Chapter 79 – Amigara District
206 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 79 - Amigara District

Chief Fang nodded in approval at Finn and Zwei, not surprised by their unhesitating acceptance of the assignment.

“Good.” He said simply without smiling,  “I have many expectations for the two of you.”

The two of us? Finn scoffed inwardly. He didn’t appreciate being placed in the same category as this completely green rookie, who had only just entered the force. He kept his expression neutral as he asked, “Which department are we formally under?”

Finn expected the answer to be Special Ops, the department that handled secretive and unique matters, particularly those involving Exalted. Therefore Finn was surprised when Chief Fang said, “You won’t be under a department. Officially, your position in the police will be ‘Inspector’, and your task will be investigating the details of last night. You don’t need to provide specific information to anyone. Simply state that it is confidential, and if necessary provide your badge number.”

“Speaking of that.” Chief Fang retrieved two silver badges inset into black leather cases and presented them to Finn and Zwei, “Here are your new badges. The badge numbers on the back are legitimate, but no one will have the authority to inquire about the details of your positions on the force.”

Finn pocketed the badge casually without examining it, putting on the air of experience that he hoped would be caught by the rookie behind him. The badge was a symbol of strength and justice and to hold one was a point of pride. This was something that was ingrained into every recruit’s minds. In his mind, Zwei would be carefully fondling the new badge while also regarding Finn with respect.

The image was so tempting that Finn allowed himself to peek behind at Zwei as Chief Fang finished handing over the badge. The younger man received the badge with both hands in a respectful manner, but didn’t even open the case to look at the silver medallion. He simply held it in his lap as if he had received something of no consequence. If Zwei was excited by receiving the badge, he showed no signs of it.

Chief Fang didn’t notice Finn’s glance back and continued to speak.

“Your new supervisor is a man who I have worked with for decades. He is a specialist at these kinds of investigations. Now that you have both accepted this assignment I will turn you over to him.” Chief Fang said, pulling out an envelope from his pocket.

“This envelope contains the details for meeting with him. The two of you are to memorize its contents and then head straight there.”

As he was sitting closer to the Chief, Finn received the letter and opened it. Zwei shifted places and leaned over the back of Finn’s seat to take a look. On the plain white parchment was a house address in the northeast side of the city and nothing else.

Finn returned the paper and envelope to Chief Fang and looked back at his ‘partner’, “We’re to go together?”

“Yes.” Chief Fang said, “You should charter a police carriage, but only to the general area. Walk the rest of the way so no one knows your meeting place.”

“You are now special inspectors in the service of Lord Noga. Conduct yourselves well, don’t generate unnecessary attention. Remain inconspicuous so you can succeed in your investigations.” Chief Fang dismissed them with a final reminder, “From this moment on, don’t contact me or any other Chiefs directly. You answer only to your supervisor.”

“What’s his name? What does he look like?” Zwei asked as the two young officers rose from their seats.

“His name is Locke. As for his appearance... You’ll have to see for yourself.” Chief Fang simply replied.

The Chief left the room first. Finn and Zwei waited for a few minutes per the Chief’s instructions, then left together, heading down to the street to where the chartered carriages gathered behind the station. 

“Amigara district.” Finn instructed the driver, before stepping into the private coach behind Zwei. This district was at the very outskirts of the city and was one of the poorest areas in Noga. It used to be a village by the same name, but had been assimilated by the city as Noga expanded. Finn was familiar with the neighborhood from his childhood, having grown up nearby.

Finn eyed his companion briefly as he took the opposite seat, sizing him up. Zwei had pale, smooth skin and clean, decent clothing. It was unlikely that he was from a poor family. He didn’t have any accessories, and his shoes were not leather. His hands did not look like they were used for labour and he didn’t have the body of a tradesperson. Likely he was the child of a mid-class family. Perhaps the son of an owner of a restaurant or small business. The carriage started forward with a jolt, then began heading down the streets with a steady rumble.

“A two member task force.” Zwei said simply without looking away from the window, “To investigate the death of a Chief of Police.”

His tone was flat and lazy, but there was a weight to them that indicated he was pointing out the fact as a peculiarity.

“You thought it was strange too, I take it.” Finn rested his arm on the opposite windowsill, eyeing his relaxed partner. “We’re a special task force but we’re not in Special Ops. We’re investigating a high-profile case but instructed to keep an extremely low profile, even hiding our involvement from the other departments.”

“We’re not in any department.” Zwei said, crossing one leg over the other as he leaned back on the seat and looked up at the ceiling. “I bet our supervisor isn’t part of the police.”

