Chapter 72 – Something Only She Can Do
220 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 72 - Something Only She Can Do

“You see.” Goro said, leaning forward, “In the security business there are many kinds of clients. And if you get a reputation with a particular group of clients, then it is very easy to end up ‘stuck’ in that tiny niche.”

“For Red Lion Security, my company which I built from the ground up, this niche is trade caravans.” Goro sighed, “It is not good work. Long, tiresome hours. Expensive. Bandits can attack you at their leisure, when the situation is best for them.”

“I have been trying for a long time to break out of that. I think about it every night.” Goro tapped his head with an exhausted expression, “My reputation in caravan security is top of the top, but that means nothing outside of that niche.”

Char Char frowned, still not understanding what Goro was leading up to. “What kind of work are you trying to get?”

“Personal security for the nobility.” Goro smiled, “And that is why this collaboration is perfect for us.”

“You... want me to get my grandfather to hire you?” Char Char asked.

“No, not exactly.” Goro said, “Your grandfather is in the trade business, so although I could probably sell my services to him quite easily, it wouldn’t get me out of my predicament.”

He leaned back in his chair as he began fiddling with the vial once more, “However, your grandfather Sansen Zhao is quite well received in upper society and no doubt attends many balls and events.”

Char Char nodded an affirmative, “I’ve gone to one or two, he invites me to come with him. He always introduces me to important sounding people, although I don’t really know what they do.”

“Exactly.” Goro’s teeth shone as his lips curled into a big smile, “What I want you to do is exactly what you’ve already done. Go to the balls, and meet important sounding people. Find out what they’re concerned about, what sorts of needs that they have that my company perhaps could provide. You don’t have to directly sell Red Lion Security to them - in fact, being so direct would probably turn them away. However if I were to learn some names and be aware of their issues, then I could call on them personally and have a much better chance to pitch my services.”

“I see...” Char Char said, thinking seriously about it. To be honest, it didn’t sound that bad at all. Especially if she didn’t have to specifically market the company.

“To that end, the terms of your contract with me will be this - attend at least three balls or events in the next two weeks, in addition to the Five King Grand Ball that is held by Lord Noga on the grand opening night of the festival. Your grandfather is no doubt going to be attending many events, so you’ll be able to choose the ones that interest you.”

“After each event, you can come back here and report what you’ve learned and who you’ve met. My intent is to find a client among the upper class by the time of the Festival - after all, for such a large event there is a higher demand for specialized security. Even if I don’t find such an opportunity, we can consider your debt paid off. However, if I am able to find a client, I will reward you in kind.”

“So in return for saving my life and making me an Exalted... you want me to be a spy for you?” Char Char asked.

“The word is ‘socialite’.” Goro said, then as an afterthought he added, “And after tonight’s events, I imagine that the security sector will be in high demand in the next few weeks, making this the perfect opportunity.”

Char Char nodded, “Okay.”

Goro reached over the table and placed the vial in front of Char Char. She once again admired the translucent metallic flat-bottomed tube filled with the oily amber coloured liquid. A fine silt swirled inside, glittering darkly.

“Ingesting a catalyst is not a pleasant experience.” Goro said, “It will be unlike anything you’ve ever gone through before. All I can say as advice is, believe in yourself. Before you drink it, picture the one goal you are striving towards above everything else and hold onto it tightly. Then you must swallow the entire contents of the tube in one motion, as soon as you remove the cap. Don’t leave behind a single drop.”

Char Char nodded, picking up the vial. The cap was clamped tightly with wire, which she unwound. Just before she removed the cap she hesitated.

“Is... Is it dangerous?” Char Char asked, “And you said it won’t cure the Devileyes...”

“The catalyst strengthens your body and spirit. The ‘Devileyes’ as you call it, can only harm people with weak spirits.” Goro said, “After you take in the catalyst, depending on how it reacts to you, you may immediately be stronger, or you may even be weaker than you are now. As I said before, this isn’t a cure. We are simply increasing your chances of survival.”

“But is that really something you need to worry about?” He shrugged, “All you have to do is survive.”

Char Char nodded. She’d already decided on her goal as soon as Goro had told her to make one. She opened the cap, no longer hesitating as she downed the oily liquid in one motion.

