Chapter 48 – Completing the Sale
235 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 48 - Completing the Sale

As they finished up their meal, Yuzu brought up the second question that was on her mind.

“Haven’t you already gotten into danger, though?” Yuzu asked, “Your arm hasn’t miraculously healed over the afternoon, has it?”

Char Char cupped her teacup in her hands as she looked down into the clear liquid. “It still hurts. A lot. I think it really is going to end up leaving a nasty scar... But that’s just a lesson to myself. I was careless. I’m lucky that I was saved by Reid.”

She smiled brilliantly as she looked up at Yuzu, “But, see, Reid had powers and he was able to save me. If I had powers, I’d definitely use them for good!”

“Even the hunter-“ Yuzu was about to say that the hunter still struggled against the monster in the mist, when she remembered that Char Char hadn’t told her about that detail. 

“Runs into danger?” Char Char finished Yuzu’s sentence, not noticing her friend’s hesitation. Her mind also flashed back to the previous night, where both she and him had nearly been killed by the monster.

“Yeah. Even if you’re strong, you’re always going to eventually find something stronger than you...” Yuzu said, inwardly sighing in relief as she berated herself for nearly slipping up.

“But you don’t need to be the strongest to help people.” Char Char said with a smile. Even though he had definitely saved her, she had also saved him. Reid even told her that himself. A feeling a pride swelled up inside her as she recalled his words.

“Anyways, it’s time to meet Enoki.” Yuzu said, changing the topic before she said something careless that would reveal her secret.

The two girls stood up and left the tea shop. As they headed down the street, they passed by a small shop door hidden beside the grocery store. Yuzu glanced at the sign above the door, which simply read “Chen’s Import”. The white thread drifted inside, disappearing into the building.

Yuzu frowned as she passed by. She wanted to see more of the vision, to see what the boy was doing inside the shop. It could be risky, but at the same time her intuition told her that going inside wasn’t particularly dangerous. If this boy could also see the threads like she could, she could learn more about her powers. In a way, that was the best way to stay safe!

Yuzu quietly decided to come back alone later to investigate. 

The crowds thickened as they headed into the market, and once again the two girls linked hands to prevent themselves from getting separated.  As they walked through the market, Yuzu tried to keep an eye out for illusory threads coated in a black sticky substance, but once again the sheer number of golden threads were blinding. A feeling of foreboding grew inside Yuzu’s gut but she couldn’t tell if it was a premonition or just regular anxiety. 

Returning to the produce stalls on Maido street caused Yuzu to recall the visions of panic caused by the Devileyes that she had seen earlier in the afternoon. She had suppressed the images in her subconscious to stop herself from worrying too much, telling herself that she was doing her best by helping Char Char. Now that she was back, though, she wondered if it was enough.

The stall of the mushroom specialist was once again empty as they approached it. The whole street was packed with customers and vendors, yelling over the crowd to hear each other. Char Char said something to her but Yuzu couldn’t hear it clearly. Still, she understood more or less what Char Char was asking her.

“He’ll be here soon.” Yuzu said in a louder voice than usual. Char Char didn’t seem to hear clearly, but nodded in reply.

Before long, the image of a merchant with a red vest and tanned skin appeared in Yuzu’s mind. He was approaching with a box about the size of a small melon. Yuzu squeezed Char Char’s hand to get her attention, and then pointed down the road to Enoki, who was just coming into view behind the crowd.

He had an anxious look on his face that only relaxed once he made contact with Yuzu. He smiled congenially as he beckoned for the girls to follow him behind the counter of the stall. It gave them a bit of space and privacy for their special purchase.

“Good evening, Miss Xing. And good evening, Miss Xing’s friend.” He said, placing the box on the counter. “It was really hard to find a moment to head back to my warehouse, but I was able to manage.”

“What he means is, he had to dig deep inside his closet for the box, which he picked up when he stopped by home on the way here.” Yuzu said to Char Char, loud enough for Enoki to hear.

“Hey now!” Enoki’s smile faded as he looked a little taken aback by Yuzu’s cutting words, “Let me sound a bit more professional in front of my customers.”

