Chapter 11 – Mystical Entities
521 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 11 - Mystical Entities

After a few repetitions of the prayer, Anabelle once again relaxed and fell silent.

Hakuya watched her with a solemn expression, considering the meaning behind the prayer. He did not feel like the words came from Anabelle herself - this was because the words were spoken without inflection or intent. Simply uttering the words in Fortus caused a stir in energies that Hakuya could perceive through his spirit - This was the power of the ancient language, entwined in mysticism as it was. However, the energies dissipated as quickly as they formed. Had they come from Anabelle herself, the power of the words would linger in the air, charged by the spiritual power of the speaker.

This lingering of spiritually charged energy formed the basis of rituals and magical spells!

Contemplating this fact, Hakuya determined that there was little danger stemming from the utterance of the demonic prince’s name. Without intent, the prayer would not have enough spiritual charge to reach His awareness. Most likely, in her weakened state and influenced by the parasite, she was resonating with prayers at the same aetheric wavelength as the parasite. Anabelle’s words were merely an echo.

An echo of another being that was currently chanting these prayers!

As the first rays of sunlight began peeking through the window, Hakuya deliberated on the best set of actions. First, he needed to contact the head priest of Yuima, in order to warn him of the ominous prayer to Deka and also to ask for guidance. In the meantime he would investigate the origin of the parasite and its connection with the demonic prince. If he could find the source of the prayers, that would definitely provide insight into the current state of the demi god.

A shudder went through Hakuya’s body as he considered that last point. He was not a fighter. His training with the sword was minimal and for the most part untested. The last thing he wanted to do was come across followers of an evil demon prince.

As the light of dawn streamed into the window, Hakuya turned his attention to the blond woman lying unconscious on the bed. The half bald cleric pulled the conical vial of swirling green medicine out of his robes and frowned. His original arrangement with Dr. Ilec was to provide the medicine for the strange fever, for a cost of six marks. Its colour had already dulled slightly, as more than twelve hours had passed since its creation. In three days the aether in the vial would completely dissipate, rendering it no more potent than a regular herbal medicine.

A quiet knock sounded, and Hakuya discretely returned the vial to his robes as Dr. Ilec opened the door. He entered, looking slightly less worn out than when he had first retired.

“Good morning.” Dr. Ilec said softly. “How is she?”

“No better, but no worse.” Hakuya replied, “She mumbled incoherently at one point in the middle of the night, but otherwise has been calm. I haven’t noticed any change in her condition.”

“You mentioned several days ago that you were going to gather medicine for her. I have the money for it if you managed to bring it.” Dr. Ilec entered the room and sat down next to Hakuya, who observed that the doctor had not even changed out of his white clinic coat, which was creased all over.

“I have the medicine, but I am afraid to use it. It might complicate her condition.” Hakuya sighed. He did not have the heart to charge the doctor for medicine that could not be used. “This type of illness is not something I have ever heard of. I don’t know where to start when it comes to treating it. I can only hope that my colleagues have some ideas when I contact them.”

Hakuya stood up, picking up his sword, his sack and his woven hat. “I also want to investigate the source of her affliction, and find out where she caught it.”

“Her husband would probably be the best to ask.” Dr. Ilec said, nodding, “He lives outside the east gate of the city, just at the edge of Chenmai Forest.”

Hakuya nodded, and stepped out the door. The doctor followed him through the hall out into the main waiting area of the clinic. Morning light streamed in through the windows, lighting up the empty waiting chairs and small side tables. There were numerous potted plants along the windows and next to the chairs, as well as throw rugs and a couch with a few quilted pillows. It gave the clinic a very welcoming feeling.

At a receiving desk sat a young nurse who greeted them as they passed through.

“I want to thank you for your help.” Dr. Ilec said as he held the door open for Hakuya and followed him out.

“I haven’t done anything.” Hakuya replied.

“Regardless, I deeply appreciate your presence and efforts.” With the fingers in his right palm straightened and pressed together, Dr. Ilec placed his hand over his heart. “My hopes for Anabelle are with you.”

Hakuya looked Dr. Ilec in the eyes with a serious expression and nodded firmly, then he turned and left down the street.

As the cleric in the traveller’s cloak and straw hat disappeared down the road, Dr. Ilec sighed heavily. He turned back into the clinic.

“Will Anabelle be alright?” The girl behind the desk asked, slightly hesitantly. Her brown hair was tied neatly in a bun and she wore a set of light blue nurse scrubs. She was petite, with gentle eyes and light skin.