“Government, perhaps. Or Military.” Finn said, looking idly out of the window curtains which were pulled shut. He brushed the curtain aside just a sliver as he watched the passing scenery. These were all things which he’d considered already, but he didn’t say so. There was no point in acting too arrogant or knowledgable in front of his new partner. No, it was better if he acted amiably and built a good repoire.

His opinion of Zwei increased a bit as he decided that his new partner was not as simple as Zwei’s laid back appearance made him appear. At the very least wasn’t simply listening to instructions, but was analyzing the situation in his head.

The conversation didn’t continue as both young men fell silent. Finn was never one for small talk, and he had many things to think about. Zwei closed his eyes and seemed to be napping as the carriage rumbled down the street for the hour that it took to reach the Amigara district. 

Amigara’s main impression was that it was old and worn down. It was full of low plaster-walled houses with brown shingled roofs. It had an older style of construction, with dark brown wooden framing that was simpler and more angled than the sharp, square geometric lines popular in the more modern parts of the city. 

The buildings here were tired looking, with cracked, faded walls and shuttered glass-less windows. The roads were uneven and made of packed dirt. Weeds flourished along the side of the roads and along the edges of the buildings. In many places thick, winding vines had taken over parts of the roads and alleys or crawled along and out of the cracks in walls. These vines were foreign looking and newly grown overnight.

There were a few buildings that had been completely overrun with vines and foliage, and several empty lots that were being filled with chopped up vegetation from the workers who were clearing out the vines along the roads. Multiple plumes of smoke rose into the morning sky from several of these lots where piles of vegetation were being burned. 

At present the carriage slowed to a stop and there were two sharp raps on the front wall of carriage from the driver, signaling that they had reached their destination. Zwei’s eyes peeked open and looked at Finn who nodded and disembarked.

After dismissing the driver, the pair began walking to the address that had been written on the envelope - 717 Eckert Way. Along the way they passed by many residents and workers, all of whom were thin and wore old, patched clothing. These were citizens of Noga who were labourers and caretakers, who made a meagre living and only ate meat once a week, if that. 

They lived in cramped houses with their entire extended family, going back three or four generations. Their children would only go to the government run school until they were eleven, and then they would start working to help support the family. 

Finn’s uniform attracted the eyes of many people as they walked down the street. He kept his eyes forward to avoid looking too friendly. After all, he didn’t have time to wander. Still, that didn’t keep people from approaching or calling out to him.

“Officer, my mother is sick, can you please help?”

“Sir, is there help coming to help clear the alleys of the vines?”

“What do we do about the eyed vines?”

Finn’s responses were curt as he didn’t even waste time slowing down to answer them, “Call a doctor. I’m on other official business. Stay away and wait for instructions.”

Zwei, who was not dressed in a uniform, remained quiet as he walked along side Finn.

Before long they reached the address of their destination. It was a simple house, with no special qualities. It was old and there was a large plaster crack that extended from the corner of the door frame up diagonally to the roof. The dirt around the foundations of the house were overgrown with weeds, and part of the roof looked like it was sagging down, ready to collapse.

Even the house itself had no number, but the houses to its left were 713 and 715, and to its right was an empty field full of brambles and trees. On the other side of the street the numbers were even. They walked to the other side of the field and found house 727. There was no one around, this was the kind of neighborhood only residents would enter, and many of the houses looked like they could be abandoned.

“It has to be this one.” Finn said, with a tone of uncertainty. He turned around to see Zwei crouching down by one of the bushes in front of the house, peering into the branches. “What’s wrong?”

“There’s a cat.” Zwei said, reaching out gently. 

After a moment, a brown and black short haired cat emerged partway from the bush, fixated on what was in Zwei’s hand. He dropped the piece of dried meat on the floor and gently pet the cat.

“It’s not a stray.” Zwei said, “Or at least, it’s quite used to people.”

“I didn’t think you were the kind of person who liked animals.” Finn said, not taking much interest in the cat.

“I wouldn’t say I am,” Zwei stood up and shrugged, “Anyways. Shall we try knocking on the door?”

The house was raised slightly on its wooden foundation, with three steps leading up to the door. Their footsteps sounded heavily on the wooden planks which creaked under their weight.

Finn knocked on the door firmly, listening carefully for any sound inside. As he listened he noticed Zwei casually scanning the empty street. He tried the doorknob but it was locked.

After a minute he knocked again, exchanging a bemused look with Zwei. The interior of the house was extremely quiet.

“Maybe there’s a back door?” Zwei muttered.

As the pair turned to walk down the steps they heard the click of a latch.

They turned to see the door slowly swinging open, revealing a dark and empty corridor behind it.

 

 

11