Rules, Territory and Prohibitions – Part 2
280 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In front of the old a boy who was speaking in managing voice, Ray felt afraid. He felt that he could not win against him, whether he had a weapon or not.

The boy continued to speak in the same tone,

⌈Who are you? And why are you bothering these kids? Didn't your parents teach you it's bad manners to fight others?⌋ (Older boy)

Being questioned like this by someone with enough authority to quiet down the surrounding kids, Ray took on a meek attitude and spoke timidly,

⌈M-My name is Ray. I was asking for food from him, but he said only members of their group could get it.......⌋ (Ray)

And at the end of the sentence his voice became so small that it was barely audible. But from the contents he had said anyone who had seen even a little bit of what happened before could get the general idea.

⌈So you decided to threaten him to give you food huh. Are you new in the slums or are you stupid for trying to pick a fight with us? Don't you know it could have gotten you in big danger?⌋ (Older boy)

To this question of the older boy, the guilt in Ray's heart for using violence began to set even deeper. Feeling regretful for his doings he spoke in a sorrowful voice,

⌈I-I did not have a choice. I haven't eaten properly for days and he wouldn't give food to anyone who wasn't a member,....so, I did what I did.⌋ (Ray)

After saying this, Ray looked in front of himself and found that the older boy was glaring at him with such seriousness in his eyes that you'd think he was going to beat the boy very seriously. In front of him, Ray could do nothing but look down. For some time, the silence between them continued, and as if hitting upon an idea, Ray spoke with some expectation in his voice,

⌈You're their big brother, right? So, could you please make me a member of their group?⌋ (Ray)

His face was full of uncertainty as he asked this of the boy, but, still carrying some hope in his heart, he went on with his question. For a while, the boy continued to watch Ray and the other kids, as if looking for something very important, then, he spoke to the brown haired kid who was still hiding behind him,

⌈........Klan, all of the kids seem to have eaten their breads. Take them all and go to your work, I will see what to do with him.⌋ (Older boy)

At his order, the brown haired kid, apparently called Klan, began to gather all the kids,

⌈Hey, you heard big brother! Leave the brat alone and move to work! Let's go!⌋ (Klan)

and went away with them. Though Ray did not know the streets of the slums too well, he could tell they were going towards the town. Once everyone has left and they were alone, the boy began to observe Ray once again, and after a little while spoke to him,

⌈.........You really wanna become one of us? You know you're gonna have to work and do a lot of other stuff? And even if I decide to approve you, it's the boss who decides who becomes a member.⌋ (Older boy)

Ray did not know what this other stuff that the boy was talking about was, but he figured, if other kids could do the work then he could as well. Therefore, he decided that it would not be harmful for him to become  a member of this group if he could secure some food. Hence he asked the boy,

⌈Then take me to your boss, please. I really want to become a member of your group.⌋ (Ray)

The boy nodded his head and began walking after saying, "Follow me", to Ray. As they walked in the complex, disordered streets and alleys of the slums, the boy began to talk to Ray.

⌈By the way, my name is Klaude. And I'm the one you have to meet if any kid is to become a member. I also recommend kids I find valuable to become members to boss.⌋ (Klaude)

The older boy, Klaude, introduced himself and began to ask Ray about himself,

⌈You said your name was Ray? I haven't seen you around in the slums much. Are you really new here?⌋ (Klaude)

⌈Y-Yes. I came here, a few days ago...⌋ (Ray)

As Ray told this to Klaude, he had a sad expression on his face. Seeing this Klaude understood that he had some circumstances that were really bad even from his perspective that forced this boy to come into slums. He understood that life here would be hard on him, especially since seeing Ray's expression when he talked about coming to slums, it was clear that he had experienced a life outside the slums.

⌈I'm not gonna ask what happened as it's none of my business, but there are a few rules you have to follow if you are to live in these slums.⌋ (Klaude)

Perhaps, Klaude began to feel sorry for Ray seeing his expression as he began to talk about some things which would definitely make his life easier in slums.

⌈First of all, there are some people you should never antagonise. One of them is our boss, though there is little chance for you to antagonise him considering he never leaves his base. Second are the thugs and robbers which a kid like you could never win against. And third are the guards and officials that come here sometimes to get some extra money from those people.⌋ (Klaude)

⌈What's ant ago nice?⌋ (Ray)

Perhaps, the word was a little too advanced for him to understand as Ray asked Klaude to make himself clear. Seeing this Ray understood one more thing about Ray, that this kid was not from a family that had something like a family business. He deduced that he was either the son of an adventurer or a group of criminals from other town  who died or perhaps some sleazebag commoners who abandoned their son in the slums. However, even if he were to ask this of Ray, there was a very little chance he would get an answer, hence he decided to not pursue the matter regarding his parents and answered after thinking a little while.

⌈........It's not ant ago nice, it's antagonise. It means to anger someone. So you shouldn't anger these people. Regarding the boss, you will meet him soon so memorise his face well and, as for robbers and thugs, they are people with weapons. The same can be said about guards. Usually they come in their uniforms, but even when they don't come wearing their uniforms, it doesn't change the fact that you should away people carrying weapons.⌋ (Klaude)

Hearing Klaude, Ray remembered the bald man carrying sword and the black man carrying short sword from last night. He thought that perhaps he had done something wrong, but decided against voicing it and keeping away from weapon carrying people from now on. Unaware of what was going in Ray's head, Klaude continued on with his explanation,

⌈Now there are places you should not visit either. They are usually back alleys which are relatively close to the town streets as they are place where hoodlums gather. You can pass by them but try to avoid passing by them or going near them as much as possible especially in evening and night. Even if you see something going on in such streets, ignore them and move on. Don't stand there gawking at it.⌋ (Klaude)

Hearing Klaude, Ray once again felt that he had done something wrong. His face took on a weird expression, with his eyes wide and his lips pursed tight in a straight line. Klaude saw this and asked, "What's wrong?", but Ray shook his head in such a flurry that it seemed as if it might fall off. Seeing this Klaude decided to leave this matter be and continued on,

⌈Now there are place or rather territories you can and cannot go. The slums are basically divided into two territories. The first is the outside areas of the slums which are closer to town streets. We've been walking through this area for a while now. Second is the territory of Boss and hoodlums. It is the inside are of the slums and you are to not enter this area on your own. If you get selected as a member and boss calls you, then I'll come to get you and you'll accompany me there just like today. Understand?⌋ (Klaude)

Ray nodded his head. Seeing his face which still had that weird expression on, Klaude could not tell whether he had understood or not, but he decided to believe in the boy's answer.

⌈Now, we've entered the boss's territory. Keep your head down in front of the boss and don't let out a sound. I'll talk to him about you. Got it?⌋ (Klaude)

At his question, Ray felt tense and nervously, nodded his head.


<So here was another part of Rules, territory and prohibitions, a chapter of the boy of the slums. Please write your reactions about the story and my writing method in the comments. I will try to make any improvements you suggest. Your reactions and inputs are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!>

2