Chapter 71 – One Foot in the Door
206 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 71 - One Foot in the Door

Char Char hunched forwards on the couch, her eyes burning a hole into the floor as she was overcome with feelings of being lost and overwhelmed. Firuzeh sat silently beside her while Kai leaned against the wall in the corner of the the room with his arms crossed.

The door shut and the room fell quiet as Goro left her to think about the decision.

“How are you feeling?” Firuzeh asked at length.

“You mean physically, or...” Char Char asked.

“Both. You look unwell. Do you need to lie down?”

Char Char shook her head, “I’m fine. I feel a bit tired, but I’m fine for now. I just... don’t know what I should do.”

“To be honest, I’m surprised that Goro offered you the catalyst.” Firuzeh said, “I never would have expected it.”

“Isn’t that how he always is, though?” Kai smirked. “Unpredictability is basically our creed here. That’s what makes it interesting.”

“He made it sound like if I don’t take it, I’ll probably die.” The words came smoothly out of Char Char’s lips. They didn’t feel real. “He didn’t even answer what exactly a ‘catalyst’ is, either.”

“Mmm.” Firuzeh looked thoughtful for a moment as she said, “It’s a bit complicated, I guess.”

“Simply put, we’re special.” Kai said. “Me, Firuzeh, the Boss. We’re not normal people. We’re Exalted.”

“Exalted...” Char Char repeated quietly.

“The world - no, the universe, is not just composed of this physical world that you see. There are energies and mystical planes that influence it.” Firuzeh explained, “As Exalted we can access those energies and manipulate them. In order to use those energies, though, you need to synchronize with them. A catalyst is a potion that changes your body so that you can access them.”

“So, both you and Kai took a catalyst?” Char Char asked, “And now you have powers?”

“Yes,” Firuzeh nodded, “Although we didn’t take the same one.”

“I see...” Char Char said.

“It’s a pretty horrible experience.” Kai said, “Your body feels like it’s getting ripped apart. Or you feel like you are splitting into different people. Some people go insane from it.”

“It can certainly be bad...” Firuzeh nodded, her eyes growing a bit distant as she recalled her own experience with catalysts, “Most people survive taking the catalyst, though. After that is ‘digestion’, where the energy of the catalyst integrates with the body. Depending on the person this can take months or even years.”

Char Char looked down at her lap, scratching absentmindedly at her arms. She stopped suddenly as she realized that small red spots had begun to show under her skin. She swallowed hard as she stopped itching and clenched her fists. “If I end up taking it... what’s it going to cost me?” 

“Catalysts aren’t usually for sale.” Firuzeh said, “In this country there are official Exalted, who are registered with the government and are closely watched, and there are unofficial ones who have to stay hidden from the officials.”

“We’re not official, by the way.” Kai said, “But as long as we don’t cause any trouble or show off our abilities in public, the government usually ignores us.”

“Us?” Char Char asked.

“The Red Lion Security Company. We are a small group that contracts out to merchants to protect them on the road. Because of our abilities, we have quite a good reputation.” Kai replied. “If you take the catalyst, I bet the Boss will ask you to join us.”

Char Char frowned, “I’m still in school, though. And I don’t live here.”

“Well, if you become an Exalted I think those two things will probably not be quite so important anymore.” Kai grinned, then added, “And if you don’t, well... I don’t think they’ll be important either, given that you’ll be de-“

“Kai!” Firuzeh said sharply.

Char Char’s shoulders sunk even further down. “If I take it... what kind of powers will I get? What kind of things will I have to do for the company?”

“You’ll have to ask the boss that.” Kai said, “I don’t know how many different catalysts he has. Maybe he only has the one. It’s probably similar to mine or Firuzeh’s?”

He looked at Firuzeh who nodded, “The formulas for Catalysts are closely guarded secrets that require special knowledge. If it’s a catalyst that Goro himself has prepared then it is almost certainly from our domain.”

Firuzeh looked at Char Char thoughtfully, “If you’re going to take the catalyst, then you should know at least a little of what you’re getting into.”

Char Char frowned, shaking her head, “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I don’t think I’d get it even if you explained it to me all night. But... just tell me one thing... Will I have to do anything bad?”

Kai glanced at Firuzeh, who returned the gaze. After a moment Kai slowly said, “Define ‘bad’.”

“Hurting people... Stealing things... Breaking the law.” Char Char said softly.

“Oh, definitely. All three.” Kai almost laughed, but a sharp look from Firuzeh made him stifle it to a smirk.

Char Char seemed to slump even more as Firuzeh put a hand gently on Char Char’s leg, “The world of Exalted is not a friendly one. But if it helps you feel better, we don’t act out of malice or evil. The people we hurt are the ones attacking what we’re trying to protect.”

“The things we steal are the things that belonged to us anyways.” Kai said. “And technically the moment you drink that catalyst you’d be breaking the law.”

“Your grandfather is rich, right?” Firuzeh said gently, “If we can rush you back to him, perhaps he can find a doctor for you. Maybe this isn’t the only way.”

