Chapter 86 – Older and Wiser
213 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 86 - Older and Wiser

Char Char was sure that her deduction was correct. After all, she had prayed to the lost maiden over the last two days at her shrine. Even though she hadn’t felt any spiritual influence, looking back on her encounter with the wolves and the monster she felt that it suddenly made sense how she was able to survive.

Had the lost maiden been inside the shrine all these years? Had she watched over and protected Char Char throughout her childhood? Or perhaps the spirit was asleep or dormant, and woke up only recently. After waking up, she had sensed the danger in the town and used her power to protect the people and save Char Char directly.

Char Char made a silent prayer to the maiden, thanking her sincerely.

As the carriage rumbled down the street, Char Char noted that the scenery of the town had changed a lot, even compared to the morning. The vines seemed to be out of control, and the trees were in full bloom. The fragrant scent of pollen drifted through the chill night air. It was pleasant, yet unfamiliar.

“Your grandfather had me look into your new friends at the Security Company.” Corbin Nao broke the silence, his elbow propped against the arm rest as he looked casually across the interior to Char Char. “You’ve caused him a lot of trouble and worry with your actions.”

“I didn’t do anything wrong.” Char Char snuffed, “Helping people was the right thing to do.”

“But now that you are an Exalted, you should know that that sort of idealism will get you killed.” Corbin said.

Char Char looked over at the man, who had a serious look on his face. Now that she was an Exalted, she had even less reason to respect his opinions. She frowned, “Like you’d know anything about that.”

“You’d be surprised about what I know.” He said, appearing to look calm and sagely. However Char Char didn’t buy the act.

“Oh really? But you’re just my grandfather’s gopher.” Char Char said.

The austere expression on Corbin’s face was suddenly broken as his lips tightened and he looked away, his fingers irritatedly tapping the armrest. Char Char hid a grin as she knew that she had hit a sore spot with her comment.

“I am your grandfather’s business partner.” He stressed, “And I am currently the acting president of North Kumin Imported. Your grandfather entrusts me to handle his most difficult issues.”

His eyes shot daggers at Char Char as he emphasized the end of his sentence, labeling her clearly as one of those ‘difficult issues’. Char Char rolled her eyes and looked out the window.

“I will arrange a meeting with the head of the security company so that we can have them guide you with your new Exalted pathway.” Corbin said, “As well, I will appoint a tutor to educate you on the more general aspects of the Exalted world.”

“I don’t need you to arrange anything.” Char Char said, “I know where their office is.” On the other hand, the sound of a tutor peaked her interest. She wondered what such a tutor would look like. Would he be a pious and wise monk like Hakuya? Or perhaps a seasoned, capable fighter like Reid?

“The first thing you’ll learn is to not trust people who give you things like catalysts for free.” Corbin said, “The motivation of these people are suspect, no matter how they try to justify their actions.”

“Whatever.” Char Char said, “Soon I’ll be strong enough that you’ll be taking orders from me.”

“I swear, the day that happens is the day I die.” Corbin grumbled, turning his head away as he was no longer in the mood to talk.

Char Char laughed, seeing that she had completely won the verbal battle.

The luxurious carriage passed through the gate at the front of the manor and pulled up to the front doors. Sitting on the steps was a lone figure waiting underneath an oil lamp. He was dressed in a pair of breeches and a collared shirt. His bald head shone under the lamp light.

It was Edwin, but dressed in regular clothes he looked like any other boy. Since she’d only seen him in his monk robes it wasn’t until Char Char alighted from the carriage that she recognized who it was.

“Char Char!” He said, standing up. There was a concerned look on his face that Char Char immediately picked up on. Despite the feeling of urgency in his expression, he held back from speaking his mind right away and bowed to her cordially, “Um- Uh, welcome back.”

“Good evening.” She replied with a polite smile, deciding to let him take the initiative.

“Do you.. I mean, I have something I need to ask. My lodestone went missing, and I am sure that I’d left it in my bag.”

Char Char paused for a moment, reading between the lines and understanding that the monk was basically accusing her of the act. Her smile remained as she nodded, “I’m sorry. I did take it.”

So much had happened since the night that she had stolen away with the lodestone that she felt like she was a completely different person. She was older and wiser now, so it was easy for her to admit fault here.

“R-really?” Edwin’s mouth was agape as he didn’t expect her to be so blunt about stealing his property. “Where is it? We have to go get it right now!”

