Chapter 116 – Rare Opportunity
226 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 116 - Rare Opportunity

The bright eyed Kumin girl who knelt at the front of the group had a huge smile on her face as she heard the voice of the maiden in her ears.

“White Maiden, as you requested I brought some of the sick patients with me today. Please heal them.” She prayed silently but enthusiastically.

She didn’t hear a response, but after a minute one of the ladies behind her began to exclaim in surprise.

“Oh! Oh! I feel something happening!”

All eyes turned to the middle-aged lady, who had stood up from her kneeling position out of shock. The shawl around her shoulders fell to the ground as she bared her arms, showing a large number of black, swollen sores. These sores began rapidly fading before everyone’s eyes.

“She’s real- the White Maiden is actually real!”

“Lord Noga bless us!”

The group of patients, as well as a few doctors and nurses who had come along, all stared at the healed woman with wide eyes.

“Everyone who wants to be healed, please pray with all your heart!” Char Char announced, a confident smile on her face. Her hands were on her hips as she stood in front of them in her security guard uniform. It was a strange outfit to be wearing while preaching, but with the looks that the small crowd of people gave her she may as well have been wearing temple robes.

“Once you’ve been healed, continue to pray and show your gratitude for the Maiden’s blessings.” Char Char instructed as the people around her resumed their kneeling position. The excited murmuring quickly quieted into earnest prayer.

Seeing that everyone had resumed praying Char Char turned back to the shrine and closed her eyes as she once again sent a heartfelt thanks to the Maiden.

~

Several meters away from the shrine, the elegant Firuzeh Asvadani watched over the group with a pensive expression. She stood apart from the police officers, forming a perimeter with them around the plateau to watch out for approaching threats.

She was standing beside one of the tall stone monoliths with her arms crossed, her long black hair draping elegantly over her shoulders.

“It’s so quiet.” Firuzeh sighed softly, though no one was around to hear her, “When we came yesterday, the woods were wild and difficult to get through. Today, it’s as if a red carpet was rolled out for us all the way to the shrine.”

Her hand habitually rose to her collarbone to grasp her pendant, which glimmered softly where the sunlight touched it.

She was here today on the premise that she was supervising and training Char Char in her new role as a recruit of the Red Lion Security Company. On the surface, this was a valid opportunity. The woods were currently dangerous and entry was prohibited to regular citizens. For this specially approved caravan, having a security detail was necessary to protect against the dangers lurking in the woods.

Dangers in this case referring to monsters and Life Domain cultists.

The officers were on alert, expecting to come across some troubles. However they hadn’t even heard the cry of a strange beast, much less come across one. The vegetation was dense and humid, even more so than the previous day when Firuzeh had journeyed to the shrine with Char Char. The jungle-like environment was full of the wild energies of Life.

However today the route seemed as if it was prepared specifically for their arrival. The path had changed, and was now wide and flat enough for the carriages to drive directly to the base of the plateau. Entire trees had been previously moved aside to make way for their procession.

To Firuzeh such a welcoming reception for their party had her spiritual intuition in full alarm, warning her that she was potentially walking into a trap. Yet she had kept her mouth shut and wore a calm expression as she directed the caravan towards the shrine.

This was because their peaceful journey to the shrine had all already been predicted by Him, the night before.

~

The night before, in the office of the Red Lion Security Company, Firuzeh knelt front of a small altar placed in the center of the room. She quietly lit a stick of incense between her fingers and set it in a small bowl as she relaxed her body and mind.

Across from her on the other side of the shrine the Boss was sitting cross-legged on the floor with his back facing her. His head was bowed and his hands propped on his knees at ninety degree angles. He was shirtless, the massive bulk of his back bare and shimmering with candlelight. His tanned skin was rough and scarred from many battles.

“The Police have agreed to take on the White Maiden’s request and bring patients to her shrine.” Firuzeh reported, “Although I’m not sure why.”

A dry, hacking cough came from the Boss as a voice said, “Why do you think Noga would agree to such a thing?”

This voice was deep in pitch, with a powerful timbre. It did not come from the Boss’ mouth, nor was it his voice.

“I don’t know...” Firuzeh shook her head, “You told me that the Maiden is not one of Noga’s followers, nor is she allied with him. So why would he support her? Especially since she asked for prayers… if people started worshiping the Maiden instead of Lord Noga, wouldn’t that cause him problems?”

“Heh, you’re not wrong.” The disembodied voice laughed dryly, “If this were ordinary times, Lord Noga would surely go after her rather than support her. If he had the strength to stop them himself, it wouldn’t have even come this far. But now the enemy is at his doorstep, tearing down his walls.”

