Chapter 15 – Telegraph
407 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR

It's been two weeks since I started posting this story online. I originally planned to post daily only for a week, and then go to a twice-a-week schedule, but I felt that I needed to push just a bit farther as the story had not progressed too much after the first week. So I posted daily for another week just to get the story rolling.

I hope you are enjoying the story so far! It took a bit of time as I did not want to rush the beginning and I wanted to develop the world carefully. The foundations are almost set, and then we're really going to start going places!

The schedule will be moving to a twice a week schedule (Wednesday and Sundays) from here on out, but I have a good buffer so I'm not going anywhere. Make sure to follow so you receive the updates as the story develops. If we hit some major milestones I will consider releasing a batch of chapters or answering questions or other such things. Please comment and rate if you like the story, or even better, tell your friends about Calamity Mandate!

Thank you for reading, and enjoy the ride~!

Rocket

Chapter 15 - Telegraph

Adbhame Parasite In Noga City Possibly Ancient Deka Ties Send Medical And Investigation Support East Cato Clinic

Hakuya read over the telegraph he had written, his brow furrowed in thought. He had never sent a telegram before, but it was a technology that had been suggested to him as the fastest way to contact the members of his sect in Huan. A regular letter in an envelope would take two to four weeks to reach Yuka Village at regular rates, or one week at express rates. A follower of Yuima would check the mailbox in Yuka Village twice a week. Since the message was directed towards the elders, someone would have to make the two day journey to the Everblossoming Valley from Yuka Village to deliver the letter.

In contrast, telegraphs could be received the day it was sent. This rapid speed was due to a system of line-of-sight towers that used mirrors to send signals across long distances. Hakuya felt that the urgency of the patient’s condition and the news of the ancient demon prince justified the cost.

He had originally intended to write a message detailing the issues he had encountered, the nature of the parasite, and the reasons for suspecting connections to Deka, the Demonic Prince of Life. He used the term Adbhame, which was ancient Fortus for “unnatural”, in order to hide the esoteric nature of his message.

At first he thought it would be a simple matter, like sending a letter. However, when he arrived at the telegraph office he discovered that sending a telegraph was extremely expensive!

Each word of the telegraph cost four bells. That meant that his current seventeen word message would cost three marks and eight bells!

That was ludicrous!

His breakfast that morning, a plate of fried noodles with potatoes and smelt, had cost him only five leafs. Since he was currently staying at the clinic, he had no room fees, so he could survive for almost two weeks off of a single mark.

His current message length robbed him of over a month and a half of living costs!

Hakuya pinched his glabella as he closed his eyes and thought deeply. For a moment he regretted not selling the elixir to Dr. Ilec, but he quickly shrugged the thought off. The original deal had been to sell the medicine for six and a half marks, the cost of the grubs plus a bit extra for the ingredients he personally supplied. This would have let him repay the loan on the chest immediately.

After he decided to not charge the doctor for the medicine, his backup plan was to sell the pure aether to Hunter Reid for twelve marks. This was a fair price - pure aether was hard to come by, but it was also only a small tube. He suspected that Reid would use the transformative properties of the pure aether to concoct items for use during his hunts.

He inwardly chastised himself for not selling the vial at the meeting when he had the chance. He could have also been greedy and taken a mark from Reid, who had offered it for watching the elixir mixing process. That was another opportunity missed.

With a long sigh he revisited the issue of paying for the telegraph. He currently had three and a half marks, which was his original savings plus the amount he received for the chest, so he could just barely afford his message, using up nearly every coin he had on him. He reconsidered and immediately dismissed the idea of giving up and sending a regular letter. Every day counted towards saving Anabelle, the woman in Dr. Ilec’s care.

Adbhame Parasite In Noga Ancient Deka Connections Need Support East Cato Clinic

Twelve words - two marks and eight bells. Putting the name of the clinic was necessary since Hakuya had not originally intended to stay at the clinic. Actually, he originally had intended to only pass through the city so his companions would have to guess that East Cato Clinic was in Noga. Still, he was confident enough that the message imparted the need for urgency, given the key words of Adbhame in Fortis, and Deka.

He composed his message on a paper slip, writing the name and address of the Yuima mail handler in Yuka Village in the recipient section of the form and his name on the sender section. He handed it to the attendant at the counter and paid the resulting charge.