At this point Corbin Nao walked up beside them, holding a heavy, overflowing briefcase. Not wanting Corbin to be involved Char Char subtly shot a glance at Edwin and said, “Okay, let’s go inside.”

A few minutes later Char Char led him into a small study on the second floor. Shutting the door she said, “I don’t have it.”

Edwin’s face fell, “What do you mean?”

“I lost it in the forest.” Char Char said, “Remember that shrine we visited? I went up there in the middle of the night and was attacked by wolves. I must have dropped it there because I don’t remember seeing it after that.”

Edwin clutched his head with his hands as he rushed to the door, “We have to go get it now! It’s extremely important!”

Char Char stepped aside with a frown on her face, letting Edwin run into the hallway. “In the middle of the night? With all the strange things going on in the forest? Are you sure that that’s a good idea?”

Edwin paused, looking indecisive for a moment before he said, “I-It’s fine...! I’m a Candidate now! So whatever’s out there I’ll be able to handle it!”

Char Char leaned against the door frame, crossing her arms as she shook her head, mimicking the attitude that she had seen from Reid in the clinic. “You don’t even know what’s out there. I do. Don’t be stupid.”

She pushed herself off the wall and began walking the other direction towards the stairs going towards the bedrooms. “We can go in the morning once it’s light out. I’ll ask grandpa to send some guards with us.”

“Besides.” She added coolly, “You’re not the only Candidate here.”

“What do you mean?” Edwin asked, confused.

Char Char looked over her shoulder with a smug grin and snapped her fingers. All the lamps in the hallway suddenly went out, shrouding them in darkness. Holding out her palm she lit a flame in the palm of her hand, illuminating her face from below in a vibrant orange light.

“I’ve advanced as well.”

With a smirk, Char Char closed her hand, snuffing out the flame, and then snapped her fingers again lighting up the hallway as it was before.

“We’ll head out in the morning.” Char Char said with a confident air as she walked away without looking back at Edwin.

Edwin stared at her with wide eyes. For a long time he didn’t move from the middle of the hallway, even after she’d left up the stairs.

~

After locking the door inside her room Char Char stumbled towards her bed, only making it halfway across the floor before falling to her knees. Her entire body trembled as she felt like her life energy was being sucked dry from within her.

Flame manipulation was one of the abilities that she had gained as a Candidate of the Rebel pathway. She had experimented in small amounts with it during the day, but putting on the lamp-lighting show for Edwin actually took a significant amount of concentration and energy. Though she had played it cool, as soon as she activated the flame manipulation she felt the Devileyes parasite within her awaken and start ravenously devouring her spirit.

This was why she hadn’t looked back after she reignited the lights. Her face had been contorted in pain as she resisted the parasite’s attack. It had taken all her willpower just to make it back to her room.

As she trembled on her knees, the sleeve on her left arm began to bulge out and writhe. There was a tearing of fabric as a thick green vine burst from her arm out of the wolf bite scars, rising into the air and unfurling a number of long, oscillating fronds. At the end of the vine a thick pulsating bulb prepared to bloom.

“No..!” Char Char grimaced, grabbing onto the vine with her right hand. Her entire body felt like it was churning itself inside out as she activated flame manipulation directly on the vine. The bright green leaves burst into fire as they shriveled and burned black. The pulsating bulb fell off from the stem and crumbled when it hit the floor.

Provoked by the attack, three more tendrils burst out from the sores on her arms. The pain was excruciating as she was being stabbed from the inside out. Bright red blood dripped from the wounds, staining the soft rug beneath her. Not giving in, Char Char clamped her trembling hands over the tendrils and ignited them until they fell to the floor in ashes.

Over and over she did this as the stench of smoke and burning vegetation rose into the air. With each tendril that she burned, more took their place, but each subsequent growth was thinner and weaker until finally Char Char lay curled up on the floor drenched in sweat and her own blood. No more vines emerged from her body.

The parasite still lived deep within her, but she had battled it to a stalemate, both her and the Devileyes exhausted of their energy.

An extremely pronounced feeling of strain permeated through her as she felt like her body would fall apart unless she continued to exert conscious effort to hold it together.

For a long time all she could do was breathe hoarsely with her eyes closed. She couldn’t even think about the pain and stress that she was under. It took everything she had just to keep herself from falling apart. Finally she recovered enough to push herself up to a half-sitting position. Her vision was still unfocused when her sixth sense triggered, alerting her to a person that was standing outside of her door.

This person who was holding a small mirror in their left hand seemed to sense that they were noticed and calmly walked away, leaving Char Char alone.

12