Her entire throat instantly began burning as if she’d breathed in bottled fire. The empty vial clattered to the floor as she lurched forward, grasping onto the edge of the table. Waves of heat shimmered off her arms as her whole body felt like it was being overcharged with an intense fiery energy.

She let out a sharp cry of pain as she looked up to Goro for help. The massive man had a cold, stern expression on his face as he sat unmoving in his chair, watching her as her skin began cracking over her entire body. Vibrant orange flames licked the edges of the cracks as the flesh beneath her skin came alight with fire.

Her entire body spasmed in pain as her eyes locked onto Goro’s, a look of fury began building up in her soul as a single thought erupted in her mind.

He betrayed me!

The thought burst in her mind and ran rampant through her broiling body as she could only think about how she had been tricked into taking the potion. It was all a lie, wasn’t it? The deal, the job offer, the words that made her feel special and important - all of that was solely to trick her into taking the potion.

An angry growl burst from her throat as she lurched forward onto the table, grasping at the collar of Goro’s jacket and yanking it towards her. The man did not budge as he continued staring down at her impassively. The flames emitting from her arms and body licked at the table, blackening the wood where they touched. Loose papers and stationary scattered and caught aflame.

Her entire body trembled as the cracked skin began sloughing off of her body, falling onto the desk and floor in burnt chunks of ash. Her flesh was molten as the energy within her continued to build up. Her long hair shimmered in the air in fiery orange red strands. Sticky flares burst out of her body, splashing onto her surroundings as her body started losing its cohesiveness. Her eyes burned and glowed with fire.

Plop, plop! Her body began dripping off and evaporating in flames as her mind was consumed by fury.

“Don’t lose yourself in your emotions.” Goro commanded in a deep voice, not even flinching from the intense heat radiating off of her. The words had a spiritual power to them that struck a chord deep within her. “What is your goal, Char Char?”

“My goal...” Char Char hesitated, the rage that had overtaken her suddenly wavering. The collar of the uniform in Char Char’s hand smouldered as she stopped and hesitated.

“My goal is to help people.” Char Char said, loosening her grip. “To do good. To be a hero. Even if I’m scared. Even if I’m weak. Even if I die.”

As she spoke the words and focused, the molten parts of her body began condensing into a shimmering orange light, like a red hot ingot straight out of a blacksmith’s furnace. Her entire body glowed brighter and brighter, but instead of looking like it was going to erupt form the energy, it grew more coherent.

Char Char stepped backwards, her entire body radiant and smooth.

“It might sound naive and silly.” She said, “But I want to help people. With all my heart.”

She heard an illusory chime that seemed to ring through her body as the energy that had filled her to a bursting point condensed and calmed down. Her skin reformed on top, sealing the light within. As her body cooled down, Goro stood out of his chair and removed his jacket, tossing it onto her.

This was because her clothes had all burned up in the inferno. At her feet was a pile of ashes and blackened coins and other items that had been on her person. The jacket was so large that it covered her entire body and hung down to her knees.

“How do you feel?” Goro asked when the last bits of fiery light had faded.

Char Char pulled the jacket close over her body as she blushed. She was at a loss for words as her whole body still buzzed with an energy that was dying down. All her senses felt heightened, which only made her feeling of nakedness worse.

“Sit.” Goro said simply. He was completely calm, unaffected by the sight of the bashful girl. “Before you collapse.”

Char Char followed his order without thinking as a wave of weakness suddenly washed over her. The huge amount of energy that the catalyst had imparted on her felt like it was rapidly evaporating out of her body. Her limbs began aching as she felt like she had been stretched out.

She leaned forward, resting her arms on the desk to support herself. Her eyes fell down to the still smouldering burn marks that had been scorched on its surface. As she recovered, the feeling of embarrassment made way for a different one.

Her body trembled as she realized the incredible nature of the transformation that she had just undergone. Her eyes locked on Goro’s as he read her bewildered expression.

“You are now a Candidate of the Chaos Domain, Little Char.” Goro sat leisurely back in his chair, his eyes twinkling.

“Welcome to the World of the Exalted.”

 

End of Book 1

12