“Do you actually think it would work?” Char Char looked up at Firuzeh for the first time in the conversation. 

“Well-“ Firuzeh looked away, “I can’t say that the chances of you surviving is impossible...”

It was clear from her expression that Firuzeh believed that Char Char wouldn’t last the night. Char Char nodded as she stood up. “I see. Thank you. I think I’m going to see Goro now.”

She had not decided whether or not she would take the catalyst. Even if her life was at stake, she didn’t want to make a deal that she would regret later. If the price of the catalyst was too much or against her values, then she would take her chances and go to her grandfather for help. In addition, taking the catalyst wasn’t a surefire cure for the Devileyes, it would only increase her chances of survival. Therefore it made no sense to make a deal that would put her in a bad position.

I’ll just have to channel my inner Yuzu... Char Char thought to herself as she prepared mentally to face the Boss.

“One thing before you go.” Firuzeh said as Char Char reached the door.

“Mm?” Char Char glanced back.

“...” Firuzeh hesitated before smiling and saying, “I just want to say that whichever choice you make, I’ll do everything I can to help you.”

“Thank you.” A smile flickered on Char Char’s lips before she left the room.

When the door had shut, Kai scoffed and walked to where Firuzeh was sitting, “Why didn’t you ask her?”

“I didn’t want to put any more pressure on her... There’s already enough for her to think about.” Firuzeh shrugged. “Besides, if my intuition is right, then there will definitely be plenty of opportunity to ask her later.”

They both looked over to the door where the girl had left with thoughtful looks. They were both thinking about the same thing - the message that they had received from out of nowhere. Without it, they would never have ventured out into the street. Char Char would have been overcome by the Keeper’s Gaze before the hour ended. 

They looked at each other as they recalled the vision of Char Char outside the theatre, the soft illusory voice that commanded them to save her, and the fleeting glimpse of white hair flowing in a white world.

~

Char Char found Goro in the next room, where he was waiting while watching the open doorway.  This room was smaller, with a single window, a desk and several chairs. It looked like the kind of office that a detective or a lawyer would meet clients in. 

The huge man was sitting at the desk, twiddling with the vial of catalyst in his fingers. He had a stoic expression on his face as he waited patiently for Char Char to enter the room.

“Come, sit.” He said, “Ask me whatever questions you have.”

Char Char nodded and sat down. Before she walked into the room she had a list of things that she wanted to ask, but her mind suddenly went blank as she sat nervously across from the huge man. All she could think of was that she had never seen such a large person before. He had a heavy cologne that smelled of spices that only increased her nausea.

She fought the urge to itch her arms.

“Did you talk to Firuzeh?” He asked after a moment of silence.

“Yes.” Char Char said, taking a seat across the desk, “They explained a bit to me about what a catalyst is... and what Exalted are.”

“Good.” He said, waiting for her to continue.

“I have already met some people who... are probably Exalted.” Char Char said, choosing her words carefully, “If I take the catalyst, will I become like them?”

“In a fashion.” Goro said. “An Exalted’s powers and qualities depend heavily on the Domain that they fall under.”

“What Domain are you?” Char Char asked.

Goro only smiled enigmatically, “That is something I can only tell you once you’ve agreed to take the catalyst.”

“Then... What Domain will I be after taking the catalyst?” Char Char asked.

“I can’t tell you that either. This kind of information is quite important to keep secret. However, I can explain what qualities you will gain, to help you make your decision.” Goro said, “The basic qualities are, your sense of awareness will increase dramatically. You will gain the quality of being more persuasive. And you will be able to manipulate small flames.”

Char Char thought carefully about the description. To be honest, they didn’t sound like particularly interesting powers. Except for being able to manipulate flames. She recalled the performance that Edwin put on, where he had lit a number of candles with only his mind. At the time she had been extremely impressed and excited. 

However... in comparison to what Reid was able to do, this seems kind of lackluster. Char Char frowned as she said, “And what do you want in return for this?”

Goro smiled, opening his palms in a welcoming manner. “It’s simple. I would like to hire you to work for the company.”

Char Char blinked as she remembered the few things that she knew about this company - it was a security company that specialized in protecting trade caravans... from bandits.

“Hire me? But I- I don’t know how to fight.” Char Char said, biting her lip, “And I can’t really travel a lot- I still have school which I’m going back to in the fall, and my grandfather...”

Goro laughed suddenly as he slapped the table in amusement. The entire desk shuddered, as if it were about to explode under his casual strike. “You have it wrong! I don’t mean to hire you as a guard, little Char. I have plenty of tough, strong people to do that for me.”

“No. There is a very specific job which I am hiring you for. It’s not dangerous, it won’t take longer than two weeks, and it won’t require you to leave the city. If you agree, then that alone would be enough for me to consider the debt paid off. I am offering this to you, because it is something that only you can do.”

Char Char frowned in confusion.  

“Something only I can do?” 

11