“So… He’s looking for allies.” Firuzeh muttered, her eyes darkening as she came to the realization.

The flesh on the Boss’ bare back suddenly squirmed as a mouth formed in its center. The edges of its dark lips curled upward in a disturbingly wide cheshire grin, showing off a pristine white set of teeth. “Precisely.”

Firuzeh bowed her head respectfully, addressing the mouth, “My Lord.”

“Noga is in a tight spot. His allies are also in trouble and dealing with their own issues, they don’t have the ability to help.” The mouth chuckled mirthfully, “Now a mysterious maiden has appeared to cure the plague that is wreaking havoc on his capitol. Even though he knows nothing about her, he can only ask- no, beg- for her support, no?”

Firuzeh frowned, “If that’s the case, then this Maiden is in danger. Her shrine is deep within the forest, which is currently controlled by the Domain of Life. If she’s on Noga’s side, they would surely try to block off or even destroy the shrine, to put further pressure on Noga.”

“Hahaha, is that really your conclusion?” The mouth laughed, “No, I think the situation is quite the opposite. If I am correct, your caravan tomorrow will not only make it to the shrine unobstructed, but you won’t face any danger at all. Eh? What is with that confused expression? Is it not obvious? Heh heh heh.”

“Please enlighten me, my Lord.” Firuzeh said.

“Goro, care to explain?” The mouth asked the Boss, who up to this point had stayed out of the conversation.

“I’m not sure, my Lord.” He said without turning his head.

This response caused the mouth to laugh harder. The pair could only keep their heads bowed and wait for the mouth to continue.

“Very well, it won’t do for both of you to be so clueless. Let me give you a hint. The Maiden is from the Domain of Fate.”

“Fate…?” Firuzeh knit her eyebrows, “Do Exalted of that pathway even exist? I thought it was extinct…”

“Extinct? No.” The mouth smirked, “But coming across Fate is an exquisitely rare opportunity. What organization or being wouldn’t want Fate to be on their side? What fool would turn their back on Fate and make her their enemy?”

The mouth’s teeth gleamed as it bared them in a smile, “I do not know for what reason Fate has shown herself on the stage, but right now every actor in the region is sure to be rushing forward to make her acquaintance.”

~

The sun was high in the sky when the group in front of the shrine broke from their prayers and began standing up. Their eyes were bright as they spoke amongst each other, many of them walking over to Char Char and showing their gratitude.

The pretty Kumin girl graciously received their thanks, playing the part of a prayer leader perfectly - not too enthusiastic, not too solemn. The group adjourned to a nearby group of flat rocks, sitting under the shelter of trees that seemed to have been purposefully placed to block the sun. After attending to the group’s needs Char Char found Firuzeh and ran over.

“How did it go?” Firuzeh asked.

“It was… It was incredible!” Char Char said, “Over half of the patients were cured completely. Even the worst cases were partially healed.”

“I see.” Firuzeh nodded, “You’re taking a break for now, I take it?”

Char Char shook her head, “We should head back for the day. The Maiden told me that she reached her limit, and that we will need to return… She said that with more prayers she will be able to help more people.”

Her eyes were shining as she said, “Do you think we could build this shrine into something bigger? The path today was so much easier than it used to be, we could arrange regular trips for people to pray for Her blessings.”

“I wonder.” Firuzeh held back her reservations as she looked across the plateau. “It could happen, the Gods be willing…”

“Tonight I’m going to my grandfather’s ball.” Char Char brought up the previously arranged plan, “There will be a lot of influential and political figures there. Maybe I’ll be able to drum up some support.”

“As your supervisor I have to remind you that your primary goal should be to introduce our company to those figures.” Firuzeh smiled.

“Of course!” Char Char said, “I’ll definitely do that. But don’t you think it’ll be the perfect opportunity to help the people suffering from the disease?”

Firuzeh nodded, “Yes, absolutely. I’m sure that you’ll be able to find support.”

Especially after today, the news of the White Maiden’s shrine will be widespread. Firuzeh thought to herself. Even a fool would do what they could to gain Fate’s favour.

Char Char beamed as she excused herself to prepare the group to leave the forest. This was Firuzeh’s cue as she left her post and walked over to the shrine.

In addition to supervising Char Char and providing support for the operation, she had another assignment - to make acquaintances with the White Maiden, and offer the support of their company. Firuzeh felt the eyes of the other Exalted on her as she approached the shrine and knelt down in front of it to pray.

12