they couldn’t see him coming and he smashed against a bunch of these on his way down.

 

As soon as Jay hit the flat ground he spat out a large amount of blood. He had broken both of his legs, his left arm, and half a dozen ribs while falling down, said ribs also caused internal bleeding.

 

Below him was a small mountain of 10 betas, each of them had been hit off the mountain when Jay bumped into them, dying when they hit the floor. It looked like Jay had gotten really lucky at the end. Each of these 10 betas was dead, with their shells chattered. 

 

Some of these were only shattered at the end while some midway falling, this is where his luck came into play. He had actually fallen into a beta whose carapace was broken mid-fall, landing in the squishy yet slimy inside. 

 

After a moment each of these betas had disintegrated, leaving only small life force crystals behind. Despite this, the slime on Jay’s body didn’t disappear. His clothes were mostly shredded and many of his bones had broken, making his survival chances here abysmal.

 

Jay closed his eyes as he knew that within a few moments he would surely get attacked by hundreds of betas, a situation where there was no chance of survival in his current condition.

 

Yet a moment passed, and then another one did. When a full minute had passed the wounded warrior opened his eyes to look around. There were indeed betas all around him, but they simply ignored him, climbing up the mountain.

 

After a few seconds, Jay managed to sit up, allowing him to take the situation in more clearly. 

 

The betas truly were ignoring him, a few that looked like they were coming straight for him, swerved when they got close, heading up the mountain.

 

Seeing this, he felt stupified, yet when he fully turned his head he was even more so. In a crevice within the mountain sat a dozen alphas just casually sitting down, not doing anything.

 

These boar-like creatures looked like they were actually conversing with each other as they sat in a half-circle.

 

Jay immediately put his head down as he hoped these creatures wouldn’t notice him. After all, these beings had eyes and whatever it was that caused the betas to be unable to see him, it probably didn’t work on these creatures that actually had eyes.

4