Chapter 4 Class Selection
4k 11 82
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My eyes fluttered open and were immediately greeted by the sight of golden sand pressed against my face. I let out a groan and pushed my self up. I sat back on my heels and quickly brushed the sand from my hands. I had the strangest dream, I thought to my self as I brought my hands up to my face only to freeze at the sight of pitch-black flesh. I tenderly touched the back of my hand was surprised that my skin felt like pen ink. Even in the bright light, my flesh absorbed every ray of light that shone down on me. "I guess that wasn't a dream then, huh," I muttered under my breath as I stood up and quickly brushed the sand off my nude form. Not even the sand particles blemished my void like flesh. After flicking off the last of the sand particles, my mind finally caught up to me and realized I was naked, and I felt embarrassment start to course through my body. "Shit," I yelled out as I reach down to cover my manhood to only realize that did not exist either, in fact, my entire pubic area looked as if it was fresh off of a Ken doll.

I dropped my hand back down and spun my head, trying to take stock of my surroundings. All around me stood trees that held thousands of shades of green. I heard birds chirping in the distance and the sound of waves crashing against a shore. I closed my eyes and felt the fresh sea touched air caress my face, then suddenly, as quickly as the noise started it stopped, and was replaced by the sound of gravel crunching underfoot. I quickly spun to the source and saw a rather tall and lanky figure coming out of the woods, meandering in my direction. "Who are you?" I called out to the character as I started to backpedal.

"Why hello old sport, my name is Athurias Valman and its a pleasure to make your acquaintance." The figure spoke with a slight British accent and stepped into the sunlight, revealing short-cropped red hair and a thin, almost emaciated form. "Might I ask what this new Administrators name is?"

I took another step back slightly on edge that he knows what I am. "Kairos," I replied to him as I took another step back, only realizing that a wall of trees seemed to appear closer behind me, blocking off any escape.

"Now old sport, it's rude to not tell a fella his last name when he has given his." He took another step closer, and I could see a light dusting of freckles across his cheeks. He gave a soft, friendly smile, but the aura he was giving off was almost chilling.

"I don't really have a last name; my title is the closest thing I would have, I guess." I shifted uncomfortably against the trees and quickly scanned the area, and to my dismay, the trees seemed to be inching closer and pressing against themselves, stopping any escape attempt. He took another step closer, and I could see a pair of blood orange eyes peeking out from an eye browless face. His Hawaiian style shirt hung loosely on his frame and had brown dirt caked in random places. His khakis barely held onto his almost bone-like legs.

"Ahh. You are one of those types that get into character then, my apologies, then mate." The chilling vibes that were emanating from his body seemed to stop, and I felt my self start to grow slightly less uncomfortable with him. He took a final step and reached out a hand that had a light dusting of dirt on it. " I'm a system companion who runs the next part of the process. It's a pleasure to meet you, Kairos." I gingerly took his hand to return his handshake and was immediately shocked at the strength in his grip.

"It's a pleasure to meet you as well," I replied in a reserved tone, unsure if I am unable to trust this man. He released his grip and spun on his heel quickly and snapped his fingers, causing the trees that were slowly surrounding us to stop and part like a wave.

"Now come, We need to select a class for you so you can move on the weapon creation and finally be gone from this place. Chop chop time is of the essence." I quickly scampered behind, trying my best to catch up. His long legs were taking broader then what I thought was possible. "So I have a question I manage to sputter out as my scampering pace quickly turned into a small Jog as we quickly went through the forest.

"What would your question be then old sport?" He asked, his voice was as steady as if he was going for a light walk and not putting any effort in at all.

"Why is it that everyone I've met so far seems to know how to speak English?" I asked him genuinely curious and happy to slow down as I assumed we were getting close to our destination.

"Well, mate, every Administrator has access to a universal translator. The system converts language going in and out to the closest approximation of its meaning and tone. " I nod my head as we started to slow down even more and entered into an open clearing.

"Well, that would make sense. That would explain why your words and actions sounded off whenever you would speak." He shrugged and quickly walked through the knee-high grass into a pit that was filled with golden sand. In the center stood a wooden training dummy that looked scarred and has seen better days. Arthurias quickly materialized a chair and took a seat directly across from the training dummy and kicked his legs out, crossing his feet.

"Now, the first thing is to explain the class structure to ya." He shifted slightly as a wall of floating text appeared in front of my eyes.

Analyzing User..Title discovered. Favor of the System, class creation is now applied. Mid-tier classes have been unlocked... TItle has been removed from the user's title inventory.

"Ohh. Look at you with the fancy titles. This is gonna make explaining things a tad bit easier since I now have some examples." He snapped his fingers, and a new screen appeared in front of me.

Class selection

Please select which tier you would like to explore.