“I’m your customer. She’s just the money.” Yuzu said, referring to Char Char. “Let’s see the mushrooms.”

Grumbling under his breath, Enoki popped open the small hinge and opened up the box. Filling about half of the box were a number of light tan-coloured mushrooms with a chalky texture. Enoki reached inside to pull one out to show them.

“See, these mushrooms are in great condition. You can see the honeycomb shapes under the cap are still intact.” 

“You said they were egg sized.” Yuzu said. “I was expecting chicken eggs, not pigeon.”

“They’re egg sized when fresh.” Enoki said, “But there’s no way you’re getting fresh Biltishroom here.”

“Is it safe to touch?” Char Char asked, looking closely at the mushroom. It didn’t look particularly special to her.

“Oh, yes. It’s not a really potent mushroom. You’d have to eat several of them before you really got sick.” Enoki said, placing the sample back gently in the box. “Uh, but that’s just normal for these mushrooms. They haven’t lost any potency from the drying process. Anyways, it seems my memory was right, I only have half the box left. And with the price we agreed on...”

He drifted off, looking at Yuzu, wondering if she was going to haggle him down.

“Twelve bells a head.” Yuzu said, causing him to smile brightly.

“Right! Well, I have seven and a half marks worth of heads here - let’s make it an even seven.” Enoki didn’t put any effort to hide the relief on his face. “A discount for your years of patronage.”

“Technically you’re my patron.” Yuzu pointed out, “I don’t think I’ve bought any mushrooms from you.”

“Your brother buys from me! The thin one, not the loud one.” Enoki said, “Sorry, I can’t remember his name.”

“Here you go.” Char Char said, counting out the silver coins from her pouch. “Thank you very much, Enoki.”

“Thank you.” Enoki smiled, bowing his head graciously as he received the payment. “If that’s everything, I have to run. Sorry to keep things short.”

“Go ahead.” Yuzu nodded.

“Feel free to stay here for a bit if you’d like.” Enoki said, “See you again soon!”

He quickly disappeared into the crowd as Char Char and Yuzu waved to him. 

“I wonder why he’s in such a rush.” Char Char said.

“His friend is sick.” Yuzu said simply, “It sounds a lot like what you described.”

“Really?” Char Char frowned, looking at the box, “Enoki said that it would take a few of these just to treat one person... If there are more people that are sick, then this isn’t enough.”

“Well, actually he said it would take a few to make a poison out of it.” Yuzu corrected Char Char, who frowned.

“Still, it’s not enough. I hope that the two people I met will have more.” Char Char thought quietly for a moment, “It’s only a quarter after five. If we take a carriage we can deliver these to the clinic and still make it back by nine.”

“Uh, you go ahead.” Yuzu said. “I just remembered that I have to pick up groceries for Zwei.”

As soon as Yuzu stuttered out the excuse she regretted it. It was the possibly the lamest excuse she could have thought of. Char Char seemed to take it in stride as she nodded. “Okay.”

Char Char picked up the box and gently placed it in her satchel bag. “Well, wish me luck. Hopefully the cleric will be at the clinic when I get there.”

“Good luck.” Yuzu said. She could feel her friend’s disappointment, but didn’t know what to say to make things better. 

Char Char hesitated a moment, and then suddenly thrust herself at Yuzu in a heartfelt hug. “Thank you so much for helping me.” 

Then she ran off.

Yuzu frowned as she watched Char Char leave, feeling like an awful friend. But then again, this was normal for her. She sighed as she considered chasing after Char Char to join her at the clinic, but felt that the scene of her asking to come along after already saying no would be too awkward.

“You found him after all!” The vendor in the stall beside her called out to her.

“Ah. Yeah.” Yuzu snapped out of her thoughts as she looked over to the man, who seemed to be in a mood to ask her about the exchange. “Sorry Ramie, I have to go.”

She took off towards the tea shop, not letting the vendor respond.

After a moment he scratched his head, muttering to himself, “How did she know my name?”

 

13