“I don’t know, Josie. But I have hope that she will.” Dr. Ilec said, smiling despite his inner anxiety.

“My mom packed an extra breakfast for you, it’s in the back.” Josie said, “You should eat.”

“After I do my first rounds.” Dr. Ilec said, then smiled again more genuinely as he Josie shot a peeved look at him, “Alright, I won’t do a full check. I just need to check on Jie Wen’s bandages first. I look forward to breakfast. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, Dr. Ilec.”

~

In the morning, Yuzu opened up the doors and windows throughout the house and began her chores. She felt drained and exhausted, as if she hadn’t slept at all. Her dreams had been disjointed and her sleep had been interrupted several times during the night, though she couldn’t recollect what the dreams were about. She went through her morning routine in a zombie-like state.

Zwei had left an hour after sunrise in his school uniform. Xiang tended the shop, as he normally did on weekdays. Business was fairly steady for a monday, with customers coming in on their way to work. Most of them came to pay off the interest and extend their borrowing period, a few came to buy back their items. Since it was the beginning of the month most people had been recently paid and were eager to retrieve their belongings.

For the most part, Yuzu and Xiang left each other alone during the day. Yuzu swept the floors and the sidewalk at the front and back, wiped down the cupboards and dusted. At lunch she prepared a simple squash soup and heated up leftover chicken and the two of them ate together, Xiang perusing the day’s newspaper and Yuzu reading her book.

At the end of the meal they lowered their heads, placed their open palms over their heart and said a short, quiet prayer to Lord Noga. This was the custom of the people of Noga.

The current Lord Noga was not the original Lord whom the capital city of Kumin had been named after, but he was a direct descendant of the original Lord’s bloodline. It was customary across most of the kingdoms to pray to one’s Lord, in exchange for their protection and guidance. This was a tradition that the devout believed would directly bring them boons, and the less religious followed out of social custom.

Yuzu and her family were somewhere in the middle, following the customs with sincerity though perhaps not believing completely that it had any divine or mystical effects.

After lunch Xiang returned to the shop and Yuzu went into the back storage room to dust the items on the shelves as part of her routine. The items in the back room were ones that were still within their initial lending period, and thus were not for sale. Of all the duties she had with tending the house and shop, this part of her day she felt was the most meaningful.

Here were items that people treasured and had to give up in order to make ends meet. They were often some of a person or family’s more valuable possessions, particularly if they were not well off, and one day they hoped to return and reclaim them. Yuzu always took special care to make sure that the items were carefully dusted and kept in good condition for the day that they would be returned to their owners.

The room was a ten foot square, with wooden shelves lining three of the walls. When Yuzu was younger, the shelves were always full of items. However in the past few years the number of items they had on hold had dwindled. The store room was now only about half full. Yuzu didn’t let it bother her - Xiang was in charge of the shop and he did his best. She trusted him to keep the store afloat.

She went through the shelves, picking up the items and gently dusting them or wiping them with a soft cloth. Partway through she pulled up a small stool and sat down to take a break. She sighed, holding her head in her hands, wondering whether she should take a nap and try to recover her energy. Xiang would probably yell at her if she did.

As she rested, with her eyes closed, she gradually realized that there was a golden string floating in her vision. It drifted through the darkness, a thin ribbon glinting in the void. She could see that it was tied around her body despite having her eyes closed, and she felt the golden energy from the string slowly diffusing into her.

She jerked awake as the dusting brush in her hand clattered to the floor. She looked around the room, which didn’t appear any different. Her heart was beating rapidly and she held her hand to her heart instinctively. She had the overwhelming feeling that there was someone - or something - else in the room with her.

Her fingers across her heart felt the sensation of being wrapped by thread. Yuzu looked down and saw a golden illusory string extending from her body towards the shelves. It drifted lazily in the air, floating upon an unseen breeze.

Her eyes locked on a small, ornate chest with gold inlays and a silver crest. It was on the lower shelf at the back of the room, sitting on a folded paper that held the details of the loan. The golden string entered the box through the keyhole, from which a faint light seemed to be seeping out. She tried to pull at the string with her hands but applying too much force caused her hand to pass through.

Yuzu stood abruptly, her mouth was dry as she felt something beckoning to her from within the chest. Her mind raced as she recalled the many stories she had read of protagonists being summoned by strange beings or granted powers from mystical objects.

With a quick turn on her heels she opened the door, extinguished the lantern and left the room!

20