Low tier- Acess Granted

 

Middle tier- Acess Granted

 

High tier- Access Denied

 

Mythic- Access Denied

 

Legendary- Access Denied

 

Unique- Access Denied

 

"Now, I'm gonna need ya to click on the Low tier class selections. I don't expect you to choose a low tier class, I just wanted you to experience the nuances of this." I nodded my head and reached an Inky black finger forwards and pressed the Low tier class option. The screen quickly faded away and was replaced by a new list.

Please select where you wish to specialize in:

Rogue

Warrior

Tank

Mage

 

"This list seems kind of bland," I told him as I took it in. It seemed to the main class types in most games I've played over my many years. Arthurias snickered at me for a moment before speaking again.

"Well, old sport. That list you are seeing is the surface. There are subclasses to subclasses that get even more in-depth than anything ya have ever seen before, but that doesn't tend to happen till upper mid-tier and higher." His accent was switching between that of being barely British to a faint Irish accent, and it was giving me quite the headache. I pinched the bridge of my nose and looked back at the menu.

"Alright, so, does it really matter what I click on since I'm exploring at the moment?"

"Not at all, lad. Pick whatever you feel like, I'll talk as you scroll through. The sooner we get this done, the better." I nodded my head and clicked on the first option, and a new screen appeared.

The Administrator has been analyzed. All classes being displayed first will fit within the Administrators mental and physical parameters.

Rogue class selection screen:

Thief

Ghost

Shadow Blade

Ninja

Devourer of Darkness (I)

Hawk Shot

Trapper

 

"Ohh, you got a named class in there. That's always fun to see." I scrunched my nose at the somewhat edgy name.

"And what separates a named class from a base class?"

Arthurias stood up and let out a giant yawn before he chose to speak again. "A named class means that the previous user leveled the class up from the lowest tier, and managed to get it to the highest tier possible and reset it. Once you do that, the class changes and grows in power and starts down the path of becoming a unique class."

"Doesn't that reset the power of the class, though, since it is going back into low tier again?"

"Not exactly. A named class comes about when an Administrator makes a choice regarding the class. For example, the previous user of the shadow blade class focused more on the darkness aspect of the class than the actual blade, and his class evolved based on that." I nodded my head in understanding and focused entirely on his words, scared to miss even a single important detail. "However, with that being said, Not every name class is powerful. Some might make a wrong choice and focus on the wrong part of the class. This leads to the class becoming significantly weaker then what was intended, often leading to the Administrators death."

"So, if you are not careful, you could turn a potentially overpowered class into one of the weakest is what I'm hearing?" I asked him as I backed out of the first few menus to return to the main one.

"Exactly. You have every class imaginable here and power beyond your wildest dreams, but nothing is ever truly given to you here, and if you are not careful, it can come and bite you in the ass." I chuckled at his words as my finger hovered over the mid-tier list when I suddenly stopped. Something he said in a previous sentence caught my attention as I was replacing it in my head.

"You mentioned that named classes belong to previous Administrators. Does that mean when you die, they get recycled into the system?" Arthurias froze for a moment in thought then sat back down, crossing his left leg over his right.

"That would be correct. Everything an Administrator has when they perish gets recycled into this galaxies system. The worlds they once ran become rogue and ripe for the taking by other Administrators. It's quite sad. Entire legacies can be found in even the smallest of things like a class." I frowned as I opened up the mid-tier class tab and sat on the first screen.

Please select a class you wish to specialize in:

Rogue

Warrior

Tank

Mage

 

I let out a sad sigh, and Athurias ran his hands over his almost bald scalp. "I'm sorry for killing the mood lad, I just figured that it would be better for you to know now rather than later."

I let out a small nervous chuckle and clicked on the mage class. "It's okay, I'd much rather know this now then find out later. Anyways is there a way to filter down all these classes. The mid-tier has so much variety." I told him as I was mindlessly scrolling through the multitude of classes, trying to find an excuse to get away from this particular topic.

"Yes, there is, on the upper left hand of the screen, you should see a small folder icon. Click it and scroll down; about three spaces down, you will see a filter. Id highly suggest using this cause starting around this tier classes begin to cross and interchange with each other, and things get rather messy quickly." I could faintly hear relief in his voice as he explained to me where the filter was located. Even his typically jovial way of speaking seemed to be slightly subdued.

I clicked the filter and stared at it blankly for a moment as I thought about the kind of class I wish to use. "Hey, Arthurias, I have a question for you." I typed in Spellblade and clicked enter before shifting my attention back to him.

"Yes, old sport?" He asked, and I suddenly became annoyed by the return of that annoying accent.

"What happens if an Administrator makes a world where the populace gets to choose a class. Doesn't that make this kind of redundant?" Arthurias chuckled again and rocked back on his chair. The sunlight painted his face, and he let out a soft moan.

