Chapter 13.1 Primal Age
2.3k 6 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'm afraid so, my lord. You may wish to intervene if you want to end the bloodshed before it gets worse." I traced my finger over the water mindlessly before the next wave crashed over my hand.

"Hmm. I'm afraid for the time being; I'm going to have to put it on the back burner. I need to put a priority the Humans, Dark Elves, Ancient Ones, and eventually, the Nazghôuls when I come across them."

Helios nodded his head, "That would be for the best. We can't focus on just two races at the moment. We need to get the others on the ground first and then eventually get the organic assimilator module."I tore my focus from the ocean and faced Helios.

"Why do you recommend that?" I asked him quietly as I started to try and plan out my next few steps.

"Well, Angels and Demons have a very strict social caste. The more wings they have, the higher the position of authority they can achieve." He flapped his seven wings and brought them close to himself, showing them off. "and because I'm currently the only one with this many wings, all of the Angels see me as their king." I only nodded quietly and listened to him speak, while tracing patterns in the ocean water. "So if we wait till we have the module, We could craft a body that would better suit our agenda."

I stretched my arms out and thought over everything he just told me for a short time. "Okay, so head back, try and contain the feuding for now, and ill be over there as soon I can." Helios nodded his head and vanished, leaving me alone again on the beach. I leaned back on my hands and stared at out across the endless sea before I noticed a blinking notification on my HUD. I opened it, and a new notification appeared on my screen.

 

Congratulations. You decided to descend from your control room and personally taught one of your species, the first step of agriculture. You have unlocked a milestone and a personal achievement.

First step in the right direction- A species has learned the basic form of agriculture. +10 Creation points.

Guiding hand- You have personally taught a species a vital part of building a civilization. +30 Creation points

 

I quickly dismissed the notifications and brought up my creation menu and searched through it for the naming function. This specific tool was something that I've meant to use once I had enough creation points saved up. Once I found it, I clicked on it and brought up the description.

The naming function allows the user to name essential landmarks and place the faintest traces of emotion in them. The name is then known to all species that are born and currently exist on the planet. Races that visit will also be affected. Cost: 15 Points

Note: Can not be used to impart knowledge; this is merely for cosmetic use.

Please select the landmark you wish to name...

A three-dimensional copy of Ouradia appeared, and I selected the rings that hung across the planet and slowly typed the name.

 

A pulse then shot out across the Ouradia. This pulse consisted of golden energy that crackled like lightning and shot across the surface of Ouradia and originated from the rings themselves. It crashed over the of hundreds of thousands of living beings, and a name was then forever imprinted into their memories, Kairo's Lament. It was a name that stood as a monument to the sins of its creator and as an eternal reminder of what it took to create the ring that now circled the planet.

 

I watched the energy dissipate, and I sat back on my arms and watched as the water slowly rose over my legs. Now, what was next on the to-do list? I decided that I was going to push back, visiting the angels and the demons until I get the module that I needed. I wanted to end the whatever feud they had as quickly as possible. So that left the Humans, the Dark Elves, and the Ancient Ones. I pondered the thoughts for a moment before a soft voice tore me from my thoughts.

"Hello there." I shot out of the water and spun around, searching for the source of the noise. My eyes traveled along the empty beach and up to the tree line. There wasn't a single thing insight other than a small squirrel-like animal running up a tree.

"Looking for me?" This time I heard the voice whisper in my ear, and I spun again, only to be greeted by the sight of empty air and the planets star setting on the horizon.

"Show your self!" I called out, and a gust of wind came as the only response. I stood quietly for a moment listening keenly to my surroundings. The only sounds that I could hear were the sounds of water lapping on the shore and the leaves on the trees rustling in the wind. But something felt off; the once vibrant forest was now quiet. I narrowed my eyes and scanned the horizon again.

Suddenly I felt the air around my face shift slightly and run down my cheek like someone was stroking my face. "My my, calm down — this isn't like our last meeting where I tried to kill you." The air around me shimmered in the dying rays of light, revealing the faintest outline of a human form.

I slightly relaxed as I recognized the voice. "Ah Aphelia, long time no see." The air flickered and solidified into a visible gas that barely held the shape of a humanoid form. "You look different than the last time I saw you."

I heard a small chuckle as the gas floated over towards me. "I am a being of nature; I can change my form at will." The water that was sloshing at my feet was pulled into the air before it started to solidify into the shape of a hand. The water vibrated and rippled as the hand reached out to me. "and I see that you haven't changed in the slightest since I last saw you." The water in the air froze, then dropped back into the ocean with a loud splash, and the wind shifted slightly in my direction. "It has been eons since I've last seen you."

"What do you mean, eons? I fought you not even a few days ago." I furrowed my eyebrows, and I felt the air around me freeze for a moment before it started to press against my face gently.

"My, did I leave that strong of an impression on you? The wind carried her teasing tone around me in a swirl, causing her voice to echo around me in dozens of directions.

I felt my face warm slightly at her words. "Well, you seem quite friendly for someone one who was rather hostile when we first met." The air pulsed once more and floated over towards me before settling down next to me in the water.

"Well.. its been millions of years since I've last saw you, and at first, I hated you for waking me up and taking me from my home. I harbored that hatred for many years before I realized that if you didn't come, I would have probably died there along with that world." The cloud shifted up slightly in the direction of the rings that were shining softly in the fading light like a cluster of diamonds. "After a while, my hatred faded, and sadness took its place, I suppose. The only friend I've ever known since birth died and the closest I could ever get to her again were those rings that seem to float just out of reach."

I saw the air solidify, and a ghostly hand reached out towards the rings. Aphelia's voice cracked in sadness when she spoke again, causing my heart to flutter painfully in my chest. " And for so long, I would stare up at those rings, and I would cry. I would miss her with all my heart." The shimmer dissipated, and the cloud shifted once more.

"But over time, I realized that it wasn't your fault. My kind saps the life out of a planet, and without a steady ecosystem to replenish it, we eventually consume the planet itself. I would have killed her anyway if you didn't come along."

We sat in silence together and stared at the rings in the now night sky. Since Ouradia itself lacked an actual moon, the light was coruscating from the hundred of thousands of small ice and rock particles trapped in the rings. Patterns of gold, teal, and cyan were constantly vying over each other as the ring slowly moved around the planet. The night sky was cloudless, and thousands of stars twinkled in the vast expanse of the sky.

"What I said when we first met holds true. I'm still unsure of what I'm doing. This entire process is too much for me sometimes. In fact, I haven't slept since I started this whole thing. So I'm truly sorry for hurting you in any way, and I'm deeply sorry for killing your friend." I reached out to touch the cloud, and to my surprise, it was solid and felt like a giant fluffy ball of cotton was attempting to consume my hand.

Aphelia let out a deep sigh as she continued to gaze up at the rings. " I forgive you. You did save my life after all, so it's only fair " I heard her exhale slowly and I smiled softly at her words. "By the way, what does the word lament mean? I've never heard that word used."

I shifted back onto my hands, and the sand gave way slightly, causing my fingers to sink a few inches into the wet ground. "Its an expression of sorrow. I used it because it seemed to fit how I felt towards the situation regarding the creation of the rings." I felt my heartbeat slowly for a moment as the guilt started to eat at me for a moment before I forced it down.

"Ahh. It fits then, I suppose." She replied quietly as the air fluttered around her for a moment before she went quiet once more. I opened my menu and started to silently read through the extensive amount of information as we both sat with each other into the quiet night.

63