He carefully counted his money, feeling like his coin pouch had suddenly become too light. He sighed inwardly, then decided to contact his broker and meet up with Reid after investigating into the origins of the parasite.

Hakuya left the telegraph office and began heading towards Centin Road. It was not too far, since the clinic and telegraph office were in the southeast side of Noga, and Centin Road was by the east gate, which was on the northeast side, across the river.

It was just past noon when Hakuya reached the east gate. After asking for directions he found #3 Centin Road just a block away from the gate. The neighbourhoods on the north side of the city were somewhat worn down and old compared to the south side. The river, which bisected the city, seemed to be a natural dividing line between the different economic classes.

The houses by the east gate were wood framed houses with plaster walls. They were well kept, but small, and the packed dirt roads that separated the houses were too narrow for carriages. Hakuya found the house without too much difficulty and knocked on the old wooden door.

He heard the bounding of steps run up to the door from inside and a latch being undone before the door was thrown open.

“Papa!” A girl with long blonde hair in a braid opened the door. She was wearing a loose long sleeved cotton shirt that covered her arms, and an ankle length skirt. Hakuya immediately recognized the likeness of her with Anabelle and deduced that she was Lucelle Kent, the daughter of the patient at Dr. Ilec’s clinic. The girl, who was in her late teens, hesitated and visibly retracted as she noticed the cloaked man at the door that was not her father.

Hakuya bowed politely, and said in a gentle tone, “Excuse me for bothering you, miss. I am a cleric who is taking care of your mother.”

“Is she alright?” Lucelle asked, both her hands holding the door by its edge, as if she was ready to close it on him.

“She is being cared for. However I need a few more details to help her. I was wondering if I could talk to your father about it?”

“He’s- He’s not here.” Lucelle said, her eyes dropping, “Luke went out to the cottage to find him last night.”

Hakuya sensed that something was wrong from the tone of Lucelle’s voice. “The cottage? Did something happen?”

Lucelle shook her head, but she kept her gaze lowered, “N.. no. But papa hasn’t come home for two days so Luke went to look for him. But both of them haven’t come back yet.”

“I see. Where is this cottage?” Hakuya asked.

“In Chenmai Forest.” She said, rubbing the back of her neck anxiously.

At that moment, the sleeve of Lucelle’s shirt slid down her arm, revealing a number of small red sores.

~

The air was brisk and clear as the trio walked up the well worn forest path. It was Edwin’s first time visiting a forest this far to the north. The trunks of the trees were thin, and the trees were mainly tall, spindly evergreens with thick, scaly bark and needled branches. The lower branches of the coniferous trees had largely fallen off, leaving the base of the forest feeling quite open and easy to traverse. The ground was littered with a soft mulchy soil, fallen branches and the occasional fallen tree. Low bushes and shrubs budded with new growth, their branches still mostly bare from the winter.

The scent of resin and mulch was pleasant to Edwin’s nose. On the wind the chirps of small birds and the chatter of squirrels rang out through the otherwise silent forest.

The path meandered with lazy curves through the forest, splitting off at times with clear sign posts pointing the way towards various landmarks such as Noga, Gurya Camp, Howl Peak, and other names which Edwin found unfamiliar. After walking for about ten minutes down the path the two girls stopped at the base of a large, old pine tree.

“It’s off this way, right?” Char Char asked Yuzu, “There used to be a smaller path on the other side of this tree but it isn’t here anymore.”

Yuzu looked around thoughtfully, seeming a bit lost, “I guess so.”

The girls wandered around the tree and surrounding area, their eyes scanning the ground. Edwin leaned against the tree, setting down the wicker basket to rest for a moment.

“Could you pass me my shoes?” Char Char asked, approaching him. “I think we’re going to have to head off the path.”

“Sure.” He said, handing her the bag slung across his shoulder. “Did you find the trail?”

“No, but Yuzu and I both remember it being there. The shrine is at a top of a cliff, so if we head out in that direction then we should be able to judge where we are by the terrain.”

Char Char exchanged her open toed sandals for a more rugged pair of leather boots. They were well made, with rubber soles and thick shoe laces. They didn’t match with her light spring dress or the oversized hat, but Char Char didn’t seem to mind the fashion faux pas.

After a short water break, the group left the well worn dirt path and headed deeper into the woods.

15