"Think of those classes as supplements. Remember the named class topic we just had? Kind of the same thing. Administrators are free to take as many classes from the world they manage, but they will never be as strong as the class they select at the start. However, you can combine things with your main class to create something slightly different and eventually unique. That's the beauty of it all." My mind raced as all the possibilities started to pile up, but I quickly shook it away, I needed to focus and make the right choice and not get too ahead of my self. I turned my attention back to the menu and thought about the class that I typed in. 

   I decided right off of the bat to go with a spell blade class since that class has always held a special place in my heart. I was never too fond of most mage classes since they tended to be lackluster in appearance and inabilities they use. Maybe I could find a unique spell blade class that I could combine with some of the magic my world may eventually have and create something truly original. So I brought up the class menu and quickly read through the options.

Spell blade options:

Holy

Dark

Rogue

Dancer

 

I stared at the screen for a moment, curious as to what each class gave, but the dancer specialization caught my eye the most. After reading it once more, I started to imagine a class that could cut and weaved their way through an army with elegance and grace. I felt a surge of excitement course through my veins, and I selected it.

 

Dancer sub specilizations:

Blade dancer

Binder

 

I felt my eyes light up in excitement at the two sub-specializations, and I turned to Arthurias. "Hey, what's the binder sub-specialization?" He raised an eyebrow as he set the chair back down he was rocking in.

"Its a subset of the dancer. Where the dancer used Sword and Magic, the Binder uses Cloth and Magic. It's quite the class when mastered." I quickly nodded my head and tried to imagine my self swinging around a rope or a ribbon, and I shook my head. That's really not who I am. I click on the Blade Dancer option and instantly sorted it based on the most exciting classes to me.

 

Blade Dancer:

Blade Storm

Dance of the Falling Cherry Blossoms

Dance of the Echoing Mirror

Dance of Death

 

"Athurias, why are all the blade dancer options named?" I clicked on the Dance of the Falling Cherry Blossoms, and a video popped up of a blank-faced man with long flowing white hair surrounded by a cloud of pink flowers. With each movement, he took the petals, followed closely and quickly. It seemed familiar, but where have I seen it before? I raised my hand to my chin as I watched the video play, trying to place the memory. At the same time, Arthurias spoke.

"Blade dancers are a subclass of a low tier martial art that uses magic to levitate blades. Over the years, the class was named Blademancey or something fancy like that. This is just a subclass of a subclass." I nodded my head and clicked on the first option. Another man with an empty face appeared surrounded by hundreds of blade. He raised a hand, and all the blades rose as well. He took a step forward and gestured down only for all the blades to point the stabby, end down and shoot towards the target impaling the hay bail with hundred of swords. I chuckled at the scene and put the class to the side. Not really my thing. I was left with only two options at this point, Dance of The Echoing Mirror and Dance Death.

I selected the Dace of Death, and another video replaced my screen, Four blades rotated around the blank-faced figure. Each one was perfectly crafted and looked exactly the same. The figure raised a hand and dashed forward, cause each blade to lay flat in the air and stop moving. It grabbed one, and the others fell behind him in a V pattern. It lunged forward in a precise jab, and all the other blades shot out from behind him like a scorpion tail. I let out a low whistle in appreciation and quickly clicked on in the next class.

Another blank-faced character appeared this time with six swords floating behind it, and a single sword of what looked to be elvish design firmly clasped in its left hand. Upon closer inspection, I saw that three of the blades were ethereal and radiated a ghostly glow. The character stepped forward and swung its free hand in a wide arc at a sharp downward angle. The three swords on the right followed closely behind the hand while the swords on the left seemed to mirror the movement entirely. The character stepped forward and shot its hand upwards, causing both sets of blades to go to the sky. What I then noticed was where ever the swords travel, there were small tears in the air. The character stepped back and made a gesture for the swords to return and quickly flipped the blade around in his hand to where the blade's hilt was facing up and outwards. He rested a hand on the hilt like a samurai from feudal japan would and gently flicked it. The sound of a small chime echoed in the air for a moment before thee cracks suddenly widened with a loud pop before they vanished.

I see now why it is called the Echoing Mirror. I wonder what magic it uses. "Hey Arthurias, why don't these classes have descriptions on them?" He let out a small sigh as he open up an eye and gave me an annoyed glared.

"Alpha is trying to limit certain classes from falling in the wrong hands, so he's making everything a bit more of a pain in the ass for the rest of us. "

I nodded my head and grumbled under my breath about how it wasn't fair that I had to suffer due to the actions of others. I turned back to the class selection screen and clicked on Dance of The Echoing Mirror.

 

Would you like to make this your class?

 

I typed out yes, and another message appeared.

 

Class has been selected. All withheld stats are now being distributed according to the selected class. Class redistribution is finalizing... Finalization complete. Class Selection complete. The next phase is weapon creation and Stat distribution.

"Ahh, so you've selected that class. You are in for a treat." Arthurias told me as he gave me a wicked grin.

82